The Bitterroot (Lewisia rediviva) - Montana State Flower

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ok Montana folks this is your state flower and I know nothing. I saw this in Garden History today and I need to know more.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Plus which we need pictures. I just spent a lovely interlude in the Native Plants forum looking at the Native Plants in t he Wild thread, with some of the usual suspects posting. (You know who you are.)

Thanks!

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

They are gorgeous flowers when they bloom, on a quite insignificant looking little plant. They like dry high altitude rocky locations so we mostly find them on top of mountains. I have a friend who owns the top of a nearby mountain and I go photograph them in June if they bloom. They do not always bloom very much, depending on rainfall in the spring.

I will dig up some photos later, but it will be a busy day so probably not until tomorrow.

Deer Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

Yes, they are gorgeous...I know of an area that's somewhat loaded with them on the way to our cabin...would like to ck them out this spring, but beings that I have to run the greenhouse/garden center at that time makes it a bit difficult to get up there to photograph them. I do know that they're not very keen on transplanting and can be difficult to get growing and such. The vast majority of the plant is underground and there has been limited success with folks attempting to pot grow them and offer them for sale, but nothing on a large scale. It's like a lot of the mountain wildflowers, they have to have the right conditions to grow - soils, altitude - and then it's best to leave them where they are and enjoy them that way - but take loads of pictures. I'd love to have bear grass growing in the yard, but they need the soils and altitudes above 6,000 feet to do their business.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Here is one I had in a pot last summer (picture was taken in May). I moved it into the ground in the fall, I hope it blooms for me again.

Thumbnail by lisabees
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, thank you! That is lovely, Lisabees..... Nice ta meetcha, Bitterroot. ;-)

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Here is L. rediviva on a gravelly hill top in northern Nevada.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/K4nJJK1WY-2Nxsb2xcvDiA?authkey=Gv1sRgCJbOkJuJttqP8gE&feat=directlink

The leaves are usually gone by the time the flowers open.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Well that is just beautiful! I guess I should have specified, mine is not Rediviva but a hybrid.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Is yours the sunset strain Lisabees? I have one in my front yard but it hasn't had many flowers on it yet.

Reno, NV

Wow. Very cool plant.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Yes, I believe mine is the Sunset strain.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I grew a few different lewisias from seed and promptly killed them by moving them into the desert bed when they were too little :( But I did not try the Rediva which I will try now cuz it is prettiful and the Montana state flower. This company has seeds ^_^ http://www.horizonherbs.com/

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I had one growing in a pot and it was doing great until I accidentally knocked it off the bench and it landed upside down. It never recovered, poor thing.

I will still try to dig out some photos, trying to get caught up here and everywhere in my life.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

There, I knew I had a Lewisia photo somewhere. It's not rediviva, it's cotyledon. Cotyledon is what they sell in the nurseries here. I don't know how you can get your hands on a rediviva or a tweedyi.

Thumbnail by picante
Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Yeah Dahlia, you haven't been abducted, at least not permanently.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

'Sunset Strains' doesn't go dormant in my experience, and from reading about it, so your summer dormant lewisia would seem to be some other cultivar?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh my a Dahlia sighting! DN we been missing you....

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have been a busy, busy girl. Dahlias are awakening ^_^ and then I said I would do a seed harvesting talk so had to work a bit on that and there are tomato seeds that must be planted and then I got a 24 hour bug and then the baby seedlings got fungus gnats (eek! eek! eek!) and now I'm back (whew!)

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

well that explains it for sure. I don't think I want to know about fungus gnats..... Glad you're back. ;-)

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Wheweee, Dahlia. It's rough when you and the babies all get sick!

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Well, hope the fungus gnats are kaput now. We all need to quit getting sick.

Reno, NV

I'm blaming the sick on the crazy weather. Last week, beutiful. Today, lots of snow outside the window.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Fungas gnats beasties are still with us :( I'm not going to be able to move these babys into the greenhouse methinks until they are more established and I can let them dry out :( Hopefully I won't lose too many of them (sniffle, reaching for tissue).

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Hey Dahlia, do you ever put sand on your soil to keep the fungus gnats out? The office next to ours was having a serious fungus gnat problem until I showed them that trick.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Haven't tried that but scuse me while I race to the garden shed for sand.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

If you smooth out the top of the soil and add about inch of sand on top it will keep the adults from laying eggs in the soil. The sand dries out fast and they can't burrow through it. It does make it a little harder to tell when they need water though and the eggs and larvae that are already in the soil will still emerge. You can flush the soil with hydrogen peroxide diluted with water (1 to 10 ratio) to kill the larvae in the soil.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm already doing the hydrogen peroxide treatment so WHOOO HOOO looks like HISTORY for fungus gnats.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.