Snowflakes and Snirt

Reno, NV

Social Pyschology has a number of interesting studies on why it's so easy to miscomunicate in electronic forms. No tone of voice, no body language, and interestingly enough, if you depersonalize the other people on a fourm you're more likely to see bad behavior. Part of the change that happens when people are able to act anonymously Even having a name to the person helps restrain that type of bx.

I love to visit the snow but don't want to live in it anymore. Grew up in Truckee. When you look out your window and all you see is a snow bank up to the roof for months it gets a bit much. My sis and I used to climb the snow bank up to the sunny patch on the roof to have picnics.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Don't you miss giant snowflakes, snow angels and snow people at all duchess? Do you get winter fairys if there is no snow?

Reno, NV

Lol. We deffinately get winter fairys. They have pale skin that blends into the birch trees and hair the color of winter sage.

When I think of living somewhere snowy I think of snow over my head. We do get some snow, just not burried in it.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oh those sound like luvly winter fairys. I thought you might still get some snow but just wasn't sure.

Reno, NV

I actualy have some fairys that live in one of my herb pots. There's a grown up that sits on a stone bench holding a butterfly in her hands. And three little girl fairys that sit near by and giggel and listen to her. They have a rosemary tree and a sweet marjoram brambel in the pot. I'm not sure if the marjoram is dormant or dead tho. And a little stone bird bath full of water.

I love adding things to my gardens.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Gardeners sure luv their ornaments don't they? I am very big on rocks too.

Reno, NV

Do you make cairns with them? My rocks have been too small, make rings with them sometimes tho.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

We have to talk. I have tips about walking up to the guys on the big machinery who are 'plowing' mountains. 'Excuse me sir. Do you mind if I collect a few rocks?". For me I don't make things from rocks; they make themselves into things. I find that rocks are very self motivational. I like to bring Canadian Rocky rocks to the states to exchange for other rocks. VERY IMPORTANT is to boil the rocks before you trade to be sure you aren't trading anything but the rock (seeds and some nastys can stay dormant in rocks for a very long time). I am hoping for a Rocky Mountain rock exchange in Denver (DBG Sale) in May. I still need NM and CO rocks and I think that some of our members still need Canadian rocks. Of course we aren't talking boulders. Just smallish rocks. AHEM I would like another NV rock. Also there is no such thing as a 'too small' rock. All rocks are worthy IMHO. Actually pebbles are worthy too IMHO.

In our home there is a curio cabinet with 2 doors. Kent has one half and i have the other. We keep our treasures behind those doors - we both have shelves devoted to our rocks and pebbles, most we found while jeeping. He courted me with tiny polished heart shaped rocks. They are the most important symbol of his love to me.
~snif, I get so sentimental over those hearts - they are not in the cabinet - they are in my little black jewelry bag that I carry with me. Kent carries one with crystals and gems.
I will send you a NM rock, do you prefer river, mountain or valley?

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Every time I come home from a work trip I have anywhere from a pocket-full to a crate-full of rocks in the truck. I just add them to the stock pile and then we use them around the garden (big ones) or in house plants (small ones). DH and I like to go on Geology field trips that the local university puts on each fall. We can usually 'rehome' several large rocks on these trips. Like the big vesicular basalt rock from behind the Verdi Post Office. Dahlia, I could send you some Nevada wonderstone and some Mt Hicks obsidian chips, they're pretty small. And I have a whole bag of little agates from outside of Tonopah.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

OK STOP this is a negatory for ever getting my support for an Intermountin Regional Forum when you are soulmates after my rock heart!
Ok let's start NM - roybird-Sante Fe, Paj -Los Alomos are mountain. Of course they will jump in at a heartbeat which is all fabby. I'm thinkin I need valley, river rocks. Now we move to the fabby state of NV every thing; I have nothing. Man I would luv those rocks.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Dahlianut,
You probably would be entertained to know that when I first started dating my husband I went to Colorado without him for six months. We wrote a lot and he said he was building a terrace at his house with flat rocks. I promptly mailed him a nice flat rock I found while hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park. (I hope they do not come arrest me for that.) The rock is still in the terrace.

