Leaps Of Faith!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I've been thinking about the circkets and we might have it all wrong. We've been thinking about them as evil little creatures but what if they're just aliens that are here on a vacation. Maybe the swarms are just spring break kids who are getting a little rowdy. At least they've chosen a sparsely populated part of the earth to vacation on. Perhaps the western US is a sort of south Florida for cricket aliens. They must not have cars on their planet though, so they don't realize that they have to stay off the roads. Creatures from different planets use different areas, cicadas in the south, locusts in Africa. Sure, were not getting paid by these tourists, but it's not like any one pays the bison in Yellowstone or the fish in Florida. Perhaps ants are the travel agents and tour guides for our alien visitors, they certainly seem be prospering.

I read a book a couple of months ago about how humans, and mammals in general, were a sort of evolutionary oddity among the intelligent beings of the galaxy. Most of the other planets had developed intelligence at the insect-ish or reptile-ish stage but the major extinction events had interrupted this natural progression on earth.

BTW - I really like the pink frilly swim cap near the bottom of the page. Just image that in silver lamé.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I like the pink one too Kaitlan but thought that it might clash with my screaming orange sweater. It would colour coordinate nicely though with my one remaining hot pink water wing. Perhaps I should get both?

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

You could even wear them in layers, with one peeking out from under the other.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Maybe some fringe for your outfit, roybird?

I want to know when Mulch is due to come streaking through the atmosphere, where exactly she will splash down ... you know, the details. Kyla, we've got scones and clotted cream awaiting you in the sidecar. And maybe some other things I don't know about.

I just don't see how crickets managed to infiltrate the DG inner circle. I thought this was a really secure site. Very distressing.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Kat, you know? I think you may have something, about the vacationing aliens idea. Honestly, they have not been unkind to me, just seem to be trying to communicate. (They think limp saltines and stale koolade are what we eat, I think they must have examined some picnic litter somewhere......)

Dahlia, in fact, the combo of hot pink and screaming orange is an intergalactic code signal that will alert my captors to release me! They will also think it highly beautiful. Once I am safely away you can ch ange into your traveling outfit which might replace the screaming orange with a nice electric blue.........

The hat, however, is key as it will remind t hem of their home planet. Just be careful not to get colonized!!!!!!

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I realized I have to install a muffler on the asteroid so as not to be too disruptive on my entrance. I may also have to install something to keep the air force from shooting me down. I am thinking in terms of poppy petals so the asteroid looks like a lovely flower settling to earth.

There is a shortage of poppy petals at this time of year, however.

I am beginning to think that my dog Cosmo somehow got his errant color sense in tail painting from the crickets too. He apparently has a secret life I had not noticed.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes, Mulch, the crickets can explain a lot. Which may be the same as havin a lot of 'splainin to do......

Do we have a translator yet?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ahhhhhh that does explain Cosmo's paintings.

Reno, NV

I will immedatly take a break from a fan step with my lovely handsome pink Argentinan octopus to deliver a bit of intergalatic star dust to dahlia. This is just the fertalizer that the flowers on your hat need. The flowers are the means to translateing our intentions to the crickets. They radiate and twist and the combinations of colors, smells, and briteness is language.

Cosmo is indeed a wonderfuly intenlegent ambassidor to the world. Red of course refers to the cricket word for....

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

*skc-ttchch--ckstck*

And, as this thread which I started has grown well past its rootzone of 200 posts, logging in at 249, I believe, I shall start another forthwith.....

located here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/952065/

This message was edited Feb 12, 2009 1:24 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.