Whose Seeding and Singing to Seedlings (Part Deux)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Lots more to discuss and oooooo about. We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/933796/

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I love plumbago! Dahlia, you will be please to know I am preparing to get into the seed trading aspect of things, did one little trade the other day, and am at the point in my own seed starting I can begin to see what is extra of what I have..... and there are definitely some things I want and gotta stop buying stuff, LOL!

So probably t his weekend I am going to make my lists...... ;-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

You GO girl ^_^

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I believe it may be time to start to assemble a seed-and-seedling-singing-to repertoire as well.

Any suggestions?

Deer Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

In two weeks the greenhouse will be cranked up and rolling for the spring season. Let the seeding and planting begin :-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm having a HUGE parade edder!

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I haven't started seeding yet. I finally got my veggie seed order in yesterday. I'll start with my annual flowers and probably some perennials too next week. Once the veggies come in I'll start the tomatoes, pepper and eggplants.

paj... there is a hardy variety of plumbago. I'm not sure if it is related to the tropical var. or not. Here is a link to the one I grow. It is extremely trouble-free. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/876/

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I've been seeding a couple species an evening this week. Over the last 3 nights I've planted:

Salvia dorii v. carnosa
Origanum calcaratum
Agastache rupestris
Agastache cana
Agastache pringlei
Agastache neomexicana

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Dahlia, who is in your parade?????

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Picante it will be a surprise ^_^ I will post pics.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Well, you'd better! I'll be waiting eagerly. Piper wants to know if there are going to be any dogs.

somebody hold me back... looking at the weather for next week makes me want to plant my seedlings. Daytime temps from 63 to 73 and tomorrow night is the only night below freezing at 31 - the rest are somewhere close to 40
I think I'm going to try putting out a few, maybe half... I can always cover them right?? I want those artichokes, eggplants, beans & etc. in the ground ... that's what I get for starting things 4 weeks too early.
you know, I always read about what a long growing season we have but I don't think it is true.. the nights don't really warm up around here for a long time. Don't lots of veggies like the nights warm too? Especially tomatoes and eggplant?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Lots do but not all, not all! I bet chokes eggplants and beans will be fine.

Well, it will depend on what kind of beans and you might want to check up about the eggplants. But I know what you mean about champing at the bit, today we have sun!!!!!! and temps up toward 60!!!!!!!! omigod.

So those among the WS containers who have sproutlets have already had their lids opened and are bathing in the lovely lovely light.

Kyla, i just did a walk-around and I have soooo much bed clean-up work to do, lol that ought to buy the seedlings a couple more nights inside.
dparsons, you start agastache from seed? I just have one in my yard, new last year, but love it, I didn't know you could grow them from seed... woohoo

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Think last frost date Angele. It doesn't do any good if you loose your plants.

You can cheat this with a device called a "wall-o-water." Its made from 2 layers of plastic sheet that are in a cylindrical shape and attached at the bottom and at vertical seams around the circumference. You put it around your plant and fill it up with water between the plastic layers. The water absorbs heat and keeps the plants warm at night if it freezes. They are about 15" tall. We put our tomatos out a little too early one year and they grew out the top of the wall-o-water before the last freeze. We only lost part of the top, so the plant was well protected. I would just assess the amount of time you can cheat in terms of the plant growth rate.

Yes, you can start Agastache from seed - unless its been hybridized so that the seeds give you a little different plant than the original or are sterile. Which Agastache do you have?

Ava - http://www.highcountrygardens.com/catalog/product/11821/
I think it is patented to HCG so I don't trade on this one - I think it is ok to take cuttings for my own garden since HCG gives that propagation info on their site? It is a hybrid and I don't know if it is sterile or if I should expect some variant babies to grow? Notice I have lots of ?????

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, I heard David Salmon say it was propagated with cuttings and that he named it after his wife Ava, so it had better be good or he would be in trouble.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Ava is really nice. It was on my list for a while but I like to opt for species that produce same-species seeds. Not always, but frequently. I found enough Agastache that I like, are native, that I can spend $3 on seeds for many plants, so I've run with those. Of course, planting fertile seed from hybrids can be fun too. I gather you will be finding out what grows from Ava seeds.

