Scientists dance their dissertations

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

This has nothing to do with gardening.

Then again.......

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/02/21/scientists-dance-the.html

(short video)

Santa Fe, NM

I've paid money to see worse! Pretty neat.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

hahaha. We can imagine the garden around her......

I run across these odd things all the time and never really know where to share them..... I figured maybe someone here might get a kick out of this one like I did.

whoda thunk it?

Reno, NV

Cute. I love to garden in skirts! Need to get some new flowy skirts for this year.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

That goes in the Now I've Seen Everything list.

And I personally would not dream of gardening in a skirt. With the wind around here, the darn thing would be over my head all the time. That would likely offend the neighbors while also making it hard to see my poppies.

Reno, NV

Lol Mulch.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I don't garden in a skirt either mulch. I expect it would bother my neighbors if I did, but probably not because of the wind.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Dparsons, you are far too timid.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

There are some things I'm afraid of experincing mulch. The set of possible consequences of wearing a skirt in my front yard is one of them.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I like the poofy skirts with crinolins. I could 'sashay' to and fro about the garden in twilight in a poofy skirt tending to the blooms. Very romantic.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Dparsons,
Well, you may have a point. You must not have any Scottish ancestry though.

Edited so as not to confuse the point with poofy skirst frolicking.

This message was edited Feb 25, 2009 12:57 PM

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Certainly not enough.

Reno, NV

I like the long ankle length, gauzy cotton skirts. With bare feet and a tank top:)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Those kind do a Marilyn Monroe thing in the wind here like Mulch already mentioned.

Reno, NV

I think as windy as I think it is here, You have much more wind:)

Santa Fe, NM

When it is really hot I've been known to garden in my nightie. But no one can tell! Remember when I had friends over for dinner and wore my bathrobe and they complimented me on my nice dress? I think I could wear anything around here and nobody would be disturbed. We had a skirt wearing man here in town for several years. He also had a wedding dress. He had political reasons for wearing these outfits and he liked to tell everyone about them. We got used to him. He also handed out poetry written on scrolls. That was in the 80's-90's. Today I saw a very interesting young woman who had many tatoos and a half shaved head with blue braids on the other side. I thought, it must be spring! But, I can understand your reluctance to wear a skirt, Dparsons. You would have to have a good follow through act and it might distract from the gardening.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Roybird I like people like your skirted man. There was a 'Button Man' on Younge Street in Toronto in the 70s. He wore a long black great coatt covered head to toe with buttons with sayings on them. I read after he died, he was an excentric millionaire who liked to see how people would react to him in his getup. It made me smile.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes I too am all for more people like that, gentle eccentrics. Also, I am madly in favor of dancing what we do, whether in skirts or otherwise. Dancing goes with almost anything, IMO, somehow.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

If I couldn't sing and dance and laugh and love I could not be. No matter what, if you can do even one these things you will prevail. There are some tough times about us now; and the greatest thing we can do is love. Of course I'm dancing and scaring the crap out of the neighbours (snort).

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Does em good Im sure.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Once when I was on a bus in Chicago there was a woman laughing at everyone walking down the street. She would point at people through the window and laugh hysterically. I thought to myself that if I were to lose my mind that would be the way to go (instead of being miserable). You couldn't help but snicker.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh yes I agree, if I am going to be nuts at least let me be happy. One of my daily requests. ;-) I think it's helping.

But you know those laugh yoga groups? Where they do laughter as therapy and that? Something about that gives me the total creeps. I mean, yeah, laughter is therapy but do we have to be so serious about it?????? Takes all the fun out, IMO.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Plutodrive my maternal Grandma got dementia and stroked in her sleep. The last time I saw her she giggled at everything. I so love that memory. She passed away very shortly after that and although it was very hard on my mom and her brothers and sisters I think that was a great way to go. I hope I go laughing; laughing and singing would be even better for me. Go with Joy. My wish for all of us is Go with Joy.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Indeed.

I used to work with a lovely old woman named Pat who had strokes and after her penultimate one would respond to whatever happened by saying "Oh well I am sure it does not matter at all in The Larger Scheme Of Things," with a secret little smile on her face.......

She was a real queen, was Pat.

