Polymer Clay "One of a Kind Dolls"

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

My Mom passed away in 2011 but I thought this might still be of interest.

When my Mom was in her seventies she decided to learn to sculpt.

She started with Salt dough, then went to the Super Sculpey around 1991-1992. She never had a lesson in her life. She bought books on body proportion and then started experimenting. She really enjoyed it!

These are some of her Sculpey dolls. A few of the dolls have weighted feet and can even stand on their own! They are truly "one of a kind dolls". I hope you enjoy them. We sure have!

Jeanne

This message was edited Oct 18, 2015 12:26 PM

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Another stand-alone

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Another girl

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Not a stand alone, but sweet just the same.....

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Once I got the doll house they started getting smaller.....

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's a Grandma and granddaughter.

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Boy and girl (Mom also made the little chair that they are sitting in.)

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Toddlers

(Sorry the picture is blurry....I'm still learning to be a photographer. I have a lot to learn as you can tell!)

Jeanne

This message was edited Feb 18, 2009 12:12 AM

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

infant

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

A Lady

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Man

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

My other sculpey dolls are posted on the thread about dollhouses and Polymer Clay..

Here are some baby angels taking time out for their afternoon nap! (Sorry the picture is blurry......my bad!)

This message was edited Feb 23, 2009 9:01 PM

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Bump

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Yes, I am enjoying seeing these dolls. Glad you bumped it.

It always pleases me when people develop hobbies like this in their later years. My mother was an expert floral arranger. She loved working with artificial flowers. It was a wonderful talent and a hobby she enjoyed for many, many years.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you Cville__Gardener!

Hobbies are so rewarding! I love flowers!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Please continue to post more photos.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Jeanne! I saw this thread for the first time. Are the wonderful dolls you shared with Joyanna made out of polymer clay??? That would be fabulous. I've been thinking they were ceramic and have limited playtime with them, thinking they're quite fragile. Polymer clay isn't unbreakable, certainly, but it's tougher than ceramic. :-)

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi! Joyanna's are ceramic! Sorry.....they are fragile! Very very fragile.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, that's what I thought. We've been very very careful with them. What a treasure! :-)

Did your mom start with salt dough and polymer clay and then move to ceramic?

I hope you will share more of her work here!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes. Gradually she learned about the human body's proportions. Then one day she had my son drive her into Houston to buy sculpting clay and she was on her way! She bought books on how to make a mold......made her own molds, poured the molds with ceramic slip (porcelain greenware when baked and cleaned produces a finer dust.) She had COPD so chose ceramic!

She hand painted the heads, arms hands, legs, and feet; made soft bodies. She set the eyes. She made their clothes. She tried making shoes. She decided it was worth it to spend the money to buy shoes.

She bought "hair" from hobby shops and applied it. Sometimes she used wigs.

Some dolls are copyrighted.

She made infants, toddlers, children, women, 2 men, clowns (for me), Indians, and 24 in. Set of Mary, Joseph, and baby (Jesus).

There are over 100 I believe. Most are in my bedroom. Some are in boxes in closets, the attic, and family members have them as well.

We have dolls everywhere!

Pictures are shown on my Garden Diary: Ceramic dolls sculpted by my Mother I think it says.

I am typing this on a tablet and I don't know how to put in the link from here. Sorry.

This message was edited Oct 18, 2015 11:30 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The ones you gifted Joyanna with are amazing. I don't know what got into me, to consider that they might be polymer clay -- except that polymer clay has fooled me before into thinking it was something else!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Bump

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, wow... finally clicked my way over to your garden diary and checked out the "group shot." So many are clothed in that lovely mauve color, and you put a little backdrop behind them in the same type of fabric... reminded me a bit of Scarlett O'Hara or a similar scene from The Sound of Music... giggle.

Joyanna's dolls sit on top of her dresser, or on a shelf in her closet when friends are over (when they will still jump off the top bunk on occasion, I don't trust them around anything fragile LOL). They are so pretty!!

She does have an all-cloth doll from Santa several years ago, and that doll will be getting a "sister" soon. I found a wonderful site (Pattycake Doll Company) that offers a collection of dolls that are not all blond and blue-eyed... way better than the American Girl collection! I did like this year's "Melody" doll, but since her historic period was the 60's, her hair was straightened and worn in a "That Girl" bob... nothing like Joyanna's curls.

Don't get me wrong, Joyanna does have blonde dolls too, not to mention some with red (or pink!) hair... but I think it's important that some of her dolls "look like her." As the Pattycake site mentions often, little girls look at their dolls and think, "she's so pretty! and she looks like me. I must be pretty, too!"

Even if you aren't in the market for a non-caucasian doll, check out the lovely dolls on their site. They have boy dolls, too, and a nice selection of all-cloth dolls (for babies and toddlers). They even have some "special needs" dolls -- try finding something like that at WalMart!

Your mom made such a wonderful assortment of beautiful dolls; I wish I could share the pictures on this website with her. I bet she's cheering on the owners of this little company!

http://www.pattycakedoll.com/

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Jill,

So glad to hear from you! I was thinking of y'all the other day! I bet Joyanna is so tall!

I am so glad that you can find dolls that look like her!

I will have to catch up with you Ladies later as it is after 2 am here.

Merry Christmas!

Jeanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images