Whose Seeding and Singing to Seedlings (Part Deux)

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Just let us know when Scotty has come up with a solution. I would think the little bit of added mass from the moisture would dampen the winds a little, but I'm not the expert here.

Reno, NV

I would take rain if you wanted to send it but please no more snow:). Today is one of those stuning days that make me start jumping around for spring. I am actualy too hot in my sweater for the first time in ages!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Mulch, I don't need to make any peppers hotter than usual. The usual heat in any thai prik kee noo pepper is hot enough for me. Actually that is true for Serrano and cayennes as well. Some jalapenos these days are too mild, though. Have you noticed lately they have been breeding them to taste like a jalapeno and have no heat. What a rip off!
Dahlianut -- tell Scotty to hurry up. Before the whole place goes up in smoke.

duchess, I had to turn the heat down in the den -- where we have computers and TV and audio & video equipment.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

The Senorita jalapeno is a mild jalapeno which I grew and gave some to my hispanic friend who was quite indignant about it. Was a good joke on him...

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I wonder if the jalapeno mildness corresponded to controlled growing conditions. Like mulch said on watering. My experience has been the same. If the plants are allowed to wilt a little, the peppers are hotter.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I think both are factors... hot peppers are being bred for mildness so more people are willing to buy them. I don't get the point though. If you want a mild pepper go for a flavorful Italian slicing/frying type instead. However, my mildly hot peppers really had a kick to them last year! I think it was because I stressed them out by not giving them 'fertile' soil. I feel that my soil is lacking big time in organic material. They did get quite a bit of water but maybe they could have used more. Aren't these tropical climate plants we are trying to grow?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

A number of them are certainly tropical. I don't know the various species and their natural ranges. I certainly haven't come across any that survive freezing.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I used to be able to eat hot jalapenos by themselves straight for a snack. My body does not tolerate the idea well these days, so for me a milder hot pepper means I still get to enjoy them.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

So you're saying you're still hot, just not quite as hot as you used to be. :)

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Oh, sure, that is exactly what I meant...

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

http://www.hothothot.com/

I went there to hear the song, but they didn't have it.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

My Clover is starting to sprout around my fruit trees.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Isn't the coevolution of hot peppers and birds fascinating? http://faculty.washington.edu/tewksjj/articles/deterrence_nature_2001.pdf

Reno, NV

Well my husband did his company conviceing and my seeds where sent yesterday. I'm still never going to buy from them again.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Hope they are xtra speshul seeds, duchess......

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Me too! I have very important new to report. It seems the voilas are especially fond of Rod Stewart! They started bobbing to angele's 'Hot Legs' so I added my best version of 'Maggie May'. They DO seem to be getting stronger stems ^_^ Also very exciting is that the I have red delph babys which I so especially want. I am spending alot of time singing to all the babies now so I will be happy to get them into the greenhouse where they can join together in all their seedling games. As long as they don't pot jump (a favorite seedling game) which really messes me up but I guess kids will be kids.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Oh, I bet they would love "Forever Young"!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Or at least "Staying Alive!" LOL!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Seedling singers after my heart ^_^

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Okay, Dahlia, is this where we get to hear about the First Spring Dahlia Ceremony (Whose Official Name I Have Forgot But It Has Singing And Dancing In It And A Parade)??????

Or does that rate its own thread?

Or, is weather making necessary a last minute rescheduling?????

Having no dahlias myself, I am apparently in need of a vicarious experience, so.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Apparently the dahlias are more important than we are today.

~snort

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Hmmm. The parade is probably coming right up. Dang, I wish we had live coverage!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Yeah, I guess the wormhole doesn't connect over to DN's place...

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Maybe the parade was on pay-per-view.

Reno, NV

We need a series of conected gazing balls and moon mirrors for parades and danceing.

Reno, NV

My Seeds are HERE!!!! Yay. Now I really want to get back home so I can play:)

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

My seedlings, oh, my seedlings!!!!! *sing* sing*! LOL!

I just spent the day out on the deck organizing my seedlings so it looks less like a hillbilly haven and a bit more like a garden.

Planted out spinach and early globe radish in a nice big windowbox shaped planter, oh my did that feel good! Most of what has sprouted I arranged all in a row (of gallon jugs with tops peeled back), and then separated the ones that are still just barely started and another smaller group of ones that have not shown any signs yet. Keeping the lids on those and watching closely.....

My lavender is germinated and doing great I am so thrilled!!!!!! My parsley is also just barely germinated....... signs of life most definitely. Tra-la!!!!!

