May I ask for your advice?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I am so tempted by this:

http://davesgarden.com/products/market/view/5658/

I so love daylilies! and this does look like a rilly good deal --but I have no idea if they can grow around here. I don't remember seeing any last fall when I had my one chance to get a little glimpse of any local gardens. I imagine I could always container grow them, but I wanted to ask you all before going in this direction, do any of you grow daylilies? Anything prohibitive about this climate? Grew them in Santa Cruz back when, and also in NC, so....... miss them. But I don't know doodly-squat about them, really except they grow really easy in some places. That's true of pretty much anything I guess.

thanks in advance --

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I've looked them up in PF and as I remember they would do well in the dry West. Zonewise they should be fine. They are somewhat flexible on sun, probably with some variation between varieties. Unless your soil is extreme or they want too much water (doesn't specify in PF) you shouldn't have a problem. Find out info on growing conditions from the Nursery.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks -- I was just trying to look them up myself when I saw this..... (had not got very far tho). The nursery in question is offering a kind of grab bag deal, the price is very low, it sounds good (they are thinning, they say, to make room for new varieties......) but no guarantee of what type you will get.

I think I'll probably go for few.... the only thing I can imagine going wrong is if they do not do well in the kind of extremes of temp. conditions here......

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Some species I like all of them and some I'm selective with. At $1 each you can even lose a few if you don't like them. Look up the company in the garden watchdog too.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

thanks for the reminder to do that, I tend to forget..... I don't think they could send me a daylily I wouldn't like. But I guess ya never know, eh?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Then buy 2 dozen or so.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

that would be nice........ They are not in watchdog. But they did get one glowing feedback from someone..... and they say they are new to DG Marketplace but not new as sellers, so.

Corrales, NM(Zone 7a)

Wow, that is a great price. I think I would buy anything that flowered for $1!! LOL. Oh wait, that is why I am buried in seeds right now.

I am not picky about names just yet. I will have more time for being picky when I fill up my beds. : )

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Me too, Lissa, that is exactly where I am at. Let me get the basic cultivation of this place established and then I will be picky with the best of the pickiest!

I just ordered 5 -- which I think is the minimum they are offering...... cuz my gardening money is scraping into my other kinds of money a bit too far these days. Otherwise I would love to have ordered two or even three doz. at that price.

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

Go to Gilberth H. Wild and Son, Inc.
www.gilberthwild.com
They specialize in Daylilies and more. There are Daylilies that are evergreen and will grow in warmer climate only.

Another is Olallie Daylily Gardens

www.daylilygarden.com

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I have grown dayliles here in WA for more than 69 years. I did have for 14 years my own business Donna"s Lilies of the Valley, and sold all over the world, Dayllies, Iris, True bulb Lilies and Hosta. Then had to give it up when my hips wore out.

I myself, would be very reluctant to buy very many unnamed dayliies, unless I was able to see them in bloom. You should have very good luck growing them in your yard.

Donna

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I don't think you can beat the price. I am having a serious discussion with my daylilys this summer as some of them do not always flower every season. I'm probably going to have to lift them and do some major soil amendments every year to fix this and I don't have time soooooo I am probably going to get rid of the persnickety ones.

Corrales, NM(Zone 7a)

Wellll DN, .... if you are getting rid of ones that need a warmer climate....... I know of a happy little place in the Rio Grande Valley that would be a nice mild climate for them to live out their days. LOL. : )

I have 5 daylillies so far that were a gift from another DG. They are already putting up new growth this year.

I do have visions though of getting rid of all the rock in this triangle bed right by our front drive. We want to put up a flagpole, and I would like to have a whole daylilly bed out there.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, thanks everyone. Blomma, the reason I was so interested in this particular offer was actually the price, in combination with the fact that they sounded so knowledgeable. I will definitely look at those links -- but unless they are having a big sale right now probably will not buy anything just yet. And Donna, thanks for your experienced voice there too, I am encouraged!

Sadly the company I was looking at just let me know I missed the information in their offer that says they do not ship to California. So.........

But this is all very informative and just the kind of thing I need to know, so thanks again everyone........ Dahlia I hope your lilies start behaving for you. ;-)

Reno, NV

OH. That sucks Kyla. I'm tempted myself to check those out myself. Hmm. Wonder where I'd plant them.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh do check them out. I had a real good feeling about them, they feel like they know their stuff and really want to do this right. It is a great deal for the unpicky, whether temporarily unpicky or permanently unpicky.

They (the daylilies, not the unpicky) can live happily in containers.....

Reno, NV

Hehe. They look good but I'm feeling skiterish after the seed mess I'm dealing with. I'll have to think.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes I would too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.