Summer drought?

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

As some of you know, I drive a fuel truck into, around and over the Colorado rockies. I can tell you, unless they get a major dump, it's going to be a long, dry summer. Around Buena Vista, they haven't had any snow in some time, and the Collegiate mountains, all 14ers, are half bare all the way up. I was up by Steamboat Springs today, via Berthoud pass, through Fraser and Kremmling, and the snow is disappering rapidly. It's going to be a bad fire season this year, especially with all the dead pines killed by the pine beetle. If you're going camping, go early. And prepare for water restrictions. And know back to the Bugs Bunny hour....

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Yes, that is really scary Vadap. March is supposed to be the big snow month, but I don't think we've had ANY at all. I keep saying, we never really had winter this year. I've enjoyed the all warm weather, but Oh the consequences could be bad!

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

They say that due to La Nina we can expect higher temps and less precip than normal this spring. Very scary. The climate change is affecting my personal micro-climates. My clematises are budding out about a month early.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Supposed to be 59 degrees here today. We did get a bit of rain though.

Set up the insulated section of the hoophouse finally and now have around 40 tomato seedlings potted up into four inch pots out there.

I definitely do not want bad summer drought. Not only is it bad for the gardens, but the fire seasons can be really scary. The year we kept waking up with ashes on the cars in our driveways was most unnerving.

I personally am hoping for a really rainy spring.

Speaking of which, saw my first robin in the yard today.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

79* here today. And the soil is like dust already. I had to give a presentation to the HOA last week about the potential for Level II and Level III water restrictions this year, and it isn't a pretty picture. Also everything is at least 2 weeks ahead of LAST year, which was already too early. We may get some snow Tu, but it won't be enough.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Greenjay, long time no see. Sorry to hear how dry...

Santa Fe, NM

Revclaus, same here in northern New Mexico. My clematis is budding out about a month early. Spring bulbs are blooming for about 2 days ( except daffodils who seem to like the warm, dry ), then they just dry up. I'm thinking it will be a rough summer unless we get early, heavy rain.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Just saw my first bluebird this afternoon. Definitely early.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Well, Copper got 11" of snow yesterday. Not much of a dump, but something. I was down to Cripple Creek yesterday (just west of Co Springs,(and I was delivering diesel to the gold mine, not gambling), and they had a trace that melted quickly. Has anyone seen bees yet? My Nanking Cherry is half in bloom, but no bees that I've seen to even try and pollinate.

I heard a quick blurb the other day about running a pipline from the Great Lakes or Mississippi to the head of the Colorado River. I think that as scarce a commodity as water is becoming, if they pipe oil across Alaska, and oil and gas across the 48, this is feasible. At the pump stations, have filtration devices of some sort to keep their critters there and not here. Interesting concept. And if the middle east can turn their deserts green through the use of desalinization plants, why can't Ca do that for their extensive water needs?

I've seen bees where I live vadap. Just two days ago when it was still warm. Startled me to see them so early. Of course, blooming trees at this time of year is early too.

Santa Fe, NM

Bees here. But not as many as we are used to seeing. Heard we might get freezes and snow later this week. The t.v. weatherman said it, however. l.o.l.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Saw a bluebird on Sunday. No bees, but no flowers either, so no surprise there.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No bees but the robins are back ^_^

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Snow? I think you're telling fairy tales! They kept saying snow but all Highlands Ranch saw was a few hours of gray sky and then the sun came back out. I think that makes three fantasy "snow storms" that Highlands Ranch set record highs through (pardon a slight exaggeration there). Now they say snow tonight and a blizzard Thursday but I'm not holding my breath. I hope they're right this time because I don't usually have to water this much until July.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

They've had 19" already at Copper, and more coming. Not exactly a dump for them, but won't complain. They say we are SUPPOSED to have an upslope with this storm, so IF that happens, that 6-12" predicted could easily be a lot more. See, I don't need rain dances, just open my yap in public, and Ma nature will prove me wrong!! That woman hates me for cursing her so much over the years. LOL

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Vadap I called her an 'ole boot' at loud once and I got h*a*i*l that day. She's a pretty unforgiving ole boot

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Dahlia,
Better say o*l*e b*o*o*t. Unless you feel a strange need for hail.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think I'm ok mulch cuz I said it with my inside voice (I hope). Besides she's busy dumping another 2 inches of snow on us. 6" Sat/Sun + 2" today = 8". My spring bulbs aren't going to show up til July at this rate :(

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Well, we just have colder weather and today we did not get snow or rain. I vote for moisture if we have to be cold!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes snow is good but I wonder if spring bulbs take a hiatus for a year if it NEVER thaws. I'm a very crabbby, grumpy person today because it's cold so I shall seed a few things as therapy.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

