A far more productive day due to input from a shaman.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

How's that for a new name encompassing a couple of our themes.
We came from here. :
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/943968/

This message was edited Feb 2, 2009 6:08 PM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

LOL paj. Good thing I looked. I was grabbing the wheel from dear Roybird to steer to a new thread "A Productive Spring: Shamons, Music and Dancing" ^_^ I luv your new title. We came from here all http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/943968/

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!

As for shamans and Hollywood dramatization, it may really need it. Some shamans drum, dance, whistle, or do other interesting things to watch, but some just sit or lie down and are as exciting to watch as paint drying. Either way, the most interesting stuff is what is not visible to a camera.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Good point.

And, by the way, the term "shaman" really refers originally to a specific people's medicine practices, and blimey if I am not forgetting just who!!!!! Er, reindeer and the frozen North....... Anyway, the female form of the word "shaman" is "shamanka."

I always liked that , kinda classy sounding. ;-)

Edit : I remembered, it is of Siberian origin. Whew!

This message was edited Feb 2, 2009 5:49 PM

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

There are shamanic traditions all over the world.

Never heard of the feminine name for it, that is fun.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Right , of course, there are, but the term is from Siberia; the practices are similar though. ;-) Most of those folks did not call their medicine people "shaman" is all I meant........

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Oh, definitely you are right on that one, Kyla.

Santa Fe, NM

Thanks for the new thread, Paja! Mulch, you made me laugh, " as exciting as paint drying ". That's a good expression. My D.H. is busy doing shamanic stuff in the kitchen. Braised beef and winter vegetables in a coconut curry sauce. For tomorrow. Kitchen magic! We've been rather heavy on winter vegetables lately, it being winter and all. I love them, tho. Celery root, parsnips,turnips, winter squash, rutabaga...diced and baked with olive oil and butter, salt and pepper. Alice Waters. The curry recipe is from "Braise" by Daniel Boulud.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, yum. Definitely shamanic level cooking! The best medicine of all. ;-)

My intentions of a productive day were thwarted badly. Spilled coffee, misunderstood directions, missed appointment therefore, and canceled lunch date.

I am recovering though.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I had a day waiting for paint to dry. Actually it was gel medium on my painting. I decided to change some textures and it really slowed me down!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I just flipped with a feets-asleep moment so having a clutsy day. I have many many shaman stories from the aboriginal people I worked with/shared with in the Arctic and BC. Oh ya definitely matriarchal societies and female shamans. One of the most amazing things I participated in was a new 90s recognition of just that but now called 'Wise Women'. I became fascinated with it because of their use of herbs in combination with their 'sight' and 'sense'.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Possibly our clutzy days mean we are straddling dimensional borders but didn't r ealize it quick enough. ;-)

Dahlia, I bet you have wonderful stories! That sounds very rich.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Yes, tell us more...

Santa Fe, NM

Please do. One of my favorite films is "Attanarjuat - the Fast Runner". It may be the first film made by an Inuit . ( My spelling is probably wrong, by the way.) It has to do with old customs and battles which ... Well, it would spoil the movie if I told everything. It is a very strange culture to me and the film is gorgeous, intense, frightening and has a surprise ending. I don't know if you could get it from Netflix but I think you could from Facets. Tell more, Dahlia.

Santa Fe, NM

" Atanarjuat " has one "t". The film is based on a story handed down by oral traditions and it is full of shamanic goings on. Just googled Inuit film makers and there are several. This particular movie is Inuit written, cast, etc. 2001.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

DH and I rented The Fast Runner at the local movie store, as I recall. It was surprisingly good -- not just because it was inuit either. Rituals were very interesting. When we were in Thailand a Hmong village leader did a welcoming ritual for us. Our tour guide said she had quit taking foreigners to see the healing rituals because animal blood was used and an American woman freaked out and left, thus damaging the ritual. Too bad, I would have like to see it. She did make sure we met up with several tribes in Thailand. It was fascinating. The welcoming ceremony involved a string tied like a bracelet around the wrist of each guest. Some chicken soup and a drink of their homemade leechee liquor and a lot of speeches. It was fascinating.

