Whose Seeding and Singing to Seedlings (Part Deux)

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Of course.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I hear you pajarito. Its hard for me not to want plants when I look out on rocks. I have myself on a course to put in ~300 plants this season. My main resistance is knowing that a plant that is perfect for next year's project will probably die if I take it now. I don't like doing that.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, I have so many rocks needing greenery of flowers to set them off -- and very little soil. And I have an enormous lust for flowers -- almost any kind. And I have never been so aware of the weakness of my back.
Last year as I was breaking up tufa with my pick and breaking bar, I got very sore in my shoulders. When I asked my doctor what to do about it he told me to quit breaking up rocks! What a lack of understanding.
I am trying to use moderation and yoga to keep going at it. I hire people when I find them, but I don't seem to move in the right circles. None of the people -- even young kids -- have the slightest interest in manual labor!
Angele, I used to get sore turning the soil, but the days of having soil to turn are long gone. Now I am trying to create soil. Turning soil is much easier. BTW, I learned over the years, that if you just turn your soil a few inches deep, and mulch well once everything comes up, the earthworms and bacteria will do the rest. Double digging does help start a new garden, but actually isn't required. Try mulching instead!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, you make me feel better about my situation........ bad as it is at least I have soil. But I hear you about the back, after that snow shoveling I was wondering how long it would take to recover, then before I really was recovered I decided to unload the soil and compost bags from the back of the car and stash them under the steps -- that was the camel's back moment right there for a few days...... No way I know to garden without bending over. Unless you are already set up with high raised beds and creating them involves bending over.

but I do seem to have recovered which is heartening.

Agree totally about the mulching.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

And, starved for flowers! Yow! I am just remembering, in NC, there were usually some kind of early bulbs blooming by January..... and the last flowers of t he year often lingered into December...... I was not conscious of it til you said it, Paj, but I am truly starved for flowers, my goodness, who knew!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, if I were in Mississippi right now the Camellias would be blooming away. And I think this is the time when the Sweet Olive blooms, but i could be wrong -- it has been a while. One of the unfortunate things about the more northerly climates is the lack of flowers in winter. I will be in LA for a few days next week and will enjoy the camelias and other flowers so much! Last year this time we visited the Huntington Gardens, but this year we will be visiting Koreatown and some Chinese restaurants and grocery stores with Ma Vie. What fun that will be. Maybe they will have some flower gardens near the grocery stores and restaurants.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

A good thing to remember about physical exertion is that it will help keep you strong and healthy longer.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

BUT, you must remember not to overdo. I have worked hard all my life and when I had my last hip joint replacements in 1994-1995, the doctors told me that main problem was that I worked too hard and worn out my joints. Arthiritis everywhere also. So now I have to work slowly and easily. So be cautious.

donna

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I spent the whole day in the greenhouse yesterday getting it ready for the 'Wakening of the Dahlias' festival and multitudinous seedings which starts next weekend ^_^

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Next weekend is almost to the equinox.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

March 1st there is enough natural light to grow healthy babies here. It is a very important day. There should be a holiday or a holiweek.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I thought March 1st was a holiday. Its Dahlia Awakening Day and there is a festival.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It is for me but some of the other dahliaholics have to work :(

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Work on a Sunday? I also thought the common practice was to celebrate on the weekend after if March 1 fell in the middle of the week.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes that is the common practice 'forced' on us sigh but it means that some years you might lose a few precious days when you could be celebrating earlier.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Our society has just lost perspective dahlianut.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Amen to that dparsons01. I once knew a psychologist who explained that holiday actually means holy day and centuries ago there were many holy days when one didn't work but celebrated. She seemed to be saying that lack of holy days was one of the reasons she had so many patients. I tend to agree. My mental health has improved vastly since I retired although at first I had to get over the guilt of watching every one around me work while I relaxed. I don't have a problem with that anymore, though. I am just taking care of my sanity!

As for exersize being good for you, yes, but. I too have plenty of arthritis. I try to do 40 minutes per day of aerobic exercise,. but a couple of weeks ago I got a terrible pain from my waist down the back of my bottom and leg to my feet. I was ready to go to the doctor when I remembered that I had a yoga book that covered sciatica. Sure enough I started doing the exercise for a tight piriformis muscle and everything got better in a day. However, I am not sure a doctor would have figured that one out. It seems that if this little muscle that goes from the sacrum to the hip joint gets overly tight it presses on the sciatic nerve and can be excruciating. I can vouch for that. I bed I would have been treated for sciatica if I had gone to the doctor. I still maintain that you have to be able to tell the doctor what is wrong yourself if they can't grow it in a petri dish or see a broken bone.
Nothing against doctors, it is just so hard to explain in detail what is wrong. It turns out that runners and cyclists who don't stretch this muscle get this problem.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Is that the psoas muscle, Paj??

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Apparently not. I looked it up in wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psoas_major_muscle

and they are close to one another, but not the same. But it looks to me like I better make sure I take care of my Psoas muscle as well. I am now taking yoga 2 days per week and I think that class gets my psoas but not my piriformis.

Amazing how much one must learn to stay healthy-- at my age. It wasn't a problem until recently.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

There are certainly physical problems that come. I'm glad you got yours straightened out. I certainly don't advise overdoing the exercise, just that we are better off with a moderate amount. Gardening is good for a lot of it.

