Dahlia help!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Okay, you knew it was coming... I need help with dahlias. I know nothing! I was thinking about ordering from Dutch Gardens, but I can't decide what to order, and before I do I need any advice you all can give me! (I'm leaning toward the dinner plate dahlia collection...). Thanks in advance...

http://www.dutchgardens.com/Dahlias/21094,default,sc.html?psortb1=WebRank

Brenda

Thumbnail by bsavage
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I know nothing but will read with interest! Settling in for a good lurk........

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Before you order anything from Dutch Gardens, check them out on The Garden Watchdog:

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/120/

This may not be the best source of Dahlias available.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

When you can't make up your mind between options, go with 1 of each.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That's how I settle all matters regarding flowers and food!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL! But then there's the budget thing. I've gotten roses from Dutch Gardens that were fantastic... I didn't put my rating on Garden Watchdog, but I've had good luck (read: good plants) so far....

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Then by all means make an entry on Garden Watchdog. I notice they have some negatives. It would help people to know they have given you good products.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

There are many, many excellent dahlia suppliers. If you browse by Plants: Dahlias in Watchdog you will find the ones that are recommended. A dinner plate collection is a luvly way to start your collection but make sure you have lots of space as they are usually 5-6 feet. You might also try some border dahlias for fun. Because they are shorter they bloom much earlier. Only 19 more sleeps til the 'Wakening of the Dahlias Festival'. I'm so excited I can't stand it ^_^

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

What is the 'Wakening of the Dahlias Festival'? Sounds like fun... Thanks for the advice and info. I will check out plant files as well.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It is my celebration when I bring the dahlias out of cold storage and pot them up thus commencing dahlia season. It involves the 'Parade around the Herb Garden', the 'Feast' and the 'Gifting of the Tubers'. Naturally it involves many refreshing beverages too ^_^

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Sounds like a great event. If only I could be there! Do take pictures.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes, please do.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

It does sound like fun! Is there a particular date that this celebration occurs each year?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I celebrate the first weekend in March because March 1st is the earliest there is enough natural light in my greenhouse for things to grow without becoming leggy. Many with indoor grow ops do not celebrate til April and others with longer growing seasons celebrate when they plant directly into the ground. It is floaty celebration that one should practise when it feels right.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Floaty celebrations are the best kind.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Dahlia, is there music? What do people wear?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O yes there is music and of course singing, well for me ALOT of singing ^_^ People dress according to their local dahlia customs. Of course for me, my screaming orange sweater is mandatory for the outside events. Inside I usually conduct the potting ritual in my red satin pjs. The 'Gifting of the Tubers' is hit and miss for costumes because people just pop in and out for that ceremony. Oh sigh I so can't wait.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Sweeeeet! I look forward to creating my own Dahlia ceremony!

Santa Fe, NM

Hi, lurking in. I checked my tubers the other day and was sad to see Zingaro had rotted! But, Park Princess looked O.K. Dahlias are something I might need to buy online because our garden centers here seem kind of stingy in the dahlia department.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O no not your Zinagaro :( But according to the Big List Dahlia Locator 3 suppliers have Zingaro http://www.dahlias.net/dbiglist.htm

Santa Fe, NM

I wonder if I will be able to get them here later on? I can ask at the nursery. Thanks for linking up the Big List!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

The nurseries here have nothing right now -- at least Santa Fe Green Houses and Payne's. I went today to get a couple of her plants because I succeeded in killing my indoor rosemary and my outdoor thyme ( the stuccoers helped with the outdoor thyme.) I was able to get those two herbs but was in both nurseries and they didn't have anything. I have never seen such bare shelves. But they did say they would be getting things in soon.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It's early for stuff here too, including the tender bulbous things. But WHOO WHOO they will start to show up by the end of the month. Funny how those bulbous things just seem to follow me home ^_^ Paj bummer about the thymus. I forget; do you have "Bressingham"? It's my fav. I will collect some seed this summer if you or anyone else wants this one. I have rosemary issues :( It is one of my fav herbs to cook with so it really ticks me off that I can't winter it over. I'm going to treat it as an annual now and just buy a big one and repace it every year. Note: I don't have enough sunny windows to bring it inside for the winter.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Dahlia, thanks for the offer of thymus Bressingham seeds. I will happily accept them. Do you use it for cooking of for ornamental. Actually I can use either.
They thyme died from the "tender" ministrations of the stucco crew this last fall -- they broke its pot and I never did get it repotted before winter ( I was bad, bad, bad.) It was a plant I had had in a big pot on the South side of my house for years. I got a new one the other day but it is small. It will be a while before it is huge.
I have learned that rosemary "Arp" and "Madeline Hill" will both winter over here in this area. I am going to plant these near the thyme on the south side of my house in the ground. I have had pretty good luck wintering rosemary over indoors because I keep it in a west facing window next to my jade tree. The one pitfall is water. Rosemary looks like a desert plant but it needs a lot more water than I often remember to give it. This plant was from Christmas 2007 and made it a record-setting year in my care. Basically, I am going to try outdoor rosemary now that I know the varieties that will survive here. But believe me, I am not sure they would make it in the cold northland where you live.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Even in Albuquerque you have to buy the right variety. No Home Depot bought Rosemary. We have a little bit of a buffer, but you can still kill one if you don't treat it right. The 'Arp' & 'Tuscan Blue' varieties I know are rated at zone 6. You're doing well to keep them outside Pajarito.

