First signs of spring

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yesterday I saw my first flowers of spring, so I had to crow about them. My first flower of spring is almost always in February some time. This time it was in Santa Fe, but unfortunately I didn't bring my camera. Across the street from the theater, which is in a very old building, is a very quaint hotel and in its front flower bed was a small bush with tiny yellow flowers on it. I was amazed and thrilled. And it was a bush I have never seen before. I am going to have to research that one -- like a miniature forsythia.
Then as we drove along the Alameda downtown I saw Iris danforthia blooming in a flower bed in front of yet another hotel. Beautiful blue ones and there were hyacinths showing color but not yet in bloom.
At home, I saw the tips of some of the bulbs I planted last year sticking up through the mulch. Just about 1/2 inch.
It was a happy day for me. Spring **is** going to come.
Anybody else seeing signs of spring where you are?

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

paj, Sure glad you found some spring inspiration. I need some. This is what greeted my eyes this morning.

Thumbnail by rutholive
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Well, it is very beautiful, but I can imagine that you are tired of snow. I know I am and we haven't had anywhere near as much as you. I will keep my fingers crossed that you get some signs of spring soon. In the meanwhile, think how happy your plants must be under all that white mulch.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Paj. Signs around here are the snow starting to melt -- I breathe a sigh of relief! Not used to this no...... tho I am sure rutholive has more snow for longer than moi!

And I was grateful for the moisture, our whole state is getting a big system and they are now saying the drought conditions this year may even be eased by the amounts......

and my wintersown seedlings are still doin fine......... we hang in there together. ;-)

But. More flowers, please! And green things!

Corrales, NM(Zone 7a)

I have green! All those wonderful mystery Irises that I got from Dparsons have new growth. My 5 daylillies that I have no idea what they are have new growth. My baby dwarf irises that are so pretty but I wasn't sure they would withstand the transplant are popping up. I will have to take a picture. It has been two years since I have had blooms on my Dwarf Irises. Picky little things, I sure do hope they bloom this year. I am so ready for spring.

Thumbnail by LissaD
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey, Lissa, how very nice, thanks for the word picture as well as the picture picture. ;-)

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

I can see new growth on my columbines & the merest daffodil shoots poking up. I was at Denver Botanic Gardens today though & they have crocuses, irises & snowdrops in bloom all over! I have no sign of any of those yet in my yard, waaa!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, oh! It is coming. I know it is. Spring, I mean. We will have lots of pictures soon. Take your camera next time you go to DBG, lisabees!

Paj, I'm really curious what you saw blooming in Santa Fe. The only thing I can think of is Spartium junceum - if you google image search it you will see some pretty bush shaped ones. I have one in my yard and it is just a stick right now - it is early like a forsythia. It can grow really big but I think you can keep it in bounds by pruning - the desert critters have done that for me though it is supposed to be poisonous- first the rabbits eat it and then the caterpillars love what the rabbits couldn't reach.

Ruth, all that wet snow looks good to me though I know it can get tiring when you have to deal with it over a long winter. We have had about 3/100th of an inch of moisture all winter. NM has had lots of storms but they always seem to just miss us.

everybody, I'm loving your dot dot dot spring time reports... keep them coming please!

I have got to plant some spring blooming bulbs this fall. The apricot tree is my Spring Herald. Last year it was in full bloom March 3rd. Four four years now the green-flowered Gopher Plant has bloomed on St. Patricks Day. Also, in my yard the first cactus to bloom is the Claret Cup. That is usually towards the end of March. I can see the buds forming on it but they take seemingly forever to grow and open. There is a london rocket blooming under a palm in the front yard and I saw one little open blossom on a purple sandmat the other day. sigh, the spring winds sure have been blowing

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I don't think spartium junceum is what I saw. It's flowers were very symetrical. Next time I go down to Santa Fe, I will try to photograph it. It is very attractive. I think I have seen spartium junceum -- just didn't know the name.

Donna, I'm sorry I called you Ruth! I had my coffee by then, only excuse is the wind has jumbled my thoughts.

Paj, I think it is too early for the Spartium, I really wonder what you saw.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Me, too. I will try to find out. I could probably use it in my yard!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Glad you have Irises up LissaD. :) It is definitely Spring and things are starting to green up here.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I have more sprouts in my WS containers, despite recent snow. YAY! no pix tho

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Hey Paj, could your mystery plant be winter jasmine? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2346/
I have one in my yard that blooms pretty early, I expect the flowers to open in a couple of weeks.

Kyla, what's sprouting? I tried some penstemons this year but I haven't seen any green yet. It's probably for the best since it's been pretty cold at night.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, I think that is it! I think I might have to get one for my yard. It was my first flower of spring this year.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, winter jasmine sounds lovely.

Sprouting are CA poppies (2 kinds), sunflowers (!), basil, eve primrose, cosmos (!), as well as what sprouted earlier still doin good, spinach, kale, onions, baby's breath, blue flax, maybe some others I forgot.

Here is a quatrain I ran across and love, my spring song:

"If of thy mortal goods thou art bereft / And of thy meagre store / Two loaves alone to thee are left, / Sell one and with the dole / Buy hyacinths to feed thy soul." - Sheikh Muslih-uddin Saadi Shirazi

No, I have no idea who that is, someone quoted it somewhere and I snatched it up for my personal collection. ;-) Poetry helps whilst waiting for flowers.

Corrales, NM(Zone 7a)

Carolina Jessamine is blooming down here too. I don't have one now, but I used to and they have put them out at Wal-mart already. They bloom pretty early. They are more of a vine though.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/179941/

Englewood, CO(Zone 5b)

There is a dwarf forsythia on the market, maybe that's what you saw Paj.