This is a really good time to look at your dahlia photos. I look at poppy photos when I need to get right with the world again...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I did a gifting of dahlia tubers on Sunday and it WAS luvly looking at the pics to help the lady decide. I have another gifting tomorrow night and I'm doing a workshop and gifting next Wednesday. ALSO alot of the dahlias in the greenhouse are leafy now ^_^ Thanks Mulch. I will just live in my greenhouse with the dahlias happily ever after. No puter in there though :( Did mention that I got some luvly new poppy seeds at Seedy Saturday from my buddy Joe the Poppy King? I'm very excited about that too. I shall collect some seeds for you this summer.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Oooooh, that sounds great, Dahlia!

I just came in from my greenhouse where I potted up some more tomato seedlings and a ton of kale. I found two of my Luxor lilies are sprouting. I leave most of my lilies in pots and many croak each winter, but some make it. And I especially love Luxor.

In fact, here is a five foot wide painting I did of Luxor recently.

Thumbnail by mulchmania
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Wonderfully captured in your painting!! I wonder how my lily planting frenzy last fall will turn out? It will be a surprise to see where I ended up putting all of them because I distinctly remember that there was a bit of a placement panic at the end. I hope I marked them all so I don't accidently dig them up.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Placement panic. I have had a few of those. One of the worst was when I put a small temporary row of kohlrabi along the south edge inside the hoop house, planning to put peppers there when the kohlrabi was done.

Labels had gotten mixed up and the nice little kohlrabi turned out to be enormous loose leaf cabbage that took over the pathway in there. Sheesh.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Shades of the self sowing mescalin mix that kept sowing and sowing and sowing. I already have some 'mystery' seedlings in the greenhouse resulting from either label mix-up (me) or pot jumping (a favorite seedling game).

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Seedlings can be surprisingly acrobatic when no one is looking.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

MM, what a beautiful painting! Apparently we are supposed to be getting some snow tonight and/or tomorrow (we're SW Colorado), but Denver and parts north are supposed to be getting DUMPED on! We will see...

Brenda

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Ten degrees this morning. Faint dusting of snow. Erk!

Snowing hard in Denver.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Hurray! It's snowing, it's snowing.... It really is. I know my poor confused spring plants might not do so well, but heck, it's moisture!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

8 - 16 inches expected, yippee!

Santa Fe, NM

It's on the way here! I'm hoping that we just get rain in town and snow in the higher elevations but I think we'll get snow, too. Supposed to go down to 19 degrees tonight. I cut about a dozen daffodils and some hyacinths to enjoy inside while the others get creamed. The apricot blossoms are waving good-by. The tulips will be fine. I think I will cover my little clematis plants this afternoon, though. I have not had so many plants leafed out this early before. The roses, I think, will be unhappy. But, it is the young clematis that worries me more. Oh, beautiful painting, Mulch, in case I forgot to say. Who else has clematis leafing out early?

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

I covered my clematis. It's not leafed out yet but it is budding and I got a little ahead of myself & wove the naked vines through my deck lattice. So for now it's sharing a blanket with some of its neighbors. I wish I had thought to cut those few daffs that are blooming!

I covered my clematis too. Too many leaves and buds to risk.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Snowing here, too. My clematis have a few tiny buds starting but I didn't think to cover them, I hope they'll be okay. Just saw my first bud on a tulip yesterday, I'm wondering how those will fare. Fingers crossed!

Santa Fe, NM

Tulips can get flattened by snow and the next day just shrug it off, no problem. What did you all use to cover your clematis? I was thinking buckets over the little ones and a tarp over the bigger one that almost died last year but had a miraculous recovery. I have two other vines, one is too hard to get to as it has joined forces with the mahonia and Virginia creeper, so I figure they might shelter it somewhat. The other one is on the north side of the house between a fence and the wall of the house. That is the one my D.H. is always whacking down because he thinks it bothers his cherry trees. Should I throw blankets or towels over the buckets and tarps?

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Throw a tarp over your DH when he is about to whack down a clematis.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Or a big bucket! Geesh clematis have been twining trees since the beginning of time. It is a mutualistic symbiotic relationship not a parasitic symbiotic relationship. Bamboozle him with horticulture little bird. Don't let him whack your clematis!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

I had to cover both sides of my lattice deck rail, so I used a big frost blanket (white non-woven fabric) anchored with rocks on the ground & chairs on the deck.

Here's my Autumn clematis last September climbing the deck & the tree next to it.

Thumbnail by lisabees

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.