Leaps Of Faith!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Try opening google earth and then use the file> open menu item to open the file. It's just registered wrong in your computer but that's more complicated to fix.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Have I ever mentioned how much I totally HATE Vista!!!!! My one computer has too many knights in shining armour protecting me from Kaitlians file and the other is like 'Huh? Duh. Man I don't recognize that program. Is it like, duh, a word file? Gimme a hint. What does it start with?" ARGHHHHHHH! I know its in here somewhere but the question is where? O bother. I shall have to enlist techieguy to come over and coax it out of the weinerbrain puter.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

send him here when you're done with him willya?

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Make mental note never to get Windows Vista.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I got it opened up okay. My room mate just got a new Dell and opted for Windows XP instead of Vista. He heard a lot of bad things about it.

I am a Mac user though and the monitor's light went out after seven years of use. It will cost me a lot to get it fixed I think. I can't do it right now and I really miss my Mac!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Note to everyone and future generations: Never ever, never ever go to Vista. It is the dark side. Even Yoda is powerless.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

o sure brag why don't ya plutodrive.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Did plutodrive brag? Because of the Mac? I use a Mac and thought that was probably t he problem.

but I h ave heard that about Vista. Fortunately, it can't get at me. ;-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oops sorry Kyla. I was teasing Plutodrive about being able to open Katlians fabby map which I can't do because I'm on the Vista dark side.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Ah. I guess that was a brag! And I did not even notice. ;-)

So far, Plutodrive is the only one who has seen it! Except for Katlian. Hmm.....

Well, mysteries abound in this world.......

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Okay, I'm back from class for few minutes before bed. I'm glad you can see it Pluto, that means I didn't screw it up too bad. I don't have Vista yet. At home we're still running windows 2000! We're in a bind at work because all of the new computers come with vista but the special sofware our agency uses to track rare species is only compatible with XP. We might have to skip a whole round of new computers.

For those you who can't open the file I would suggest either opening google earth first and then using Google earth to open the file or right clicking on the file and choose Google earth from the Open With> option. I can't really help with Vista since I've never used a computer that was running Vista.

The kmz file basically shows a bunch of the towns that people who have posted in this forum live in and a driving route starting in Calgary and ending in New Mexico.

I was thinking about making a map as a picture but the photos on Dave's are so small that it would be hard to see everything on the map.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2009 9:34 PM

This message was edited Feb 3, 2009 9:42 PM

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Vista is why I switched to mac when my previous computer did a massive self destruct. I liked XP all right but the increasing security problems were driving me crazy. And I have been horrified by Vista because it has its worst problems with everything I use the most on my computer.

I have been happy with my mac except for the way it works with printers. That is a nightmare at times.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Okay, I found a way to look at the map that doesn't involve downloading a file. Try this link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=http:%2F%2Fbbs.keyhole.com%2Fplacemarks%2F765953.kmz&ie=UTF8&z=5

This message was edited Feb 4, 2009 8:29 AM

works for me,
~snif Elephant Butte not included, ~snif, snif... somebody hand me a tissue

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

No, neither was pluto in Denver. I just missed you when I was scrolling throught the thread. I can always add more the map and not just towns. If you know a place with cool plants, cool rocks, scary bugs, dragons, etc all I need are coordinates.

we have an elephant in the reservoir and a turtle on top of our mountain so we must make the list ;~)

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

It didn't turn out as cool in G-maps because you can't do the fly through tour like you can in G-earth.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I am late getting here, but your first google earth worked perfectly. Needless to say, I have XP. Also my DH loves Google Earth. When he has a little time, sometimes he sits at the computer and visits places here and there all over the world. So he is probably the one who fixed the computer so it automatically views .kmz files with Google Earth.
And I might add the little map pin is pointed directly at my house and I can even see my old white pickup truck parked on the street behind the house where my vacant lot is. I am ready to unload the manure from my truck and head out to visit each and every one of you. Well, not really, I have a sick 161/2 year old dog who needs my care, but some day, i would love to make the trip.
Great work Katlian. I haven't tried the fly through. That sounds like fun. The map picture worked fine as well.
Interesting, the mormon cricket was similar to the ones I have seen but not identical. I guess they vary a lot. Mine, if anything, were bigger, very black and shiny and look more like a really big grasshopper. They also had little bits of yellow and red on them. Pretty if you can be objective which it is hard to be with something eating everything in sight.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you so much! I think the purple drive route has a very friendly shape to it.

I like playing with Google Earth too and before I moved here had fun locating it and seeing the size of the blinkin moutain. Very Big!!!!! ;-)

