It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

Lobelia - transplanting seedlings

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I started some lobelia sapphire and seeded it way too thick. Do I put one seedling per pot or a few per pot?

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

What I normally do is sprinkle a bunch on seeds in one small container to germinate them, like you did. Then when they get at least 1 set of true leaves, transplant one seedling to each hole of a 6 pack, then when it's time, harden that 6 pack off, then transplant a couple into their final container or spot in the garden.

(Zone 6a)

I usually just leave them in a clump. Do you know if they're supposed to be pinched?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I start mine in plug trays in November and plant them out in Dec. I always put several seeds in a cell. Don't pinch them, they will branch out all by themselves. Down here in the deep south the grow best in containers - I have no clue why that happens.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Those are beautiful. What kind of lobelia is that with such big flowers?

Here's my Chia Pet. Definitely a but too thick

Thumbnail by joannabanana
(Zone 6a)

Hmm...maybe mine were to close and thats why they never seem to branch........the seeds can be hard to sow because they're so small. I think dust is bigger :)

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I do not know which variety of Lobelia, but, I suspect it was Riviera.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

They are GORGEOUS

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Yep that one above is dandy - from Epcot - Disney has the bucks.

I use many plants of lobelia every winter - I wish it grew year round.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

This year I am trying this border at one of my clients. It is not doing very well. I am only there one day a week and she refuses to water even when they are wilting - because of the drought we are having.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

This year the lobelia has been very slow at all my jobs>

(Zone 6a)

Those are so pretty Dale! What do you do to keep the lobelia so full and lush??

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Steven,

Lobelia like moisture, so I set the irrigation for every other day. I also use a generic Osmocote (time released) fertilizer which I am very generous with.

(Zone 6a)

Thanks Dale :) Do you grow them in sun or shade?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Part sun is best, I am in a hot climate.

I would think yours would need 1/2 - 3/4 day sun, your climate is cooler.

I don't know for sure, but, I am guessing they won't make it thru a summer - unless you live in a maritime climate, like Seattle or San Francisco.

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

joannabanana and SW - you have got to separate them when they get a couple leaves or they will not grow as well. You have to be cruel and throw more out than you save.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I grow lobelia every year on my balcony and my climate is extremely dry with lots of wind. They do take a lot of water, so I water every day unless it's cold or rainy which doesn't happen much here. Here's one from October 28, 2008, after two hard freezes. If I don't water faithfully they won't last that long. But now that I know they'll last all summer if I water faithfully.

Edited to say that this is Blue Moon lobelia.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2009 5:10 PM

Thumbnail by revclaus
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I first fell in love with trailing lobelia when i was a teenager at Tanglewood in the Berkshires -- Western Massachusetts. It is cooler there and less humid and they looked great all summer. This was before the days of moisture crystals and I suspect that had a fairly careful landscaping staff. It was, however, pretty much in full shade, and that's what I've always done with mine. I still can't get it to last all summer looking as beautifully -- I'm bound to let it dry out or go away for the weekend when we have a heat wave or something. Sometimes it revives a little in fall but not always.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I grow mine in partly shady conditions. Too much sun and it's toast!

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I just put some of those little tiny seeds into a window container. Hope they'll come up.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Wow, I kind of wish I hadn't seen this thread! I decided not to sow lobelia this year because they are such a pain in the neck to transplant - so tiny and all. Now I'm looking at these gorgeous pictures and wishing I hadn't been so lazy! Maybe I'll have to buy a few from the nursery just for a few container plantings....

Beautiful pics - thanks for sharing!
Dee

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Dee, I have found that it is imperative to buy lobelia BEFORE Mem. Day weekend. After the middle/end of May it is either all sold out or potted up into mixed containers.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Carrie, I guess I'll have to make a push to get to the nursery earlier than usual, me being such a procrastinator. Actually, I've found lately that more and more stuff is being put out earlier and earlier at the garden centers. I saw geraniums at the beginning of April (and we had snow after they were put out!) and last year saw chrysanthemums in June! Granted, this was at the grocery store and not a garden center, but it's kind of like seeing Christmas decorations being pushed in August!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm terrible at starting plants early and just sow them in the containers that I want them in and see what happens. If they don't take in one I'll move some of the lobelia from the pots that did sprout.
The first one I planted was Crystal Palace--liked the reddish foliage--I sowed the seeds in early May and by mid to late June had nice full flowering plants. I did water often as they are on a concrete patio near my red brick apt. building so there is a bunch of heat. I didn't plant any last year so maybe I will this year:)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yeah, that's often my technique - almost kind of like winter sowing in situ!

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I have an overabundance of lobelia. Does anyone plant it in the ground outside of Florida?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

It doesn't do well in the ground in our hot humid summer - it just rots. If you spray Lobelia with chemicals/fungicide it is possible to keep it going.

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

Dale, can I ask you about the alyssum in your photo posted on March 7? There are 3 clumps showing in that pot, do you remember, are there just 3 plants there, or more? Do you pinch it? Mine never looks that full.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

There were 5 separate clumps in that pot. I use time release fertilizer, a generic Osmocote, that makes a huge difference and I am very generous with it - I use 5 times what they recommend with no ill effects.

Once I plant something it is on it's own. I never pinch, but, I know Alyssum needs lots of sun to be full.

It is Coleus season here in the deep South>

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Lots of questions answered here! I used to grow lobelia in the UK in the ground no probs, however moving to Japan's hot and humid climate they only last until late spring. Containers for me next season! Love all the photos, I've really missed them here.

Thanks all for sharing,

pajonica

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Where I am Lobelia starts to decline very fast around now-Mid July. It melts in our summer heat and humidity like Dale's does. We can replant it in November and get a good 9 months out of it.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

9 months is a long time for any annual.

Up in San Francisco, where it stays cool year round, it is a short lived perennial. In window boxes I have seen it hang down over a foot.

This a photo from the Marina Dist. in SF. It is very old, from a slide that I had put on disk. It did not 'translate' very well. It is impatiens and lobelia. I will show you anyway>

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Dale, that window box is gorgeous! Funny how some people would turn their noses up at two such "common" flowers, but they really do provide some incredible beauty, don't they?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Very nice, Dale! Our long, cold, damp spring summer was heaven for the lobelia! They loved it. Now it's hot and muggy; they're shriveling.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's a few things that I did with the lobelia. 1st time to plant a hanging bag

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Little old wheel barrel

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Window Boxes

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

mixed pot

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

and a wire basket