January Daily Weather, only a week to go.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

18 Snow moving in....

Quiet here today!

Ric

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Too much to comment on. Thanks for the comments on Baxter. He had a rough start in this life. I know he was extremely spoiled to make up for it because I spoled him (in a good way). :)

I enjoyed the pictures. Friday and Monty are a hoot! JW is a adorable as ever :)

A friend of mine has been here this weekend. Have you ever had a friend who's life seems to be all about trials? Well, Debbie's does. Ever time I talk to her there is a new crisis going on in her life. These aren't exagerated or made up. It's sad. The latest is just so unbelievable and unexpected. Her husband, John went hunting with a friend on the outskirts of Tallahassee last weekend. They were driving on a bridge over a river when one of the "leaf springs" on the truck broke, kicked the tire out at a 30* angle, hit the curb, flipped the truck over the bridge and into the river...upside down. John and Dan were trapped inside the cab of the truck until rescue came and had to cut them out. They had managed to find a pocket of air - that's how they survived.

Every time she gets over one hurdle another one comes along. All I can do is pray for her and thank God for every blessing he gives me and my family.

I'm letting her sleep. She's mentally and physically exhausted.

Just so y'all know I thank God for all of you being a part of my life and I ask him to bless you too every day.

Welcome joannabanana!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Oops - Here's the weather.
59.0 F
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 54 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.21 in (Rising)
Visibility: 2.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Overcast 500 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Now
Through 1045 am...skies will be cloudy with occasional light rain and drizzle in the Jacksonville area. Patchy dense fog will affect areas from Fernandina Beach north along the coast and inland to Interstate 95 to St Simons Island. Only light rainfall amounts are expected during this time. Motorist be alert for sudden drops in visibility to less than one quarter of a mile. The fog extends into the near shore waters as well.

Today
Mostly cloudy. Areas of fog in the morning. Slight chance of sprinkles through the day. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times in the morning. High 63. North winds 5 mph.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Joplin, Missouri (Airport)
Updated: 10 min 25 sec ago
22 F
Overcast
Windchill: 12 F
Humidity: 48%
Dew Point: 5 F
Wind: 8 mph from the ENE
Pressure: 30.33 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
Clouds: Overcast 3900 ft
(Above

Woke up this morning and look out at the window already snow on ground (just melt slowly)

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

12* and puffy snowglobe flakes of snow coming straight down. It's a pretty snow day. We are almost at our high of 13*

Kwanjin, nice fog picture.

Marylyn, it was a pretty interesting corkscrew! Funny, we've been having trouble with our internet too, but we're on dial-up.

Where is Dyson?

Kwanjin, it's funny how they can spread out. Monty sure a fluffy one!

Kiska, I love that picture!! Does the water rise and cover the ground or can you always just walk to the waters edge?

Pepper, I have 3 sets of clothes to change into every half hour LOL!

Ric, there is a recycle shop in the next town, but we haven't been there yet. What a great find and it looks new!

Country, a gun cabinet sounds like a good idea! Yeah, bargains. We see a lot of that. Kmart has nothing new to offer me. Honestly. The last few times in, we walked out empty handed.

I love a guy that can build. DH builds too.

Rusty, I hope you don't get the ice. Stay warm yourself!

Sharon, why does trouble seem to gravitate to certain people. It is sad and no fault of their own. Oh my gosh! Now that is scary! Prayers for her and John right now. Awww, peanut can read!

Rusty, woke up to a layer of snow too!

(Zone 3b)

Sunrise at 9:40 this morning. 5.7 earthquake yesterday morning but I never noticed.
20F Dark but snow in the forecast.
By July, the water will be at the edge of the parking area. It's a "braided" riverbed and the channels change; where you could be on the riverbed one summer, next summer it could have become the new channel. The main channel, under the bridge, remains unchanged.
Good morning all~ MySharona; your friend will welcome the extra sleep. So glad it ended well.
Veteran's Memorial ~ Palmer-Wasilla area

Thumbnail by kiska
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Really cold at 18* and spitting snow. I can't say flurries cause it's not coming down hard enough. It's just spitting or drifting down at a leisurely pace. lol. Won't amount to anything which really stinks. I want 6 inches of snow.