When I was in an apartment a few years back, I kept a Rosemary in a pot. I took it in and out over the Winter depending on the weather. It lived a number of years that way. I love the smell and the hundreds of lavendar purple flowers in the Spring. Mmmm. I'd put sprigs in my car or on a shelf at work so I could smell it.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Bressingham is favorite because it has prettiful flowers, smells incredible and is yummy to eat. It is the PERFECT thyme IMHO. Reminds me I need a new lemon thyme. I accidently killed it :( Can I go to the Richter's website without buying tons? Probably not.

Santa Fe, NM

The thyme I have winters over outside, but I did lose some last winter. Don't know yet about this one. Lemon thyme in back fared better. The rosemary in a pot goes in and out of the garage all winter. It is out today. I should water it, now that you mention it.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

There is a really large fragrant rosemary bush outside the restaurant Pranzo in Santa Fe. It is planted against a south facing wall and appears to have been there a really long time. I am hoping I will do as well. If not, i will go back to the rosemary Christmas tree for indoors next winter. Maybe if I plant it on the south side and mulch it well, I will be able to keep it outside.
Once you have learned to cook with fresh herbs it is nearly impossible to go back to dried!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh where oh where do I find t hose varieties of rosemary that winter over???? I am seeding thyme and sage cause I figured they could take it but was not even gonna try rosemary, but now...... Are there prostrate types that winter , do you think? That trailing thing I just love..... had lovely huge ones before I moved.....

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I'd love to know where to get the hardy ones as well... I had beautiful huge rosemary irene in AZ... but that will never overwinter here.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I bought Rosemary "Arp" locally and the same with "Madeline Hill". I did a google search and found Rosemary "Arp" at the nursery below. Mind you, I have never delt with this business, but many others came up in the Google search. It does tell you where it got its name.

http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/rosoffarp.htm

Here is the DG page on rosemary "Arp" .
Sounds like you are right, dparsons, you are lucky if it will grow here. Yet I do know people who have been able to overwinter it outdoors. I just have to try. DG lists several vendors of Rosemary 'Arp'.

Here is the DG page on rosemary "Madaleine Hill" which is named after the lady who developed Rosemary 'Arp'. This one is supposed to grow in zones 6a and 6b. I have my fingers crossed that the south side of my house is 6a.

http://davesgarden.com/products/ps/go/81695/

English Thyme, as well as many others, have grown rather well for me over the years, but I have to take care of them. I put rocks -- small pebbles -- on the surface of the soil around them because I read somewhere that they like that. I don't actually know why, but they have always grown nicely for me.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

bsavage, there is one grow listed in DG's plant file for "Rosemary Madeline Hill."

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Thank you!

Brenda

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, thanks..... I may try this later on, the rosemary.....

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I have ordered from mountain valley growers. They were excellent. They used a quality packaging system - no newspaper and packing tape retro jobs.

The zone info in PF on the Rosemary officinalis 'Arp' and 'Tuscan Blue' is possibly not correct. They are rated to zone 6 elsewhere and were at the local Nursery where I got mine. I noted the 'Fota Blue was rated to zone 5. Sometimes I wonder how much the rating depends on who grew the plant, the type of dirt, how they watered it, etc.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes, plus which, isn't the zone system only about (likely statistical) freeze dates? And nothing about other aspects of climate..... I think it is a rough guideline only.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I wonder about some of the zone ratings in PF too.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

The zone is about annual minimum freeze temperatures. It is one piece of information and is useful. The other items such as sun exposure, water requirements, etc. are also important.

The thing about the PF info is there doesn't seem to be any verification from the DG people. Any member can enter a plant and I'm sure some do a better job than others. Most entries seem pretty good. I tried hitting the "report an error" button on one page and it was related to web page errors. I've seen zone ratings on DG that look like the person entered their personal zone because the plant grows there, and not the zone range for the plant. I double-check when in doubt.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Aha. That explains a few things.

Reno, NV

I picked up lemmon thyme (at least that was the label) last year on a whim. Love it. One of the plants looks like it may have died all the way but the rest are beutiful. Sending out runners and layering themselfs. Last summer the leaves were a bright varigated green. Right now they're kind of red purpely.
I killed a rosemary last year, fogot to bring it in. But other than that they haven't been too hard to over winter for me. I just leave the pot where it gets some sun and don't pick from the plant in the winter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.