I WILL Thump You on Your Head

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

"Women of the Dirt" - Love the name! Sounds like a great group.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

It is, but I do not get to attend the meetings very often. Tomorrow is only thirty miles away, so it is a close one.

Reno, NV

It amuses me how many of the "new" ideas are really old ideas coming back into vogue. I read a self reliance book that talked about the need to be careful of chemicals, about raising food costs, and the desire to leave the hectic cities and find better or peaceful lives by going back to our roots.

It was writen in the 1940s. Lol.

Still an interesting read (http://www.ki4u.com/webpal/b_recovery/2_farm_recovery/ftpfiles/the_have_more_plan.pdf)

Oh wow, what a treasure duchess! So far I've just skimmed it of course but thanks so much for sharing it
"No butter today" sign is something I won't be surprised to see again.
as an aside... I got my lettuce in the ground yesterday and they have doubled in size!

Reno, NV

Go lettuce! I've lettucelings but but still tiny. Trying to get the hang of how early cool stuff goes out. When it warms up here it really warms.

Ya. I think there's going to be some interesting changes in the way we deal with food. At some point disel shipping just isn't going to make sense. I read that whole plan and it's really good info. Tho I kind of wanted to cry looking at what you could buy a house and land for;)

rent from $15 to $100 a month!!! pay to match I'm sure but I hope our pay doesn't head that way without rents going there too. Scary I hope my home stays worth what I still owe on it!

Santa Fe, NM

"Women of the Dirt" is a great name. I think we are going to be paying more attention to where our food comes from and how it is grown, if we aren't already. We don't grow many vegetables at my house but we have apricot, sour cherry, plum, mulberry, service berry, grapes and currants. These don't always have a great year, tho. Especially if we are having a drought and/or late freezes. We do put up fruit every year because we know other people with fruit trees and we share or trade. We keep an eye on the farmer's market and sometimes put up or freeze produce when it is plentiful. We are also eating out less and when we do, I often eat vegetarian because of the unhealthy way most of our meat animals are raised and processed.

Reno, NV

I hear ya Roybird. I'm actually working toward ediable landscaping. So many veggies are really pretty and of course I have no problem mixing them with flowers. I'd like to put in a dwarf fruit tree this years and have been keeping my eyes open for a potted eureka lemon. I love lemon.

Last year I did grow enough to freez a few things. We're on the last of the frozen chard and the frozen herbs have saved soooo much money this winter. We still have some peach butter I made when the peachs were increadable and cheap. It's very satisfying.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I was at my daughters house Wed PM and just talking about things. I brought up the fact that my daughter and her family can live quite comfortably at our home in Montana because all of our soils are compost enriched. They currently produce dramatic plants and flowers. If our economy gets terrible she can move there and eat well with chickens and vegetables grown on 1 1/2 acre of perfect soils. I think it made her relax on what is going on. We own our house and lots of red meat around wanting to walk through the fenced-in area. It should be quite simple with our orchards and raised beds to eat heartily.

Reno, NV

My house has already devalued. But the prices were we bought weren't too bad. I kind of figure that I didn't buy the house just to sell it so it's ok. In the course of 30years is not nearly what I would have spent into renting. And I have dirt to play in now:)

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Interesting document duchess. The title is reminescent of a Thoreau chapter. "Why I went to the Woods ..."

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, can I be an honorary Woman of the Dirt? Please? I so love that name!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think that is a wonderful organization. If only there were more of them. I certainly qualify as I am a 'mud muffin'. Seriously I wish more people were more organicly inclined. I have a HUGE worry about weatherproofing the fence this summer if the wasps re-habitat in it. They are very tolerant of me but I don't think they will let me weatherproof over their door without serious concern and I refuse to kill them. I discovered their new house this summer when I was making the blue nook. Suddenly it was quite buzzful because I was pretty close to the nest. We discussed it and all was good. All the bee companies I emailed just say to bomb them :( I cannot do that with colony collapse syndrome being such a serious issue now. Maybe I will just leave that panel. I'm hoping they move. They do move around the garden so I have all my fingers and toes crossed.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Ooh Kyla, maybe we can start our own chapter.

My college boyfriend used to laugh that I had a dirt professor and a weed professsor and a fire professor.

Duchess, I highly recommend Stark Borthers bareroot trees. I bought a pie cherry 2½ years ago and it has tripled in size. DH was rather skeptical about the "stick" that I recieved but we've had a nice crop of cherries off it already.

Santa Fe, NM

Our house is worth more than we paid for it but less than it was supposedly worth a few years ago. Duchess, we have always had the attitude that our house is where we live and not something we expect to turn in to cash. I understand what you mean. I'm just thankful we have a place that we can afford. What I would like is more garden space! D.H. and I are thinking about putting in more grapes and an arbor where our old plum trees are dying out. I think the grape vine we already have kind of moved the plums out of it's way. So, it must be a good spot for grapes.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Kat I am all for that. Maybe "Women of Dirt" is the type of outfit that can grow virally.

Santa Fe, NM

"Women of Dirt" can grow organically!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I "grow" wasps in my house. Yes I occasionally get bit but it is nothing that hurts. But you should see the death and obliteration of the aphids and white flys. There is no other effective principal as effective.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

I've been hoping for wasps, but so far we've only had yellowjackets for one summer. They didn't make a dent in the whiteflies/leafhoppers that inhabit the Virginia Creeper.