(Zone 7a)

Huge hugs coming out to your friends and you, Sharon!!!

37F with 44 for the high. Snow is on it's way, starting tonight and contniuing through tomorrow. It's raining.
Feels like: 33F

Barometer: 29.7 in
Dewpoint: 34
Humidity: 87%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: 0 in
Precip last 24 hrs: 0.33 in
Wind: 6 mph SE
Sunrise: 7:44 AM
Sunset: 5:36 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

Burrito Cat lost his feet.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Celia, it's amazing how cats can curl their feet up under them to the point that they are invisible!
You "peeps" have been busy today--lots to catch up on!
Kiska: liking your winter scenes of the bridges with the mountains in the background. Nice veterans' memorial--is that flag painted on?
Nice cabinet, Ric. but is Robyn going to sit at that cabinet and sew? If so, where are her legs and feet going to go? (This question was asked by someone who has done a lot of sewing in her time.)
Rusty and Pepper and Ric and BP and Bernie: no snow down here but it is cold--currently 31F which may seem warm to some of y'all but not to me!
Sharon: Yea--Pea can read! LOL So sorry about your friend's troubles but so glad that the two men were able to be rescued. That must have been a terrible ordeal for them! I am sure your friend needs some TLC and you seem to be giving it to her. Prayer changes things (in my book)!

Sunrise: 7:11 AM CT
Avg. High: 50F
Record High: 72F (1970)
Tonight: Mostly Cloudy
Overnight Low 27F
Precip 0%
Wind: NE 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 51%
Sunset: 5:30 PM CT
Avg. Low: 28F

Friday is bored because I won't take him outside to play (too cold) so he decided to take a nap.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

EB, I forgot to say that I really like your garden window but is one of the panes broken?--it looks gray instead of green in that space.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Maybe Burrito Cat needs a name change now.
How about Mat Cat

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Good question Mau.
My Father is was a tailor and I repaired sewing machines for years so I factored that in.
I'll have two extensions that hinge off the ends.
The machine will sit on one of those.
Plus it will give her an 84" x 28" table.

Pretty good snow going on now.

Ric

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Good thinking, Ric! An 84 x 28 table--perfect for laying out fabric and cutting out a pattern! Good job!

How about a photo of your snow--I like to look at it from a distance--LOL!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Lol... Shhh please don't say word "Icy" it make me like in my mind again "Oh, no not this time again!"

So, I final got all do shopping for foods and some other items what I need for my home before Sleet hit!
My pelvis start get hurting me that it chilly so bad for my pelvis & right hip...

Take care and stay warm...

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Statement as of 3:02 PM CST on January 25, 2009

... Winter Storm Watch remains in effect from Monday afternoon
through Tuesday afternoon...

A Winter Storm Watch remains in effect from Monday afternoon
through Tuesday afternoon.

Sleet and snow accumulations of 1 to 3 inches are expected from
southeast Kansas into west central Missouri. Areas from Lake of
The Ozarks to Rolla may receive more snow than sleet from this
storm system... with accumulations greater than 4 inches possible.

Snow and sleet are expected to develop Monday afternoon mainly
along and west of Highway 65... then spread into central Missouri
by early Monday evening. Given the afternoon onset of
precipitation... there may be significant impacts to the Monday
afternoon commute. Periods of sleet and snow will continue into
Tuesday before ending Tuesday evening.

A Winter Storm Watch means there is a potential for significant
snow... sleet... or ice accumulations that may impact travel.
Continue to monitor the latest forecasts.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

12F here now with a chance of flurries overnight. Highs forecast for the next 10 days only reach the mid- twenties. We haven't had any new snow for the past 4 or 5 days and it's sure been nice to get a break from shoveling. Driving on bare roads for a change is nice too! Looks like a big storm might hie much of the country in the coming week.

marsue.......You are right. One pane of glass is missing and the previous owner replaced it with a piece of tin and I didn't bother to repair it. I think I mentioned here before that the window is 150 years old--the original attic window from a house here in town.

Kiska........What a setting for a monument.

billly..........Thanks. With all the snow here and the monochromatic tones the colored windows really stand out and brighten the landscape.

Ric...........That will make quite a sewing station.

