Happy Seal Heart Day!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hope everyone has a wonderful Valentine's day ^_^

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh lovely. This is the perfect thread for my brag.

I just went out and shoveled about five car lengths of snow so I could go to the grocery store! I was not at all sure I could do it, either, and near gave out about three times, but then I said "you are so close, if you quit now it will all be wasted!" so kept going..... had to shovel enough space to back out and then all the way to the street........ It was a window of opportunity between two big snow dumps! The second snow dump has started just now, but. I am safely back with supplies to last another little while.

Timing is everything, in the store a woman was standing in perplexity at the dog food and asked my help in picking some to buy for someone who is apparently housebound and her dogs are hungry! Well, I knew more than she did, about dog food, which isn't much, but it was nice to meet someone doing an errand of mercy.

Then came home wanting to brag about my heroic snow shoveling and my cable internet was down. Oh NOOOO!

But now it is back. And there was a check in the mailbox too. And and and, all my little seedlings that had about a foot of snow on, it melted off enough for me to check their condition, they are all still doin great! YAY!

Not a bad Seal Heart Day, all in all.

How is anyone else's day going?

This message was edited Feb 14, 2009 2:28 PM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Finished an order for my shade garden and moving on to a dahlia order. It's snowful here too so I'm shopping ^_^

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh an excellent occupation of one's energies, whilst snowfulness snows...... is shopping. However I did discover that the mean old bank thinks I have less money than I want it to think, so having to avoid shopping for the now.

But. I am from now on calling it Seal Heart Day, I like that much better.

I saw you had Hostas, DN -- I have some unspecified hosta seeds and have felt they would probably be a failure here so have not sown them. No shade to speak of, for one thing.... What else is in your shade garden?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I am a very shady lady:
lungwort
bleeding hearts
ajuga
monkshood
oxalis
hosta
day lilys
asiatic lily
violas
heuchera
ligularia
ferns
jacob's ladder
fairy wings
solomons seal
clematis
lily of the valley
hops
jack-in-the-pulpit
vanilla leaf
lamium
nigella
dogwood
bugbane
primula
barberry (but I think I killed it sigh)
astilbe
cornis canadensis
moss/carpet phlox
euphorbia
cranesbill
and more stuff that I'm forgetting

and I add cedarsm begonia, lobelia, spiders and ivys every summer

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

o spring bulbs in shade, chinadoxa and squill

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I hope there will be pictures. Some of those I do not know. Bet it is gorgeous.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Someone on another forum was asking for pics of beds and I realized how lax I am at taking pics of whole beds instead of specific plants. My goal is to take full shots this year (no matter how crappy they look)

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Hey Kyla, we got about half an inch of your snow but it melted off by 9am. We went grocery shopping and DH offered to buy me a valentine orchid at Trader Joes but their normally diverse selection was not that impressive this week so asked if I could have it later when there was something more interesting available.

Dahlia, I'm jealous of your shade. Most of our comes from the house so far. We have four trees but three were planted in the last two years and the other one is a rather pathic red maple that was probably planted improperly and wasn't cared for by the previous owners.

I was excited to see tiny green shoots where my grapefruit seeds have been sitting for four weeks. I almost threw them away last week because I thought they had rotted. I know they won't grow true from seed and it will take forever to bloom but I am just growing them for houseplants. As if I didn't have enought houseplants already!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Sometimes I whine about my shade but I do luv my big trees. I hear you about tree care. Mine were never cared for so it cost me $$$$ to have an arborist save the 40 year old ash and mayday. I have a neighbour who is a meticulous gardener with her beds but she has a white birch that is barely limping along right in the middle of one bed. Why do people plunk trees in and then think they need no care? Grrrrrrrr! Grapefruit is my favorite citrus after lime. There is a lady here with a lemon tree. She puts it out on her front veranda every summer and we all drive by and oooooo.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

We forgot to give Kyla a big pat on the back of all of that heroic shovelling!

You are hereby absolved of all further aerobic exercise for the day, unless you want to of course.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey, Kat, I think there is more snow coming! Hope it makes it out your way -- I guess, as it is at least a form of water...... I am appreciating it for that factor. My shade too all comes from the building. I found myself wondering today about potted citrus...... I may go there, but not right yet, gotta get something basic going first.

Dahlia, when I worked as a gardener this one dear lady, who had just moved into a house with lovely garden beds already in place from previous owner, was given three pine seedlings and plunked them down in the middle of the best flower bed. I was able to explain to her why that was not a good idea...... but her excuse was she had never really done any gardening before, which it sounds like your neighbor maybe would be expected to know better.

Beautiful picture!

I don't do well with houseplants......

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

haha thank you my body has already absolved on its own, I doubt I could lift another shovel full anyway. ;-)

Santa Fe, NM

Congrats on the snow shoveling, Kyla! A quiet day here after last night's feasting. Went to chi gong and tai chi classes this morning. Had a fairly short walk later. Read the newspaper! D.H. was at the community college most of the day. He came home and gave me roses. I gave him chocolates. We're probably going to watch a video tonight. It is getting colder here today but no precip. at this point. However. I have a dark yellow crocus blooming! This picture is one I saw down town yesterday, but it is the same kind.

Thumbnail by roybird
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Crocus are so dear.

Katlian, didn't we talk about orchids a while ago somewhere? Are you an experienced orchid person or will this be your first?

