Iowa Units and Tasting of Weird Foods

Reno, NV

We drifted over here on a random tanget from, wait, I'll be right back cause I forgot the link:)
(http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/954762/).

I hope that works.

This message was edited Mar 9, 2009 2:23 PM

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Iowa Units may not appreciate being called random tangents.

Then again, that may make them preen in the mirror!

So, okay, my dad had a can of chocolate covered baby bees someone gave him as a gift and he took great pleasure in letting it sit on the kitchen counter for literally years while we kinds periodically begged him to open it so we could taste chocolate covered baby bees. He would get a gleam in his eye and say, "Oh, one day, but not yet."

I don't know what ever happened to it.

Notice I did not mention Mormon crickets.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Due to some strangeness in starting the new thread continuation (which was really long overdue anyway) Dparsons has a post over on the old one AFTER the link to this one. Just so we do not lose his cogent and concise thinking, I shall quote it in entirety here.

"I think the 39 system is good CMoxon. I'm not sure I would call them Iowa units though. On a 39 scale, Iowa is a 1 or a 2. Iowa is so unweird as to be weird by lack of weirdness. I think Montana units are more fitting. Montana is about a 32. This leaves some room at the top for some really extreme weirdness and gives us a good high mark that everyone can observe and use for comparison."

Montana is now preening itself.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Thank you mulch. Although, you only beat NM by 4 points.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Well, that is only because my sister in law moved to Las Cruces when she retired. She is an amazing woman who definitely raises the weird quotient wherever she goes.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I appreciate those points; as a matter of fact, while dparsons was posting them I was thinking, gee, ironic and, well, weird, to name weirdness units for Iowa.

It is that very weirdness that strikes me as highly appropriate.

The Un-Weird. Weirdest of them all. tee hee

But, can we get back to the more important business of chocolate tasting? Or, maybe the equally important business, weirdness being crucial to our endeavors as it is.

I volunteer to assist Mulch in the chocolate testing part.

Reno, NV

Only if you taste the bees too;)

I got a can of platypus once. My inlaws brought it back from Austrila and I'm sitting here thinking, 'oh my gods! they can't be serrious.' Ended up opening it out of curiousty and found the cuttest stuffed platypus toy. Lol.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, I thought I might leave the bee-tasting parts to Mulch, actually.

Funnee about the platypus..... I once knew someone who had a truly pathological and heart-stopping terror of cockroaches. Someone gave her a large stuffed one as a joke, or maybe as a healing gesture? It was probably big as your average cat but not at all appealing..... I don't t hink it helped her much, LOL!

Where would stuffed cockroaches fall on the scale of Iowa Units? If we are looking at a 39 point scale, I think they ought to rank in the low 30s at least.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

From Dahlia who has not found us over h ere yet:

If Iowa is a mountain, then why aren't they on mountain time? Just wonderin cuz they should be. Regarding the funky weirdness of food scale, I agree that Mulch should be the guinea pig... oops... er... um I MEAN official taster tester and 39 1/8 might be the top cuz of that 1/8th difference that might be needed to break a tie for funky weirdest.

Reno, NV

Considering that all my cousins had giant stuffed spiders as toys (uncel didn't want any of his kids afraid of spiders) that doesn't seem weird. Maybe like a 7. Tho the toy spiders did seem to do their job, my 4 year old cousin was bit by a black widow that he picked up to play with. He lived, we called him spider man:)

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Hmm. Somehow to me a stuffed spider is way less weird than a stuffed cockroach. I mean, we have a superhero named Spiderman..... but who could ever trust a Cockroachman?????

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

While you were moving to this thread, I posted the following, for what it is worth:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6244210

Reno, NV

Lol. I think there are some things (like spiders) that we probably should be a little afraid of. What is it, spiders, snakes, heights, and I think there were two more things that have been found as universal human fears. Tho, babies only become afraid of heights after they start standing up.

Cockroaches, and Cockroachman, disturbing as they are, was one of them.