I don't think it is a problem to take cuttings for your own garden. It is certainly a problem to sell them without HCG agreement and paying the associated fee. I think part of what motivates growers to hybridize is they then have something unique that they own. Nobody can collect a handful of seeds and compete for the market. Most gardeners today don't take cuttings and propogate their own plants and I don't think the Nurseries are worried about the few that do.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Picante there may be puppy or 2 in the crowd. The crazy ole cat is in love so it's doubtful he will participate unless I can coax his spring fling into the mix. She is shy so probably not.

Well I am having fun cleaning out my back yard bed. I accidently cut off a small piece of new growth from Ava, honest it was an accident because I usually try to propagate from the pruned stems, so I am going to try & root this little piece to see what happens.

Found a clump of Rain Lily and a Jethro Tull Coreopsis hidden under a huge Gallardia when I cut it back. I knew I had 3 of the Jethro Tull but could only find two, lol. I thought I had moved all the Rain Lily but must have missed some. They are going to be easy to move but the Jethro Tull is completely mixed with the Gallardia. Gallardia was already blooming but I cut it back because flowers were small and plant was completely overgrown. Cleaning beds is fun!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Dahlia, if you need a band for the parade, these guys are tres fabby. http://www.marchfourthmarchingband.com/
If Parliment had been a marching band in Mad Max, that's what this band would look like. Funk on the horns and drums seems like an excellent sort of music for chasing away winter. If you ask extra nice they might even bring the fire truck.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Busy day today. I added some ammendments to my front beds as the plants are starting to show growth. Mostly it was a collection of minerals. My Thymes are loosing their purpleness and turning green. The Sedums are sprouting new growth as well as the Lavenders. I trimmed back some of the dead growth on the mint and the tops of the lavenders.

I also put some plastic irrigation tubing in my greenhouse and put misters in it. I think I've got a first sprout (unidentified as of yet - weed or Fernbush) and all these babies will need water daily. I'll be able to run the misters on a timer. Its getting full with seeded pots and spreading Veronicas and I'm going to have to move all he adult plants out soon. Also got more seeds planted after dinner:
Salvia pachyphylla
Salvia gregii 'Wild Thing' - collected these and am curious if I'll get 'Wild Thing' back
Origanum laevigatum

I'm down to just a few culinary herbs and some veggies left to plant. Still a bit early for some of these (tomatos) as they are too frost tender.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have been cleaning some beds, pulling up weeds -- how do they grow in the winter? and watering. I won't seed for a little while yet, but I figure I will do so in early March. My problem is not so much that I need more plants, but that I need more soil and space in which to plant things. My big problem is finding the soil to plant the plants I already have. I carried over numerous potted ones from last year. I am eager for the soil to thaw enough that I can begin planting again.
That said, I see my iris, daylilies, crocus and daffodils putting out tiny green sprouts and I am very excited. It appears that at least some bulbs will grow for me this year. This is new.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

paj, wish I could see my plants in whatever condition they are. There is at least 6-8 inches of snow on the ground where not disturbed of more show from shoveling piled on top. I am tired of white!!!!!!! So later today I will go plant some early seeds.

donna

What will you be starting Donna?
I'm having such a hard time deciding where to put everything, especially the melons and 1 pumpkin.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Though I am tired of the lack of moisture, the days have been sunny and lovely. I have been cleaning out various beds and watering. It is very pleasant.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I think weeds are hardy in zones 1-11 - at least Dandelions are. Actually, Dandelions aren't such a bad plant if you aren't fixated on a lawn. I have some weeds growing in the dirt-laden gravel in my front yard. They have little 1/2 inch, dark green, round leaves with serrated edges and deep purple flowers. Quite pretty for weeds and growing in cold with no water in over a month. I opted not to pull them for the time being.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Sometimes, even the weeds look good! I have some favorite weeds in my vacant lot that I allow to remain undisturbed.

We have missed every storm that has come to New Mexico again this winter. It is sooooo dry, just like last year. I feel so sorry for the desert critters. They must go over to the reservoir to drink. I have a zillion birds coming to the two water sources I've put out. Not seeing so many rabbits coming because of coyotes.