Here's the horizonal view of the winter farm scene I posted a few days ago.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

We are scheduled for snow for th e next week, and cold temps here in Central Pa. High was 24 today, grey, cloudy with that 'imminent snow' feeling in the air. We did just get a dusting. Hope the rest of it wanders away.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

We got 0.3 inch of rain yesterday.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 3:51 PM PST on January 25, 2009
59 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 51%
Dew Point: 41 F
Wind: 6 mph from the WNW
Pressure: 29.91 in (Steady)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 4400 ft
(Above Ground Level)

hiking pictures - milkmaids

Thumbnail by Kelli

ceanothus

Thumbnail by Kelli

Thumbnail by Kelli
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well the base is beefed up, castors are on and I have the Cab wired for electric.
Now I just need to figure out the extensions.

Robyn and our youngest son Mat ran a temporary heat duct to the new room.
Finally we can turn off that oil filled heater.

I also doubled my RAM today.
From 4 to 8 GIG much, much faster!

Well it looks as if we get a nice Winter Storm or Not.
It depends on how it tracks.
Either a bust and Central KY gets hit or we get an additional 7" of snow in the next two days.

21 and Dead Calm again.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 3b)

The volcano, Mt. Redoubt, is becoming active again and has been upgraded to code orange. It's about 100 miles sw of Anchorage and last erupted about 9 years ago.
I'm wondering if yesterday's 5.7 quake is related to the stirring of Mt. Redoubt.
More information at Alaska Volcano Observatory
E_B~beautiful. Dry roads are a plus during the winter; enjoy the moment:))
kelli~ .3 is at least something-hope it does some good. Loved your hike; the milkmaids look very pretty.
se_eds~that "feeling" of impending snowfall is usually right.
ric~Dead Calm~ that sounds like an ominious phrase. Did you see the movie? The cabinet will be great for the projects to come.
Rusty~sounds as if the weather will bring a bit everything; take care.
Almost noon ~

Thumbnail by kiska

Once again I'm too far behind to comment, but will check out Mt. Redoubt. Oh well :)

53.8 F
Fog
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 50 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.24 in (Falling)
Visibility: 0.2 miles
Elevation: 18 ft

Now
Fog has become widespread across northeast Florida and southeast Georgia with visibilities locally reduced to a quarter mile or less. Additionally...fog will impact portions of the Saint Johns River and tributaries as well...as well as the Intracoastal Waterway and nearshore coastal waters. Motorists and boaters should remain alert for rapid changes in visibility...and should allow extra time to reach their destinations. Motorists should use only low beam headlights. Fog will persist through much of this morning...possibly extending into the afternoon over the coastal waters. If the dense fog becomes widespread...a dense fog advisory will be issued.

Dense fog advisory in effect until 10 am EST this morning...

Today
Widespread dense fog in the morning with visibility one quarter mile or less at times. Otherwise...becoming partly cloudy. High 65. East winds 5 to 10 mph.

The plants took a beating during the freezes last week. I have some clean up to get to this week. Lady Margaret looks more like a frump right now LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's 37F this morning and rain in the forecast although it doesn't look like it at the moment. The ice still hasn't melted from the street and sidewalks, I'm really sick of it! We need a good storm to melt it all off before another freeze, we might get one tonight (storm that is).

The past week has been one of great unrest over here ..... there have been daily protests since parliament reconveined after Christmas break last Tuesday. People have been banging on pots, pans, drums and anything that can make a noise .... as a result one reporter called it "the kitchen utensil revolt". The protests turned into riots on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Police had to relese tear gas on Wednesday night to break it up ..... first time in decades. Things calmed a bit after that, and protests have been peaceful since then. There will be an election this spring and our current government is barely hanging on, not sure it'll last the day. One minister resigned yesterday (Minister of Commerce) So it looks like the protests are paying off. A 100+ days after the collapse.
http://mbl.is/mm/frettir/english/
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Credit-Crunch-Icelandic-Minister-For-Commerce-Bjorgvin-Sigurdsson-Steps-Down/Article/200901415209941?lpos=World_News_Third_Home_Page_Article_Teaser_Region__1&lid=ARTICLE_15209941_Credit_Crunch%3A_Icelandic_Minister_For_Commerce_Bjorgvin_Sigurdsson_Steps_Down
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7850639.stm

It's a very unfortunate coincident that both the Foreign Minister and Prime Minister have been diagnosed with cancer. The PM announced his diagnosis on Friday. The foreign minister was diagnosed in October just before everthing came tumbling down. At that time she was in New York City and didn't return home until two weeks after the break down. She was in Sweden receiving treatment when the protests began last week. Their prognosis is supposedly good, but it must be horrible to have to deal with such personal problems when faced with such enormous political problems at the same time. Amazingly the former PM and foreign minister were also diagnosed with cancer while in office. So that's 4 in a row ........ they both made a full recovery.