Ok the more I think about Cockrachman the more I feel like I need to wash my brain out.

Reno, NV

" Leary units ( as in Timothy Leary). " YES!!!
'New math...'

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Dahlianut,
As my official associate taster, I find your comment about "guinea pig" to be abysmally tasteless. Hmmmph!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Have you ever TASTED guinea pig Mulch?

Reno, NV

Oh:(. Total twitch.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I am not pleased with heights or snakes (although I'm not terrified of them, just wary) but spiders are fascinating. I find them in my house sometimes and I pick them up and carry them outside. Kelly thinks I'm a freak. He says I'm the only girl he's ever met who picks up spiders and worms, and also the only girl who thinks mice are cute.

Reno, NV

Mice can be quite cute. Had one as a pet. Worms! Oh yay I enjoy playing with worms. The spiders, no thank you.

The universal fears thing isn't that everyone's afraid of them but most. I think dark is one of the ones I'm forgetting.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Public speaking is supposed to be the biggie.

How would one go about covering that in chocolate, I wonder?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Sorry mulch but as the official taster tester it just seemed appropriate cuz you have to consume stuffed cockroaches and stuff. I luv spiders especially the big ones which I hide under the stairs in the winter so my DH doesn't squish them (he is NOT fond of spiders :x) I too catch and release spiders in the summer. I do get the heebiejeebies from earthworms which is very embarrassing for a gardener but very true. The GIANT heebiejeebie worms in the compost make me especially nervous cuz I think they can take me :O Re: public speaking I thought if you did it in your underwear you won't be nervous? No? hmmm now I guess I will have to compose an outfit for my Seed Saving talk.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh dark! I once went on a tour in a potash mine, and they took us so deep, I forget how deep, and then they turned out all the lights. I thought it was the coolest thing ever, but some lady on the tour was freaking out and they had to turn them back on again. I was kind of bummed out. I loved it that I could not even see the slightest hint of my hand in front of my face. I have never seen such a darkness before. I think it was over a mile deep.

I collect the worms that go under the garage door strip when it rains so that I don't drive over them when I leave. Oh, and I don't want those covered in chocolate, for anyone who asks.

Here are some of the other Vosges chocolate bars....for weirdness consideration.

Organic dark chocolate, reishi mushrooms, and walnuts.
http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/product/organic_enchanted_mushroom_candy_bar/exotic_candy_bars

Sweet Indian curry + coconut + deep milk chocolate
http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/product/naga_exotic_candy_bar/exotic_candy_bars

ginger + wasabi + black sesame seeds + dark chocolate
http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/product/black_pearl_exotic_candy_bar/exotic_candy_bars

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Dahlianut: Ya got it backwards! You won't be nervous (supposedly) if you imagine all the listeners are only in their underwear, but you are clothed. I don't know if this works because public speaking doesn't make me nervous either. The only time I was nervous was for my thesis defense, and that's probably not uncommon...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I went a mile underground in a gold mine and I was ok but it was lighted. I am afraid of our basement when I'm by myself. That's only cuz the crazy ole cat won't go down there except to use his bathroom. He knows something. There's Poltergists or something down there he can sense.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well that would just be plain silly Dr. Doolittle ^_^ Why would those peoples come to a talk in their underwear in the winter? During Stampede for sure, but not in March.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I personally feel we should seriously consider the Woolloomooloo chocolate bar, from Claire's link, if only for the sake of its lovely name.

Dahlia, some of us are blessed with the no-fear-of-public-speaking gene and we are therefore allowed to public speak whilst fully clothed.

At least, those were the rules last I checked.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O Crappola there are rules? I better read up. I've just been winging it.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

For some of us the rules are only for the rest of us. Never fear.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Dahlianut,
We have some logistics to work out. As the official tester I definitely can delegate certain tasks to others, such as my associate tester. Please keep that in mind here, as I surely am.

