Whose Seeding and Singing to Seedlings (Part Deux)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, I checked the home page after you mentioned it. I will have to go out and kiss a pinon tree. In my part of town we don't have so many -- mostly ponderosas. But just across town pinon trees are the main pine. It won't be hard to find one to kiss! I had no idea what day to celebrate Pinon Tree Day. Thanks to you and Dave's Garden for enlightening me. Pinon trees make the sweetest smelling wood smoke you can imagine. Unfortunately they are very slow growing trees and the only reason we have any to burn right now is because of a terrible attack of the pine borer which killed millions of them a few years ago.
It is bad karma, according to me, to cut down a pinon tree, a living one, that is.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2009 10:58 AM

Reno, NV

This weekend I put my peppers in individual cups so they can get big and strong. I have radishes showing in a container. Planted some buckwheat. I have sweet williams showing up. Clearing garden beds. Next weekend I'll put out the mustard and kale seedlings, sow some lettuce, and I'm thinking it's just about time for my peas.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I would luv to have a pinon tree. I luv smelly trees which is why I put in annual cedars. I would have an annual pinon if they brought them here.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My sweet williams are coming on strong too duchess. We finally had meldown so there are exposed beds.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Duchess, I was going to plant my trees yesterday but the weather was so rotten that I decided to stay inside and work on my boat. The brussels sprouts are happy in their little tv screen coldframe.

Dahlia, you need some cedar sage or pine scented geranium that you can bring them indoors in the winter. Tree smells in a smaller package.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No sunny windows katlian so most things don't do well inside :(

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Oops, I meant peas, not trees ☺ Now I have conifers on the brain.

Sorry you don't have good plant windows Dahlia. Of course, once you get started with that it can get out of hand pretty quickly. My fruit sage plants are living in my office and the bathtub in the guest bathroom. So far we've only had to move them for one guest this winter.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I am going to try these peas this year http://gardening.about.com/od/vegetablesincontainers/qt/Container_Peas.htm

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Duchess, sounds good! Peppers ready to put in cups, I mean...... I might have planted out lettuce yesterday but it was too windy -- rainy too but only enough rain to be annoying, not to do much good.

and again the same today...... waitingwaitingwaiting..... ;-)

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Dahlia, interesting! I have some Oregon Snow peas.... that will get to 30 inches they say, I don't mind the trellising actually, 30 inches does not sound all t hat big... but peas specially designed to stay short, pretty cool. Bush peas. ;-)

Anyway, mine are done out there in a pot waiting to sprout........... grow bag to be precise. Nice! never used them before.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I went out to weed the lily bed and Raja, the youthful dog, thought I had a good idea. She dug a great big hole in the middle of the lily bed when I wasn't looking. I see we are going to have to do some more dog proofing. Grrr.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I don't have a spot YET for the tall ones so I thought I would try those. They look sooooo cute.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I prefer Oregon Giant peas, but the ones that don't need staking are nice. For me Oregon Giants are -- much larger than the others but I like the purple flowers on the smaller ones.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O dear. Puppys are prone to be vigorous weeders.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes and everything they see is a weed -- weee!! the dirt flies for many feet.

Reno, NV

I love growing things in pots. Certainly makes it easy to give them whatever light they perfer:)

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I can identify with the dogs participating in the fun of digging. Mine have done it after I've planted. Thankfully, they aren't real big on it.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I actually like digging with my forepaws sometimes. But it has to be nice dirt, none of your rocky clay stuff.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Cosmo knows I am the only one allowed to dig in the gardens.

Not that it is an issue at the moment, we have a nasty north wind and a blizzard going.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes Mulch while you are digging and weeding, Cosmos is painting works in red with with his tail. Perhaps he is motivated by tomatos? Smart dog.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

hahahahaha that old Taoist dog

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Hmmm, he does get excited about tomatoes because he gets to run around outside when I go pick them, he knows the word tomatoes. I never connected that with his color choices in painting, very astute observation, Dahlia.

Reno, NV

So sad. My basil croked. No idea what happened, last night all the seedlings were dead and shriveled. Didn't do anything different to them. Oh well. An other year buying basil plants.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oo that is too bad! You don't want to try again to reseed? It is a bit early, I believe, for basil -- meaning there's still time.

I have onions germinated that are just sitting there not seeming to grow or die either one............ bizarre.

Reno, NV

I thought about it but I just seem to have the worst time getting basil from seed. These buggers germinated several weeks ago and hadn't even put out true leaves. Sigh. I think I'm going to go for the nursery ones. Have lots of others seedling that need my love and devotion. Lol.