Another possibly interesting bit of news: One of the radio stations here launched a collection of woolens (sweater, socks, blankets etc.) for senior citizens in the UK after news about rising number of senior deaths due to cold in the UK. The effort was well received by the public, I don't know how much they managed to collect but it was a very sizeable load. They were shipped out last week and I think they're due to arrive there today. It just goes to show what kind of people live here........ even when we get dumped on we're still ready to lend a hand ..... (and btw the anti-terror legislative thing is still in effect).

EB - those photos are fabulous!

Marsue - (((Hug))) I'm glad you enjoyed the movie. LOVE the photo of Friday going for a walk :-)

Joey - thanks! I couldn't make anything out of that blob! lol They're pretty and JW is as cute as ever :-)

This is how my street looks this morning. The side walk at the end of the street hasn't been sanded for some odd reason, so from there to the preschool (a distance roughly equal to the length of my street) it's just slick ice. Pretty impossible to walk on.

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Joplin, Missouri (Airport)
Updated: 1 hr 2 min 19 sec ago
21 F
Overcast
Windchill: 10 F
Humidity: 55%
Dew Point: 7 F
Wind: 10 mph from the ENE
Pressure: 30.34 in (Falling)
Clouds: Overcast 3400 ft
(Above Ground Level)

No snow yet!

(Zone 7a)

Rann, it is amazing how pwople can face such diversity and still think of others. My heart goes out to your country. I've sort of been following this in the news and find it comforting to know about the people getting the things they need. (((((Hugs))))) to you and your girls. Your street looks scary!

Sharon, I read about Gary this morning! That is so great to hear he's clear! (((Hugs))) to you and him. (I'm in a hugging mood today. Hugs all around! LOL) A big hug to your friend, too.

Mau, Friday is a doll! I love his fuzzy little fur-face! LOL You and he get (((hugs))), as well! LOL

Kiska, checking out the volcano this morning. That pic of the mountain is great! I like the memorial, too. Is there a cemetary, as well?

Kelli, your photos are a very welcome sight! Thank you.

Ric, good job on the extra RAM! I think I need to do that. I'll have to check but I think my pics are taking up all the extra space. ☺

Rusty, do you want snow? We have extra you can have. LOL

Seeds, are you all better?

26F with 32 for the high. We got more snow than the half inch showing. It looks like about 2" with more on the way today.
Feels like: 14F

Barometer: 29.8 in ↑
Dewpoint: 19
Humidity: 70%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: 0 in
Precip last 24 hrs: 0.68 in
Wind: 15 mph N
Sunrise: 7:43 AM
Sunset: 5:37 PM
UV Index: 2 Low

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Brrr -24C or -11F this morning and Banff (1-1/2 hour west) is -33C or -27F Calgary Forecast is -7C or +19F for this afternoon. Mild temps for this week.

Well, we still have not heard from the radiologist. The Doctor said Gary is clear, but I'm not dancing until we hear from the radiologist. It's been over a week since the tests were run.

(Zone 7a)

