American Red Bud Tree

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5a)

A friend of mine recently sent me some American Red Bud Tree seeds. I am anxious to plant the seeds but am afraid that if I plant them now that the snow and cold that will be coming before too long here in Colorado would kill them. Can anyone help me out?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I think that your seeds need to go through a winter so that they will germinate. It's called stratification. The freeze /thaw situation is necessary to let the new tree emerge.
Plant them outside now.

We have lots of redbud trees,but not as many seedlings as you might think.I'd plant quite a few seeds and only expect 25% or so to germinate.

Thanks Melody, that was kind of what I thought but thought I would get someone elses opinion.

(Zone 9a)

Hi tinkerbell,
Here is a site with info on Redbud Tree seed germination:)
(scroll down the page)
http://www.ent.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/2000/8-11-2000/germtreeseed.html

Cool! Thanks for the information, it helped!

This has to one of the prettiest trees on earth. I wish you the very best in germinating one. They are so delightful in bloom.

Good luck Tink,one of my favorites' My old tree is near 40yr. She gives me new babies every spring,so I plant them all around our property' Only one thing,I need to tell you,is don't feed them until they are 3yrs. old' Other than that,just water and enjoy their beauty' Good luck,and keep us posted' Sis'

I've seen pictures of these trees but have never seen one in person that I know of. Can't wait to see it grow! I will definitely keep everyone posted. Thanks everyone! 'Tink'

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.