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Hi Paj,
I didn't mean to put the dot right on your house. That's the spot that g-earth gave me when I searched for Los Alamos. I have never really looked at Los Alamos very closely. All of those canyons running though town must make travelling across town a little akward. The people who live on the west side of town must have been terrified, that fire came really close.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Don't worry about pinpointing the house, we have lots of nosy neighbors to keep bad guys away and two barking dogs when strangers come. I am sure it did that because DH has put our house on some Google Earth map and failed to make it private -- will talk to him about it.
You are right about the canyons running through town. They make for great places to hike and wild life cover, but whoever laid out this town at the beginning of WWII was in Washington and laid out the streets in a grid right across the canyons and they built according to the DC plans, but they just omitted building streets in the canyons and up and down the 400 ft. canyon walls. So now if you want to drive to a given address on say, 39th street, you have to try on 3 different canyons unless you take the trouble of finding out which mesa has the ranges of addresses you want. That actually happened to me once before I moved up here from Santa Fe.
Oh, and the fire was absolutely terrifying for everyone, but you are right the people on the west of town had the most to worry about. The entire town was evacuated for a week and during that time everyone stayed glued to the TV wherever they were to try to figure out if their home had been burned. And news reports weren't very accurate because the reporters are from all over the place -- Albuquerque and out of state. They kept reporting that this and that had burned and were often wrong. It was a stressful time and the west face of our mountains is only just starting to green up. As an ecologist you probably know a lot about fire recovery in arid high altitude areas. It will not happen in my lifetime, but it does get better every year. Still, I hate looking at the dead trees outlined against the sky at the mountain crests.
Los Alamos is a fascinating town. Interesting terrain and wierd, but interesting people.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

West Yellowstone, 1988.

Thumbnail by picante
Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

And another one.

Thumbnail by picante
Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

I used to work at the park information desk in Menzel's (first pic). It's also the Greyhound depot.

In 1988, I was in Ennis working for the BLM. BLM does not send their seasonal employees out on fire crews. Lucky me -- my lungs are the better for it. The local FS employees were getting sent to Yellowstone. They'd come back a few weeks later and cough for a month or more.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

There we are. I can see that map. Thanks Katlian.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Paj, the city name locations come from the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) that is maintained by the USGS. I'm not sure what their exact procedure is for choosing a spot but I think they just pick a spot near the middle of the city. The GNIS also contains natural features and landmarks. Most of the data has been transcribed off USGS topo maps and then refined with satellite imagery.

I guess you must have the most centrally located house in town!

Picante, I'm glad I never got sent to fight fires. The idea of digging fireline up a mountain in the heat, breathing smoke all day and sleeping in a tent camp with 500 other people just never really appealed to me. I had friends who just loved it though. I usually worked the emergency rehab teams, which is a lot less stressful.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Hummmm. Wonder how the GNIS picked us? We definitely aren't in the center of town -- population or geographic wise. Well, now that I have outed myself, I guess I will have to start locking my doors. Not that I think much of anybody except the DG Rocky Mt. Forum would know -- and you guys are all invited here anyhow, anytime. Now you can **really** find my house.
And if you check the map you can see my house with the hell strip in front on Loma Linda and my vacant corner lot and the extreme expanse of hell strip around it. I never stopped to think that the neighbors would be offended by how I kept my vacant lot. Well, I pointed out to the county when they came after me that they actually owned the hell strip and that was the only part of the lot with high weeds and they were welcome to mow it! And you know what, it worked. Now they come with a big tractor with a sort of a side mowing bar sticking out and mow the hell strip on my vacant lot.
I think that particular neighbor really got to them. I know she got to me.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

On a side topic:
What are your favorite antidotes when someone "gets to you"?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I put fish in their hubcaps.

Reno, NV

Cool map! I haven't been at the computer much today and have to run again but HI1 And I hate those crickets. Ugg. And flying carpenter ants- tripel ugg.

The fires here last year were pretty bad. Not close to where we live but the whole valley was full of smoke for a month. No breathing for us.

Reno, NV

Fish in hubcaps. Hmm. Tiny shrimp, everywhere? Rice crispys in the air vents?

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Hey Paj, which verison of Google eatrh do you have? Just curious because I don't see a vacant lot or Loma Linda Dr. My marker is in a cul-de-sac called Tiffany Ct.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I never thought of putting fish in hubcaps and I am fairly imaginative when necessary. That is a good one.

I knew someone who packed the cold unused steam radiators in a dorm room (not their own) with Limburger cheese just before the heat was turned on though...

Personally, I like putting a water ballon inside a birthday cake and having the birthday person cut the cake. Really good if you put food coloring in the ballon before filling it.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Dparsons,
This fish in hubcaps thing is growing on me. You are diabolical.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Fish in hubcaps is popular in New Orleans, probably because fish are easy to come by.

Katlian,
Our version of Google Earth is 4.2. I have now started the update program to bring us the latest, but DH and I figured out the Google Earth took your map and added our house to it with a map pin, but we are relieved to learn that that only happens on our PC. Whew! My actual address is on Address Exchange under Extras if any of you want to see my actual property and the total extent of my hellish hell strip on Google Earth. You can only see addresses on the address exchange if you have entered your own though.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Kyla, I just realized where Weed is and which blinkin' mountain you're referring to. My dad was born there. In the town of Mt. Shasta, Nov. 1, 1927. Someone went to fetch the doctor, and he didn't answer the door because, you see, it was after dark on Halloween, and he didn't want any trick-or-treaters. So I guess Grandma did it without the doc.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

oh wow how cool. hee hee!

Mountain is right out my front door and windows, one thing I have is a fabulous view.

Do you still have family in the area?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh wow! A view of Mt. Shasta. I wondered how you picked Weed!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, it wasn't quite like that, actually..... though I admit, the mountain did figure in.

I had wanted badly to move back to CA for ages, and this place came to my attention via a good friend and the neighbors on the property were willing to give me a bit of assist getting settled (as they are friends of my friend) and my job lets me live pretty much anywhere I can have a phone and internet, so........ I could not pass it up. So here I am.

And I kind of fancy living someplace called "Weed".........

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Well, it might not be the first choice of a name for most gardeners, but if it makes you happy... ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.