The strokes had crippled her enough she could not dance, but she sure did love her mariachi music.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

My grandma passed away two weeks ago. She had dementia too. She couldn't remember what day it was so she picked Sunday. It was her fave even though her friends wouldn't take her to church anymore. She didn't seem too sad on her last day from what I've heard. I don't think she could see the people around her but was looking at where she was headed. It was more of a joyous funeral though in the sense that she wasn't suffering anymore. On a lighter note...I can't believe how much food I ate that week! Grandma always ate a LOT.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

May she fare well where she goes, Plutodrive.

My mom's funeral was a celebration too -- she chose all her music for it in advance. ;-)

I'm a bit concerned right now cause my Aunt Lib, the surviving female elder at 94, just broke a hip and is in the hospital..... if she is going I may have to break a promise, she one time lined all us up in front of her, about 25 or so cousins, and made us promise to sing at her funeral. I don't think I can get back there, but I can sing from a distance!

She is a wonderful Being.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Nice thread to catch up on all. Thank you.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Plutodrive seems to me your Grandma did 'Go with Joy' and you recognize that I see. Kyla I will sing with you. I only hope I have people like you all to sing me with me so I 'Go with Joy' when the time comes. May we all be that lucky.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

The soul leaves the body like a schoolboy leaving the school door-- with great joy.

Some character in a Canadian movie said that. It took place at a lighthouse on the coast of Newfoundland or one of the other maritime provinces. Anyone know the name of that movie?

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Oh, and this is what would happen if you wore a kilt in Ennis, dparsons.

http://www.geocities.com/greg_pc/cnunder_kilt.html

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Thank you for that picante. You looked all day, didn't you! :)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Nice toosh shot picante.

Santa Fe, NM

Cute butt! I like laughing, dancing and also just sitting quietly. What I really love is tai chi and chi gong, I have to admit. I always feel better after I practice, even if I'm tired. Last night I did a short practice for an hour with two friends. One man had recently lost his father and then his 13 year old dog died on Monday. He was so much calmer afterwards and more relaxed. It's neat to see how it works. Of course, I think there are many practices that work that way. Thankfully.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Have you seen this yet? It made my day. Specially #30 ^_^

The 36 Rules of Life

1. Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.

2. Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

3. Going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.

4. Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

5. If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

6. My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance.

7. Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

8. A person who is nice to you but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.

9. For every action, there is an equal and opposite government program.

10. If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the trip.

11. Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of checks.

12. A conscience is what hurts when all of your other parts feel so good.

13. Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.

14. Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it.

15. No man has ever been shot while doing the dishes.

16. A balanced diet is a muffin in each hand.

17. Middle age is when broadness of the mind and narrowness of the waist change places.

18. Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.

19. Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

20. There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.

21. Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

22. By the time you can make ends meet, they move the ends.

23. Thou shalt not weigh more than thy refrigerator.

24. Someone who thinks logically provides nice contrast to the real world.

25. It ain't the jeans that make your butt look fat.

26. If you had to identify in one word the reason why the human race has not achieved it's full potential, that word would be 'meetings.'

27. There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'

28. People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.

29. You should not confuse your career with your life.

30. Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance.

31. Never lick a steak knife.

32. The most destructive force in the universe is gossip.

33. You will never find anybody who can give you a clear and compelling reason why we observe daylight savings time.

34. You should never say anything to a woman that even remotely suggests that you think she's pregnant unless you can see an actual baby emerging from her at that moment.

35. The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that deep down inside we ALL believe we are good drivers.

36. Your friends love you anyway.

Santa Fe, NM

O.K. First hard laughs of the day!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

I must say, I like #14. And as for #30, the best dancer is the one who's having the most fun. Dance was never meant to be serious. Not even tango.

dparsons, I remembered the kilt picture from the news when Hong Kong was transferred over. I have many friends who do Scottish dance, so it was a well-circulated picture. It took a 1-second search to find it again.

Reno, NV

LOL. 31 is wonderful advice:)

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I personally resemble #27.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Me too Kyla tee hee.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

OK picante.

#14 is true, #15 is not. I'm sure some man, somewhere has been shot while cleaning a dish. I will also say that the odds of experiencing adversity and/or violence is greater if you are sitting on the couch immediately after eating a dinner that you didn't cook.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.