Snowflakes and Snirt

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

One of today's Garden History Items:

1887: A snowflake 15 inches wide and 8 inches thick--the largest ever recorded--fell at Fort Keough, Montana.

I think perhaps they might have gotten confused and measured a snow 'drift' and not a snow 'flake'. Here are some other tidbits. OMG don't you TOTALLY LUV 'snirt'. I have never heard of it before but I'm going to use it all the time now. Also I'm sure people buy more chocolate during blizzards and that definitely should be mentioned in snow facts.

Did you know?
Every snowflake has its own unique shape and is different than all other snowflakes.

All snowflakes have six sides.

Snowflakes aren't always white. Years ago, when coal was used in factories and homes, snow was often gray. Why? Because the coal dust entered the air and was absorbed by the clouds.

In Prince Edward Island, Canada, where the soil is red clay, snowflakes often look pink. Why? Because red dust from the soil is blown into the air and absorbed by the clouds.

The largest snowflakes ever recorded fell in the state of Montana in the United States of America. The snowflakes were 15 inches in diameter.

The snow capital of the United States is Stampede Pass in Washington State. Each year, the average snowfall is 430 inches.

The average snowflake falls at a speed of 3.1 miles per hour. (5 kilometers)

Snirt is dirty snow that flies off the dusty Canadian prairies.

People buy more cakes, cookies and candies than any other food when a blizzard is in the forecast.

A blizzard occurs when you can't see for 1/4 mile. The winds are always 35 miles an hour or more. The storm must last at least 3 hours to be classed as a blizzard. If any of these conditions are less, it is only a snowstorm.

Billions of snowflakes fall during one short snowstorm.

That snowflakes are made up of ice crystals.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

This informative post has left me in a snirt!

I think I shall have to buy a hard hat to wear when it snows, since I live in Montana. I had no idea it was so dangerous. A 15" wide 8" thick snowflake that is quite icy could be deadly!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I wonder about that too mulch. Exactly what happened so this tidbit passed down throughout history from 1887. And what were the other snowflakes doing at the time? Maybe the person was hypothermic and hallucinating? Anyone been to Fort Keough? Is there a snowflake museum we could contact?

I thought about going to snopes but will not in this case, I choose to believe!
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/20/science/20snow.html

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks everso for the great article angele. I'm getting the book now “Ken Libbrecht’s Field Guild to Snowflakes” (Voyageur Press, 2006). Also I bet all those guys could be very helpful with my weather transporter. Also isn't that noble of the AL guys working on snowflakes when they hardly ever get snow? I do believe in giant snowflakes. I do believe...

edit: I did think it was a tad snooty that Mr. Pike poo-pooed the MT rancher's siting in Fort Keough. Like he was supposed to have a point-and-shoot in 1887?

This message was edited Jan 28, 2009 10:34 AM

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Definitely snooty. Ranchers are usually well grounded people not subject to flights of fancy since their livelihood relies on constant practicality.

My DH has a lovely hard hat an artist friend sent him. It has flames painted on it. I think that might be the perfect snowflake protection hat, the big flakes might even veer away to avoid being melted by the flames.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

"snirt" -- is that a technical term?

I am puzzled, because there was, there really was, a thread in Daves Garden, started by someone else, questioning this entry..... I posted, a little jokey tall tale about how little there was to do in Fort Keough Montana in those days bla bla, then someone else posted -- and I was gonna paste my little story in here to share and it is gone, the whole thread.

very strange.

personally I think there are wormholes all over the place.

;-)

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Is this the thread you're referring to? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/946995/

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Kyla sometimes threads get removed if someone posts something inappropriate or confrontational, or if they are not relative to the forum but then the DG Forum is supposed to be for anything I thought. I started a thread in the Garden History Forum on this topic. I wonder if the thread got moved there. I'll go look.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here it is Kyla. They moved it to the Garden History Forum
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/946995/

edit: Cross posted with Joan.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2009 1:32 PM

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes, that's it, no worries....... and maybe that was where it was in the first place, my brain is clearly not its best today.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Kyla, I am sure your brain is just fine, it is just that sometimes the entire universe goes a bit awry, speaking from personal experience... ;-)

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

There ya go, and my brain agrees with you so we must be right. LOL!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

A shift in the matrix can do it to you for sure.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

And it does seem to be shifting much more often these days, no?

I wonder if I should go into that thread and try to make clear I really was not intending to cast aspersions on the DG research team...... but I would probably only make a bigger mess, LOL! Sometimes I forget that my little imaginative flights can have an impact I did not intend. And I am sure it got moved only because it goes better in the appropriate forum.....

angele, thanks for the NY Times piece, that is most interesting.

I still think there are snowflakes out there with computer code in them, but everyone is so busy measuring size, they have not noticed yet.

I am truly incorrigible and will go occupy myself elsewhere for a while.

Oh, come thou Spring!!!!!!

~ *waves bye-bye to the people * ~

Kyla

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You guys are too funny. Of course, giant snowflakes exist. If they didn't they wouldn't be in the NY Times!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

LOL!

and that 's my final word on this subject, and on most others too, come to think of it......

