Leaps Of Faith!

Santa Fe, NM

They have beautiful, long eyelashes!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My DG friend in IA has llamas. Very cool but they do spit and scream. I was really keen on straw bale gardening in the back lane til 1) I found out very few do bales anymore here, they do the big rolls (no idea what they're called) 2) Bales that are available are treated with fire retardent because they are mostly used for wild stampede partys 3) They might be stolen by the people for use at wild stampede partys who would burst into flames because mine would not be treated with fire retardent.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Number three would be ok if the people who stole them were the ones sitting on them...

Not that I am judgmental or anything like that.

Come on down, I can get nice bales a mile from my house. Ones I can actually lift myself.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Ah, I see I have earned an undeserved reputation for mischievous skullduggery! But no, I would not stoop to stealing poop. However, feel free to imagine me getting up to any sort of mischief.... as long as it stays safely in the realm of fantasy.

Thank you, though, Paj, for the correct spelling of "llama" -- I knew something was awry but could not recall what.

;-)

Envious of available bales, I am. I really thought, when I moved here, I would have no problem finding sources of these substances! Boy, was I wrong. But, perhaps I just have not overturned the correct stone. Metaphorically speaking, that is.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Note to self and Kyla: Mulch has bales. Paj has been known to drive around with horse poop in her truck for entire winters. ROAD TRIP! Mulch I was STUNNED when I found out that they rarely do them here anymore. The big roles are more efficient I guess, like the new grain elevators. Let's not even talk about those. War of the Worlds. Definitely right out of War of the Worlds.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Driving around with horse poop in the truck for the winter actually sounds quite intelligent, it can break down and age there a bit before being put on the garden.

Dahlia, I know what you mean about those huge r olls -- but what is worse to my mind is when they actually shrinkwrap huge pallets of hay........ And I have seen individual bales wrapped in plastic too, with labels on and everything. sheesh.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Kyla,
Why do you think we suspect you of skullduggery instead of awesomely dedicated zeal? We were only trying to protect you from the unenlightened hordes who might not value llama poop in the same way a true gardener would!

Dahlia,
I am glad you have finally started considering Ennis as a potential destination. We are on the way to almost anywhere south of you.

Big Ag does all manner of things not fit for polite conversation, and grain elevators and plastic wrap are far from the worst of it all.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, yes, let's not go into Big Ag, it is too dire a subject.

Mulch, I appreciate the redefinition from skullduggery to zeal. Thank you!

I was thinking last night, it would be neat to see a map that includes all our locations. We are sprinkled all over some area or other....... Canada to New Mexico and pokes West.......

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Kyla, I suggested a Google Earth KML (with generic locations of course) to the admins but they thought it would be too much of a privacy issue. I sort of got snubbed upon further inquiry so I dropped it.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I am having a longterm love affair with googlemapguy. I looked all of us up so I have a mental picture in my mind. It really helps cuz we go from ND in the east and zig zag through many states to end southest so far in NM (WA, OR, MT, CO, NV, CA etc. inbetween) and of course in every state we're all spread out. ( ps good thing I explained googlemapguy to my DH cuz he was getting a tad jealous)

Santa Fe, NM

We could draw our own map. With dragons and llamas. The old maps were quite beautiful and fantastic. With all manner of leaps and shamanic activity. Think Marco Polo! I don't have a projector or scanner but I have been as far north in the Rockies as Boulder! And as far south as they go, I think. Could be drawn from memory.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Have you downloaded version 5 yet? It has underwater topography for the oceans so you can look at canyons and seamounts and such. Plus they have a bunch of new content geared toward ocean subjects.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Could it have marauding hordes of mormon crickets? I've been through Austin when they're plowing cricket carcases off the pass so the cars don't slide down the mountain.

Santa Fe, NM

Certainly. That's what you saw, so it should be on the map to warn other travelers.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

lord.

Roybird, I like your vision, let's include it all! Crickets, coyotes, quail, dragons, roadrunners, llamas, snirt, rocks, greenhouses, dahlias, cacti, all. All on the map.

;-)

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

not to mention a few giant snowflakes.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

WAIT! Killer crickets! We have killer crickets! I know nothing about this. Should I be very afraid? O ya I plopped in like a giant snowflake in the TX Forum last week and accidently almost put out their fireside chat so definitely giant snowflakes should be included IMHO. How do we make a map? I think it will be stickyworthy so we need Admin. for that but if we can make it ourselves so they just have to use their stickypowers it makes it easier for them. I think Sof might be good at this (living in a wormhole and all) but I don't know everyone's hidden talents? Calling all Map Scientists!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Well, since about half of my job is making pretty maps I guess I could volunteer.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

YIPPPEEE! A Map Scientist! We have a Map Scientest! ok I will just wait on the sidelines and cheer cuz I know nothing. Thanks everso Katlian!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Here's a nice little herd in Reese River Valley. The live ones crawl out on the highway to eat the dead ones. It's a rather macabre cascade effect.

Thumbnail by Katlian
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Note to self: Never go to Reese River Valley. Why don't we know about this? Why hasn't the military been called out? That is very, very scarey looking. I like crickets too. It's like a plague of the locusts; but crickets. Do they attack at random? Do they plot?