Huh. My bunching onions did that last year. Just kind of hung out then one day in, August(?) July, sometime, they went nuts and grew like crazy. Bizarre is a good word for it:)

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

gotcha. These are Walla Wallas.... never grown onion from seed before, so a learning is happening. I'm good at growing those! hahaha

Reno, NV

Oh man do I love onions! For shame, now you have me wanting French Onion soup and I have to go to a meeting after work. LOL.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Basil dies easily from wilts -- viruses usually transmitted by flying aphids and white flies. The other thing basil really loves ( and hates the opposite of) is sun and heat. I do not advise planting basil indoors much before you can put it out. It doesn't seem to get those viruses when the weather is good and hot and it is getting lots of sun. The only basil I can get to survive is Thai basil, Siam Queen. It will overwinter at times.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Basil is the most persnickety herb I grow. It HATES cold nights (as paj says) and HATES having its leaves watered. I only grow it in the greenhouse now. Some here have success with it in containers against the house or beside/in stone hardscaping where it gets ambient heat at night.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I should have answered your question on a different thread Dahlia, but now I don't know which one it was. Anyhow, yes, go ahead and plant your chervil. In fact, it would have been good to plant it last fall as well. It will start to grow when time is right for it -- which will probably be soon. I think some of mine is up already, but not most. I suspect this is an ideal time to plant your chervil. I don't recall for sure, but I think it likes to get some light in germination so you don't need to bury it much, if at all.
Yes, our summers here are wonderful, but our winters are pretty long -- but very sunny even though they are cold. Still, nothing like what you have in Calgary. There are a great many benefits to living at high altitude -- but it sure makes it challenging to get a good crop of tomatoes!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

paj, I forget, what is your altitude there in Los Alamos. Our climates are similiar, except for altitude and my colder longer weather. Here at my place is 1450 feet. Sure makes a lot of difference from my other place at 950 feet. the fruit trees get their blooms frozen lots of years.

But tomatoes do very well here. Have some tom. seedlings ready to go into gal containers while waiting for weather to warm. Did reach 52 degrees here yesterday our warmest day this year.

Donna

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Well, talk about a difference, I am at 7300 ft. It is lovely for living here, temperatures change quickly because the air is not very dense. It is already 51 degrees this morning at 10:18. Our nights are now in the high thirties but are expected to get colder starting tonight. Tomatoes aren't supposed to set fruit below 65 degrees at night, but some do or we would never have a tomato crop. We do get tomatoes here, but not the lovely harvests of lower altitudes.

Reno, NV

I guess I could try seeding the basil directly outside once it warms up. Our summers are often in the 90s and up, 300 days of sunshine a year:). I typicaly put my basil on the back patio, all pale cement so it reflects alot of heat and light.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Your basil will love being seeded outdoors. That will solve most of your problems with it. It loves heat. When I was in Greece, I used to see permanent basil plants by the doors of the houses and I feel quite sure they got an occasional freeze in part of the area we visited, but maybe not. One way or the other, I haven't figured out what kind of basil doesn't freeze, if any.

Reno, NV

I'll give it at go then:). Basil is one of those fussy plants for me. I love it tho, so I keep playing with it.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I don't have any trouble with Italian basil outdoors, assuming I wait until the cold and freezing weather are over. It seems to handle our cool nights pretty well. I normally plant it in flower pots just to keep it near the back door so I can run out and grab a sprig whenever I feel like it. It does try to go to seed about the middle of the summer. I pinch off the blooms to keep it going, but I also start some new plants about that time because if you miss a blossom the whole thing may die. It is a very short lived annual. We just have to accept that.

Reno, NV

Obamas are putting in a veggie garden!!!

(http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/dining/19garden-web.html?_r=1&hp)

I am so stoked about this! Better nutrition, cheap, exersize, I'm all about the Victory Garden.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

"And herbs will include some more unusual varieties, like anise hyssop and Thai basil" and "heirloom tomatoes". I'm really impressed! So many are more focused on impressions and 're-decorating'. I wonder if she would like some seeds? ^_^

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Nice. I hope it does inspire the country to pursue healthier eating. In one of the threads in the sustainable alternatives forum, this came up a few months ago as a wish. Good to see it actually happening.

Reno, NV

Lol. I can just see it. The White House buried under a sea of seeds! The maill full of sweet envolopes, notes, and latin names.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.