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

In case you guys were wondering, Fort Keough (now spelled Fort Keogh) is in Miles City. I don't know if there's a snowflake museum but they have the Bucking Horse Sale which amount the three days of drunken revelry with a little horse trading thrown in. The Fort is now an Agricultural Research Station for the USDA. I never saw giant snowflakes there but it sure can hail like the dickens in the summer.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I sure would want to be indoors when those giant snowflakes started to fall. I would hate to have to explain to a rescuer that I was lying in the snow because I got hit on the head by a giant snowflake. The rescuer would want to know what I had been imbibing!

Santa Fe, NM

Kyla, I don't know what you are talking about. But, if you think you get in to trouble on strange threads sometimes then perhaps we ought to meet! l.o.l. The thing is; I'm generally not all that sorry. Shhhh. It's those hormones talking. Not me! And it is always the most innocent topics, like snowflakes. Who woulda thunk? Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much here. We're all fairly thick skinned if not thick headed. Am I insulting myself by mistake? More coffee!

I resemble that remark!

Santa Fe, NM

Hey, Paja. Maybe I got hit in the head by one of those giant snowflakes and it caused an attitude problem!

Santa Fe, NM

Hi, Angele!

hi roybird ☺

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Good morning, all. (Still morning? *checking* Yes, it is!) I have a feeling that the word "snirt" will become one of my favorites. As "I am in a snirt over that!" and "Oh, don't go all snirty about it" and "I feel like a real snirt sometimes" and -- well, you get the picture.

My other favorite word is "hoobiejigger" -- very handy whenever you are at a loss for the right word, it can substitute for any of the rest of them.

Roybird, yes, we should meet.

Katlian, thank you too, it is always satisfying to have the back story!

And the rest of you lovely beings also, thanks for being here, it's good to keep company with you.

Kyla

Reno, NV

I wish we'd get some of those giant snowflakes here. If it has to be winter at least we could get some water out of it. Well, only as long as I can stay home with a good book, coffee and cookies:)

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

No chocolate???

Reno, NV

The chocolate can go in the cookies. I'll make my chocolate chip pumpkin cookies:). Honestly tho, oatmeal rasin cookies sound really good right now.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Snirt is a great word, and I, too, have had people get all snirty with me on some seemingly innocuous threads. Amazing how easily people can get set off some times. At times, I think it is because people don't read the whole post correctly or embody it with some private vision of their own about what it means. All you can do is dust yourself off and move on.
I once had a woman at work call me a horse's rear end (those words) and I was aghast. We had always gotten along fine, but I had had the timerity to say something she disagreed with. When she noticed I was taken aback, I think she was surprised. So she went to the farmers' market that morning and bought me 3 lemon cucumbers. I never did quite follow what happened or why. So I just moved on.
Same with some posters on DG. Just ignore them. Most people here are lovely.

hmmm, I know I have been snirty. I appreciate it so much when I am forgiven but I have a hard time forgiving myself. I sure try not to be snirty... darn dirty snow :-(

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

We all get in a *snirt* from time to time. I've been there, and I'm sure there's times what I've posted has caused someone else to get into a snirt. I know that in either case, it was not intentional. The words we write in these posts don't always convey our true meanings and feelings. We need to keep that in mind before we take offense. Most of the time, the post was not meant to cause any hurt feelings.

Quoting:
darn dirty snow :-(

I was thinking about the dirty snow on the way home from work tonight. :) I figured that once you get so many feet of it, it just doesn't matter anymore, and any additional snow just covered up the dirty snow. ^_^

I was watching Craig Ferguson the other night and I loved something he said about this subject and he said it almost always happens when his ego gets ahead of the facts.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yeah, that's the way with dirty snow. It covers up the nice soft flaky stuff. Works as a symbol, too.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Quoting:
Yeah, that's the way with dirty snow. It covers up the nice soft flaky stuff.

au contraire! I believe that the nice soft flaky stuff covers up the dirty snow! LOL

((((group hug))))
and and extra one if anybody needs one (((((|)))))

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, most likely snow and snirt are both the same, in the eyes of the Big Snowflake.

;-)

Having moved to snow country from coastal NC, I am still being romanced by snow; even at its snirtiest, I still find it entertaining. Course, we have not had that much of it, either, I hear last year around here there was terrible snowed-in-ness to be endured...... but that is supposed to be unusual for this particular area.

Joan, you are so right, posting boxes really only convey a tiny bit of what is going on, with anyone, and online interactions can so easily be misconstrued -- if we let it happen, which we don't have to.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Well, when I say I love chocolate, you can assume my post says exactly what I mean... ;-)

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

There is that...... LOL

Santa Fe, NM

Mulch. L.O.L.! You are always clear about what you mean, from what I can tell! Fairly direct. Chocolate is, of course, something we can all relate to in a direct way. I'm getting silly. I like "the Big Snowflake", Kyla. That one put quite a picture in my mind!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes, mine too. Brrrrrr.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.