Leaps Of Faith!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I gather that the proverbial leap of faith is one of the main tenets of the Winter Sowing system...... and maybe that's one reason it appeals to me.

For me, just moving back to California last September was a giant leap of faith. I moved back here mainly because I missed it so much! and I had lucked into a job that allowed me to be quite flexible where I live, so when the chance came, I took it! even though I have never lived in this part of the West, this far north, before.

Actually, sowing seeds at all is a leap of faith, especially when we have invested so much care into their choice and into the conditions we create to support the process. Now, my next leap of faith, or one of them, is just starting this garden here.

I know we all make many leaps of faith, sometimes on a daily basis, so I just wanted to celebrate that for a moment.

Besides which, I needed an excuse to share this delightful photo I just ran across:

http://tinyurl.com/leap-o-faith

not mine, but do look, it is exquisite. ;-)

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow. That looks unreal!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

ok now I sooooooooooooo don't want an Intermountain Regional Forum. Another fabby example why we need you all here!

Heh plutodrive haven't chatted for awhile. All is still good with you mon ami?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey, Dahlia, even if we do get our own forum, no way would I stop hanging here, you all are too much fun.

;-)

Plutodrive, what a cool name! As for looking unreal, that photo, I have no way of knowing except I do know mountain goats or sheep or whatever (goat, right?) do seemingly impossible things up there on the high rocks...... *sigh* kind of like life sometimes.

plus which, isn't it beautiful????

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

The pic is beautiful. I believe it to be real because the views in the mountains are always unbelievable to me. Does that make sense?

Hi dnut. Doing okay here. The computer broke down for three weeks and I'm still trying to catch up with everything.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Makes total sense! Although these days with photoshop one can no longer say "seeing is believing"!

And may I commiserate with your computer breakdown experience! Hard to be without one for long.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Gorgeous photo! I know an artist who takes such things for real, although that is no guarantee about this one.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, since it could be real, it might as well be, in my book.

taking a leap of faith there too I guess. ;-)

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Actually, I just downloaded it briefly to do some pixel peeping in Photoshop. One can often find tattletale clues doing that. If this one was fudged, it was exquisitely done, looks genuine to me when I go deep into the file.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Cool!

I also posted it here thinking some of you mountain folks might know that location, what is it, the Comeau plateau?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

My leap of faith for the day: I just ordered five 5-gallon nursery pots (and a pack of 12 5-gallon grow bags also)...... finally finally found some el cheapo ones! I mean, I prefer pretty colors and nice shapes, but for starters I needed some big enough containers to be adequate for the numerous plants I am promising myself I am going to grow on the deck and have bought seeds for and even started some.

The shipping was, as always, more of a bite than I would wish, but now I can stop worrying about how the heck will I get pots pots pots pots and pots???!!!!!???

Have no idea who the company is but they looked good on the webpage, so leap o' faith time it was. Could not wait to assemble pretty containers at this stage. Heck, I was even thinking I would go to the thrift stores and buy plastic garbage bins and cut holes in for drainage, but to me that would be even uglier. I had been searching online and it seemed everything was $50 for stuff that I still think is kind of ugly (forgive me, I am so high-maintenance sometimes I wonder, LOL!) and, if I am going to pay good money for a pot I want it to look scrumptious!

Anyway.

So, whew, that part is handled.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

They aren't gorgeous, but large paint buckets can be purchased at most hardware stores and at mine they come in various colors, not just black and not just white. They probably hold 10 or 15 gallons and have a bail handle for a maximum of $5. While not beautiful, they are simple enough that once the plant gets going you probably wouldn't even see it. And you could drill holes in the bottom for drainage. Home Depot carries them in Orange for Halloween.
Well, you may not need them now that you have some coming, but in case you need backups, I recommend these common large sized paint bucket.
As for going back to the place where you wanted to live, congratulations. I feel strongly that it will work because you want it so much. That seems to help one bridge all the gaps to make that "Leap of Faith" work.
And yes, the photo is fantastic and Mountain Goats are known for living in very precarious domains at the tops of mountains and for making lots of leaps. I wouldn't be surprised that this photo was real. Buy, wow! How did that photographer ever get it? He/she must have been following that herd ( I assume there were others) for a week with camera ready.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes! I wondered that too, about how that shot was captured, LOL! living like a mountain goat.......

Paj, yes, I am thinking about those big buckets too, and I know the walmart nearest to here carries them in nice colors..... but going to walmart is kind of a trek, so that was not my first choice. The local hardware is another place I need to scout out more thoroughly but they tend to be kind of pricey.

I am as of last week on the lookout with antennae raised for suitable containers! I feel the ones I ordered are sort of the basic supply, to be supplemented and added to as I go. ;-)

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

The artist I know spends a lot of time in the backcountry and only gets a few shots a season of that quality. He also has some fabulously expensive camera gear with massive telephoto lenses.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Does this person have a website where his photographs might be viewed? I love stuff like that.......