So how would we attract wasps, Sofer? Or would it be better to go for more bees?

Dangit, I never had a dirt professor. That's my trouble. I was reading Molière instead.

Julie

BTW: "Then we know when the squash has bird poop on it". I'm nominating that one for the Great Book of Quotes.

Santa Fe, NM

I am visualizing the Women of the Dirt carrying shovels, rakes and other implements. All in straw sun hats and overalls. A "no nonsense" look. The Garden Brigade.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I think you should attract both. We primarily have solitary bees so I can only provide habitat to get large numbers. But Wasps, yellow jackets are in my life very passive creatures until late summer when they move from bugs to fruit and meat. I have observed yellow jackets buzzing around a Wentworth viburnum that has a small Aphid like growth on it and the wasps stopped and looked at them every 3 minutes. That's when I put up with their sting because they eat a ton of aphids in June through Aug. Then they leave eating insects and go to meat and fruit. (and stinging)

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Reno, NV

Ohhh. But I like nonsense. I'll just have to put something nonsenseical on my hat:).

Katlian- thanks for the recomendation. I was actualy looking at Stark because they seem to have good prices and selection.

I'm not a huge fan of virgina creeper any more. Found out I react to the sap and berries. Not a fun thing to find out. Owwww.

Sofer- your braver than I. I never hurt the visiting wasps but do not let them build houses.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Three more places with great fruit trees are:

Raintree: http://www.raintreenursery.com/
Bay Laurel Nursery: http://www.baylaurelnursery.com/
Trees of Antiquity: http://www.treesofantiquity.com/

I have purchased from Stark which, I agree is slightly cheaper, but I find the three above provide better quality than Stark. IMHO. Anyhow, you might want to check these out.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Okay, this is getting serious. First Mulch went missing for days, then she came back, then Dahlia went missing, and now, Mulch, who was last sighted heading off for a Women of the Dirt meeting, is missing again!

I was hoping for a Women of the Dirt report...... ???

but no, instead they tempt me with trees. *sigh* I was just fantasizing, too, about what kind of potted tree I could put on my deck.... I want two, actually, I really do, I really want a bay laurel tree. And I want a citrus tho I don't know if there is one that would winter here, but I can do research, oh yes I can!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Wish you were here, Kyla. I just stopped in for a minute at Santa Fe Greenhouses and found bay laurel trees on sale for $16.98. I didn't buy one, though, because I have always heard that California bay leaves don't taste as good as turkish ones. I don't know if that is true, but I have wild bay laurel at my Mississippi farm and when I crush the leaves they don't smell much at all. The Turkish ones are very fragrant.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh! Thanks for the wish!!!!!

I one year sent my mom for Christmas a wreath of bay leaves made from a California bay laurel tree. Now, I do know it was grown in California but I do not know for certain if it was Lauris nobilis or some other thing. What I know for sure is, I sent her that wreath about, oh, well, around 20 years ago. I still have a little jar of leaves from that thing, mom passed in '04 and there were still some in her kitchen, I still use them. They are I will admit beginning to lose a bit of potency but my gosh.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I order bay leaves from Penzeys and they are wonderful. Maybe I am just picky. I have always admired those bay laurel wreaths, myself.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

The soil makes a difference too Pajarito. I've read more than one complaint about bland herbs in rich, moist soil.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You may be right. It seems to be true of chile.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Do you suppose Dahlia was hit by one of those storms and her power and/or phone lines are out? I sure hope not.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Likely its overcelebration. Or a storm came by and she went nuts and hopped a plane to somewhere tropical.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Maybe the dahlias have taken her to their secret underground world to reward her for her diligent care of Canadian dahliahs.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Ok, I am back. Unfortunately I missed the Women of the Dirt meeting as I got sick. Bummer. I am amused at your imaginings of what they look like, as you are actually fairly accurate there. The group has more new members. It is a great bunch in that people trying something new, like their first milk cow, have plenty of knowledgeable people as a support group and information resource.

About three men want to join so there is talk of becoming People of the Dirt. I don't know what they will decide, People of the Dirt would be fine with me.

One of the women took a spinning class and has gone a bit crazy with it. Here is an excerpt from one of her emails to me. "I made a yarn with my brown Shetland I call "Bad Economy Yarn". It's thick and thin, lots of loop holes, accented with pink mohair (pepto bismol) blobs with a little fake shredded money thrown in!"

I think Dahlianut needs a sweater made from that stuff.

I'm glad you are back mulchmania but so sorry you missed your meeting. Are you feeling better now?

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Thanks, Angele, not great yet but definitely better.

Reno, NV

Paja- I'm going to go drool on the those tree sites now:)

Mulch- Mentaly sending soothing tea.

One of my aunts spun wool and had sheep. My mum saved up all of the supper soft undercoat hair from my sisters dog and sent it to her, more of a curiousity than anything. Next thing we know we had a lovely ball of malamute dog yarn! The hat my sis had was beutiful but always smelled a bit like dog when it got wet:)

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Mulch, I've been wondering... That house in Ennis with the umpteen g'zillion irises-- do they still have all those irises? I used to walk by and gawk.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

If it was the place on First Street you are referring to, the elderly couple passed away and the house has been torn down. No one is gardening there at all right now. ;-(

Thanks for the tea, Duchess!

Reno, NV

Very welcome.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey, Mulch, glad to see you back.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.