Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Some have already sported>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Some look like they are sporting, but, can't be sure yet>

Stockholm, Sweden

Thank you Dale! Great coleus photos, does this plant have a name?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Alice,

The first 'stock' plant is probably Cracklin Rosie? I bought those retail and they are not labeled, the 2nd and 3rd I have not grown before.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

I'll take one of each please . . . LOL

I'm ready to play but local nurseries are not as far as coleus are concerned. I scheduled my RD order for their first shipment date and I have a trip to Houston to plant shop on the 28th of this month. We shall see if the big city has coleus that early.

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

Hey Dale,

Would you be interested in trialing some coleus in florida for me? I had some seedlings that came up last year, and would like to see how 2 of them grow down there. They've overwintered well and seem to be stable in form.

Do i need to twist your arm Dale? haha,

joy

Stockholm, Sweden

Joy, you funny you!

Wanna see how they grow in Sweden also????
hahahah

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

hehe alice of course you are trialing them...

joy

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

dale-

re: games

can i play?

Stockholm, Sweden

Yeeees Joy, show your coleus photos to us!!!!!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Joy,

Let me think for a nanosecond about trailing coleus.....OK!

This is a game anyone can play, after all we are all democrats here in the US.
-------------------------------
Patty,

It has been a long time since I have been plant shopping in TX, but, I am sure that Houston is a good bet.

Red Form of India Frills>

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Dale what is that purple coleus in the first picture? I don't think I've ever seen such vivid purple.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Lala,

That is Grape Expectations. It is only that color when the weather is cool, when summer heats up it changes to>

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Ahh, thank you. I have the 2nd version, LOL.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

sooo Pretty!
I have been a busy gal working and haven't gardened much but have some coleus that I did root very well in water and will be planting soon.

Phoenix is having a cold spell and almost got to freezing earlier in the week so everything is indoors. Pictures soon...I am off to work again!

Thumbnail by booplants
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I water rooted these.

Have more upstairs but will photograph them another time.

Thumbnail by booplants
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

This is from last summer...I babied it all winter and it is now outside and growing.

Thumbnail by booplants
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

ditto...babied all winter.
I won't fertilize until March...we are still cold here and our weather is unpredictible!

This message was edited Feb 14, 2009 3:44 PM

Thumbnail by booplants
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh I loved Grape Expectations. Bought it two years ago but couldn't find it last year. It was a pretty one.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Patty,
I am just starting up for the new season, but, I should have some later this year.

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

dale did you ever find coleus calligraphy?

it's like the holy grail of coleus...

joy

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Joy,

Never found Calligraphy.

I contacted Singing Springs in NC, they had it, but, refused to sell it to me. They told me they were 'wholesale only' and that it would be at a graden center near me soon. The creepy person I contacted there emailed me and said they had a 'big exclusive contract' with a 'national chain' and couldn't do business with me. No wonder that they went under with people like that working there.

The person I emailed refused to tell me who the 'big national chain' was or what their minimum wholesale was. Must be nice to be able to turn down business. Somebody there has too much wacky weed with their morning coffee before they get to work.

I wish I lived closer I would drive over there and talk with the owner. I have never seen it at a store, never seen any Singing Springs hybrids offered as liners and I have never seen any of us coleus collectors with it in their collections.

Another fine hybrid lost....but there are other hybrids available>

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Ugh - I can hardly wait for my Rosy Dawn shipment.

Or spring, for that matter.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

While you are all waiting for Spring and shipments...I wanted to share a blue hibiscus with you! I bought this at a garage sale for $2 for the pot. The plant was pitiful but upon arriving home and I planned to toss it....but then I thought, maybe this plant could be something special. With help from my Southwest Garden Forum buddies, I found out about it and began caring for it. AND IT WAS WORTH IT!!! Now recoverd, it is loaded with buds and these three were the first to bloom!

I would have called it a purple hibiscus...there is nothing blue about it.

Thumbnail by booplants
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

okay one with the three open blooms

Thumbnail by booplants
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow that's a pretty colored hibiscus. You don't see that color too often.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Patty, it is not really a hibiscus it is Alyogyne huegelii, it is from Australia. It will not grow in a humid climate very well. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31420/

To grow a really beautiful, dense or lush plant you need to be in CA.

Haines>

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

NO thanks; no desire to live in CA despite the great plant growing conditions. Will just admire things from afar.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I like living in CA, but, there are so many problems there that I could not ignore. Things like - you can't grow coleus.....

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

My zone is 9a or 9b and supposedly it's not the ideal consition for the blue hibiscus but coleus isn't supposed to grow well here out doors. I set up as ideal a condition as possible and make it work for them both!

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Check out this picture of coleus grown in a papasan chair. You can't even see the chair.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6160156

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi
I'm up here is N.CA and I treat coleus like annuals. No matter how hard I try I can't seem to get them to survive the winter, but they grow like mad in the summer and fall. The first hint of frost and they melt. I just ordered a bunch on the coleus coop. Cant wait.
All of your pictures are beautiful.
Linda

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

WOW!!!! And what zone was that in?

I do okay with coleus here under shade...but nothing like that!

We do grow plumerias here though!

Thumbnail by booplants
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Linda we are in almost the same zone but coleus in the FULL SUN here withers in the summer. Mine only get morning sun.

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

We get an occasional frost here and once in a blue moon a freeze. Maybe because are winters are wet and cold( usually its wet, not enough rain this year). I don't know but I don't know anyone who can overwinter them outside here. or plumerias either. I want to live in Florida!
Linda

I complain when it gets in the 30s. People always tell me I am so spoiled by our weather. Guess they are right. I live in S.F. east bay.

This message was edited Feb 19, 2009 9:36 AM

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Lucky YOU Linda! I love the bay area.....
Florida summers are too humid for me...although the women have prettier skin there than in dry-r-us Phoenix!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Linda,

If there was work for me in CA I would trade places....

Baton Rouge, LA

Curious - Why can't you grow coleus in CA?
I plan to plant my first 2 coleus this year. As soon as the nurseries sell me some. Need sun coleus to plant near sea grape and rosemary.
How are they with heat? not that great I imagine?

The "Blue" hibiscus....would love one but if they can't stand humidity...they can't stand me....

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.