Here in Ennis he decided to do some river rock inlay jewelry and we started collecting rocks for that. Then when we opened the gallery, RiverStone Gallery, we obviously needed rocks for decor. That created marital conflicts when we went fishing because I kept filling the boat with nice large rocks but he was the one rowing...

Santa Fe, NM

That's funny! Dahlia, of course I will bring you a boiled mountain rock. I just found that D.H. has quite a pile of baseball to basketball sized rocks on the north side of the house; where I obviously hadn't been in awhile. He says he picked them up at the railyard last summer. I think he will let me use them. Nice stash.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, rocks ROCK!

When I moved out here from NC, one of my saddest tasks was finding alternate homes for My Mother's Rocks. These were some large=ish rocks she had collected for her garden, over the years. No rocks to speak of in coastal North Carolina, of course...... When my mom passed, I shared some of her rocks with a few close friends and took the rest to live on my deck.

When I prepared to move, it turned out to be harder to say good bye to those rocks than to most of my plants! But I did find them a good home: a woman who was creating a community center at her home and wanted to build a Medicine Wheel in her yard, took them. Then, they ended up actually in a lovely arrangement on her front porch instead, they had such a Presence!

I have lugged boxes of cherished rocks all over the country, too, in my earlier years, but more lately have really had to sort of slim down the possessions.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

LOL! I grew up in Louisiana where there are no rocks naturally. So naturally, I craved them. We used to visit my grandparents in Colorado and Wyoming every summer and I would go out and pick up cherished rocks which ended up in a flour sack in our attic and were then forgotten about.
Well, while I was away at college, my father took a job in Italy and everything in the house had to go into storage for a few years. My parents laughed hilariously when they found my rocks. Sadly they disappeared for ever. I suspect they are in some landfill in Louisiana. Perhaps some future archeologist will find them and decide that there were people who worshiped rocks in Louisiana. If so, they will be right. I still like landscaping with rocks.

Santa Fe, NM

We had plenty of rocks in Arizona, where I grew up. We found turquoise, geodes, fool's gold, all manner of quartz. There was a man who had a rock shop and a big rock polisher. I was convinced I needed to have one when I was around 7 years old. I got a new bicycle, though, and forgot about rock polishing. Now, I know an 8 year old boy who thinks he might like a rock polisher. I think they do make smaller ones now.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

They make small units that are not too costly these days.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, you might try Edmonds Scientific if you want an inexpensive rock polisher. I hope Edmonds still exists -- it was a great story. My grandfather was a rockhound, with lots of agate and jade and geodes and you name it. I still have a few of his rocks and an old fashioned apothecary jar full of rocks he polished and an agate marble and a stone for a ring. He was a wonderful old guy.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Rio Grande in Albuquerque would probably be the first place I would look for a rock polisher. They have all kinds plus polishing media to use with them.

Santa Fe, NM

I may look around and talk to the parents. This boy's birthday is March 15th. You know, when I went to the greenhouse the other day they had smallish bags of polished river rocks for sale. Not On Sale. They were fairly pricey. Perhaps I will make a deal with the kid!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

The kid would learn a lot more from the rock polisher than from the already polished rocks. A deal sounds like a good thing.

Santa Fe, NM

He doesn't particularly want already polished rocks but I might! They are to put in water features or make little rivers out of. These rocks at SantaFe Greenhouse come from China. Because we lack local rocks here.

Reno, NV

Lol. No rocks!?! That seems so odd to me:). I'd be happy to pass on NV rocks, tho it sounds like Kaitlin has prettier ones.

I remember collecting rocks at one point. I had them all lined up on my shelves(made of cardboard). Then I found the big mother of all rocks (at least where you're 4it was reallly big). Beutiful piece of granite all flecked thru with mica. I luged that thing home (at the top of steep stairs to get up the mountain side) and up to the appartment (which was the second story apartment) up to my room (which was on the second story of the appartment) and put it on the top of my shelves.......Cardboard and granite do not mix.