So today also I wintersowed a second sowing of Thymus vulgaris, lavender, and Roman chamomile -- all of which are germinated from the first sowing but why not have more???? also did a second wintersowing of Salvia officinalis even though the first one has not germinated yet, cause one or the other or both will eventually.

Also did a second wintersowing of two perennial foxgloves. The first sowing of those has not germinated either, but the biennial foxglove has, so I am confident these will also.

And direct sowed (in a 3 gallon container on the deck) another variety of radish called Easter Egg. I saved the French Breakfast radish to sow later on.

And I filled a 5 gallon grow bag with potting soil and direct sowed some snow peas in that! Yee-ha!

Set up my little table, put a little pot of radish starts on it along with a blue glass globe paperweight my nephew sent me, mainly to keep the table from being lifted by some stray mean wind gust.....

Would have been -- was! -- very tempted to plant out the lettuce but don't think I have enough potting soil for it and it is not really quite ready but so very close!

Out back the tips of daffodils and Iris reticulata "Harmony" are showing, so I sprinkled some organic bulb food around there and watered it in......

It is an overcast day but no rain as of yet -- the sun did peak out for a little while in the middle of the day so I got to see how it falls on the new positioning of the containers out there.

All is well in my world. ;-)

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Wow. I should say all is well!

All my tomato seeds are sprouting except Stupice, for who knows what reason. So I planted some more Stupice from a packet of organic ones I got from Nichols last year. But I have Sweet Millions, Sioux, Whoppers, and Caspian Pinks. I should seed some Early Girls although they are my least favorite, they are reliable under all conditions in my hoop house.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, reliable is good, a true value, and even if they are not your fave I sure bet they are good and better than the boughten alternative.

I am totally not knowledgeable about tomato varieties but expect to enjoy learning that kind of fine tuning..... Been reading in the Tomatoes forum with great interest. ;-)

Duchess????? have you seeded those seeds? I am all ears (well, so to speak......)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Growing heirloom tomatoes is one of the great joys in life -- next to eating them. Mulch, Pink Caspian is one of my very most favorites. I haven't checked recently but last time I was on the tomato forum, on member was CAROLYN or maybe it was Dr. Carolyn. Anyhow that is the name of Carolyn Male who wrote the book, 100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden (Paperback). It is impossible to underestimate her contribution to the growing of tomatoes in home gardens. She used to be a prof at the U of Colorado Med School in Denver but has now retired to New England and contributes regularly to DG. There is even a whitish cherry tomato named after her. It is called Dr. Carolyn.
Do enjoy this wonderful lady's contributions to DG. Also realize that when you read the tomato forum, things are different in one zone from another. In New Orleans we used to grow a Spring crop and a Fall crop of tomatoes. In the Rockies we are lucky to get a single crop each year.
In general, one is better off with heirlooms than with hybrids, but there are some exceptions like Early Girl, not perhaps the best, but very reliable and even tasty when grown at home. One hybrid I love is Sun Gold. It is cherry size gold colored tomatoes, both sweet and tart and hard to beat. I have seen children eat them like candy. Sweet 100 and Sweet Million are also good hybrid cherry tomatoes. But on the whole the heirlooms are the best.
In addition to Caspian Pink another really, really good one is Cherokee Purple -- at least here in New Mexico. It is one of those almost black ones and is luscious.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I have been reading Carolyn Male's posts, she is somewhat active over there..... very interesting discussions.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

She knows whereof she speaks. Glad you are paying attention.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I seeding another 8 trays of luvly things this weekend including tomatos, peppers, basils and artichokes. I also potted and potted and potted up dahlias. I moved the indoor babies out to the greenhouse too and they are very excited about it.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Do you ever grow dahlias from seed, DN?

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I have Carolyn's book, which has been quite useful. She does really know her stuff.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yupper paj. They are very easy to grow from seed. Dahlias don't stay true to seed so seeds will produce a cross of the seed and pollen parents. Not the way to go if you are persnickety about getting a particular hybrid but fun to do! O and happy State Tree Day NMers ^_^

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Carolyn is indeed a tomato guru.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Is this Pinon Day? I had no idea. Pinons are truly wonderful trees even though when I first came to New Mexico I thought they were bushes, not trees. Now I realize trees don't have to be 50 -100 ft. tall.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Garden History Item today:
1949: The pinon tree (Pinus edulis) was officially adopted as the state tree of New Mexico, the favored selection of the New Mexico Federation of Women's Clubs.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.