Intermountain Regional Folks May be Coming to the Rockies

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

There has been discussion by some members about an intermountain regional forum but no one is sure if they have enough member interest yet. Because some of the members already participate in the RM Forum I suggested that they join us here and start threads for their areas and then if they have enough interest they can request their own forum. Here is the thread about it. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/942851/#new

Welcome to the Rocky Mountain Forum Intermountain Regional Folks!!!

Reno, NV

Hi all. And thanks for the welcome. I figured I'd come over and check it out:)

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Makes sense for a lot of the Intermountain region. Elevation really makes a big difference. The people in death valley and the other low desert areas might find more commonality with the SouthWest forum. The RM forum seems to cover high desert & alpine.

Yes, I think you are right. The climate where I am is high desert. Though it is much milder than the Northern Rockies it seems to have more in similarities than to the Desert SW. I think we face many of the same gardening challenges. My growing season is longer but we have the cooler/cold nights with the hot daytime temps and springtime winds.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

All are welcome! Come to the light! (only funny if you have seen the Poltergeist movies....)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Well, well, another flash sighting of Greenjay! Even flash sightings welcome.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

So I don't have to dig through past forums (yes, I'm lazy!!), who was it that used to come on here that lived in Nevada? I think around Reno. And rutholive from North central Washington pops in now and again.

OK, checked out that other thread: my apologies to kmom. Saw a few other names over there that I haven't seen in a bit, but then I've been a bit awol.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2009 10:27 PM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Welcome back, vadap. I think you had the first or second flower of spring last year. I am hoping for a pick of your first flower this year.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Dang, I forgot to take a picture of my first flower. I was walking out to the car Saturday with my arms full and saw a bright spot in the brown leaves. I thought it was a piece of trash but a closer look revealed one little yellow crocus. I was amazed, I've never seen them this early before but we have had a lot of mild, sunny weather the past week. I forgot the get the camera when we got home form the store and it snowed all day yesterday so I hardly went outside.

This message was edited Jan 26, 2009 10:32 AM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Darn. I always like it when some one in the Rockies gets their first flower. I see not even a bud here.

Reno, NV

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my bulbs will stay down for a bit longer. And of course keeping fingers crossed then they come up:). Lol. My first year planting bulbs and I've been fretting about them comeing up since they went in.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I put daffodil bulbs, and some Iris (those are corms, not bulbs, aren't they?) last fall, because I felt like I needed to put SOMETHING in to sort of claim the ground. I have not seen a sign of either yet , and this is a good thing. ;-) More snow fell last night, and hasn't yet started to melt off......

Duchess, what bulbs do you have down there working?

Janel, are there more crocus today ?

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I've had good luck with everything but dutch iris and Fritilaria meleagris. For some reason those bulbs disappear after the first year. I'm not sure if they're getting too cold or too much moisture or not enough.

We should try to get together some time in the spring. It would be fun to swap plants and tips (how to keep your tomatoes form freezing in June, how to keep the wind from blowing away parts ot your house, etc)

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Hey, I have some good tips on keeping houses from blowing away. One year we lived in a cabin at Mary's Lake outside Estes Park in Colorado. The canyon funnels huge winds up there. The owner of the cabin had a radial arm saw blown UPHILL about 20 feet, to give you an idea.

We only had one window blow out while we were there and the neighbors said we were lucky as the sliding glass door usually blew out too.

That cabin was built on a basement. Before they added the siding and roofing, they attached turnbuckles to the foundation and ran steel cables over the ridgepole and cinched it down. Then they sided and roofed over it, so the cables hold the cabin on the foundation.

Another house nearby had 3 tons of rock in the attic to hold it down.

Way too windy.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Wow,
I thought losing shingles and downspouts was bad. I don't think I could put up with that much wind. I already get pretty cranky on windy days around here.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

WOW I think Estes Park might take first prize for wind. I've had flying dinnerplate dahlias but no flying windows, doors or roofs (so far). Of course if I lived in Estes Park I would be hoping for the chance to get to Oz.

