Vine Seedlings, What do you have popping up?

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

What baby vines do you have?

Rosary Vine ( Ceropegia woodii )- my Rosary vine put out so many seed pod this year, I'm still waiting for them all to ripen.

Seeds came up in about 10 days
I should have taken new pics of these they have leaves now.

I also have but haven't take pictures of yet, Corkscrew Vine ( Vigna caracalla ), Black eyed susan vine (Thunbergi alata) no pics yet tho,
Started maypops about a month ago and nothing has popped up yet )-:, and have several other passion flower seeds to get started ( Thanks to LouisanaMark!!)
I need the maypops for the Zebra Longwing BF's anybody got any suggestions? I soaked in oj for 24 hours then sowed in seed starting mix. Was wondering if I should do them in vermiculte instead.

This message was edited Feb 22, 2009 6:06 AM

Thumbnail by mjsponies

Blue Pea vine (single) Clitoria ternatea

Have the double too but it hasn't come up yet.

Thumbnail by mjsponies

Pipe Vine A. trilobata
these came up 1 month and 5 weeks after sowing...........still waiting for the others.
I think I'll start a few more, and try them in vermiculite instead of seed starting mixture. But I'm glad I have these two for now!

Thumbnail by mjsponies
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Great thread! I'll post some pics soon.

I am having the HARDEST time making my Aristolochia germinate. What's the trick?

robcorreia,
When someone figures out the trick to Aristolochia I hope they let us know !! I did a sorta combination of stuff I read from Davesgarden, the person I got my seeds from and some research on the web. Soaking the seeds is one common thing among all that I read. I put my seeds in the fridge too, and the next batch I'm going to sow in vermiculite. I've had better success w/ the "touchy" seeds by sowing in vermiculite. Also everything I've read is at minimum 30 days to germination, and up to a year!! Yikes! ....I don't know if I can keep track of seeds that long. I started out w/ 50 A. trilobata seeds, sowed 10, traded 10/12 can't remember, and saved the rest. Out of the first 10 2 have come up, a week apart from each other. I'm going to start another 10, and vary the way I "pre-treat" them.
Thinking I might try the soaking in OJ, like for Passi's thread that I read about. (I've had less than stellar luck w/ them so far also) But I want these as host plants for butterflies ...and I want to make sure I have enough that the BF's don't wipe me out of them....so I'll do more in hopes of getting enough to keep the little critters fed. To beat that I'm also kinda new to starting stuff from seed. Always just bought a plant if I liked it. But I have more time now and I like the variety you can get by starting w/ seeds.
Please post your pics....I like the unusual...like the rosary vine...I've had it for about 7 years and this year it put out seeds pods. And they turned out to be really easy!! It's a beautiful hanging plant, and not one your likely to find just anywhere.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Put your FRESH aristolocia seeds in moist peat pellets and on heat - cover - mine germinated in 2 days! I have a covered heat mat to germinate all of my seeds.

Kay,
Where did you get your heat mat? Who makes it?
Thanks
mj

Jiffy Heated Greenhouse

Product Description
Greenhouse Kits Mini - Heated With Peat Pellets ``Jiffy 7``
Keeps growing media the ideal temperature. Contains heat mat, 72 Jiffy-7 36mm peat pellets, 11`` x 22`` reusable, recyclable plastic waterproof base tray, planting tray, and dome. Heat mat designed to reach optimal germination temperatures. Clear dome maint ains greenhouse humidity and temperature for healthier seedlings. 100% biodegradable peat pellets, made of Canadian sphagnum peat moss and wood pulp, expand with water to pot and soil in 1 for a rich, high-quality growing environment and can be planted di rectly in ground or larger containers to minimize transplant shock.

Product Details
Price From: $57.99
Manufacturer: Jiffy Products 1
Model Number: 5035/036
UPC Number: 033349410360

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I just sowed some A. and placed the seedtray on top of the cable box. We'll see if it works!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I just had a few Solanum seaforthianum pop up!
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31445/

That's a beautiful vine!! ummm.....gotta go look around and see where else I might be able to stick another vine..........

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL..I hear ya..I have vines..everywhere..

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

Randy, what is that rambunctious vine!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL...it is a cousin of the Beaumontia Grandiflora...it is Beaumontia Murtonni.

I have pictures of the Beaumontia flower here
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/rjuddharrison/5606/

the Murtonii will be a first time bloomer I think this spring..the flowers are wider but shallower than the Beaumontia.. and it is a rambunctious vine...you turn your head for a minute, and that guy has turned the other way like a snake!

LOL

Some of us will come and rescue you - give us your address and in May we will start our cross country savior mission!

And there is NOT an alternative motive there is there? Not that we would sneak into your back yard and steal any of your vines now would we????????// Maybe "Bigfoot' from the Chocolate Basil thread has migrated over here............ ;-) no I am NOT BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

An alternate bottom heat source is to put some Christmas tree lights in a Rubbermade container with a lid (put the lid on sideways so there is a gap on the front and back). Just make sure the container doesn't get too hot of course. Put the seed trays on top of the contianer. It's perfect!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I think I am a little slow this morning, haha! Do you have a picture of the X-mas light contraption? Sounds interesting but I'm having a hard time to understand the setup!

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I had a thread about it somewhere I think in the propagation forum. I don't have the picture on my laptop anymore bc I have switched computers.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Here's a link to the thread I started, and here is a picture of the Christmas light set-up.