Fingers crossed, eyes closed tight, sending good vibrations.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Rusty: stay warm!
EB: what a great bit of history about the window--no wonder you didn't replace the tin with colored glass.
Ric: that wreath looks as if it would be a good place to tuck some treats for the birds--but maybe you have already thought of that.
Sharon: I read the news about Gary on Caring Bridge--but as you said its best not to dance until the doctor says "all is well". Still. . .prayers going up!
Joanna: centigrade or fahrenheit--it's cold up your way any way you look at it!
Celia: It's fascinating to me to watch cats give themselves a bath. I love how they wash behind their ears, too! I know some children who could take a lesson in bathing from the cats! LOL
Rann: so sorry there is so much turmoil in your country.. It is good, though, that the people can still lend a helping hand to others who need help--even in the UK!
Your icy street looks treacherous!
Kiska: you could very well be correct about the earthquake being related to the "stirring" of Mt. Redoubt. That's sort of scary to contemplate! Pretty "almost noon" photo!
Kelli:"with silver bells and cockleshells and pretty maids all in a row"--that's what I thought of when I saw the pic of the milkmaids. (I read a lot of nursery rhymes to my children when they were little--they got stuck in my brain-LOL)
Glad to know it is fairly warm someplace in the U.S.!
According to the Weather Channel, Kansas, Missouri, NW Arkansas and places to the north and east are due to receive a blast of winter weather this afternoon through Wednesday. I'm heading out to the grocery store in a little while.

Currently 29F and cloudy, gray and gloomy
Today PM Rain / Ice
High 34F
Precip 40%
Wind: ENE 9 mph
Max. Humidity: 62%
UV Index: 2 Low
Sunrise: 7:11 AM CT
Avg. High: 50F
Record High: 70F (1970)
Tonight: Rain / Freezing Rain
Overnight Low 31F
Precip 70%
Wind: NE 9 mph
Max. Humidity: 90%
Sunset: 5:31 PM CT
Avg. Low: 28F
Record Low: 11F (1985)

Ahh, Spring!--Where are you?

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 3b)

10~ dark, but the stars are twinkling.
There are no updates on Mt. Redoubt's activity; no news is good news.
rann~it's good to have your personal update as to the gov/problems. I'd been following, too, but nothing like first-hand reports. The woolen drive was wonderful of you all. Your street/rink probably calls out to be used for skating.
MySharona~poor Lady Marg...foggy day would be a good day to stay home. Read the c/bridge this morning; good news, but do understand your hesitation.
joannabanana~keep warm:)) I have family in Prince George and it's cold there, too.
kwanjin~thanks. There is no cemetary at this location. Peek-a-boo kitty~~really cute.
marsue~love your springy photo.
One of nearly a dozen eagles~

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 5a)

As predicted the government has collapsed ...... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7851415.stm

Waving hi to you all - be back later :-)

Rann

20.1, cloudy and I'm freezing! lol. Supposed to get some snow here but areas around Springfield and nothern Arkansas will get hit with an ice storm.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Kiska, I've never heard of a braided riverbed. I learned something! 5.7 sounds pretty big. You must be on pretty solid ground. I love the majestic mountains setting off the bright flag!

Pepper Pepper, be careful what you wish for :o)

Kwanjin, love'' burrito'' kitty!

Marsue, anything under 68* is cold to me! Giggling, Friday doesn't look to unhappy with his nap.

Ric, a tailor. How cool. Robyn has a wonderful sewing table!

Rusty, I''m glad you got out for provisions before bad weather hit. It feels good to be prepared. I'd get out a heating pad and settle into a chair for a while. Your forcast says stay in!!

Early, I love the sun in your picture. We ran to town last Wednesday and the sun came up huge and orange. I wish I had had my camera. What a peaceful setting farmhouses are.

Seeds, wanders away, I like that!

Yayyy, Kelli got rain! Pretty little milkmaids and ceanothus. Do they have a scent? You have Kiska's landscape without the snow :o) Love the valley! Are you following trails, or do you strike out across the land sometimes?

Ric, Pepper wants your snow. Did you make a grapevine wreath? Everything awaits spring.

Kiska, mighty dark noon :o) Would you be affected by ash? You live in an interesting state.

Sharon, I wish for spring, but I'm really not ready. I have a lot to do before it gets warm! Do you drive to work when it's a dense fog advisory?

Rann, I sure hope your political troubles end and end well. So much sadness for everyone.Sending sweaters is a wonderful thing to do for other people in need. It looks very slick out there. The footprints look like they all go one way. You and the girls be careful.

Kwanjin, your enthusiatic hugs are wonderful! Awww, cute!

Joannabanana, cold cold! I hope we have none of that in Iowa!

Sharon, gary has made it this far. I hope it's over!

Marsue, gorgeous Zinnia! Sounds like getting provisions and staying in is the thing to do today!

Kiska, Love the shot of the bird! Eagle?