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

A few years ago the newspaper had a picture of a very sad little boy looking out the window and the outside of the house was covered with crickets. The caption said he was sad that he couldn't go outside to play because of the crickets. I wish I could find that photo again.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Poor little guy! My mother used to talk about the plague of locusts when she was a little girl in Wyoming. I have seen those big black Mormon locusts, but I have never seen enough of them to eat everything in sight as the used to do. Is that what you saw there Katlian? Locusts? were the really crickets, a more docile lot as far as I am concerned.
How excellent that you are a map maker! Do you put dragons etc. on your maps? If not perhaps you could rely on roybird for help. She would be good at that.
I like the idea of all of us showing up on a map.
I, too, am a big fan of Goggle earth, Dahlia. If you google my house you will see my vacant lot out behind, and the last time I looked my old jeep truck parked next to the vacant lot. The old truck has since been donated to charity. They don't update all that often.
Googleguy is certainly a genius!

here is my leap of faith... I do believe this bell pepper plant will survive and come back stronger than ever. I hate to cut off the baby bells but there are only 2 viable leaves on the whole plant, man it was doing so good too. 28 degrees even for just two hours is too cold for bells. Forgot my peas outdoors too but they look ok.

Thumbnail by angele
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Your pepper looks very sad. Peas do pretty well with sub-freezing temps. Lettuces too.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Oh, poor pepper, glad he will make it.

I did a show in La Quinta one year of heavy rains. It was the most appalling mass of insects I have ever seen, and insects don't usually bother me much. Everything laying on the ground almost immediately had masses of those awful black bugs, probably mormon crickets from your description above.

That was annoying enough but in the evenings they came out and crawled all over everything, and I mean everything. I had a sweet young gal I did not know very well assisting me in the booth and she was terrified of the things. So I discreetly kept knocking them off the legs of her chair without telling her they were there, trying to avoid an incident.

While she was gone to restroom one climbed up into the booth framework and fell down the neck of my blouse. I am not a screamer, but I let out a screech when the darn thing pinched me hard. I did not tell her about that either.

All to no avail. She went back to the restroom to change into warmer clothes for the long evening. A giant moth had been sleeping in the window all day there but she had not noticed it. About the time she was down to her underwear, it woke up and started flying around. She screamed, which got everyone's attention. Then she ran outside, which really got their attention.

Loading out at the end of the show I tried to avoid getting any bugs in the van, but they were in there. Driving in the dark they started crawling around, one got on my seat and I made the mistake of turning on the interior light to see. There were bazillions of them all over the place.

I drove like mad to get back to Montana where they would freeze into corpses. A bad show indeed.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Katlian, what is your job? Are you a geomatician? I LOVE maps. Are you serious about making us a map?

The goat picture is from Glacier, so Sofer will know that spot. I've hiked quite a lot in goat habitat. Up on the Beartooth Plateau, they would usually come around at night and brush up against the tent or rummage in our packs. In Glacier, we had close-up encounters with them on the trail.

The Glacier goats like to stop and have a chat. "Where ya goin'? -- Oh, I can tell you a great way to get there!" Then you're in big trouble unless you have suction cups on all four extremities.

Please... no more cricket photos. I don't want to have nightmares.

Santa Fe, NM

True Stories! Things that need mapping. You go, Katlian. I'm thinking of starting small with a map of my neighborhood. There is a big dog behind a tall fence that barks if you walk by but across from that is a small Pekineese-looking dog that rushes out on the end of a thin chain and goes nuts if you walk by. I usually chose the little dog or the middle of the street, taking my chances with the traffic. I could map that. Comix are basically maps, when i think about it.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Okay, here's another leap. Try this out and see if it works for you.

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1199083#Post1199083

Save the file to your computer and open it with Google Earth.

Actually, I'm an ecologist but planning where to survey and showing the results of surveys requires a lot of map work. Since our office is so small we don't have one person who does all of the maps, we are each responsible for our own maps.

Mulch, I don't know how big your bugs were but here's an article with photos of someone holding an adult cricket for scale. I can understand screaming if one of these dropped on you.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I did not scream when it dropped on me, I screeched when it pinched me with those ugly pincers, it was a mean one!

Where is the article?

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Size is about right, look is wrong for the bugs we had. The La Quinta ones looked more like big black beetles with huge pincers, but everyone down there said they were a kind of cricket.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Healing vibes for that pepper plant:

}}}}}}}}pepper{{{{{{{{{

;-)

Thanks for the goat info, the credit said Comeau gorge or something like that, amazing terrain!

Bugs, I dunno, I like them very much sort of one at a time when I can admire their delicacy and strangeness but swarms and masses are more than I want to deal with! Mulch, I would have shrieked too, the startle factor alone! I have a low startle threshold anyways. Sheesh.

Santa Fe, NM

I can make myself screech just thinking of bugs! Even the beautiful ones can ick me out. I do like bees very much and am not afraid of them, just respectful. My favorite picture from last summer had a praying mantis in it and they are amazing. I just don't want any bugs on me, except lady bugs. They are very nice.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

No, not on me either! What I love though about gardening is the various jeweled little wasps that can show up, things that are just lovely.......

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

So has anyone tried the google earth file? If it doesn't work I'll try to figure out something else.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, sorry! Katlian, I thought that URL was a previous attempt to share the insect article. So, just went back and tried to open, didn't succeed..... but I bet others can, I am notoriously clutzy with this stuff.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Which part didn't work? The link, or the file download, or google earth?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

It downloaded and I could not open it. Perhaps I don't know how to use Google earth..... my computer said something like "this file is not a movie." O o o o kay......

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Okay, that t ime I registered for Google earth and activated my account, so that got handled all fine, but still could not open t he download -- my comput er is trying to open it in Quicktime.......

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.