I have charming little yellow crocuses blooming, and lots of bulbs are poking up leaves. Many perennials are getting basal growth, and the gazanias are coming on strong. Last year I had gazanias flowering in March, right along w some bulbs. I'll have to see what they do this year. For those who don't know about perennial gazanias, these are Gazania krebsiana 'Tanager'.

http://www.plantselect.org/plant_details.php?comment=no&plant_number=51

I'm a big fan of them, and planted their yellow-flowering cousins Gazania linearis 'Colorado Gold' a couple of years ago. They behave a little differently, but have also been reliably perennial and xeric.

It's been a "Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day" kind of day. A large branch broke off my silver maple, but didn't damage anything, thank goodness.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Once the snow melts down a bit more I am hoping to see some green tips from daffs I planted last fall.....

I used to think Gazanias were alien flowers. I have come to like them tho.

Sounds like you are having March in Feb, Trisha, with the blustery aspect. Good the branch knew where to fall. ;-) Sometimes wind can be very uncomfortable! Windstorms here recently kept me awake at night, very rough stuff. Over now thank goodness.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Living on top of the hill it's very unsettling if there is no wind. BRING ON THE PICS!!!! I would like to see pics of the green sprouts. I need to learn more about gazanias.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

TrishaG is the one who taught me that gazanias aren't all annuals. Great discovery. I prefer perennials if I can get them.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Makes sense. I might too if I were more sure how long I will be here..... looking at self sowing annuals right now as a primary base for things.....

signs of spring.... does it count that later this week temps are supposed to be up to *gasp* 50 in the day for a couple days!?!?! I can barely stand it, the wait, LOL!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You might prefer annuals in your situation, but TrishaG's gazanias are as easy as annuals but last longer. I am looking forward to nicer weather as well. The temperature hasn't been so low here but the wind has been most unpleasant. And we got our usual allotment of 100 snow flakes. I really will need to start watering somehow -- melting the hoses, then watering. But I do see a little more green each day. I actually did some weeding today. Alas there are hundreds of new tunnels from some sort of burrowing critter. If only Raja craved gopher sushi.
Unfortunately, dparsons has it right. She prefers purina and barbecued chicken. Hopefully tomorrow will be warm.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh wow, weeding! Now that is a sign of spring indeed!

sorry about the gophers...... they are hard to deal with. I used to have a wonderful cat, Simon, who could actually catch them. He would bring them to me. bless him. They are very hard to catch, it takes great patience! Simon also never never went after birds. He was special.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Um paj I think you should thaw the hoses. If you melt them they will be leaky.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Angele, I signed up in DG in early 2002 or late 2001, and didn't take time to try to figure an interesting user name, so just used my Mothers name Ruth Olive, so don't worry about calling me Ruth.

Trisha G. Where is/are perennial Gazanias available. I have grown the annuals from seed for many years but would like to try the per. type.

Donna

Donna, I've often wondered about "Ruth Olive" - truly a beautiful name.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Same here. I always wondered where you got the name rutholive. It is really lovely.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Me too, lovely name it is.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I prefer BBQ chicken to gopher too.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Simon wouldn't. One of his other sterling qualities was he had no interest whatever in people food. Ignored it totally. You could leave a whole BBQ chicken on the table under his nose and he would sniff and walk away.

Never met a cat like him. sigh.

Englewood, CO(Zone 5b)

My gazanias are sparking some interest!
I found out about these gazanias through Plant Select, and in the Denver area they're sold in nurseries that specialize in xeric plants, and also the DBG Spring sale. I've also seen them in the High Country Gardens catalog. I got mine from DBG, and I've been sharing ever since -- they reseed heavily.

For anyone coming to the DBG Spring sale get-together, let me know and I'll pot up a few for you. Or if you Dmail me your address, I'd be happy to send you seeds this summer. Dahlianut, I'm afraid the gazanias are not hardy enough for you, they're probably zone 5 tops. Also, they need full sun.

For some reason my Gazania did not come back and i did not save seed. Here is a picture of Kiss Yellow that was growing in my garden. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/186028/
Gazania has got to be one of my all time favorites for the front of the border.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Trisha, I hope to be able to make the gathering (supposed to be working, but hope I can get out of that day). I'd love to have some gazanias. I grew them a few years ago & lost them, I think I have a better place for them now.

When I had them before, my niece picked all the flowers & gave them to me LOL. My brother was mortified, but she didn't know any better. I thought she was sweet - but I missed the flowers in my garden, & they do NOT make good cut flowers!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

No, I bet the stems are too short. Maybe TrishG has a supply of seeds for both you and Angele.

Englewood, CO(Zone 5b)

Angele, your gazania may have been an annual. I love the annuals too -- they're more colorful. But the perennials are very carefree. There are some varieties that are grown in California, but I don't know if they're annual or perennial.

Lisabees, I know that feeling! You smile at the lovely child, and inside you cringe at the "deadheaded" plants. I'd be happy to re-supply you ;-) As we get closer to the Spring get-together, we'll post plant trade lists. If you think you can come, let me know then what plants you want and I'll have them for you. If you can't come, we can either arrange for you to come by my house some other time, or I can send you seeds.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have a couple of beds where I can push zone 5 so I'd like to try TrishaG if you don't mind collecting some seeds for me too this summer.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Paja, yes the stems are too short AND they close up when they're not in the sun!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Not good cut flowers for sure.
I have another sign of spring. My crocuses are sticking out the tip ends of their leaves! This is not just a great sign of spring, but is also a great sign that I may be getting over my inability to grow bulbs. It is a good day. keep your fingers crossed that my luck continues!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.