Iris/ Plant Sales

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

I said I would post when the Co Springs iris sales are (I know at least Betty was interested) So here's what I have - all pasted from their websites:

AIS Region 20 sales:
Saturday, July 25, Open to the public 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Mountains & Plains Iris Society Sale
Littleton

Saturday, August 1, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Sunday, August 2, 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Elmohr Iris Society Rhizome Sale
Colorado Springs

May 15 - 17, Friday through Sunday, is the Annual Gigantic Spring Plant
Sale. Friday and Saturday 9:00 to 5:00 and Sunday 10:00 to 4:00 at the
Demonstration Garden (Cache la Poudre and Glen Ave.). Everyone is welcome. Come shop from the hundreds of varieties of perennials, annuals and drought-hardy plants. Also for sale are many varieties of organic heirloom vegetables. We hope to see you there! http://hasgardens.com/calendar_of_events

Let me know if anyone wants to join me for any or all of these! Susanne

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

A Gigantic Spring Plant Sale on my birthday that I can't go too sigh :( I hope they at least send me a B-Day Card.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Ooh, I am tempted, but I think I would rather go for the spring bloom tour in the area. Are you still up for that art? I am afraid I will buy way too many iris from my own local iris sale to be able to plant any of the ones from yet another sale. But blooms? I can look at all I want. I think your peak bloom will be a little before ours which should be about May 23-24. At least that is when our show is. So I would have to go before that.

Of course I am still up for it! I was trying to pick a good weekend - would one before or after that date you said work for you?

Reno, NV

Danger! Danger!

LOL :)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No kiddin duchess ^_^ Good thing I'm a billion miles away.

Reno, NV

Me too. I have enough places out here to drool on:)

lol, danger is right! I've been saving all winter for these and the dbg sale and my bday and wedding anniversary are this summer, so I'm crossing my fingers!!! :) I'll buy a plant in your honor(s).. like I need an excuse.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

I can drive down from Denver with anyone else who wants to hitch a ride for the iris sales.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Don't fret duchess, the May Aboretum plant sale is usually on the same weekend.

Reno, NV

You know I've yet to make that. Which weekend?

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

It was on the 17th last year but I'm not sure how they decide which weekend (after the 15th or 3rd weekend or whatever.) It's usually on their website a few weeks before the sale.

Reno, NV

Thanks. I'll have to check it out:)

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

I haven't been around for awhile... sorry. I would love to meet up with people at the Iris sell if others are going. I finished my 3 year landscaping project and have two places I want to put Iris in. Maybe just a few. I'm still trying to get back in good graces with my husband from my last big purchase. Hehe... yikes.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Okay. I might be able to drive up some time between the 18th and the 21st of May. I will be at the National Iris convention until the 16th and must help with our local Iris show here on the 22nd and 23rd of May. That may be just a little late for iris in the Denver area -- the tall beardeds that is. Could you or Suzanne call Iris 4 U and a couple of the others to see when they think it will be time for tall bearded in the Denver area. Lowell Baumunk has an iris nursery in Littleton where you live, but he decided to quit giving tours of it this year for the first time. Darn! I will see him in late April and will protest! We should be able to hit Iris4U in Denver and Long's all in a single day. I don't have a clue where C&T is, but that would be fun, too, but maybe it is too far south for you all. I could possibly hit it on my way back.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

I'm a little confused now. Paj, are you saying you're driving to Denver for a plant sale? Or were you talking to the other Nevada ladies?

Oh and Paj you mentioned late May being too late for the Bearded Iris. I don't have any Iris yet, but I thought I was supposed to get those late in Summer and plant them in early Fall? My neighbor just moved in and has a mess of Iris. It's a huge mat about 6'x3' and I think they're so overgrown they're growing on top of each other now. I was going to help her lift them, but I read you have to wait until Fall. Is that true? If we can do that now, I could nab a bunch of those and fill in with some fancy ones from the sales.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I am talking about coming to the Denver area to meet art to visit iris growers in your area and as far as I am concerned you and anyone else who is interested is welcome to join us. There are two in your immediate area and three if you count Iris Colorado in Littleton -- but the latter no longer allows visitors, unfortunately. If you look toward the beginning of this thread, art welcomed others to join her on a tour of local gardens. The problem for me is that I don't actually know when to expect the iris in your area which is both warmer in summer and cooder in winter than where I live. I want to see the iris in bloom is the reason for the trip.
As for when to dig and plant iris, one normally digs about 6 weeks after they bloom, and then replant them as soon as possible. It probably wouldn't hurt them -- they are very tough if you moved them right now, but you might destroy any possiblity of bloom this year for both the ones that stay and the ones that move. I would say wait until 6 weeks after bloom, but if you and your neighbor don't mind losing the blooms you could do it any time. Sometimes if iris are too badly matted, they quit blooming, so maybe the flowers for this year aren't an issue.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Oh that would be lots of fun! You already seem to know more about the gardens here than I do. I'll call around and see what I can find out about Iris bloom time this year. I thought Art was trying to hit the sales?

