Painting and Assorted Craziness

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I have been back in the paint pretty intensely of late. I am not posting the previous one because it is coming out in a book to be published by Reader's Digest later this year and I do not want to tangle up copyright issues, DG is a bit grabby that way.

This painting of two dahlias I grew last year I just completed, despite my dog's effort to wag his tail in the red paint on the palette and then onto the painting itself. Not a big help! I got it off before it dried.

I will post some detail images because I went a little crazy on this one. DH thinks it may be my best painting to date, the paint quality came out well. It was difficult as almost every color combination I used dried darker than it was wet, which makes keeping all those harmonious values under tight control a major issue.

Thumbnail by mulchmania
Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Here are the dahlias themselves.

Thumbnail by mulchmania
Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

And the glass, which was a complete blast to paint. DH says it is like it has its own little galaxy in there. I guess we can ride our asteroids into it, what do you think?

Thumbnail by mulchmania
Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Finally, the shell.

Thumbnail by mulchmania
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, beautiful! Your husband's compliment must feel very good -- since he is an artist two and knows his stuff. I wouldn't dare to compare. I also really like that psychedelic rooster you did. What size is this one?
What is the subject matter of the one to be printed by Readers' Digest ?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O Mulch that is so beautiful and dahlias too!

Jaw-dropping talent you have! Please tell us which issue of RD when you know.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

The water is vibrating in your painting mulch. You aren't supposed to put real water in a picture. It will make your ink run if it spills.

Santa Fe, NM

Nice, Lexie! I really like the shell. There is a lot going on there but you kept it translucent and light! Dahlias are not easy to paint either. I went off on a painting jag one day last week. Did 4 watercolors, one might be worth keeping. I think it was a reaction to all the computer work. How big is your dahlia painting?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Hmm. I think it needs a splash of Taoist red.

Just kidding. -- Truly it is beautiful and I LOVE the "galaxy" of air bubbles in the water in the pitcher! I am impressed and thank you for sharing your work here!

Kyla

Payson, AZ(Zone 7a)

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, you are amazing!!!!What talent.
JoAnne

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Hi all! Thanks for your comments, although I definitely am avoiding Taoist red. I am also careful not to spill the water.

The painting is 36"w by 48" high, so it is a good sized painting, acrylic on canvas.

The painting of nine poppies in my garden that I did for the book to be published by Quarto and Reader's Digest can be seen at http://www.energiesofcreation.com/paintings/celebration-goddess/.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

ROFLMAO @ Mulch!!!!
"If you are so inspired by this blog you want to put in more than two cents worth, I accept Paypal.

Paypal donations will be used for purchases of high spiritual and creative value, such as chocolate. Hopefully lots of chocolate…"

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Mulch does the [...] mean you're still working on an article? Thanks

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Nice blog. Very interesting. Beautiful poppies, too! ;-)

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Hey, thanks!

Actually, it is not an article in Reader's Digest magazine, it is a book on tips and techniques for acrylic painting. I am not the overall author, but they are basing it on ten projects, and they asked me to do two of the projects. The editor at Quarto told me they are co-publishing it with Reader's Digest.

Quarto does that, they never publish solely under their own imprint. My A-Z Painting Acrylic Flowers I did for them has now been co-published with four different publishers. North Light books here, Search Press in the UK, Simon and Schuster in Australia, and most recently, translated into French by Fleures in France.

And I always hope for an abundance of chocolate. An abundance of chocolate means all is right with the world...

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, indeed it does! ;-)

Reno, NV

Wow! Lovely paintings.

I keep trying to think of something clever to say but I'm stuck on Wow!!!

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Wow always works for me... ;-)

Reno, NV

:)

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Have we seen the assorted craziness yet?

I have unlimited "wow" to offer..........

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.