Thumbnail by jlp222
New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

These are the vines I have already sprouted: Scarlett O'Hara MG, Grandpa Otts MG, two different versions of purple hyacinth bean (one has puple tint on back of leaves, the other doesn't), white hyacinth bean, mandevilla laxa (chilean jasmine), moonflower ( a stray in my bed from a seed I didn't catch). I think that's it so far. All except the moonflower were WSown. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/817187/

Oops, forgot the link.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I started some Cup & Saucer seeds on Feb 1st. Need to think about repotting & putting some sort of little trellis soon.

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Joanna, good job! I have never gotten those to grow.

I've looked at the Cup and Saucer vine..but I have soooooooooooo many vine seeds I was thinking what do I need w/ another vine.....???????????????
In any case I got to thinking (that's dangerous) I'd like some "mini" vines............any one got any suggestions??????????

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

How mini?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

ahhh! Now I get it! That's ingenious jlp222!

Mini vine: I am starting Asarina Scandens this season. It's supposed to be a very pretty "mini vine"...There is also Rhodochiton. Can even be used in hanging baskets...

How mini ? Well, tiny leaves,flowers and that can fit in small spaces........doesn't get over 5/6 ft ? or smaller even would be fun too, ummmm, wonder if you can "Bonsai" a vine?
I like the xmas light set up...umm,

A climbing Snapdragon......well, there's another on my want list, and I have the Rhodochiton on my want list too, but haven't come across it.
Where did you get seeds for the Asarina Scandens?

I have moon flower sowed but they haven't come up yet...I didn't know to soak the seeds so maybe I'll poke around the tray and if nothings happening get them up and soak. I have a Salvia that can be trained on a trellis or used as hanger also to sow. JM'g will be a first for me this year too, have a couple different varieties, but haven't started them yet.

This message was edited Feb 26, 2009 6:07 AM

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

You can keep Passionflower vines managable by pruning. Also clematis. Here is a picture of mine from last year. The trellis is about 5' tall.

Thumbnail by jlp222
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Oh yeah! Clematis is also a good choice for "mini" vines.

I got the asarina through a trade..I'm really addicted to vines, lol! What color are your moonvine seeds? My moonvine produced seeds in fall and they are WHITE! Is that normal?

Below, the very first jasmine to open this season! hummmm

Thumbnail by robcorreia

Moonvine is supposed to be white, blooms at night........and fragrant! Ok..I need to find the asarina.......on a quest now.
Been outside all day transplanting what was in the starter trays...Not comfortable for putting into the beds yet as we still could get a frost/freeze, but they were out growing the trays so had to do something in the mean time. But of course that means empty seeds trays and we know THAT just won't do. I've got night blooming Jasmine in a 6 in pot, Carolina jasmine grows wild here and is all over one of my pasture fence lines, Bleeding heart from a cutting that is really looking good and Claredendrom I forget which kind tho. Oh and a red Mandevilla (sp?) cutting too.
Off to look for that asarina...then back outside. Canna bed awaits...I neglected it last year and am paying for it this year.

http://davesgarden.com/products/ps/go/1939/ (source to buy seeds).

GreenerBeaner, here on DG, has it listed as available on her trade lists.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I meant...what color are the *seeds* of the moonvine? Are yours white too?

This is a pic of my moonvine last summer. The blooms last one night only, they're HUGE and smell divine!

Thumbnail by robcorreia
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I love Moon Flowers too!

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

ohhhhh, are the SEEDS white....well, now, I have two batches ( got both in trades) and yes both batches the seeds were white, but the first batch I after I let dry the white came off, the second batch is still drying and the white hasn't come off...makes me wonder now as the first batch is sown, and haven't come up. But I didn't soak them which I now think I should have done. At least to make them come up faster. ummm, may do another batch to experiment with. I have enough to do that.
Kay thanks for the link...I think I'll get some of these, and Yellow Clitora vine too..found that. I just don't know where I'm going to put them all!!!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

OK, white seeds, that's bizarre isn't it? Yes, you should soak them for a couple of days before sowing. Gotta tell you though, the I. alba seems to be a little finicky to germinate. I sowed those along with some regular morning glories (I. nil) and the Ipomonea nil came waaaaaay before the I. alba. Actually, only one I. germinated and I screwed up and killed the seedling!

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm starting moonflowers soon too, but somehow I misplaced the package. Oops. I started Rhodochiton too, but haven't had any luck with germination so far. Everything else has germinated, even some random stuff I got in the rare seed swap last year (I'm not quite sure what I'm even growing LOL), but no Rhodochiton. :-(

I grew Asarina erubescens and Asarina scandens last year, and finally cut them down in January. The hummingbirds loved Asarina scandens.They are starting to grow again, but since I have such limited space and soooo many more vines I want to grow, I might take those out to try something new. I have a lot of seeds from Asarina erubescens, if anyone wants to try this one. http://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/plant_display.asp?prodid=1176&account=22013448

edited to add link to plant

This message was edited Feb 27, 2009 12:04 PM

Sunny!
I'd love some seeds from the Asarina erubescens................what do you need????????
mj

Rare seed swap? Is there going to be another one?

New Braunfels, TX(Zone 8b)

I WSed some Rhodochiton and have one tiny little baby so far. I had wonderful success with moonflowers last year direct sown. Haven't started any this year, yet, but have had three come up volunteer that I have put in a pot until I decide where I want them this year. I put hollyhocks in their place, because they totally outgre the small trellises that I had them on. Will probably grow them along a fence this year. I really enjoyed them.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Nbgard, any tips for germinating the moonflower seeds?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.