Rock Nuts, show off your treasures

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Since Dahlianut has us on the topic of rocks, I thought it would be fun to have a place to show off our favorites.

I'll start us off with a piece of rock with fossilized snail shells. My husband bought this for me when we were first dating.

Thumbnail by Katlian
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, wow, great start! And your fellow clearly has good sense too, and good taste. More ways than one. ;-)

no camera here. I may have to do something about that.......

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

This one doesn't look like much but it's a lava bomb from Steamboat Hotsprings. The rough side on the right is the original exterior and and smooth side on the left is where it broke open. These are formed when gooey lava explodes out of a vent and cools in the air. I think a lot of them shatter when they hit the ground because most of them are broken, but that allows you to see what the inside look like.

Thumbnail by Katlian
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is it for now. These are my rocks that emerged from the snow to cheer me on in my solstice dancing. Because of this they will probably now be 3 of my fav rocks. They look very ordinary in this pic but they have luvly seams and have prettiful colours. These rocks are from Golden, BC.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Wait! I forgot about my big Rock from this summer!

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

He hung out here for awhile....

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Santa Fe, NM

Those are excellent rocks! I must take rock pic's tomorrow. Rock on!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

But won't fit in no how/no way so it became a step down rock off the new deck .....

This message was edited Feb 2, 2009 7:25 PM

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

That is a fabulous rock, it must be awfully heavy. Sometimes I wish I had an anti gravity device that would pick up the rocks and put them wherever I want. Oh wait I already have one.

Thumbnail by Katlian
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Katlian those ARE incredible rocks! I don't have any that are that fabby. Mine are just more stripey and colourful rocks but I luv them ^_^

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It took 2 guys to move it in and out of the truck. Imagine when I said "Oops it won't fit at the end of the greenhouse path like I thought" after the fact :O. Good thing my DH is used to me. 2 guys moving again to make it into the step down.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

When we bought this house, DH just couldn't part with the six tons of sandstone and quartzite that he had purchased for the gardens at the other house. So we spent two days hauling rocks from one house to the other (it was only a mile). He's glad we brought them because the people who bought the old house put gravel and silly plastic decorations in the garden beds. At least they haven't cut down the trees he planted.

Here's the barren back yard with most of our rocks.

Thumbnail by Katlian
Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Oops, that was the almost finished picture. Here's what we started with.

Thumbnail by Katlian
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

WOW you've both done a wonder job! Big rocks too!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Very nice. Nice looking tomatoes, too. ;-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O sigh I would kill for a fresh tomato at the moment.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Oh, I LOVE this thread. Tomorrow I'll show you my shatter cone.

Santa Fe, NM

Hey, I tend to forget but we have a rock wall. See it behind the wood pile? It came with the house. Barrio Vernacular architecture.

Thumbnail by roybird
Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

That's an interesting mix of rocks, probably all local origin too.

Here's a cool rock I found up near Pyramid Lake last summer. The white balls are quartz crystals that fill the pores in the rock.

Thumbnail by Katlian
Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Here's my shatter cone. It has experienced some pretty intense vibes.
"Shatter cones are rare geological features that are only known to form in the bedrock beneath meteorite impact craters or underground nuclear explosions. [...] Geologists have various theories of what causes shatter cones to form, including compression by the wave as it passes through the rock or tension as the rocks rebound after the pressure subsides. The result is large and small branching fractures throughout the rocks."
-- Julie

Thumbnail by picante
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Julie, it's beautiful! Wow!~

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Wow Julie, that's a very cool rock with an amazing history. Do you know where it came from?

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Julie that is a very cool rock. Kaitlan this is a great thread and if you do not mind I will post some pictures when I get home of some of my rocks. I love them almost as much as my plants. I will spend a whole day collecting rocks and I never seem to have enough.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2009 12:43 PM

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Marie we would all love to see your rocks I feel quite certain! I am looking forward to much more here......

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Here's a western fence lizard blending in with a chunk of vesicular basalt at an old stagecoach station. The station is right at the toe of a big lava flow from Aurora Crater. If you search for Fletcher NV in Google Earth you can see the whole crater, it's rather impressive.

Thumbnail by Katlian
Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Wow, talk about blending in! Did he/she pose for this picture?

Here is one with some beautiful dendrites. This one's from Wolf Creek Pass near Helena. (My new camera takes fabby close-ups, n'est-ce pas?)

I don't remember where I picked up the shatter cone. Most likely somewhere in the Yellowstone ecosystem (not the park, obviously). My geologist stepdad was the one who identified it.

Thumbnail by picante
Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I love the dendrites!

Here is the one DH took to the show in Arizona, not knowing it was my favorite on the walking path.

Thumbnail by mulchmania
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Ok I am thinking mine are not as cool as what you all are showing but some are interesting looking.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, fooey, bet they are too. ;-)

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I love to find rocks with holes in them. Here is my favorite.

Thumbnail by Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

This one does not look huge but it is a decent size one. I had my brother, nephew and son grab it out the side of a hill. ( Hershey would not move so I could get a great picture)

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Not sure what is on this one but this has some kind of crystals or something like that on the outside

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Geode with a small hole

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

This is just to give you a samll idea how much I love rocks. Excuse the frost bitten crinum.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Those are scrumptious photos...... I love the one with Hershey on, he just wanted to meet us I reckon. ;-) I am envious of all these lovely pieces. What is the one in the "group" photo, the last post, in the lower left foreground, that seems to have thin stripes on it? Very handsome!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

These are great rocks, Marie! Rocks with holes, that's a whole new category I haven't explored.

My stepdad was moving once, and his buddy came over to help load up boxes. After a couple of the heavier boxes, he says "Crap, what have you got in here, Al -- ROCKS?" -- "Well," answers my stepdad, " I AM a geologist."

Santa Fe, NM

I love seeing the rocks. The shatter cone is really interesting. Marie, your rocks look very comfortable in your garden! I think our wall is probably made from rocks they found in the yard when they built the house and others from the area. Here are some local rocks sitting around in the back yard.

Thumbnail by roybird
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I kind of wonder what they're saying to each other , when I see a picture like that.

Santa Fe, NM

They are wishing for warmer weather. They like to go around my "water feature" or in it. They wonder when they will be wet and hearing running water again. That's what they told me.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Ah. Today driving home from a tr ip to town and seeing how much snow has already melted off the mountains, and how brown the trees look, I was wishing most heartily for a couple of good snow storms more, before spring......

I love how rocks look so dressed up when they are wet. Like they put on their party clothes. ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.