I was watching a show on National Geographic the other night on some of the more extreme nuts who like to break concrete with their heads and such. Some analysis on the bones indicated that the repeated stress had resulted in these peoples bones building up a more extensive fiber content and much greater strength than the average person. Not that I'm advising this approach, but I was wondering to what extent this relates to people's bones getting brittle in old age.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Well, don't worry. I bash my head on enough metaphoric walls that I have no desire to bash it on physical ones. But maybe those with osteoporosis should consult with a doctor about this. I feel certain the doctors would not recommend it, though. Still, hopefully they will study the phenomenon among people who willingly bash their heads on walls.
I try to do 40 minutes per day because I am pre-diabetic and don't want to get diabetes. Exercise is one of the top treatments for insulin resistance. I usually walk at 3.1 mph on the treadmill which isn't very fast, but is good enough to keep my blood pressure down and to burn up extra fats in my body. It isn't actually my favorite thing to do. Gardening does help and I do less when I am out digging holes all the time. I don't know how to quantify gardening though, but it is my favorite form of exercise.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Depending on what you are doing, flexibility, strength, and occasionally mildly aerobic. It also gives you good feedback for your efforts.

I could identify with the guys in the show who were picking up 200+ lb. balls as I have a few large rocks in my yard. Got some good pointers on technique. ;)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Hmmm. Even I could use that one.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I chose the area for my garden because of the large rocks already in place as they add a great deal of shape to an otherwise flat expanse....... two are perfectly placed for me to put a board across and create a bench. Not moving any rocks here thankfully!

I have just been assured on the WS forum that my onions will be okay despite swimming, at the moment. I do wish to send some rain around in various directions to any of you who would like some! And I am considering the potential efficacy of singing to my containers "You Are My Sunshine, My Only Sunshine"

tra la

Reno, NV

Yay seeds! I'm still having issues with the company I ordered from. About to sic my honey on them, he can get companys to do just about anything. But my pepperlings are up and looking good. Still just have their first leaves but any day now:). Some more lavenderlings up. And planted some basil, mustard, kale, and lettuce to get a head start. Last year I put my cool stuff out too late and it didn't get much time. That and I've yet to get basil from seed. Too long. The mustard and the lettuce are already up. A couple of basil have started to peek up. Now if I could just get my order.

Reno, NV

Good one Kyla! My peppers like "Hot in the city" by Billy Idol.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Okay, I gotta know,what is the company t hat is hanging up your order??????

Are you sowing in a greenhouse??? I am jealous now, officially jealous, of everyone's sprouts that are not also my sprouts, LOL! My lettuce, not showing any signs of life! I think my basil rotted and I don' h ave more seed, havta get some. No sign at all from the lavender.

Oh, BTW, can we recruit your honey to talk to soma them banks?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm sure I have a strong head because I have bashed it pretty good in this lifetime. I wonder if I back bashing will make it stronger. Probably not because it muscular. Dancing must be to the answer for that one. STILL nothing duchess? I too want to know who these bums are so I can send them some negative thought waves. Note to self: Peppers are "Hot in the City" fans. Duchess I am also going to be angry at my pepperlings cuz anger is supposed to make the peppers hotter.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

That company sounds like the place I ordered from last year. Is it Heirloom Acres? I ordered seeds on Feb. 8th and they didn't ship until March 4th after I sent them a reminder. I didn't order from them this year because of that fact. It is sad though because they have great prices.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2009 1:31 PM

Reno, NV

Heirloomseeds.com Strictly online company. Ugg. I hear you Pluto. This place has great prices too but this is turning out to be way more than its worth. My husband got the gitf certificate ordered in early Dec. Didn't show til Mid Jan. And still no seeds. Definately going to complain.

Kyla- I'm not sure anyone could talk sense into those fools. They don't seem to belive that gravity works.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, about the fools, it was just a stray thot. I have many of those. haha

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

There are over 200 million people complaining now and they are giving bonuses.

Reno, NV

I hear you:) I actualy don't have a green house. I use the spare bedroom now that we don't have a roommate any longer. I have one of those plastic industrial shelf things with shop lights chained to it. It works pretty well but I may run out of room. That and the shelves are 3 feet and the lamps are only cheap if you buy 4foot. So there's a bit extra.

For my peppers it also worked well to move the shelves over the floor vent and let the peppers get some heat.

I may be a bit early but last year the peppers took too long. I planted these 1/27 and they still just have nurse leaves (that is the first ones right?)

Reno, NV

The bonuses, ugg, idiots, Makes my want to spit.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Me, too. Those bankers need to hide in their vaults. If anyone sees them on the streets they are in big trouble. I wouldn't do anything, but some people aren't as in control of the feelings as I am.
Oh, and did you hear? I heard on the radio yesterday that Microsoft, which is laying off a whole bunch of people goofed and gave a bunch of them a too large severance package. Now they want their money back and it isn't clear that they have a legal leg to stand on. Awwww. I feel so sorry for poor baby Microsoft -- not! I hope those people get to keep the money!

Reno, NV

Here Here!! I know what you mean all that money, from us, going to pay some rich punk who doesn't know how to run a bussiness. Heck they killed some of these bussinesses. Just kills me. If I messed up that bad no one would give me bunches of money.
Grumbel. Mutter, Snarf.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Head for the hills computer geekoids!!! Hide with the sasquatches!!!!!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I hear bankers make good compost.

Duchess, your growlight roommate is the kind of roommate I need! I haven't yet creatively r esolved my lack of indoor growing space. But it is encouraging to hear you are talking about sproutlets inside and not outside, as if it were outside I would definitely have to be way way more jealous than I am.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I take advantage of my South-facing sliding glass door.

Bankers do work well for compost, it just takes longer for the bacteria to process all the fat.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

oooh, Good one!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.