Leaps Of Faith!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, no, I can see that. For me though, it is perfect. I have always appreciated weeds quite a bit more than most other gardeners I know. ;-)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

We have a Weed, NM, too down near El Paso. I think it is in the mountains outside Alamogordo.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Dad is downstream in Sacramento now. Mom is in Lincoln, CA. Sister is in SF, aka the City. We be 4th-generation Californians.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

My. Well, I lived in SF for quite a while at one point, and then in Santa Cruz, but originally from NC. Adopted Californian I am. Tried going back to NC with a good will, didn't work. Have never been in Montana but find it oddly appealing. Are the Grand Tetons in Montana by any chance?

Paj, wonder if your Weed is related? This one is named for one Abner Weed who did something with lumber, I believe.....

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

The fish idea came by way of my parents. My Uncle did this when my Dad got married as a practical joke. It was August. It took them a while to figure out that the odor was traveling with them and the even longer to figure out from where. No AC so the windows were down.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

eep.

What a diabolical practical joke! My dad's family of brothers were like that too, I can imagine one of them doing that quite easily.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

If you put the fish in the hubcap in winter, they wouldn't even notice it until spring here in Montana.

Were there lots of dogs sniffing at the hubcap?

The Grand Tetons are in Wyoming, just south of Yellowstone Park.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Don't know about dogs sniffing specifically. I expect it was likely.

Santa Fe, NM

O.K. I'm trying to catch up but have so much to do today that I'm rather pressed for time. Still, Dparsons, Fish in the Hubcaps??!! That is too good! I had to stop right there and hold the thought. Will try to get back to this thread tonight.

Reno, NV

Too funny about the Dr Picante. When I was born the midwife had left to fix dinner for her family. When she got back I was already here. My folks never seem to get tired of telling that story.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I knew the Grand Tetons were in Wyoming, but wondered if they also ranged into Montana? As you can see my geography is rather more imaginative than factual.

Yes, fish in the hubcaps is a kind of peak point in the conversation, who could ever match that? LOL! Course, the Halloween scaredy cat Dr is pretty close......

Reno, NV

I think this is one of the most devious get back at someone's I've ever heard.
Let the air out of all 4 tires. Not cut them but just open the valve steams. No one carries 4 spares and the only way to fix is flat bed towing to a shop.

Ok. That out there. It would really suck to do to someone. My husband and I had the tires slashed on our cars last summer. Not nice.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Duchess, I lived next to real jerk for about three weeks on a job assignment and the morning I moved out he had parked right in front of my door again so I unscrewed his valve stems and left them on the hood.

On a lighter note, here is a new version of the maps with some fun icons thrown in :
Google Earth:
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=766527&filename=Rocky%20Mountain%20Gardening2.kmz

Dang, the DG post keeps cutting off this address halfway through, try this -
Google Maps: Right click on the link, copy the address, and paste it into the search bar on google maps.
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=766527&filename=Rocky%20Mountain%20Gardening2.kmz

This message was edited Feb 5, 2009 2:49 PM

Reno, NV

You showed lots of restraint:).

Still having trouble with the maps. Don't know if it's this computer or this opperater is failing the 10% rule today. You must be at least 10% smarter than any object that you're attempting to use. Sometimes I fail with doorknobs.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

This might work better.

Google maps:
http://tinyurl.com/cvun5f

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Cool!

Reno, NV

Awesome!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Good, I'm glad you can see them. I worry sometimes that this stuff will never work right.

Reno, NV

Hehe. I can see my house from here. Looks like it was taken before we moved in.

I love where the dragons nest is. Looks like it'll be sitting on a nest of geods.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Yep, and shatter cones too.

So you can all send me things to add to the map. I need the coordinates and a name. I can add photos that are in Panoramio too. It's difficult to send the panoramio link in dmail so coordinates and name should allow me to find and add it.

The coordinates can be found when you add a new placemark (just make sure the marker is in the right place).

Thumbnail by Katlian
Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

So, I've been playing with the map and have discovered a new way to load it in GE. Copy the link for the map file:
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=766817&filename=Rocky%20Mountain%20Gardening3.kmz
then open GE and add a Network Link (under the Add menu). Paste the address in the link box and you're done. You may need to adjust the Refresh rate to see changes but then you never have to reload the file to see updates because it's done automatically!
My boss is letting me play with this a little at work because we are thinking about posting all of our weed location data on our website so that people can view it in GE (which is easier and cheaper than traditional GIS software).

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Cool. Tell your boss thanks from your DG buds.

Santa Fe, NM

Great!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I realized later that it might be a way to circumvent Dahlias knights in shining armor too.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Try
35 05' 33.37" N
106 40' 49.43" W
Its the entrance to the Botanical gardens here in Albuquerque. The brown wiggly thing to the West of it is the Rio Poquito, which is mistakenly called the Rio Grande by most people.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Found it. Cool! I have never been there. Next time I am in Albuquerque I will have to go -- no excuse, now with a map.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Darn, when I update the file the forum changes the name and the network link is broken. Hmm, I just have to find a place to host it where the name stays the same.
New link:
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=767311&filename=Rocky%20Mountain%20Gardening3.kmz

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

The map looks great, but why doesn't the purple line go to Elephant Butte? There is definitely a road to it. I -25 most of the way.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Oh, I took that off. I was just showing how you can connect the dots with GE but I didn't re-do it when I added Elephant Butte or Denver or the other places. You can make your own routes by right clicking on the start and finish and selecting "Directions to here" or "Directions from here".

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, okay, I will.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

fyi looked at head on mormon crickets seem to be wearing smiley faces but it doesnt make them look cute

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Mormon crickets aren't cute. Period. I can't imagine how they could be made cute and the fact that they come in droves makes them not only ugly but terrifying. Yetch!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

And then there's the weird little noise they make, double yuck.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

LOL! grossing me out, y'all are.....

Compost them all, I say!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I don't know if I would want them in compost, they stink. They have a lot of fat in them so when you drive through the squished ones the greasy stuff sticks on the bottom of your car and it stinks like squished crickets all day. Triple and quadruple yuck.

I always thought it might be a good business to have a herd of emus and take them out to the worst infestations to feast on the little beasties. Chickens get fat on little bugs, why not feed bigger bugs to bigger birds. You would just have to train a bird herding dog. maybe you could run them with a herd of goats to eat the weeds while you're at it.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Gosh, Katlian, sounds like a well worked out plan there. Katlian's Traveling Cricket-Exterminating Emu Festival and the Gardening Goats, ......

needs a better name though.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

You make it sound worse than fish.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Much worse. One can compost fish.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Blechchch. Just what I needed right before breakfast!
Go for it, Katlian.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I like the idea of Emu's eating Mormon crickets -- truly good ecology -- as far as I know. I wonder if it is possible to herd them? Goats would only be useful if you wanted to get rid of whatever the crickets were eating. Of course, emus would probably have already stomped whatever you were removing the crickets from -- so why not goats? I have always wondered if one couldn't use bacterial warfare on Mormon crickets -- Nolo bait such as is used on grasshoppers. It gets rid of them for generations.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.