Let's See Your ARBORS and TRELLISES! Part 2

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful trellises. The Asian Jasmine is spectacular and the trellis in the rectangular planter will be great when filled out.
Tha silver lace vine needs no expletives but ,"its fluffy"

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

thanks everyone, from me and my darling hubby. That wall was so harsh and it is a high traffic area in my subdivision. I used the jasmine 'cause I wanted green year round but also considered growing a flowering something for some color. However, that would make it harder to trim and since I have color nearby we opted for just the jasmine.

That has got to be the BIGGEST silver lace vine I've ever seen.

We are working on still another trellis thing. Tentatively, we will use PVC to make a round structure. The PVC is too stiff and flexible stuff is not weather resistant enough. Husband still thinking about this one, but we will have one.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Great trellis' Nery, very impressive!

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

My favorite trellis making material is a cattle panel. It is heavy duty enough to support just about any type of vine when bent but light enough for one person to carry around and put up and take down if needed pretty easily. There is a good pic of one at the top of the thread here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/539641/

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

That's a beautiful photo. I'll have to find a place to try it out. What holds it in the ground?

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

What I did was bend quarter pieces of rebar into a candy can shape, hooked it onto the bottom edge of the cattle panel and pushed into the soil. Used about three per side. You cannot see the rebar and it comes right out of the ground if you decide to move the trellis. Had to have DH cut the rebar but was able to bend it myself (and I am not really that strong).

how long a piece before you bent into candy cane shape, and how many pieces?

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

It has been a while but I would say about 24 to 30 inches long before bending and I probably used about three pieces for each side.

Thanks. I guess you pounded them in with a mallet of some sort.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I watered the ground a few hours before to make it soft. Then I just tapped a little with a mallet to get them started and stepped on them to push them in the rest of the way.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

I will be on the hunt for some cattle panel and I want to make an arbor, I was already checking sources just yesterday.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am truely amazed. Thats a great idea.
Did you use some sort of vice to bend the rebar?
I love thet stuff. I use straight pieces to support trallises.
I pound it in next to the trellis leg and then use cableties to attach the trellis no bending, but I can definatly see where both systems would work.

also wondering if it would make it stronger to shape the rebar like a "U" rather than candy cane. tetley, is it windy in your area? somehow I can't imagine the arbor being steady with the candy cane or "U" bars, if it got over 20 mph. Unless the vine helps by weighing the structure down.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

You can shape it like a "U" if you want to. Just depends on individual taste. :^)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Fantastic idea ttuna

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Just starting an arbor/bed, It's on a slight incline, So the arbor is at the top and the Step/Beds will be going downhill to the patio, I planted one Evergreen Clematis on one side allready and will be putting the other one in probably this weekend ( They are ármand' clematis) Still have to put some wire on the top of the arbor so that the vines can catch on good once they start growing. I stained the wood a dark brown Please excuse the backgroung, Just moved here not even 3 years ago and have to make all new improvements on the yard..But, I'm getting there...This is was taken ( The beginning) Feb 17th..

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Feb 19th ..Just got all of the grass out from inside the arbor and dug the hole for the other vine

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Feb 20th ..Just got the rest of the grass out coming downhill, Now I need to stain the wood and start putting the boards in coming downhill, The boards will go go straight across from one side of the arbor to the other all the way downhill, I plan on making beds out of them on both sides of the steps going up and having a walkway to walk up in the center of each step. The beds that you see part of to the right of the arbor are Daylily beds and there are 8 of them so far. ..

Thumbnail by IRIS
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That space is so wonderful.
I love a blank canvas. Keep us posted as to progress.
This is a nice start

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

IRIS, I like that, it's going to be a great area. Yes, please keep us posted as the project comes along. Very nice.

Tiffin, OH(Zone 6a)

The silver lace vine grew like crazy (while it lasted) I think it only took about 2 years to get to that "fluffy" stage.
I just wish I knew what killed it - I'd really like to replace the porcelain berry vine with another silver lace!
As I said my best guess is Ohio weather- neither my friend nor I-both Master Gardeners- could find any sign of pest or disease to account for the sudden, complete death of such a well established plant.

