I WILL Thump You on Your Head

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I recommend relocating the head to the western border of your property and the body to the eastern border of your property. I decline to make friends with grasshoppers until they get into some reasonable balance around here...

lol, doing my dastardly cartoon dog laugh again with a snort at the end!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have no feelings of cutieputootie for grasshoppers either. I would probably feed them to the robins if I had them in my garden.

I've got lots of bug eating birds in my yard not to mention a bug eating kittasaurus

for reasons only known to KC this hummingbird moth was spared, she sure looks serious though

Thumbnail by angele
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Good picture of the evil beast angele.

Reno, NV

Great kitty photo

Katlian- "well, so is snake venom and arsenic, but I'm not going to eat those either" LOL OMG! My husband says the same thing without the snake venom!

Santa Fe, NM

Dparsons, I figure if a person has to wear a haz-mat suit to apply the stuff it probably could be majorly toxic. On the other hand, I've seen candles that come with directions like : "Do not allow lighted candle to brush up against flammable materials." Nice cat picture, Angele!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, some people NEED those candle warnings, roybird. I had a friend once who liked to burn candles all over the place and also had a long haired cat who walked on tables and leaped about from furniture to furniture.

One day I got a phone call: "Kyla, when you come over don't be upset but Xian burned his tail, he had an unfortunate encounter with a candle. I don't THINK it got any skin but it looks funny......"

sheesh.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Um err the crazy ole cat burned all his whiskers off one side of his face when he was a powderpuff cuz he forgot that it was a NO thing. I was in the bath and he liked to play with the bubbles and whizzed by the candles too quick for me to catch him. Although he had been taught about candles, he was still too little to put danger before bubble fun. I have guilt.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Awwww, no guilt now, DN...... it is a problem caused by the fact that the entire world is really a cat toy and we just have not caught on yet. I am sure crazy ole cat has long since forgiven you. They know we are kind a slow on the uptake, us non-cat people who feed them.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Except he got stuck alot before his whiskers grew back because that's how they judge what they can fit into. He does seem to still luv me though so I hope he has forgiven me. Now he puts his paw up to the candles; "Back you fiend" so he did learn. Brutal lesson though in cat terms.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

but they did grow back........... My old Simon one time got Miracle Gro in his eye, I had no idea what it was til later, my landlady at that time left a baggie of it (the mixed up liquid) open in her open-door shed and he apparently sniffed it and tipped it onto his face. She was a slob and a half. Poor guy had great pain from that but no permanent damage. The emergency vet I took him to set me back over a hundred bucks I did not have. She didn't know what the prob was either but by the time we both quit messin with him he was mainly offended.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

There is a funny side to that Kyla cuz the crazy ole cat luvs Miracle Gro. He follows me around like a puppy and laps up all the spillage when I feed the containers. And yes they did grow back..... and he probably only remembers it as his own oops. I do laugh when we have partys and people ask why the crazy ole cat puts his paw up to the candles in the nooks that are near the floor. Of course he's rolling his eyes thinkin 'Stupid peoples, those things will burn off your whiskers'

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, tell him just not to get any in his eyes, is all.

that is funny tho about the paw to the candles..... ;-)

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

A jeweler friend of mine was inventorying hundreds and hundreds of wee jewelry parts, earring posts, etc. at year end inventory with all the boxes open and lids off. His cat strolled across the workbench, passing in from of the torch which was lit with a lazy gas flame with no oxygen, standard jeweler practice.

Except for the flaming cat in orbit around the room, of course. The cat lived, it took my friend a week to get all the jewelry parts collected and sorted again. The cat was never allowed in the workshop again.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

owie, Mulch! Owie!

Well, cats, they will do that stuff. sheesh.

Santa Fe, NM

Cats don't seem to be able to read. I wonder if Miracle Grow has fish in it?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

It does seem to have something attractive to them! I was thinking minerals, actually

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The crazy ole cat likes to lick soap too. They say the perfect diet for a cat is a mouse a day. I never knew mice were soapy. I shall consult Mickey (when I'm speaking to him again as I'm still ticked off about the chewed peat pots). Actually the real answer is most soap is made from beef fat eeewwwww.

Reno, NV

One of my kitties likes to lick Icy hot. An other one has a thing for cough drops. And the big boy loves anything sticky. Nero will lick all the emulsion off photos, chew the edges of envolopes to nothing more than sticky goo, and tear the tape off packing boxes:).

