Yellow Hippeastrum ID Help

Ewing, VA

This yellow flowered Hippeastrum opened it's flowers yesterday as cream yellow. Today it's petals became frilly and the yellow more pronounced.

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

The miniature flowers are 3 1/2 inches wide, all the petals are pointed and it has this green eye.

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

It is not a trumpet. More like "pixie like" as Veronica Read describes Supreme Garden's flowers.

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

It has this short style and stigma.

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

It produces runners with bulbils as well as bulblets just like IBS's description of Hippeastrum puniceum barbatum but the picture of Barbatum has rounded petal tips.

http://www.bulbsociety.org/GALLERY_OF_THE_WORLDS_BULBS/GRAPHICS/Hippeastrum/species/H_barbatum/barbatum.html

Ewing, VA

What is this? Help ID please.

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

It does resemble the Bulb Society pictures.There could easily be that much difference in seedlings.Will you share where you got it?

Ewing, VA

A gift from a friend. :-)

More pics...

The back view...

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

The running bulbils...

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

And with a Lemon

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

JT...I am in "AWE" looking at this flower. Finally I get to see a TRUE yellow hippie!!!

Ewing, VA

If this is a variant of H. puniceum barbados, which IBS info says easily crosses with diploids, can you imagine the possibilities this hippie can bring? Ahhhhh, 2009 season will be very exciting.

Mobile, AL

Oh! Oh! Oh! Maria!!!!

That is my favorite color of yellow and the idea of running bulbils give me goosebumps!

Whatever it is, I absolutely adore it!!!!

Thanks for sharing and do let us know if you find out for sure what it is and where we can get it.

Hugs!

Ann

Ewing, VA

Hi Ann! ((((hugs)))

Isn't this awesome???

The very first 10 seeds that I harvest from this yellow will be included in "100 Seeds for a Heifer".

YES!!!!

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

OooooHHH! Gorgeous!!! Very species-like in habit.

Could it be H. evansiae?

R.

Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

My assumption is H. evansiae, too.
Elsewhere, and on an earlier occasion I expressed my assumption that "Giraffe" be a hybrid of H. papilio with H.evansiae.
When I crossed "Pink Floyd" with Giraffe I obtained seedlings with very differently shaped and colored flowers, respectively, and among these was one with that bright color of H.evansiae and, additionally the segments had a hint of that red rim typical for H. papilio...

Thumbnail by haweha

(The red flowers are siblings out of the same grex)

... and I obtained another pink and greenish colored specimen which exhibited those extremely short style/filaments:

Thumbnail by haweha

I have observed the formation of them "running bulbils" too. Interestingly I discovered these, generally, between communities of seedlings' bulbs in 50 cm balcony boxes, and I found that this kind of bulb is formed by thickening of the tip of a superficial root. Of bulbs cultivated as singles I discovered H.cybister "Chico" to be a particularly diligent producer of a higher count of extremely tiny "running bulbils". Actually the first leaves of those gave me the apearance as if seedlings where emerging in the container - and for a certain time I would really be MUSING about the origin of THOSE *lol*

But, that stolone-born bulb shown below is an example for a stronger offset:

Thumbnail by haweha
Ewing, VA

Wow! Thanks for sharing your "babies" Haweha. The 2 flowers of the pictured H. evansiae has been pollinated after days of thinking of what pollen to use. I have decided not to take to much risk as it only has 2 flowers and I don't know when it will be flowering again.

Pollens used :

Papilio 10
Jungle Star I

At least this way, if the pollination is successful, the seedlings are almost guaranteed to be strong. As I said in another forum...What good will a "yellow flowered" hippeastrum be if it will be a weakling that will flourish for 2-3 years and then go downhill.

The good news is....This H. evansiae has put up a second scape which is now 2 " tall. The scape is smaller/thinner than the first one. Maybe I can use Striped Panther pollens on one of the flowers and try Evergreen on the other one.

Ewing, VA

Here are some possible results of H. evansiae crosses. These are all Komoriya hybrids.

Dreamy ( Papilio could have been used in this cross)

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

Miss Lemon

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

Piyo Piyo

Thumbnail by mariava7

At least the latter two hybrids carry an obvious parentage of H.evansiae, if they are not simply carefully selected, outstanding clones out of mass propagations of H.evanisae themselves. They are marvellous!

Ewing, VA

Lovely pictures aren't they?

Will Piyo-Piyo be as yellow as it's picture? I hope so....

Thumbnail by mariava7
Mobile, AL

Way to go, Maria!

I won't ask how you managed to obtain them because I'm sure I can't afford it.

Can't wait to see your photos of these exotic beauties!!!

Thanks for sharing...

Ann

Gulfport, FL(Zone 9b)

H. evansiae.

Thumbnail by gordo
Ewing, VA

Hi Gordo!

Now THAT is the H. evansiae that I have been seeing pics of. MY yellow hippie has very pointed petals and that definite star flower shape. The "lip" does not curl back and just points straight forward. It does look so similar to the pictured Piyo-Piyo's flowers with that "pixie like" shape.. I can't wait to compare their flowers. That Piyo-Piyo bulb has been planted last month and it is NOT doing anything. Maybe a little bottom heating would help wake it up.

Now Miss Lemon's picture is showing it's got Gordo's evansiae in it. Gordo...does your evansiae's top petal also "pinch" like Miss Lemon's? I still need to plant Miss Lemon. It has the same round shaped bulb like Piyo-Piyo.

Thumbnail by mariava7
Gulfport, FL(Zone 9b)

Now that I've had a look at the photo over at the bulb society, I see that the photo was taken by Kevin Preuss. Kevin is a horticulturist well known to me. In fact, I began my collection by visiting him a few years ago to get his advice on what I should buy. I spent over 300.00 dollars that day! Anyway, Kevin has a website where he sells a variety of bulbs. If anyone might be able to ID your bulb, it's him. I think he's still selling bulbs.
Here's his web address:

http://www.amaryllis-plus.com/

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Gordo thank you for that link!!!

Gulfport, FL(Zone 9b)

By the way...Kevin is a MAJOR griffinia collector! Sells them on his site. ;-)

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I saw that!!

Gulfport, FL(Zone 9b)

...I see orders for the itty biittys flowing into Kevin's mailbox...
He was doing cloning when it wasn't cool. I still have some of his griffs in a pot. They've reproduced nicely.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.