I'm working very hard on the veggie patch. Have turned the soil and mixed all the compost down 10". Goodness this is just one small area, I can't imagine having to do a large garden. I think I am going to put about 40-50% of the plants in containers. I just planted a 10 gallon container with two maters, 1 eggplant and 2 peas, the plants are so tiny I'm tempted to add a basil and a bush bean but I don't think I'd better ... maybe the basil???? The peas will come out before the rest get very big, right?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Digging a lot of work. I've always had better luck in the ground than in containers. Raised beds is an option that gets you good soil dept for less digging.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Ah, you all sound so organized!

Yesterday was a lovely warm sunny day -- enough snow had melted off for me to go out and put my overfull bucket of coffee ground on/in the one bed I am seriously preparing. I visited the daff sproutlets, there were a few more leaf tips showing but as yet no iris Harmony or anything else.

Put numerous germinated wintersown containers out in full sun with tops off...... and back covered of course before night..... At night another big storm came in, and we lost power for hours tho not so cold as before thankfully, it was rain, not snow. Not enough rain to flood the one little low area in the back next to my garden patch, but enough that now some of the WS containers seem seriously too wet.

Geeze, whoda thunk it? I put a few of the worst out in brief sun this morning for a while, to try to drain and dry a bit, then covered and put right up against the house, but not much protection there.

So I amused myself with making The List of those items I still need to accumulate to make my gardening plan work. Having them all on paper is a first step. ;-)

Angele, I am planning on at least 5 gal. for every tomato (I also am doing lots in containers, or intending to, but it is too soon here yet!) Here is a link about how much space container veggies need -- according to these folks anyways:

Editing to add link: http://www.gardenguides.com/how-to/tipstechniques/containerindoor/container2.asp

This message was edited Feb 22, 2009 1:34 PM

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Digging, yipes. I double dug a lot of beds back in the day when my back would permit! Now I am fully committed to a no-till approach. Or at least, mini-till.

Double digging is fabulous, however, if you can do it.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I dug up my oldest strawberry patch today and discovered the reason they look so pathetic is that they are infested with grubs. Arrggh!

I salvaged what I could and made sure none of the transplants were carrying any. So strawberries are moved to the other end of the bed and the grubs are getting a big dose of neem oil this week. It will be a few months till I can plant tomatoes there so hopefully I can kill the icky little things before then.

I have a fabulous tiller, his name is Reese :)

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh how disappointing! But it sounds like you have it under control.....

Thanks for the link Kyla! Rotten grubs you better leave Katlian's strawberries alone!
dparsons, this gardening is hard work, lol. It is going to take me a few years to get everything in the ground and it seems like I might catch a bad case of the lazies before I get 'er done! Honest I love being & working outdoors but I should have got some of this ground turning done before the winds got here - they plum tucker me out ... whine, whine, whine, any body got any cheese? ha, I'm really feeling pretty content.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

You're welcome. I am doing such a bunch of new stuff this year, sounds like you are too, we can keep each other company in our experimenting. ;-)

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I feel for you Angele. When we moved into this house I had about 200 plants in containers that we brought with us. Total pain in the butt to water all those containers by hand and it seemed like something was always going wrong with the drip system and killing one of them. I'm down to about 20 potted plants that still need a home in the ground and you better believe those are some tough plants to kill.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I don't know which is worse, having all those plants to move, moving them, then having the challenge of caring for them so daunting, or what I did which was give everything away and now starting from scratch. And drip systems do seem to need as much care as the plants themselves, if not more. I guess eventually you could get a set up that works efficiently with out a lot of fiddling all the time but I don't know anyone who has done that.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

My drip system worked great for a while, but I frequently hit underground hoses with a shovel, cutting them in two. Sometimes the end of an emitter blows off and a neighbor walking a dog informs me that I have a geyser somewhere. And then i have workmen come in to stucco the house and they destroy everything they touch. This will be my hardest year in the 12 since I moved to this house.
And tell me about stuff in pots. I have about 60 or so irises in so-called 1 gal pots and my veggie beds are full of iris. I also have 3 roses in pots and many perennials. Stop me when I go to the DBG sale! Don't let me bring home anything but pictures! No, I won't take all those lovely free plants you all bring to give away. ( Right!)
It just seems to be my way that my eyes are bigger than my stomach -- figuratively only, of course.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.