Is it Time to Transplant Shrubs?

Longmont, CO(Zone 5a)

I'm hoping someone in the group can give me advice on this. I have a reblooming lilac and a spirea that are in totally the wrong places. Each plant has now been in the ground for two years. I need to transplant them to suitable locations.

Is it too early to do this?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'd move it as early as you can get it out of the ground.

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

You can transplant any plant as soon as the soil is workable in the spring. and before it leafed out. It is less stressful for a plant to become established after transplanting when it doesn't have leaves to support.

Ordinarily, 1/3 of growth should be trimmed back to balance growth with roots to offset those that will be lost through transplanting.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Fall is also a good time to transplant shrubs, because that gives them all winter to grow roots before they leaf out again. Either is great, but should be done when there aren't many leaves on the plant.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I don't have any luck with putting in woodys in the fall here paj. Methinks the freeze goes to deep maybe?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That could be. I have no experience with deep freezes but they have to have an effect. This is the northernmost and coldest place I have ever lived and we are no where near as cold as Calgary.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.