What Signs of Spring???

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

The thread was getting too buried in snow, so we are now here, from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/953566/ and let's hope for bulbs to bloom!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks mulch for starting a new thread which such an APT title. Got another 3' of snow today. I'm beginning to believe that perhaps I've entered into the 'One Hundred Years of Solitude' with snow taking the place of rain.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I could never get over that when I lived in Bozeman. There would be a few nice warm days in April and I would be tempted to think "Yeah! spring is here!" but then the next day I would wake up to six inches of fresh snow and pull the covers back over my head.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Yeah, it is a most painfully apt title all right.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

and Dahlia dont forget the -20's C and -33 C with wind chill!
Obviously a sign of spring!
(And I really hope you did not get 3 feet of snow at your house! LOL!)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I hope you're baking fancyvan. I'm totally ticked and you know your're my only hope in times like these. I have postponed the firing up of the greenhouse cuz of the windchills :( Note: to newcomers: I have a new habit since I met fancyvan: when it storms others are worrried about road conditions and chill; I just wonder 'What is fancyvan baking?' fancyvan ALWAYS bakes when she and the puppies are housebound droooooooooooool)

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Fancyvan,
When are you moving to Ennis? We need neighbors like you!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

NOT! All mine. All mine. (tee hee)

Corrales, NM(Zone 7a)

If anyone is interested in a nice double white Hollyhock, I have a ton of seeds I would be happy to trade or share. I am still building my garden and collecting my seeds, so I don't have much else, but I have a nice gallon size bag of the white Hollyhock and also a tall pink single old fashioned type that got over 8 ft tall! I tied that pink one up to the fence with a big fat bow, it was kind of like an 8 ft tall bouquet. : ) The white ones were much more civilized, and only grew to just over the top of the fence at 5 feet. Just D-mail me if you are interested and I can send you some.

Thumbnail by LissaD
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ah but I was not housebound today! Maybe tomorrow? Who knows.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

WOWSER beauty. Crapola not hardy to my zone sigh. Worth grabbing for sure in Zone 5 and up.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Great. No baking sigh. OMG fancyvan I can't believe you weathered it today -21F!!!!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

March, my friend, please stay here
your varied state is always unclear
But yet I stand in wind and cold
to feel the end of winter unfold
I wish for warmth and snow to melt
waiting to see what next to be dealt
I know in my past that you are kind
and expect your end to be so sublime
The lion the lamb is not to fear
Whatever you throw I shall endear.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Steve, good poem. Is your snow melting yet. It is very cold here tonight. A strong N. wind is not helping. It is snowing on the close mtn. just to the West. The snow is mostly gone here except in shade and where shoveled off the roof and paths. Should I say 'Good picture of You', Did your DW take it . HeHe.

Donna

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Hello Donna. No we are buried in snow probably the most we have had in years. It was almost gone and we got over 2 ft the last few days. It is fluff so no walking in the garden area. I have to rescue my Jack russell when she falls off the snow pile into the soft stuff.
Yes nice photo of me don't you think. The picture is like a beer commercial. One of our rough bars in the area, Packers Roost.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Dahlianut, thank you for getting rain to us with your machine. We have needed it.

Winds are calmer here today. Lilac and honey locust leaves are emerging. there are some buds forming on the lilac too. Hummingbird feeders are up - should be any day now that they return. Early Girl tomato has her first blossom. Buds are getting bigger every day on Claret Cup cactus (the first cactus to bloom in my garden). Pumpkin has put out several more blossoms - I need to check for baby pumpkins!
Artichoke I started from seed; the ones in containers are growing faster than the ones in the ground and the store-bought globe variety I bought last year overwintered fine, I'm checking it daily for signs of a bud... can't wait and I sure hope it produces this year.
The rain missed us again. It was all around us but not a drop fell here. Lots of critters are coming for water.
~Thus ends Spring report from Elephant Butte, NM

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

A tomato blossom!!! Awesome!

It was below six degrees zero here this morning.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Awesome is right, Angele! Wow. Your 7b and mine are not the same at the moment. ;-) We had a deeper frost last night than I expected and all the soil in my WS containers was frozen this morning, so...... I am waiting to see if there is any damage to the sproutlets.