Micheals craft store has rock tumbelers for around 30$.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Duchess, that very funny about the rock and the shelves. I can just imagine. Last summer my mom came to visit and I took her up to the lake for the day. She was very impressed by the granite boulders and asked me to bring her one the next time I come to visit. How on earth I'm suppoed to get 1000 pound rock in my car and drive it to Oregon is beyond me.

I think we should have a thread to show off our favorite rocks.

Reno, NV

Lol. Katlian. And I thought my mum asked for some odd things.
If you figure out how to get it in your car let me know. I wouldn't mind having one:)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Great idea Katlian. Of course mine are all buried under snow at the moment but in the spring I'm in for sure!

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I have a funny rock story. DH and I were going to do the Celebration show in Scottsdale for the first time, we did it several years. Anyway, we decided to use river rocks as part of the booth decor. I drove down first and he followed a day later in the other vehicle.

We had not collected rocks for the project and it proceeded to snow and freeze badly. When DH arrived, he said he had managed to collect enough rocks anyway. I asked where he had gotten them, knowing the conditions.

He mentioned a few places, one of them a place we sometimes walked at the intersection of Varney Road and the highway. There was only one rock there of the right size and I told him that was my favorite rock anywhere, which he had not known.

He said I could not possibly recognize it in the pile he had in the pickup, adding that it was his favorite too. I went outside and immediately pointed to the correct rock. It now resides in our living room...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That is a great story and of course you could recognize it.

Reno, NV

Lol. Of course you knew it.

I have a petal of a flower geode with a fruit of the tree of life on it. It's a pain to dust but I love that thing.

Santa Fe, NM

Good rock stories. I was being sarcastic about not having rocks here. We have plenty of rocks. I will check at Michael's craft store for rock tumblers, thanks.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Bonk!!! (Many rocks bouncing around Sante Fe). ps DANGER! DANGER! Michael's has many, many things that you will covet. DANGER! DANGER!

Santa Fe, NM

Yes, that is so true. A dangerous journey. We have been helping out the economy recently. Two hard drives, a vacuum cleaner and I got a new pair of medium weight hiking boots! My old ones were 10 years old and had sprung some leaks. As dry as it has been this month, it didn't matter, but they had also gotten sort of smooth on the bottoms. Like bad tires.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Ooh, those smooth boot soles can be dangerous! Especially on icy slushy or, *ahem* snirty surfaces......

And. Ha~! I found a literary reference! Just by chance re-reading this novel.....

From The Whistling Season, by Ivan Doig, chapter 14 (takes place in Montana, too.)

"What scrunched under our overshoes as we trudged through the stubble of the grainfield was the nasty mix of moistureless show and windblown dirt that we called "snirt." "

hahaha Several subsequent uses too, including the adjectival form "snirty."

Adverbially, I am snirtily delighted.

Either that or terminally bored, LOL!

Santa Fe, NM

Well done! Literary references give a certain weight to regular "snirt ".

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I am so relieved!!! Thanks everso Kyla because apparently urban slang has turned 'snirt' to mean the dirty snow that collects in parkinglots etc. :( Just not the same as 'dusty snow that blows off the the prairies'. I bet the snirt is very happy about that correct reference to it and so am I ^_^

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

SO what do you call snirt that's not frozen?

I was driving through Fallon during a thunderstorm and was hit simultaneously by a cloud of blowing dirt and a downpour. It was almost like a biblical plague of raining mud. I was glad that I wasn't going very fast at the time, the wipers just couldn't keep up.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Ah, that sounds severe enough to deserve its own name.

"Blurd" comes to mind but may not be quite dark enough. Any other candidates?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think its called Bummer.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Dahlia, regarding historical versus modern snirt, the novel in question is set in the year 1909. I do believe they had cleaner dirt in the old days.

;-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

oops cross posted with Kyla. 'Blurd' is good. Maybe mucksplish?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.