Gardening with Texas Native Plants & Wildflowers, part 17

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello Everybody!!!
Would you like to join in a discussion about growing and propagating native Texas plants?
Our native plants are beautiful. I am sure many of you have them in your garden. Let us share what we have experienced and learn from each other.
Your Friend;
Josephine.

To reach the previous threads click here; http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/778893/

The picture is of my patio in June, I am so tired of winter I thought it would be refreshing.
The flowers are Carolina Phlox, which I love.
Josephine.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Josephine, do your Carolina Phlox do well in planters in the shade?

Not any more, when the shade was lighter it was o.k. but now it gets mildew, so i had to move it to a sunny location, and I wish I could have it there on the patio, it smells so good.

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

I love the relaxed kitty cat! :-)

Carla

Thank you Carla, that is our Angel who adopted us many years ago. She used to live 8 houses down the street, but her family got another cat, and she just would not have it, so she went looking around and decided she wanted to live with us.
She would not leave kept begging to let her in, we took her back to her family many times, but she just wouldn't stay it was February and very cold and she made herself a warm bed in the compost.
So we asked them and they said o.k. gave us her papers and everything. She is a very special cat, has all kinds of neat habits and routines, she is laying here by my computer right now.
Josephine.

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

Isn't that amazing! Funny how a cat will decide who it wants to live with and insist on being adopted! Cats have a sixth sense about us. I often tell David we need to remove that sign on the road that tells cats in need where to go, but it's invisible, so we can't do anything about it. We just laid one cat to rest last week who at a time in the past saw that sign. Poor baby must have had an accident. He disappeared and a day later we found him with his rear legs paralyzed. So we had him put to sleep.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I remember seeing the Phlox lining the garden bed a few years back. So beautiful there and in the containers. Definitely a lovely idea to "borrow".

Yes, cats are very special Linda.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Anna thank you about the phlox, I am hoping that it will do well in full sun on the slope free of mildew, of course I will have to water more, but that is o.k.
Josephine.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I remember this picture from a couple of years ago, too! I might borrow this idea for my back patio.

Yes, I hope it works for you, I now have Brazos Penstemon, Coneflowers and Blue Mist flower.
They are just beginning to grow right now, they are very nice too and good for butterflies, but I miss the scent.

North, TX

I would love to learn some growing native tips!! Here's the first flowers I saw blooming this February, a native flower; Spring beauty, Claytonia virginica flowers are about 1/2" across. The flowers close at night and on rainy or cloudy days like today! These are amazing flowers because each one is different, yet the same, the white flowers have pinkish colored striping on each petal.

Those are lovely, it looks like you have the perfect habitat there in East Texas, so many lovely flowers native to that area, I wish you could cone to the East Texas swap so we could meet.
Here is the link to the thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/945176/
Josephine.

North, TX

Trout lily, Erythronium albidum looks pretty flowering beneath the deciduous trees.

I wintersowed some purple coneflower seeds, directly sowed outside last Oct. but don't see any signs of them sprouting yet? Should they be?

Oh my goodness! Trout lilies, that is wonderful, did you know that it takes seven years from seed to flower and then they only bloom once? They are to be treasured indeed.
It is probably too early for the coneflowers to come up in your area, but who knows so many things can happen.

North, TX

No I sure did not know that about the Trout lilies. Thank you for that special information.

May 16th? That should be do-able. LOL I am going to work hard on that because I would enjoy meeting ya'll too! Thank you for the link, I'll be in touch once I can confirm. I'm not sure I'm confident about making a commitment on swaping plants though?

Remember the plants are just the frosting, the cake is meeting each other and having a great time together, so please don't worry, there are always lots of people with extra plants that they will be happy to give away.
Here is a link to the trade thread, you can check my list and ask for whatever you like.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/957655/

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

allwild818 - You're welcome to anything I have available on my list as well....no need to bring anything in exchange. You'll see firsthand how much fun it is, while meeting new friends. hope you get to come!

Lee

North, TX

Thank you Lee! And Josephine! That is very generous of both of you. Almost sounds to good to be true LOL.

I posted this in the wildflower forum and then I thought, I should have posted here. A flowering Dogwood is what I'm pretty sure this is. I was saying that I would like to propagate this tree if possible? It's hiding at the back edge of the property out of sight. Does anyone have any tips or advise?

I have never propagated a Dogwood, but I believe they make seed, if not you could try rooting a cutting from the new spring growth.
Josephine.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I've successfully "air-layered" some dogwood before. I remember that patience was necessary.....the root formation took longer than I was use to for other "woody-stem" plants...but it worked!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

My Brazos Penstemon is just starting to bloom. Yayy! I'll take photos of it when it does. I took your advice last year, Josephine, and sprinkled the seeds around, and sure enough, this spring I have more plants! Hopefully I'll have some to share next year. :-)

Excellent Marylyn, I look forward to seeing the pictures, they are such adorable plants.
Josephine.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I have about 5 blossoms in stages of development on this Red Columbine - given to me by Linda last year's RU ! Isn't it an unusual, yet beautiful flower?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Josephine, my Prairie Nymphs (Herbertia lahue) are bloomin' too....they're still in my greenhouse, so the warmer temps may have triggered an earlier blooming.

Oh my, those are beautiful Lee, I sure am looking forward to my Prairie Nymphs.
Your Columbine is beautiful and very healthy, I can't decide which I like best, the gold or the red.
Josephine.

North, TX

Oh, I am in agreement those are gorgeous I just love the look of Columbines and those Prairie Nymphs are very delicate looking-pretty, pretty!

This plant caught my eye from a distance this morning. I don't think I have run across such a plant during my many ventures thru plant files? Maybe someone here knows? They are growing beneath the trees in the woods along with the trout lilies.

North, TX

Each plant looks like an umbrella and underneath the umbrella is a bulb, unopened.

I think it is Mayapple, but I have never seen the actual plant, very neat.
http://wildflower.org/gallery/result.php?id_image=7089
Josephine.

North, TX

Sure enough is Josephine! You have ID'd another plant for me!

I definitely need to get to that E.Tx. swap to meet you because I think you need to get to my place asap and help me figure out whats growing here! lol. The funny thing is I keep getting distracted by the natives from planting that herb garden I want. It's a good thing though, I just love all the native plants and wildflowers.

Trenton(close to), TX(Zone 8a)

A surprise for me today. I have a bluebonnet bloom from a reseed. I planted 5 plants last spring, Today I can find three plants that volunteered.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

If you're able to come to the Roundup....would you be able to bring some seed from the Mayapples? I'd like to try & get some started. Would be great! Lee

I love them too, I think you can tell, very cute bluebonnet.

North, TX

Okay Lee, that's a deal. It says in the plant files to collect the seedhead/pod when the flowers fade. I think they should be ready before May 16th.

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

Spring is here, that's for sure! Nice pics! I'm still waiting on bluebonnets to bloom.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Blubonnets blooming is definitely a sign that all is well in the seasonal world!!

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

None of my Bluebonnets have come up Wildcat & there are a few areas around here just sparsely blooming with them. I hope to get out soon to photograph them.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7b)

My neighbors field of bluebonnets are coming up! What a sight - just a little envy. ;)

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

When we re-landscaped our yard almost 10 years ago, I thought about putting a wildflower meadow on the 1/2 acre on the other side of our creek. Paul was saying he'd like to have a little flagstone patio to one side with a couple of chairs, and the landscape architect mentioned that with the wildflower meadow we'd need to be on the lookout for snakes. The meadow idea died a quick death. I hope there are still some bluebonnets blooming after the 15th when I get a chance to drive into the country.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.