Mulch I don't know if I have ever been in below zero temps, if I have it was years and years ago. It must be mighty intense.......

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

It is manageable if you live in such a climate and are properly prepared for it. However, my personal limit says that anything colder than ten below is simply obscene, prepared or not!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Occasionally I see photos of people living in little towns in Siberia and places like that where it gets to be gosh awful below, like -70 or something..... I know indigenous communities that evolved cultures in those types of climates are truly prepared in ways it would be hard for us to emulate...... but I am talking about folks with relatively Western contemporary living situations. When I see them I am just in awe.

Here I was in some ways over-prepared, everyone said "It gets cold!!!!!!" and yeah, it did, but not all that bad, I bought some rather unnecessary shoes for instance. And a coat I only wore once or twice.....

The coldest it got was 7* once. We did have a hard frost right on October 15, though, and the downstairs neighbors' garden got instantly destroyed in one wipe-out. That was a lesson for me!!!!!!

Right now I am a bit on tenterhooks about my WS outside, watching to see if last night's freeze will do much damage, or none, or some.......

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Hope all is well with the wee ones.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

thx me too.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Update...... all the soil that was rock hard is now mostly squishy again and no sproutles seem at all the worse for wear........ How do they DO that?

I did call on all the garden fairies for help when I realized the peril this morning..... and tonight I believe I will toss a couple of old drapes over the bunch of them out there (the containers, not the fairies!)....... but tomorrow and after it is supposed to get into the 50s in the day.

gosh. Angele I am thinking with pleasure of your tomato blossom. ;-)

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

We're like that too Kylaluaz. Generally it is pretty mild as far as a cold Winter goes. Once, maybe twice a Winter it gets down below 10F, but not every year and not for long. Avg low for January is 24F here.

Monument, CO(Zone 5a)

Here are some of my spring blooms--
Had an ACL reconstruction 2 weeks ago and was so afraid I would miss them because crutches don't work too well in the garden, but I ditched the crutches and went out in the yard with only the brace on just to get pictures!

Thumbnail by srandlmt
Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Well worth the trip if you did not hurt yourself!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Beautiful Irises, thank you for the picture.

Reno, NV

Sigh. So jelous. Pretty today, snow melted but cold and very much not spring.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Pretty is a good start.....

Reno, NV

I know I'm just supper itchy to get going.

Wish me luck all. I'm testing for a state job tomorrow. I'm nervous as all get out and even if I do well it'll be a while.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Duchess, I will be a little more specific, I wish you lots of GOOD luck tomorrow.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes, fabulous good excellent luck and enjoying the experience to boot. What I wish for ya. ;-)

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

srandlmt, lovely iris, can't see any sign of mine yet, probably just as well, it is 7 degrees outside now, but at least no north wind like we had yesterday. Sure too cold to go out to take pictures if there was anything to take a picture of. I did see yesterday where the darn birds, I don't know for sure if quail or sparrows, ate some crocus that were showing buds.

Donna

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I have been meaning to post some flower pictures for everyone who's still buried in the snow and cold. http://picasaweb.google.com/janelj54/Flowers#
You have to start about halfway through because I accidentally stuck them in an existing album from a couple years ago.

Good luck on the test (even though you're probably taking the test right now :)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have my fingers crossed for you, duchess!
Lovely iris, srandlmt. I have some of those planted, but they aren't up yet, alas.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hope the test is going well duchess. Luvly iris pic srandlmt.

Monument, CO(Zone 5a)

Thanks, mulch, didn't hurt myself at all. In fact, it did me a world of good to be out in the fresh air and sunshine. After all, that is one of the reasons I love to garden!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

We are supposed to get snow tonight and for the next few days. I hate to give up the beautiful sunshine, but it is still very, very dry here. The last storm gave us only a barely measurable amount of moisture. I am hoping for more this time, but when I look at the weather map, I find myself wondering if the weather bureau has looked at it. Time to start the rain dances ( for us -- not for those of you with 3 ft. of snow.)

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

rutholive isn't taking turns with the moisture.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.