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I have about 10 orchids of various types. I have managed to kill a few over the years but I have also learned what to avoid (Cymbidiums just don't fare well in this climate no matter what you do for them.) My most recent acquisition is a nun's cap orchid that I recieved in trade from a DGer in Florida. Of course they just grow in her yard with very little care, but I don't expect that to be the case here. Most of them are in an orchid nursery on my kitchen table right now where they can get a little morning sun and lots of moisture from the humidifier.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I am envisioning your kitchen table with all those orchids on it........ makes a very nice thought-picture. ;-) I once had a friend who found she had a touch for orchids and had several in a nice window ledge over her kitchen sink.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I'll take a picture in the morning when the light's better. I have a Paph that's got two flower buds on it but it will be a few weeks before they open.

For dessert tonight we ate the last two pieces of our wedding cake. Chocolate with raspberry filling (we picked the raspberries ourselves at a local farm.)

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Probably a lot tastier than a seal heart.

Santa Fe, NM

Good morning! I missed my class this a.m. and am having a quiet sunday for a change. Very pleasant. Katlian, bring on the orchid pic's!! I am very attracted to orchids but make myself stay away from them. It is just so cold and dry here. But, I love to look at them. There should be a seal heart orchid for those of us in the cold, north!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

There is a seal heart tomato ^_^

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

oops sorry crappy pic. This one is better

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Santa Fe, NM

What a difference! Sometimes I send a not-so-good photo by mistake because I can't tell enough from the thumbnail. Cute tomato.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

That's a great tomato Dahlia, it looks like a giant strawberry. You could have a new hybrid there ;)

Here are the orchids right now. Light's not that great because we're getting some of Kyla's snow right now. The big black tray is lined with pebbles and the humidifier is on the floor next to the table.

Thumbnail by Katlian
Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Here's what some of them look like in bloom. The only ones that look interesting when not blooming are the paphs because the leaves are sort or speckled with paler and darker greens.

Thumbnail by Katlian
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Kaitlan I got it at my Tomato Seedling Exchange. Very tasty.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The orange one is very cool. I like the irregular large polka dot spots. The one in the top right looks like it might be a man eater :O

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the pictures! Seal heart tomato, how wonderful. And pretty kitchen orchids.

And. Please please take my snow, take it all. Power kept going out all last night high winds kept me awake...... power back on just long enough this morning to make coffee but right when I got my oatmeal on the stove, off it goes again. No hot food no heat no internet. erg.

Back on now, so I am trying to get everything done in case it does not stay on. That path I shoveled? Ha!

I know its small potatoes compared to some recent outages but it was 12 thousand people, which I guess is a lot for here.

I am so glad to have a cup of hot tea! LOL! And many wool blankets. ;-)

Santa Fe, NM

OOh. Not good. Do you have a woodstove, Kyla? Try to stay warm. I will take some of your snow, ok? It is very dry here tho we are supposed to get snow tonight. I'm going to Albuquerque on the train with some friends tomorrow. We will have an 8 yr. old in tow, so probably a trip to the children's museum and maybe the art museum if all goes well.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Roybird. The snow started to melt down and that should continue -- even if a bit more falls, and the power has stayed on........ Everyone south of us is now getting big wetness! Hope some wafts your way too.

No woodstove, but I think I may be the only one around here who does not have one! Fortunately, so far, the power outages have not lasted long enough for it to be an issue......... heck, I even had a window of power between two outages the other day, just at the right time to make coffee. But one never knows, of course, how long they will last. I expect I will have to figure out how to make some provision for it, if I stay here. Maybe. LOL!

That sounds like a fun excursion, on the train...... I like trains.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Stay warm Kyla. Me too for trains. It's the best way to travel Europe methinks. You see there was a reason 'I've been working on the Railroad" was stuck in my head. It was because roybird was going to take a train trip ^_^

Santa Fe, NM

Me, too! Here are some flowers from Seal Heart Day. Glad your power is on.

Thumbnail by roybird
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Those are luvly roybird!!!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I guess it wasn't so bad that we spent part of our Seal Heart Day fixing a leaky drain under the kitchen sink. I felt bad because i'm the one who installed it in the first place.

All of our snow has melted almost as soon as it falls. We drove up into the Sierras today and even had to chain up there was so much snow. I guess we're in the snow shadow as well as the rain shadow.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Ah pretty flowers! Dahlia, I agree, that is exactly the reason you were thinking that song. ;-) Kat, wow. We need a better way to share the stuff maybe.

Santa Fe, NM

It is the Weather Transporter that Dahlia is perfecting. We Do need it. Of course, if all the weather was the same as every other place we wouldn't have much diversity. It could be used, tho, in special circumstances and not effect the balance of the planet. Or whatever.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Exactly. I mean, I do like some snow, just........... the right amounts at the right times, and all.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Does anyone else read Larry Niven? He has these transporters in some stories that can be set to transport complicated things like humans or filtered to only transport, say, water. So you put one in the ocean and one in your town water tank and run it 24/7 to supply water for all the houses. Unfortunately it means people could live anywhere because transporting supplies and people is no longer an issue. So you get houses in wilderness areas but they turn all the freeways into giant parks. My imagination tends to run wild with ideas like that.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Mine too. Especially all the freeways turned into giant parks.

I remember learning years ago that there were valleys in the Himalayas that had never been visited by humans because the terrain was just impossible...... it may no longer be true, actually, but when I read that it made me feel really good. Places untouched at all need to exist. Or, I think they do.

But, it wouldn't really matter if we could live everywhere, if we could do it with low enough impact, and that kind of filterable transporter could help a lot!

Then, sadly, my mind goes to all the potential political issues of such a situation and I find I am glad we don't have those after all, LOL!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Well, with the weather transporter we could always have snow on Christmas, which I think most of us would consider to be a good thing -- along with no rain on the Fourth of July.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.