Santa Fe, NM

I read a book about the Hmong immigrants in California. It was something like, " The Spirit Grabs You and Then You Fall Down ". It was about a little girl with epilepsy and how the western medical community and the Hmong community came together, or didn't, for the child's treatment. I liked the writing. Written by a woman journalist, true story. You would like it. Glad someone else saw The Fast Runner. I just love that film. Glad it is being widely distributed.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I don't know if The Fast Runner is being widely distributed, but it got rave reviews so I made a point of seeing it. DH was dubious but decided to watch it at the same time. We both really loved it.

'scuse me:
Just in case you havenít seen it Dave is asking for DG subscribers to take an anonymous DG survey. You could win a yearís subscription to DG. To enter when you take the survey enter your email address. Answers to the questions wonít be matched up with email addresses. Read about it here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/948958/

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I took it. There were a couple questions I did not answer cause my choice was not listed....... that seemed okay as my survey was accepted. ;-) Thanks, Angele.......

well... just call me the bureau of misinformation. The very first sentence says: "subscribers and non-subscribers" I tell ya I wish I was right more often :-)
"Feel free to skip any questions that you aren't comfortable with answering." heehee I cut & pasted that one so no mistake

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I did not see that! But I did see at the end there was one question I chose not to answer and I got one of those red letter messages telling me it was required -- it was the one about other interests besides gardening, actually. Oddly enough. So, I just put what was closest, no biggie.....

Hey, being right is not all it's cracked up to be, it kind of locks you in to a rigor which us wrongs do not have to experience, there is a whole lot more room in wrongville! hahaha

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I had to that on an ad question. I fibbed so I disqualified myself from winning so there will not be a shift in the matrix. I did post about it though so Dave and Admin will no that there should be another alternative to that question if they run the poll again.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I just saw your post, D. I did the same thing, actually, but no worries, I figure these things have to be designed with a lot of slop in them if they want me to take them in the first place. Truly, most surveys have questions that I do not fit into, so I am used to fudging and saying "close enough."

Santa Fe, NM

I read somewhere that it is politically correct to lie on surveys. Especially about things like potato chips! Now, I don't know where I got that. I took the survey and there was one particular thing I lied about which was that I actually did mail order a couple of plants on the recommendation of D.G. members. I said I wouldn't ever do that. The reason why I lied is because I don't want our DG over-run by advertisements. Plus, high desert gardening is so different from other places that many plants just will not grow here. Why should they? So, there are many, many seed catalogs and nurseries that are a complete waste of time. That's my opinionated opinion!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I generally don't take surveys unless I really have strong opinions on the subject. I did take the DG one and didn't lie, but did skip certain questions. I don't remember what I said about advertisments but did indicate that I wasn't dying for any -- perhaps in an other box.
I suspect DG, having been recently bought out, is under pressure to improve the bottom line -- which is what corporations do. They are probably trying to figure out how to do that without killing the Goose which laid the Golden Egg. DG is a huge success and they would like to capitalize on that. I really hope that doesn't mean we have adds popping up every time we log on -- as the NY Times has now resorted to doing.
I really use mail order nurseries a lot because even the big nurseries in Santa Fe don't have everything I want -- right now Korean Daikon radish is on my must have list. I don't expect to find seeds for that here in New Mexico!
But Google does just about everything I want with regard to finding plants. I just do a google search and find 76,000 entries just for Korean Daikon radish seed. I don't think Dave's could equal that. That's why Google is also the Goose which laid the golden egg.
I want DG to stay the same, but of course that is not possible for anything. Sigh.

Santa Fe, NM

Oh that's interesting. I didn't realize D.G. had sold recently. Hmmm. Well, I guess we will see.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

It sold again?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, though on t hat survey I said something about not buying stuff except seeds, I did just now buy some of that cocoa coir . I have to have something and though I know it seems excessive to some I simply will not use those potting mixes that have plant food in them. And this time of year it seems that is all I can get here as the garden centers are closed for the season! And what I bought last fall is gonna run out on me soon here....... gotta have something.

