Leaps Of Faith!

Santa Fe, NM

EEWWW. Bring on the Emus! You know there are emus on ranches in eastern New Mexico, right? I saw some in a big rain storm once somewhere east of Springer. They looked Miserable.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I can imagine if all those feathers wilted they would really have a bad hair day! I guess they are desert creatures, but I have seen them in Mississippi.

Reno, NV

Never get yourself chased by wild emu! Way scary. There used to be some that escaped up by Truckee. They are very teritorial as I learned.

Lol. "Katlian's Traveling Cricket-Exterminating Emu Festival and the Gardening Goats"
I like that name.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Adventures of the Duchess, installment XIX: Chased By Wild Emus! Will she be rescued?????!?!!? Will she escape!?!?!? Will the emus taste like chicken?!?!?!?

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I've never eaten an emus but ostrich tastes like lean beef when well cooked and just plain weird when medium rare.

I wonder how well the emus would get along with the goats? Would they ride in a trailer? What would I do with the emus in the winter? They don't seem very cold tolerant.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Ahem... excuse me, but I find this conversation has taken a barbaric turn. I do like Mormon crickets, but not for every meal! And as for how I taste, well... I'll chew on my toes a bit and let you know.

Elbert the Emu
You can see my picture at
http://www.garden-city.org/zoo/animalinfo/Birds/emu.htm

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Great just what we need in AB. Flocks of dozens of giant emus eating all the grain. EMUS PLEASE STAY HOME! Man they are scarier than the crickets. Click! on goes the nite light.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Great article. I can imagine the ribbing the army took when they couldn't kill emus! Serves them right. Tall fences were a far better solution.

Reno, NV

So know for the nighmare part. Emus are closely related to and probably descendants of velosoraptors. There are only a few genes that need to be changed to somewhat de-evolve them....and scientics are working on it.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Would that be the "Dumb as Doornobs Let's Make Scary Dinosaurs to Extinct All the Peoples" Scientists? We "Rocket" Scientists are sooooooooo NOT working on that. Just putting in a good word for the ethical scientists.

Reno, NV

Oh I hear you. Books are for entertainment not to decied the fate of world. "Hey it worked in the book and yea they let them lose but we wont do that".

Lol. Tho, the mad scientist in my nature is fasinated by the idea of recreating a dino.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I am just fine with dragons thank you very much. Dragons are smarter too.

Santa Fe, NM

So true, Dahlia. Emus are unpleasant creatures. But, if they ate ooky bugs I might learn to like them. Chased by wilds emus. That should be added to the great book of quotations.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Well, there are no grain fields to worry about in Nevada except the occasional corn patch. I didn't know they could run 40 miles an hour though. I can just imagine trying to chase them across the desert. I guess I will have to find a smaller, more cooperative bird.

Reno, NV

I knew a guy who put up butcher paper on one wall of his apartment. There were pens everywhere so good quoats could go on the wall. Still remember some of them- "it's not Gorbichoff red, more like strawberry". "Boys have secrets too and if I knew what they are I wouldn't tell you" "slow down, thanksgiving isn't a sprint it's more like a marathon"

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

wonder if anyone has ever "broken" an emu to saddle. 40 mph sounds pretty respectable.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Probably Kyla cuz I think they ride ostriches. Who IS the librarian for the Great Book of Quotations BTW? I lost track...

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh. I don't think we chose a librarian, we only got to the stage of thinking it was a good idea.

I can see a cart and six emus harnessed, chasing down them crickets! Yee-HA! LOL!

Riding in the cart, of course, are the goats, armed with giant weed whackers.

This may not be an effective pest control method, but it sure would be fun to watch.

Heck, people would probably grow weeds and lure crickets, just to make it worthwhile for the Emu/Goat team to show up!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Emus with chariots. I'm in if I can drive one.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Katlian,
" I didn't know they could run 40 miles an hour though. I can just imagine trying to chase them across the desert. I guess I will have to find a smaller, more cooperative bird."

Not a problem. You herd them with 4WD Jeeps like a real cowperson or rather emuperson! Talk about fun - flying across the desert after huge birds running 40 mph! Now that would be a thrill. But maybe not so much as riding in a chariot pulled by 6 emus.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I think I still prefer elephants.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes paj and dpasons will definitely be on elephants. In a perfect world, they would lead the emu chariots into cricket battle. Do elephants even bother about crickets though? I rather thought they wouldn't care.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Paj, it might be fun on the salt flat but anywhere else would be begging for a broken axle and a sprained neck. They don't seem to stick together in flocks either so it might be difficult to keep them together. I think the birds need to be a brighter color too. Emus would blend in with the sagebrush and pinyon so well that it would be easy to loose them. I wonder if emus screech like peacocks. That would get old really fast.