The trellis itsself (the original subject of this thread) is of 4x4 posts with a 2x4 top frame and lattice inserts in about a 4 footx8 foot size. It is positioned over a paved area with a wooden swing hung underneath. It makes a nice shady spot to sit by the vegetable garden.
I have a similar one my husband constructed to disguise/ protect an unusual area in our yard.
We have a small "sunken patio" allowing outside walk-out access to our basement. The side wall of this patio only extended up about two feet and I was concerned that someone would tumble over the wall and into the patio so we built a very sturdy 4x4 trellis (with a slanted top rather than horizontal). It has two short legs which stand on the ground outside the low wall and two longer legs which stand in the patio. The top slants toward the short side and creates a slanted "roof" over part of the sunny patio (I have a bench under there where I sit to pot plants etc.). I have a wisteria which I trained to a modified tree form growing up just outside the low wall and vining out over this trellis. We need every bit of the strength of those 4x4 legs to hold this aggressive grower! I even climb up on it to stand and prune the wisteria to keep it from latching onto the sidewall of my house!! This trellis doesn't have the lattice inserts since the wisteria is such a heavy plant-just 2x4 cross pieces.

Thank you all for your kind words!! MW

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

MW, Moles??? I had a nice Kousa Dogwood about 5 ft tall that I had grown from a small seedling. It was doing just fine and then started to dye. I took pics, branches and leaves to the Extension Office and they couldn't find anything either. Then in a DG discussion about Voles, Moles and other burrowers. Plus that I knew I had some brought me to the conclusion that they may had been my issue. Up until then I knew they would eat my bulbs and some of my perennials but didn't realize that they would/could damage something as large as big shrubs and small trees.

Tiffin, OH(Zone 6a)

HollyAnnS, Good thought, but I dug up the rootball while replacing the vine and it didn't look damaged or diseased-just dead!! I couldn't find any particular issue the Silver Lace vine has with disease or pest but I know from sad experience that Ohio weather is tough on a lot of plants! I don't coddle my plants either- I dig a few (Canna, Dahlia) overwinter a few inside(pond tropicals, rosemary, lemon tree) and everyone else needs to get tough or die!! If I were a more cautious gardener more might survive but I find it easier to work pretty much within nature's boundaries- I know I'll never have some of the more tender beauties in my yard but ....where would I put them anyway!?!?

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I just noticed that today is IRIS's birthday !

Happy Birthday, IRIS !
People should be giving you lots of good plants for your new project !

Happy birthday, Iris!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Happy birthday Iris!

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Wow, that came out huge when you click on it, and I've posted it before, and it never did. Wonder what's going on.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Happy Birthday Iris!
Here's a little birdie singing to you:

Happy birthday to you
While I'm perched on a shoe
Happy birthday dear Iris
Happy birthday to you

Thumbnail by venu209

Yes, it's huge but it is SO GORGEOUS, Polly!

The person who makes the hibiscus flowers was having problems posting photos today as well.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Pirl,

Recognize the purple blue flowers in the back?

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I wanna know what the white ones are ! LOL

The blue are delphinium, right?

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

They look like Hyacinthoides hispanica

Pirl...what you doing up so late ?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Good job JD, and Pirl should have guessed that. She is up late, and probably tired, LOL. (I just say she should have guessed as she sent them to me). But I bet she has delphs on the brain, thinking spring.

The white flower is spirea.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Happy birthday IRIS

Thumbnail by ge1836

Well I've been up, out to give the birds water and what have JD and Polly been up to this morning?

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, I'm still up. A steady downpour is giving the birds much more water than they need, so I think I'll call it a night and go to bed.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm just waiting for the family to arrive.

At 10 AM I'm heading to the garage to resume cleaning. Such excitement! Be still my heart.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

We know how you are with the raggs and clorox Pirl.
Doesnt take an extravaganza to amuse you.lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.