My friend says her Iris were blooming when they moved in last year, which blew me away. I don't think they could possibly get any direct sun as they are right along the fence on the easy side of her house and it's only about a 12 foot space between the house and the fence. I know my east walk gets no sun. Funny plants.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Iris are amazingly tough. They will grow in almost any circumstances.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

I did a little research and it looks like peak for the Tall Bearded would be the beginning of the last week of May. So around May 25th give or take a week?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I will check my calendar on that. The other thing we are going to do is go to the Denver Botanic Garden plant sale on May 9, 2009 and will go to the home of Trish G afterwards for plant and seed trading/giving and food. You are more than welcome. Are you a member of DBG?
roybird and I will be driving up from NM and Dahlia nut will be flying in from Calgary. See the "Mark your Calendar" thread for details.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

AND we're all very excited about it too!!!

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

I think my membership expired in January... I'll have to look and maybe renew it. Then I'll have to kiss my husband and ask him to watch the kids. :) Assuming that all works I would love to go and I should have lots of random seedlings to bring since I'm already stressing about too many of them succeeding for the space I have.

Do you plan on being home anytime in May Paj? lol

I like how you separated out Dahlia nut... Are you trying to say she's nuts about Dahlias or just nuts for coming down here? (Sorry Dahlia, I mean nothing by it, I don't even know you well enough yet for it to mean anything.)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I resemble all of that remark (tee hee)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I don't know what I meant -- no doubt it was a typo, but you will notice that we have gone a bit daft since you were here last. Dahlia nut has definitely contributed to that daftness but then so have a lot of us. Actually, if any government had jurisdiction over all of us there would probably be guys with butterfly nets and straight jackets running around looking for us but luckily we are a trans-state, trans-national group and no one would be able to figure out who was in charge so we are free to ride our emus and dragons to our heart's content -- and Dahlia is changing the weather patterns to help those of us in the arid ( so-called semi-arid) southwest.
Hope you can pull it together to come. You and your plants would be very welcome. i have sworn to take nothing away from anything but the DBG plant sale -- but that is a vow I have violated many times in the past. The flesh is weak -- and so is the spirit in my case.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It's not your fault Paj if plants accidently follow you home in the big space in the back of the truck where the poop used to be.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That's right, Paj. That's what I tell myself. DH doesn't care as long as he doesn't have to plant them.

Oh, and KTalia, you are right about my not being home in May. I haven't told DH about the iris trip to Denver and that may not fly. But he has spent the last 3 months at the theater and night with me waiting up late to provide a nourishing meal and to help with dog medication. He is a night person, but I am a day person so his schedule is killing us both. ( He has to get up and go to work in the morning.)

But I am going to do like you propose, kTalia, kiss him and hope he will agree. I was previously planning to fly to Oregon for the end of May iris bloom at all the big iris growers, but I think I have ruled that out. Driving to Denver for a day would probably be cheaper.

Perhaps I should tell him I plan to go to Oregon and then agree to settle for Denver? I will be thinking for that one.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Wow, that DOES sound seriously convoluted. As far as Oregon goes, some year when you do decide to go I might join you. I grew up and have family there, so that might be a nice... "kill two birds with one stone" trip. Sometime when I'm not broke from landscaping projects.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I will come too and we shall visit the Swan Island Dahlia Farm.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, now that sounds like a winner. A Rocky Mt. Forum trek to the Oregon Iris Farms. We would have a ball! It probably won't be this year for me, though.
But next year the National Iris Convention will be held in Vancouver, BC with bus tours to all the iris growers there. I will move heaven and earth to get to that one and if either of you is interested you can join AIS which only costs $20. The Iris Convention is always great fun. Two bus tours of iris gardens specially planted for the occasion, each day for 3 days. I have already seen photos of one place where one of the gardens will be and it is gorgeous. And of course, we could probably rent a car and drive on down to Oregon as well. Doesn't that sound cool!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Darn, I'm going to be there a month too early. We're driving up to Portland next month to visit my family. Then we're driving down the coast to visit the redwoods. It was going to be a hiking/tidepools trip but now we'll have to stick to places that are crutch-able. I'll take photos of any cool flowers we see along the way.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Kaitlan don't forget that you can't to OR fruits into CA. The Fruit Police are very persnickety about that.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Lately the ag inspection stations have been closed due to budget shortfalls. And they're usually only concerned about homegrown produce, not the stuff you can get in a store.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

They threw my apple in prison :(

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

They don't like any sort of fruit from New Mexico. And when we go to Mexico, the Mexicans won't let us bring US fruit into some of their states. Don't they know that bugs are totally capable of flying?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My apple was born just up the road. Probably dreamed of growing up to be an apple pie. Instead prison :(

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Poor thing. Maybe it can be an apple pie for the prisoners. They probably need all the apple pie they can get!

Ah! You guys were busy. I gotta catch up. Come, anyone is welcome! The more the merrier (and probably more dangerous).
I'll start to call around to figure out the best dates to go visit. The 18th-21st might work for me, although I'd be playing hookie from school, but that's no problem as long as I plan ahead. I'll call the places tomorrow and see what they say and what all they can get going for us ;)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

When some one says -- "Irises", I don't forget.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Don't worry Katlain, I think Paj and I both agree that the Pacific Northwest is out for this year. I think Paj was referring to next spring for a trip like that.

Something during the week could be a bit tricky for my to get baby sitters, not impossible, but tricky. Weekends are usually easier. Just let me know and I can start working on something.

As for as the Denver Botanical Gardens, kisses worked quite well. Actually my husband was very happy to hear that I might be making some new friends. I don't think he realizes how dangerous gardening friends can be. I'm planning on going to the AIS sale at Hudson Gardens in July as well. I think that should be enough for one year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.