Basically we need a flocks of Big Birds, slow, bright colored, friendly. I'm just not sure I want them to talk back.

Do elephants eat crickets?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I think we should just dye the emus. Dahlia will choose the color combinations, of course.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

'Do elephants eat crickets?' I'm sure that great minds have pondered that question for centuries. Personally, I think they would just stomp them but only the swarming plague of evil crickets. The would leave the luvly chirping, singing normal crickets alone. Anyhoo Paj is our elephant expert and will know the answer.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

How bout tie-dyed emus? Very retro. Bet it would scare the crappola out of the crickets especially if they were harnessed to gold and silver glittery chariots. WAIT!....a cloud of dust rises on the horizon... it's hazy but then... sparkling in the sun... emu driven chariots.... racing like the wind... with Druids at the reins.... The crickets freeze in horror...... and then the battle cry rises to the heavens... (Note: we will need a battle cry)

remember what happened to the wooden boy when he didn't listen to his cricket

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I always thought it was the Blue Fairy's fault angele but then I think the Blue Fairy was a summer fairy and I have issues with summer fairys.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I think the crickets will be easily eaten because they will be laughing at the emus.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Their little cricket knees will be knockin dparsons. You are so NOT going with the flow. I think 'Chariots of Fire' will be playing as we charge. WAIT! OH NO an emu stumbles and the team goes down in a rainbow of tie-dyed colour.... the chariot topples.... Kaitlen is thrown towards a prickly pear cactus..... but look out of the dust... Duchess in her chariot appears..... quickly gives Kaitlen a one arm swing up onto her chariot..... and the charge continues... It will be EPIC! BTW how are your eyeballs dparons? Just checkin. Now that we know about SSES I will always be concerned.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Sadly, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to dye or paint any animals in Nevada (apparently it used to be popular to dye chicks and bunnies for easter instaed of just eggs). How about if we tie multi colored streamers onto them? There's a camel race in Virginia City every year, perhaps we could persuade them to open a emu drawn chariot division. Just think, Ben Hur with emus. We could even wear those leather kilts and big, strappy sandals.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Ooh, what about cassowaries? They look like they've already been dyed!
http://www.animalpicturesarchive.com/view.php?tid=3&did=25584

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Oh, I am going with the flow. I have no idea what SSES is but my eyes are just fine. I think if it is illegal to dye the Emus that they should be fed dye. They will turn colors when the dye reaches their feathers, much like Chrysanthemums. Then if questioned we can claim that the feathers really are that color and we will be right.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

OK. I found SSES online:
Sewer System Evaluation Survey

I don't get it.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

It's probably a good thing we don't have a moderator.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I am quite sure Elephants don't eat mormon crickets or any crickets or grasshoppers. Elephants are vegetarians. They especially like bananas and banana leaves. They also are very fond of sugar cane. But they would probably stomp the crickets and those crickets would be flatter than pancakes. The trouble is they aren't all that fast. They would slowly stomp the crickets, but they would get lots with each step . We will still need the emus. dparsons is right. We can feed them food with dye in it and they will be gorgeous and that will be their color. They will not have been dyed -- exactly. I didn't know there were camel races in Virginia City. Surely they would be willing to add Emu chariot races, especially if the emus were brightly colored.
And the elephants can go first to stomp on all the crickets so the emus can eat them quickly without losing speed.
You are probably right that it is good if we don't have a moderator, dparsons. We would probably all be in a room with soft walls, floor and ceiling. Hopefully together, though!

never mind what happened to the wooden boy when he didn't listen to his cricket. The real story goes like this "The book cricket was crushed to death by a mallet, though this happens in the first chapter and he thereafter appears once as a ghost and thenceforth as a living cricket, none the worse for being killed with a hammer.'
soooo... I guess I shoulda read the book.
crickets can't be killed they are only mostly dead and not completely dead. I wonder if they used the bellows of life.

edit:
nite nite, see you soon

This message was edited Feb 9, 2009 11:32 PM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

SSES = Sideways Stretched Eyeball Syndrome; occurs from watching wide screen TV.
Angele I guess we will have to resort to magic to truly wipe out the crickets.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

The cassowary is quite brilliant, Katlian.

But... I think we're asking for BIG trouble with flightless birds. Just think how they'll multiply with that huge food source. Then they'll all be milling around due to their flightlessness. They'll be everywhere--shopping malls, nurseries, school playgrounds. Eeeek. "Mom, I was abducted by a double-wattled cassowary".

Nope, I think we need a bird that can fly away when it's done with the job.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Griffins would work.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.