Santa Fe, NM

Great photo and such a good illustration of a leap of faith. Altho, the mountain goat probably has a wealth of experience in such leaps!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Good point, for the mountain goat it is not that big a deal! Leap o faith for a mountain goat might be going into town for a loaf of bread and a dozen eggs. ;-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

or a refreshing beverage ^_^

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

LOL!

what a picture THAT conjures, "goat night" at the local bar........

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That happens during Stampede.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

But of course!

Remind me, when is Stampede season? we may need to get some pictures of that......

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

July 3-12 this year. Training usually begins in early June.

Santa Fe, NM

What is Stampede? Is it like a rodeo? I'm married to an old goat so I need to know!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Humongus Rodeo - over a million people every year. http://cs.calgarystampede.com/events/

Reno, NV

Great photo. On the DVDs of Planet Earth there's a bunch of wonderful making of pieces that show just what they go thru to get those shots. At one point, one of the film crew spent 100+ hours in a hide trying to get a shot of the mateing behavior of a bird of paridise. That's dedicated.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Great goat photo.

The plastic paint buckets are 5-6 gallons. Cat litter buckets work well too, for those who have cats. I have several that are 3-4 gallons that I use for mixing planting mix and such. They aren't gorgeous but they are effectively free and have a carry handle.

Fall is a good time to buy pots. More likely to be on sale.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I got close to three dozen five gallon buckets from a neighbor who does drywall and it has been wonderful to have them after knocking the drywall compound out of them. But they are gradually deteriorating from exposure to the sun and I suppose I will actually have to buy some buckets one of these days. I cannot stand orange buckets either, which seem to be the ones they sell around here.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Home Depot sells Orange ones. They are their store's color.

Reno, NV

If you ask at McDonolds or other places they'll usualy give you the old pickel buckets for free.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Kyla, "goat night" at the bar reminds me of a time a coworker and I were driving through Tonopah and there was a guy walking down the sidewalk with a goat on a leash. Just as we got close, he turned and walked into a bar with the goat! We always wondered why he took the goat in the bar, but we couldn't really stop to check it out while we were on the clock.

Have you thought about strawbales? I've been reading that forum and it seems really popular and pretty simple. I haven't tried it yet but I always seem to end up with more veggies than beds by June and that strawbales could make good temporary beds. I just worry about them drying out in the wind.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey, all, good morning, or afternoon, or groundhog day , or wherever we are......

Buckets are definitely a good thing! I am still assembling sources of everything including buckets. I would not be able to abide orange ones, I don't think.

Katlian, strawbale gardening is very appealing to me! But I have to wait and see what the critters do with my little patch, before I commit to much down there, the deer would surely be quite interested in strawbales! I have not fenced anything and kinda hope not to have to. For now I am focusing on containers and doing wilder stuff down on the ground which I hope will be relatively unattractive to the hungry munchers out there....... I feel like I got such a late start and I am trying to catch up to myself on all fronts. *pant pant* ;-)

As for the goat, LOL!

~~ A man and a goat walk into a bar.

the bartender says, "What are you doing bringing that goat in here?"

and the man says "That's okay, he's baaaa-ing."

~~~

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You would have to keep watering the straw bales but I think they work pretty well. The problem is I think it takes a fair amount of time to prepare them. ( Put them in place, put nitrogen fertilizer on them, wet them down well, and let them rot for a while.) You would probably want to start now if you wanted to do it in the spring. They tell how on the straw bail forum. They seem to have good results.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Does anyone know what goat night at a bar is? I had never heard of it. We barely have bars here in Los Alamos. Even fewer goats.

Reno, NV

Baaaa-ing. Too funny.

I'm planning on trying some strawbales this year. Should be an interesting experiment. I'm also hopeing to build a keyhole garden. And some raised beds, And...

:)

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Paj, I made that up about goat night, sorry....... but in the more or less real world I am in fact angling for an introduction to some lamas kept by (so I hear) a fairly near neighbor just down the highway. Lama berries are said to be primo soil amendment material, no burning etc. Been trying to work this one since Thanksgiving, tho, so far no luck. :-(

Duchess, I see your "And..." and know the feeling! One day.........

Love to keep tabs on how your strawbales work out.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Are you unable to find the llamas? or the owners?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I can see you going in by stealth late at night ...

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Better be careful. They arrested a woman in Iowa a few days ago for a late library return. Or non-return, actually. The library police actually exist!

So I would definitely worry about llama poop police too.

Reno, NV

Stealthy poop stealing. Lol. I would so not want to sneak up on a llama. And I'll definately report on the bales.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

They just throw the llama poop out in a pile with the horse poop at our horse stables. I just go shovel it up whenever I want. It is good stuff and doesn't burn, but frankly, it doesn't look to me like the effect on the plants is much different from horse poop. It does make sort of clean looking nuts about the size of black walnuts, so perhaps it looks a little better than horse poop.
The llamas themselves are cute though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.