Early Spring pics

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

I did take my camera to DBG the other day. Here's a peek :

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Some more pretty crocuses:

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

They had snowdrops & irises coming up too, I wish I had more pics. Now it's your turn - who else has blooms now?

oh I am so green with envy! So, so pretty!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Me too, I have crocuses at home (AND snowdrops & irises) - but they're not up yet!

I've got a garden full of long blooming perennials, things that bloom from late spring through fall but almost nothing that blooms early spring. I have got to remember to plant some bulbs this fall. It would shorten the winter, that's for sure.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O sigh. Thanks ever so for posting those luvlies lisabees.

Santa Fe, NM

Just saw this thread! Here's what I got so far.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

And, those violets are just going wild! They smell really good.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

Not in my yard, but at Casa Sena garden downtown.

Thumbnail by roybird
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I MUST HAVE those pink violets. Roybird do you which ones they are??

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Awesome flowers, everyone. Can't wait until I have some to show.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

LOVE the violets!

Santa Fe, NM

Thanks. I really don't know what kind of violets they are. A friend of mine dug some up from a neighbor's yard here many years ago. Hers died out and I gave her back some of mine last year. I assume they are an invasive from another planet because they do quite well here. They do like shade in the summer and some water if possible twice a week.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

"Invasive" never scares me, it means "will probably grow" in my garden.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Same here, lisabees. If I hear it is invasive -- I go for it.

Of all the so-called invasives I've grown only one I won't grow in the ground again and that is plain old peppermint. Pot ok but it won't go in the ground ever again. Russian Sage send out runners but not many though I do find them hard to pull.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, I have a vacant lot full of Spearmint. It just took over, but the place where it is growing isn't used for anything else so I just let it go. My neighbor picks it for tea, I use it in cooking. I don't mind the invasion. I imagine peppermint behaves the same way.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Bermuda grass is an invasive that if you don't want, you don't want to give it even 1/2 an inch.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Roybird do you mind if I put your pic on the plant ID Forum. I really want to know because I MUST HAVE. It's ok if not too of course dear funny bird ^_^

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You are right about Bermuda Grass. I used to have to fight it back in Louisiana. Wouldn't want a single blade of it in my yard. Does it grow in New Mexico? I will add another invasive to my list for New Mexico -- Siberian Elm. I have cut down every single one I have found on my property for many years, but they keep replanting themselves whether I want them or not. Someone told me one could eat the seeds. I have never tried, but I sure wish they would become a gourmet item so there would be fewer to germinate.

Santa Fe, NM

Dahlia, of course it is o.k. to I.D. it! I would happily give you some but they probably wouldn't let you across the border with it. I also have lavender ones but they are a different kind. The blooms appear a little dried out this morning and there is one lonely bee out there snuffling around. It is about 45 already today and very sunny. I am seeing things coming up in a different sequence this year and not as much as last year.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Yes Bermuda grass grows in NM. Its probably not used as much up North as it likes hot weather, but its used quite a bit in Albuquerque and I'm sure South of us.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

my species iris are running about 2 weeks ahead of last year. The little yellow ones bloomed 2/15 this year!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

The violets look like a pink form of Viola odorata.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Greenjay, what species of iris do you have?

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Here's the first crocus to bloom in MY yard this year!

The next ones are all at Denver Botanic Gardens.

This message was edited Feb 27, 2009 10:28 AM

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

white "crocii"

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

I love flowers with bees!

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

more

Thumbnail by lisabees
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

That one is just totally diving in, isn't he?

Lovely crocii, Lisabees........

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

There's more than bulbs in bloom. Here's a cute little viola.

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Oh yeah, Kyla the bees were ALL over these. While I was looking at one tiny bloom, 2 bees came out of it!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Snowdrops

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Here's a better bee shot.

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

OK, not really a spring bloom, but this shrub is gorgeous. Anybody know what it is?

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Pasque flower

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

white Heather

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

iris

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

more iris

Thumbnail by lisabees

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.