Reno, NV

Lol. I'm up in Stead and last summer we had a crazy windy day. Roofs off buildings, total dust storm, lost the birds nest in the tree out front when a branch was blow down. The worst part was getting out of my car and smelling sage smoke. I'm sitting there thinking 'that's odd', turn around and the empty lost across from us is burning. Scared the heck out of me and blowing our direction. No damage and the fire department got it out pretty quick.

Kylaluaz- I went a little nuts. I planted about 100 croucus, 75 tulips 1/2 pink and 1/2 orange, and some other things that I forgot. And I put them mostly in the front lawn:). It should be pretty. I know I wont be able to mow til they yellow but I'm ok with that. I don't like lawns much.

Katlian- I'd love to get together sometime. I'm still fairly new at gardening in this area and gardening in general. This is the first time I've had a place to play in the dirt since I was growing up. And the gardening I did then was in Truckee. It's a bit of a learning curve.

Reno, NV

Oh yeah. I also planted 8ish (?) queen of night tulips. Very excited about those babies.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Duchess I really want to try crocus in the lawn and I think will put in a batch this fall. Please post pictures when they come up. Thanks muchly.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

How exciting! All those tulips will look just stunning, waving in the yard there. I don't like lawns either, but find it hard to imagine planting that many bulbs! I do hope there will be pictures.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Yes, yes, we want lots and lots of pictures!

Not all of Estes is windy like that, just at the top of the canyons that funnel the wind. But that cabin was the windiest place I ever lived.

Denver, CO

Our first little shoots of crocus have started to come up. This is after last week with 60's and 70's. Today 0, lol. I just hope my baby peach tree doesn't get any ideas from our crazy weather. I'm going to start my tomato seeds tomorrow, so we can put them in walls of water in early April.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I put in about 150 mini iris and crocus two years ago. The iris bloomed first and then the crocus. Since some parts of the yard are sunnier than others the flowers appeared in succession starting at the north end.

Thumbnail by Katlian
Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I managed to fail to plant my tomato seeds last week and it was ten below this morning, so it was probably good life ran over me like a train lately.

I may go ahead anyway though, I keep dreaming of luscious red globes of gustatory delight.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

The first brave souls. The yellow crocus on Saturday was near the big rock in the center of the photo.

Thumbnail by Katlian
Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Katlian, we cross posted. What a lovely iris! Are you telling me, sob, that it is blooming NOW???

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Well, we cross posted again. You do mean NOW! Holy cow.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

No, sorry. These are last year's photos. I've only seen the one tiny crocus so far. The iris came up in late February last year.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Hmmm, I suppose I should quit packing then. You were about to get a completely unannounced house guest... ;-)

Reno, NV

I will promise to try to get better about photos. Sigh. I have an awesome camera but I forget it, or cant find the cord or... Wait. I still have to send out the thanksgiving photos. Lol. I'll try.

Planting wasn't that bad. Had a trowel for the croucs and a husband for the tulips:)

Katlian- I love that little iris. So sweet. And it could be really cool to have them progress like that.

I'll do my best to let everyone know how it turns out. I'm thinking my next bulbs are going to be saffron croucs. I love double duty plants.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

(Getting up from the floor and dusting myself off after swooning over iris this early), I'm good with crocus. Bring on the pics as they pop please ^_^

Reno, NV

You guys type fast. 4 posts to my one.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

A friend of mine has a house out near Varney Bridge. They rent out the main house but they use the loft of the garage as a vacation cabin. She let us stay there last year and it's very pretty but there must have been 20 deer in the yard in the morning. It she ever moves back full time she'll have to build a complete enclosure for her garden.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Young fingers and boredom will do that, duchess.

Reno, NV

I'm going to blame it on people trying to make me work for a living:)

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Katlian,
I live in Ennis itself and have had two dozen deer in my yard all at once. I find it appalling.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

You could supply yourself with meat for the next year ...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

mmmmm venison sausage mmmmmm

Reno, NV

Mulchmania- I totaly misread that as 'two dozen beer' in your yard. Lol:)

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Duchess, that would make rather a difference, wouldn't it? At least the beer would not eat the tulips, daylilies, and anything else that gets in its way...

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.