How many jugs have you winter sowed?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

i am currently at 111 [with more to do] and i've got 21 with germination.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

OMG -tcs1366 - you will have enough for a nursery!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

mine are all various sizes... yes, there are a lot of milk jugs... but some are 3 & 4" nursery pots.

and yea - i know.. where am i gonna put all these plants... but i have a plan..... sort of

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

My neighbors have recycled containers for me. :)

I think they all expect some 'stuff' to show up on their doorsteps.....

Which I will give some away since everything seems to have 'worked' and I have WAY too many sprouts! :O

The calling cops thing is really funny.

This message was edited Apr 22, 2009 12:18 PM

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Well it is getting close! Just got through going through my seeds to see what I will want to plant.
Next We will be cutting the containers and drilling holes in the bottoms.

I didn't see this thread last year! Does the # of jugs only mean Milk jugs? I had 300 containers last year but only part were milk jugs. And the question I get all the time is... "Are you going into the business?" NOOOO... I am just a wintersowing fool!!! Well, I go overboard on any thing plant related! I do not sell them. I do give a lot away to friends and family. I try to plant the rest, but sometimes I have a few that never get planted in a bed. And then I feel guilty...

Here is a picture of my containers from last year. We were not finished and when we were done there was no visible concrete. You can see my coldframe in this pic also. It was full too...

I hope I can cotrol myself this year. Somebody stop me! I don't need any more plants

Thumbnail by yardqueen1948
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

yardqueen.... every year we all hope to control ourselves... doesnt always work, though some of us are running out of real estate.

OH and "jugs" was pretty much "containers" ... i do not use all milk/gallon jugs either.

I think i sown 125 last year... some were gallons, half gallons all the way down to 2" square nursery pots.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I did some nursery pots too, in the cold frame and in plastc bags. Do you also sow some seeds indoors under lights?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

no -- i dont have room for that. I have done a 'flat' on a heat mat in a south facing window -- with hit or miss results. I'll also set small pots in baggies in my bathroom window.. it's south facing... and had decent results last year.. i will do that again this year.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL... where there's a will there's a way! Anywhere there's room... sounds like me.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OH... but DH has decided to try to 'grow' some Acorns ... and he's using my spot in the bathroom window.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Does he know how long it takes an oak tree to grow?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL...no... i would imagine YEARS.... but i'm letting him do his thing.

just to see germination I think would be good.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, I see germination of them... all the time! I have to pull them out of all of my flower beds! Do you know what kind of Oak they are from? We have a tremendous abundance of acorns. So much so that I teasingly told DH that instead of buying more rock to redo our washed out driveway, he should just use the acorns! When they fall on our metal carport it sounds like a war zone. And a lot of my plants have damage to their leaves from acorns hitting them. It looks like hail damage!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I am not sure what type they are... but there was an article here on Daves a few weeks ago i still need to read.

We have all the Oaks in Wisc where we have a trailer... we have an addition that is called an Add-a-room with a metal/aluminum roof, so it also sounds like a war-zone ... I call it 'popcorn' sometimes, when they are all falling.

and yes, we too see germination all the time... maybe that is why DH decided to see if he could grow little oak trees.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL... I gues it is a man thing about the oak trees. My DH was digging up seedlings and planting them in pots. Then he didn't water them...

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

ROFLMAO

Warners, NY

I planted acorns in 1981---two have survived and I now sit under them, but, they have totally shaded what was once a vegetable garden---the one trunk is about two feet through----I often wish I'd planted a whole grove but they are now spreading their own acorns. Red oak----------------Weedy

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Acorns were hitting me today as I was potting up cuttings... I probably have bruises

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.