Have an appointment with one garden center owner -- they say they are open but since bad economy had to let all th eir employees go, so it is by appointment, I said all I want is potting mix, but he said okay, so....... but I have no idea what there will be.

Gosh, these stores (hardware) have everything, they have tools and seeds and containers and every kind of fertilizer and herbicide you could ever in your darkest dreams desire, but no plain old potting mix.

To me this is .......... hard to accept with a peaceful heart.

And to be reduced to ordering growing medium in mail order! I ask you!

*sigh*

Well, the price did not look too bad and I do feel it is good stuff so will be glad to have it, but still. But still.......

AND, editing to say, I am durn glad to have a source of something, so I am focusing on gratitude. ;-)

This message was edited Feb 4, 2009 1:37 PM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, living out in the tooleys brings some hardships as well as advantages.

Mulch, they haven't sold again that I am aware of. I am aware of the sale about a year ago after which they raised the subscription fee. We all were relieved that that was all that happened, but I hate to sound cantankerous, but corporations just can't quit squeezing to get every last nickle. It is unfortunate, but that is the function of a corporation -- to make as much money as possible for its shareholders. Written write into their charters, unless they are non-profits. I know I am cynical, but then, I have been around for a while. .

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Paj,
You are completely accurate in your cynicism, I just thought there had been a more recent sale that I had missed. Glad to hear not.

Santa Fe, NM

I agree. Anyway, I tried to find a rock polisher at Michael's craft store but to no avail. I was there for a long time and the only person I saw who worked there was on the register. Another employee, literally, glared and ran when she saw me coming! So, I guess I will try Hobby Lobby some other day. One big box at a time. I heard that retail stores here are cutting back on employees. A friend who works at the local food co-op told me that they have been told that it is all about " the bottom line " and they will be cutting back on locally produced items with low price points. Nice for a co-op, huh? I'm ready for the farmer's market!

Santa Fe, NM

Oh. I had to add on here that our farmer's market is open! They just don't have much there due to winter.

Reno, NV

Roybird- Bummer you didn't find the polisher. Micheals employees are sometimes really cool and sometimes aweful. I went it to find liquid polymer one day. The lady I asked told me 1- it didn't exist. I assured her that I don't usualy work in imaginary medias:). 2- they never carried it. Au contraire! I bought it here a couple weeks ago. 3- it would be with the paint. That's when I walked off. Found it with the rest of the polyclay stuff just suck way back.

In collage my honey and I were in the same Anthropology class. We watched some documentary on the Inuit and he sleep talked(?) that night. Told me he'd give me the raw heart of a seal to prove his spiritual oneness with me. Laughed so hard I woke him up.:)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Now that's true love, duchessdreams.

Reno, NV

:) I'm a lucky woman for sure.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

" A friend who works at the local food co-op told me that they have been told that it is all about " the bottom line " and they will be cutting back on locally produced items with low price points."

Well that is a pretty weinerbrain business plan IMHO. People who are feeling the economic pinch will be attracted by the locally produced items which should be less expensive and probably do the rest of their shopping there because of the convenience. Good luck with that co-op! I compared our co-op with Safeway when we first moved to our neighbourhood and they were 30% more expensive for veggies and dairy.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Wienerbrain business plans do not survive very long. Well, unless they are being perpetrated by large corporate megabusiness entities subsidized by the World Bank and the IMF and those guys, but I suspect that even for them the wienerbrain approach to commerce is in its final throes.

Roybird that is so cool your farmers market is even open!

Duchess, wow, what a cool dream and story! Yow!

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

No one has ever wanted to give me the raw heart of a seal. There are so many experiences I have missed...

No fish in my hubcaps either.

I think I am actually ok with what my life has omitted, upon sober reflection...

Santa Fe, NM

No raw seal heart for me, thanks! But an interesting idea. Sounds pretty shamanic.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.