I also have not yet offered my mailing address for receiving the tasting samples, you will note. About the time someone suggests a great chocolate mousse pie I will be all over it!

And logic has nothing to do with imagining people attending a talk in their underwear and everything to do with making yourself comfortable. Which would you prefer when speaking in public, to be logical but terrified out of your mind, or imaginatively illogical but comfortable?

Considering your participation in this forum I suggest the latter would be your most likely choice... ;-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Everyone seems to laugh alot at my talks. I'm not sure what that signifies, but it makes me happy. ps. I've never been logical in my life although one of majors was Philosophy. Mulch I was just thinking of sending my new chocolate drizzle to the gallery. Tee hee a public address ^_^. Actually I'm not sure if it's weird enough to rate more than a 17 although it involves pickling spice. We need a hypothesis before we start. What qualifies and quantifies as funky weird? Perhaps simply 'an unusual combination of foodstuffs'?

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Oooooh, you are soooo wicked, Dahlianut!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Tee hee. Wicked but a good witch ^_^

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

An unusual combination of foodstuffs seems appropriate, although I don't normally call bees "foodstuff" but we can be expansive.

Instead of imagining my audience in their underwear, I occasionally imagine them all with a bran muffin on their head that they don't know is there. This makes me giggle, and I have no idea why.

Kylaluaz - I agree on the Woolloomooloo bar.

I am actually in the process of trying to convince Kelly to name our new llama "Woolloomooloo" but he says it is too hard to say. We haven't picked up the llama yet.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I will nominate duchess's french fries dipped in soft chocolate ice cream for the gallery. That is truly an innovative dish.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I definitely want to try that one. It sounds odd but delish!

I would like to nominate: Bacon Cookies with Maple Icing and Candied Bacon
http://www.barbaricgulp.com/2008/09/bacon-cookies-with-maple-icing-candied.html

Anyone willing to whip up a batch of these to send to Mulch? I would volunteer to taste test too!

Alternatively, Bacon and Chocolate Chip Cookies with Maple Cinnamon Glaze....
http://www.recipezaar.com/Bacon-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies-With-Maple-Cinnamon-Glaze-299238

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

YES! DEFINITELY! French fries dipped in soft chocate icecream dip! LMAO cuz Mulch is going to get plentiful weirdness showing up at the gallery. Also interesting to see how well icecream travels (snort) A NEW llama dear Claire? That is everso exciting. 'Woolloomooloo' is a luvly name but maybe a tad long. Maybe 'Woolloo'? It has the essence still ^_^

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Okay, it's taken me a while to catch up with this thread and all of it's predecessors. I think fries and chocolate softserve are a wonderful combination. My absolute favorite variation of this is Arby's spicy fries dipped in thick chocolate milkshake. Sadly, lactose intolerance has put an end to that indulgence but I'm sure it's better for me in the long run.

We have several spiders that live in the house. When we find a new one we relocate it to an unoccupied plant. We keep hoping they will keep the whiteflies in check but the spiders are really outnumbered.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Good plan Katlian. Whiteflies are evil. They are one evil that I use pesticides on although I try to be organic. There are some organic predators but they are pricey to buy and I'm not sure how many would survive shipping sigh?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Woolloo would be a totally cute llama name. I suggested it to Kelly. He said it made it sound like we were living in Hawaii. I said "Well wouldn't that be nice?" and he said "Do you know how expensive it is out there?" and I said, "But we're not out there, so if we just have a llama named Wooloo, it would be like being there, without the prices and the beach" and he said "Hmpf" in that male, dismissive sort of way.

I said "Do you have any better names?" and he said "I have time to come up with one."

Sigh.

I said "Fine, I guess it'll be the firstborn then" and he laughed.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Carol Burnet (actress) addressed public speaking during the audience question part of her show. A woman asked her how she dealth with it. Carol responded "I just pretend that everyone in the audience is sitting on the toilet." Then while the audience was starting to crack up, Carol stared at the woman and smiled widely.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.