Inauguration piglets?

Waddy, KY

No electric at home this morning but of course work is powered up so here I am. Cooked breakfast on the wood stove this morning. I actually remembered to find the Coleman lantern before I went to bed last night. I just wonder how many lights will be on in the house when the electric comes back on because we kept going from room to room this morning turning on the lights out of habit! I think I turned them all off but I can't be sure. Darn! I think I left the cat inside! I sure hope I don't find an unwelcome surprise this afternoon when I get home.

Brownies sound pretty good. Kroger had some fresh strawberries that had a little bit of taste to them on sale Saturday for 99 cents a pound so I bit and bought some. Made a strawberry cake last night. What is it about store strawberries that they crunch? Red as a ruby and crunches like lettuce.

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

Kydaylilydlady wow you sure have some weather coming your way. Is it ice and snow ?
I found the same thing in strawberries from grocerys stores. THey sure look pretty but really taste funny.
I hope we get a good strawberry season this year. Last year was the pits. I didn't even bother .
A wood stove sure is a life saver isn't it. Wish we had one. I got gas stove so i m ok if we get a electric outage. But wood is nice.
nothing new here. snowing and inside kinda day. *sigh*

Waddy, KY

Snowing like a son of a gun right now. It's almost 2 inches in the parking lot where it was clear at 8:30 when I got in this morning. Roads weren't bad this morning once we got out of our driveway. It was sure dodge 'em trees and branches in the roads this morning though. Didn't see any powerlines down but I'm sure there are some somewhere. Apparently transformers were blowing in Louisville right and left.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Oh man. Hope they get yoru power back on soon. heard that it may be a couple of weeks. Glad ya able to check in though.

they pick them berries when they crunchy, just startign to turn and box them up and let natural boxign gases turn colors.

How's the piggies doing?

How does a person go abotu findign where there an animal sellign market at?

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Find the local feed store, an endless source of info...
=0) Jay

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks Jay. Think most of the Kentucky people and Indiana people without electricity right now.

Sure hope everybody and their animlas does ok. Be safe ya all.

Waddy, KY

Animals are doin' fine except we forgot to call the feed truck the other day and they can't get the feed truck up our drive. I think we may be able to get the feed wagon to the bottom of the hill with the tractor today and they can fill it and not get off the road.

Home and MIL is still without power. I'm betting Kathy is out too. Since we have power at work they really expect us to be here. Paul brought me to work this morning so he's to get lamp oil, batteries and a refill for the lantern. Supper came off the Fisher stove last night. He's planning to get the generator going today to cool down the freezers and hopefully get the cooking stove running long enough for somebody to fix supper. Then he'll go to our house and run our freezer and fridge for a while. A hot shower would be nice to work in there somewhere too!

Star, the extension office should be able to point you to a stockyard or someone that sells whatever animal you're looking for. Jay's right about the feed store too. They know who buys what kind of feeds.

Take care all!

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Well, at 5:00 p.m. tonight, I got my power back on. You all would not have been happy if you had come out to eat brownies and wallow with me. I made the brownies and about 10:30 on the 27th, our lights and computers starting surging. DH immediately shut off main power and went outside. Came in and said call the power company. Tried and it was busy, busy, busy. He said a line had come down in the field across the road and was arcing big time. I called the fire department and went outside. It looked like the woods were on fire, but pulsing fire. The fd came out and couldn't do anything. Power was totally cut off.

At 4:30 p.m. Weds, a knock on the door brought daughter, her hubby, and 3 children to my house. The roads were terrible, but it was 40 degrees in their house and getting colder. They couldn't find a shelter! They stayed with us until Sat a.m. when they got power back on. We all did okay despite no water, electricity. We have electric stove, but wood furnace that kept us warm. We used a small propane cookstove in the kitchen and wore extra clothes. With the temps impending 50 degrees yesterday, and thinking we would lose all of freezer meats that we sell at the farmers markets, we went out and bought a generator. We were able to watch the news last night and I could take the food out of the cooler.

It has been an experience and there are many to still keep in your prayers. Ironically, my son had a lot of damage to his house and never lost his power. He had a gaping hole in the side of his house from the wires being pulled down from a tree limb that broke off. the meter box and cable box were tore off along with the conduit pipe. What a mess.

So I am back and phone ringing now. Talk to y'all soon. Stay warm

:) Kathy

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I knwo yoru busy Kathy, but glad ya got power and checked in and hopign evrybody else fairs as well too.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I feel bad sitting up here & not being able to help anyone.
Keep your chin up! Glad you can save your meat. How about the baby pigs ? Are they fairing well ?

Hang in there!

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Hoo-jah! That's a little too much adventure for a good brownie wallow! Glad your resourcefulness saw all of you through.
Thanks for keeping us posted and take care!

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Baby pigs are doing well, all getting big and mama is a good one.

Thanks everyone.....we all have our crosses to bear, don't we...

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Kathy are ya gonan get hit with this new storm again thats coing for the next three days?

Misty i m so glad your got your power on .What a relief. T&P for those still in need of power and a shelter.
sorry to hear you son has a hole in his house, :( yikes. T&P for him also.
today is 6 outside but sunny and very mild wind. That is a good day in OH LOLLL

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

We are supposed to get snow. The wind is blowing pretty good out there. They have canceled school. They say 3 inches and the radar says we have snow coming, so will see what happens. It is cold out...I think they said 5 degrees this morning or tomorrow morning and then the 50s this weekend! All I can say is this is KY and we give you a full scope of weather.....anyone can live here, because we have every weather event you could want.....except of course a volcano (which is not a weather event, but a natural event). We have had this since last Feb:

Heat Wave
Ice Storm

Almost all of them debilitating! We're ready for the train to move on.

Clarkson, KY

Just getting back here. We got our power back on at 6:13pm tonight!! Crews in from Ohio helping out putting in new poles as they were sheared off everywhere. Got visited by the National Guard and everything. Thanking God for our wood stove. Kept it burning straight since my last post whenever that was...big water canner filled with water morning and evening to take out and water the animals. We got baths on the warmer days when they could get by with one thawing a day. My baby fruit trees had 1/4" twigs that were 1 3/4" thick after those two days of ice. Very thankful we kept water -would NOT have been fun without that. Don't think we even lost any freezer goods. Kept shifting meats to a basket outside for the night and since it has been a balmy 20ish degrees outside most of it stayed frozen.

I can think of a few upgrades before we're ready to go off the
(And miracle of miracles----no goats kidded even though it seems to have been the worst weather possible!!!)

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Welcome back grownut. Glad another person checkign in. I stil worri d thta by the time they get th epower back on, I wonder how many other folks hwo ha dno shelter they gonna find not made it and animals too wher folsk couldn't get to them or keep them warm enough with no power. Can be a sad bad situation all over.

Hopefully everybopdy wil get a bit of th earm up, then watch animals wil be droppign all their litters like crazy with the warmth.

glad you got the power back on
aaahhh off grid . To be off grid would be great !!
someday we will . :)
-8 today , not going anywhere today
just pick up kids and thats is it LOLLLL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images