Rann, prayers for your country.

17*, cloudy and cold. We could have scattered flurries, but it's quiet so far.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hi, guys, love your pics! I'm so way behind, but I'll have to comment on Kiska's vulcano and earthquake...take care, Jackie !
Joey, what cute picture of JW!
It's like spring time here, but a rainy one. It's been Dyson dark here lately and it has been raining since Saturday...ugh!Big rainstorm last night and 50 today at noon, no wind anymore and still raining.
I have a beautiful gerbera which I received from a friend yesterday, for coloring a bit these yucky days.
Adina

This message was edited Jan 26, 2009 6:08 PM

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

That's beautiful, Adina!

Very colorful adina!!

Still holding steady at 21.1 and cloudy. No snow yet.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good afternoon! Adina, that's a gorgeous photo!!!

Kiska, yikes! I hope the earthquakes don't get too bad where you are. It would be very cool to see a volcano erupting - from a very safe distance.

Rann, I'm sorry for your country's continued troubles. I can only imagine how stressful that must be for all of you!! I wouldn't be surprised if the stress had a lot to do with the prevalence of cancer in your officials, too. Very sad. :-( We are praying for you all. Look how bright your sky is already!! Spring must be getting nearer. :-)

Kiska, yours is brightening up considerably, too. I love that last photo...

Sharon, you have d-mail. I'm praying for Gary, too!

(((((((hugs)))))))))) to everyone! I was soooo tired this weekend. I had a crummy nightmare last Wednesday night, and it took forever to catch back up on sleep. So after a weekend spent mostly lying around, the house is a disaster! Yikes! Now that I'm done with homeschool for the day, and the project I've been working on for tomorrow, I'm thinking about going outside to weed. ^_^ I suppose should, instead, behave myself (darn it!), and wash some dishes and do some laundry so this week starts out better. (pouting...) Dandelions are starting to pop out in the beds, though, and looking at them out the window is making my hands itch to get out there... Maybe tomorrow afternoon after Bible study.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 3:53pm CST (28 min ago)
Temperature 75 F 24 C
Dew Point 60 F 16 C
Humidity 59%
Pressure 30.05 in 1017.5 mb
Wind Speed 21 MPH
G 32 18 kts
G 28
Wind Dir SSE 160
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 78 F 26 C
Current Conditions Few Clouds
Remarks Peak Wind: 29 kts from 150 (21:39 GMT).
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 57.9F / 14.4C

Tonight Mostly cloudy. Patchy fog with visibility one quarter mile or less at times. Warmer. Lows in the lower 60s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Rann, prayers that you and your family stay safe and secure.

Billy, we usually stay on the trails because, where the brush is thick, the trails are the only way through. Where there is grass instead of brush, it is still usually a good idea to stay on the trail because otherwise the sharp grass seeds get in your socks. Then in the woods, there is poison oak. Mine and Kiska's scenery bear some resemblance because they are both volcanic in origin, though mine erupted under water like 10 million years ago. Most of the land around here is not volcanic in origin, but parts of the Santa Monica Mountains are.

Kiska, is there any danger to anyone if Mt. Redoubt erupts?

Fairly seasonal weather today. The jet stream must be back in its proper place.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PST on January 26, 2009
58 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 32%
Dew Point: 28 F
Wind: 13 mph from the NNW
Wind Gust: 20 mph
Pressure: 29.96 in (Steady)
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 7000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

(Zone 3b)

Had a great day~my daughter and I took a drive up Hatcher Pass and it was wonderful.
The volcano is an island; but is just offshore the southern part of the Kenai Peninusula. Last time it erupted, flights were affected.
I have a bottle of ash I collected, but it's from the eruption of Mt. Spur in 1992. Ashfall depends on the winds and this area could be affected. The most recent report is that it has quieted~
Rann~hope you can "feel" all the good thoughts coming your way..
Adina~such a beautiful flower~so bright and colorful.
kelli~it was so interesting when flying over your area; it's amazing to view from thousands of feet high.
bp~yes; it's an eagle. There were about a dozen and I didn't get a singe good pic.
Coming down the hill/Hatcher Pass. The pass is closed but can travel quite a ways up. Palmer, down on the Valley floor.

Thumbnail by kiska

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images