Silly kitty

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I've never believed that scientists have accurately determined all the substances needed by a cat and managed to get them into a bag of "Cat Chow." Cats supplement for what they need. I've found that they also like Blood Meal. I found a bag of it sliced open and I had to keep it in a box to protect it.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The crazy ole cat seems ambivelent to blood meal and I sure throw enough it around as one of the Spawn of Satan Tree Rat rituals.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Nice pictures, Kyla!

I don't know about cats & blood meal, but my dog will dig where I use bone meal.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Lisabees -- the photos are from Angele..... I don have no camera. :-( but try to make do with word pictures.

They are nice photos, that ole grasshopper has quite the personality!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Blood meal is sugar for dogs and so is bone meal. Though it is not purified enough for them to eat. Anthrax, Bubonic Plague, Coliform toxicity, Carcinogens, Hormones,......... All exist in the slaughter houses of our great country. I always compost my blood meal deep in pile and use the root fertilizer injector to get it into the soil fast.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Sofer,
That is useful to know!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Oops, sorry! Nice pics ANGELE!

Yuck Sofer, that is NOT nice to think about! I don't let my dog eat the bone meal regardless.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

But it's good to know.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

"If it causes cancer, it is not an option." Most excellent attitude, dparsons.
The EU's REACH chemical legislation is phasing out carcinogens and:

"While the final listing of substances of high concern is still being compiled, it will include:
* Class 1 and 2 carcinogens, mutagens and reproductive toxins (CMRs).
* Substances classified as persistent, bioaccumulative and toxic (PBTs).
* Substances classified as very persistent and very bioaccumulative (vPvB).
* Endocrine disruptors.
* Other substances causing probable serious and irreversible effects to humans or the environment. "

What seems to be missing on this list is the neurotoxins. I suppose they are included in the last sentence.

If we were to phase out neurotoxins in the US, we'd have to stop adding fluoride to the water supply. But then, they never fell for that scam in Europe.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

And of course this does nothing to address the question of as yet unknown effects, particularly effects from combinations of substances. Which is a question agencies such as the ones in charge of these efforts do not like to have mentioned. Because they don't know the answer.

Santa Fe, NM

Good information, Sofer and Picante. Kyla, I like the point you make about how we don't yet know how all these substances interact with each other and with us. There is a lot of information we don't have. And, I think you are right, it is because no one really knows yet.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes and therefore the Precautionary Principle is a good rule of thumb. Rather than assume that, because there is no proof of harm therefore it is okay and safe, be cautious and assume that, as we have learned that so very many substances we believed to be harmless were in fact destructive, use care, do not use materials and substances you are not quite sure of how they interact and interplay with the living systems you are introducing them to.

boy that was too long a sentence I must need more coffee. ;-)

Santa Fe, NM

Me, too, need more coffee! I think what we've been discussing is one of the major problems in our time. Our ability to discover and make new stuff has outpaced our ability to figure out if we really need the stuff at all and what to do with it later when the better new stuff comes out. Argh!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

It's self-perpetuating, what you said, roybird. When it came out that PCBs are so toxic that they were banned, industry had to find something else to use for insulation/fire retardant, etc. So now we have PBDEs, which were put on the market without adequate testing, just like the PCBs. They are also endocrine-disrupting.

Industry is stubbornly resistant to the Precautionary Principle. They hate it. And they run the regulatory agencies. Wall Street thinks this is normal, putting the fox in charge of the henhouse.

.... and as we eco-friendly mulch to conserve water and protect our plants let's also remember our ground-nesting bees!

Santa Fe, NM

Politicians also do that, Putting the fox in charge... I'm being redundant here. As you said, a self-perpetuating situation. I know we are not supposed to discuss current events here, but this situation has been going on long enough so as not to be especially "current ". I hope we can be intelligent and good-hearted enough to be able to figure out a better way to live on this planet.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

And soon...

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I think everybody knows the better way with respect to these chemicals. Some people choose to put their fat wallet first and live in either denial or conscious disregard for the consequences.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

We need to learn to consume less and as we did in the past fill our lives with our own production. Then we know when the squash had bird poop on it.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Sofer,
That is for sure! Tomorrow I am going to a Women of the Dirt meeting. We are a group of women who work on growing healthy nutritious food without hazardous chemicals, some with commercial operations. Most do livestock as the dominant interest but a few of us are more into the gardening end of things. All of us want more quality local food.

And it is potluck so I will have an interesting locally grown lunch too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.