Summer drought?

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Ahhhhhh, that is beautiful, lisabees!

Santa Fe, NM

Very pretty, Lisabees! I would have thrown more than a tarp on D.H. if I had known what he was up to! He was sneaking around his cherry trees and they are Sour and tiny pie cherries, by the way. I will never get over this one and he has heard Plenty about it, you can be sure! I put buckets and towels on the little ones, a big towel and a tarp held with bricks and clothes pins on the big one. I also threw a tarp over some seedlings of cornflowers that came up in a pot. The apricot blossoms are falling all over the place already because it has been too cold for them at night earlier in the week. It was spitting snirt earlier this evening but the storm may not bring us much moisture here. Just Cold.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh good luck with the survival factor there, in the cold......... and too bad not much moisture with. Specially when they are flooding so bad in the midwest right now, geeze.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Oh, I love the clematis. I got some potted Jasmine this year, I hope they'll cover my lattice on my patio. Of course, I'll have to cut them back and bring them in, so I'm not sure they'll ever get far enough.... I do silly things sometimes. Jasmine in Denver, sheesh. Oh well, at least it will be nice for this summer if nothing else. The scent grabbed me as I walked by and reminded me of being a little girl in California with Jasmine all over under my bedroom window.

Santa Fe, NM

We are getting mixed snow and rain now, light and not sticking but more than a mist! We are supposed to get more throughout the night and tomorrow morning. Taos is getting a blizzard!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Yikes!

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Our blizzard is moving on, but it's going to be very cold tonight and for most of a week. I covered my clematis with a blanket, and covered a new shoot on one of my exposed clematises with a terra cotta pot. Hope they'll be okay with a week of low temps. The only thing I forgot to protect was a winter-sown flat of chrysanthemums. It has a lid on, but it's buried in snow. They all germinated and have their first set of leaves. Hope they make it since they were going to be replacements for plants lost in earlier freezes. Typical March weather -- 78 Sunday, 14 tonight with a foot of snow on the balcony.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh, rev, I can empathize...

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

You got a foot, Revclaus?! Darn - don't think I got more than half that! I think we honestly get less moisture out here than the rest of the metro area.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Well, here in Los Alamos, it looked like a blizzard for a little while but we only got an inch of snow. But more is supposed to be coming later tonight and all day tomorrow. Before it started, I was out checking the iris I planted in August. I have quite a few more that didn't make it through the winter this year than any previous year. I know it was the drought. I have watered as much as possible, but the guy who "improved" my sprinkler system has made it near impossible to water with a hose. He has heard about that and will fix it this spring or I will have his head on a platter!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey, Revclaus, keep us posted about those chrysanthemums, okay? Hope they make it....... That's not one I have tried to wintersow yet. So far everything with a top made it through the freezes here, except some tenders I sowed too soon.

Paj, his head on a platter, hmm. What sauce for that, do you think? LOL! Course I hope he fixes the water instead.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I had in mind kerosene! But yes, I prefer that he fix the watering system. It was not cheap and works fine on its own, but can't be used on warm days during the winter. Only hoses will do then.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Revclaus your baby mums should be just fine snuggled in under that warm blanket of snow. Paj how can you tell this soon if your iris didn't make it? (she asks, fearing that the answer will mean doom for the baby iris she put in last year)

Santa Fe, NM

Woke up to about 4" of snow here this morning! Still snowing, but sun is shining. Glad that the apricot blossoms died in a dramatic manner!

Santa Fe, NM

Just talked to Paja on the phone, Dahlia! We're still trying for lunch. She got 6" in Los Alamos but our streets are all just slushy now. We are on a delay. She did not tell me about her iris yet. I need to get dressed so I can walk over and meet her. That way she won't have to drive on a back street and I will be able to eat more if I exercise!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Before I head down to Santa Fe to meet roybird, I could tell they were dead because they had already started sending up leaf fans and those fans had become brown and the iris rhizome had become soft and mushy. Mind you, most of mine are fine and with this snow, I think most of them will be okay. Probably yours are fine because they have had plenty of moisture this winter. It was mostly the ones I had purchased at the rhizome sale and maybe one from a good nursery.
I did notice some big munches taken out of some iris by some unknown critter. I suspect a deer or possibly even a gopher, but it is impossible to tell. If I had to guess I would say deer because of the style of eating -- top down,not bottom up. Neither one is especially fond of iris, but there probably isn't all that much of their favorite foods yet -- roses, lettuce, spinach, kale, raspberry bushes, peach blossoms. So they are stuck with the less than prime stuff.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My iris are still sleeping so I am going with 'no news is good news'.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Good idea. By the way, roybird and I have postponed our luncheon due to the fact that I am having a slow morning due to the fact that my DH had to come home from the theater last night in blizzard conditions and we didn't get to bed until 2:00 am. So next Friday at El Tesoro -- this will give you all a chance to get your airplane reservations in place.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Is there free parking for planes too?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Probably, but you might have to land at the airport and drive your plane on the streets to Sambusco. Streets in downtown Santa Fe are notoriously narrow and crooked. People joke that Santa Fe was laid out by cows -- which probably isn't far from wrong.

Santa Fe, NM

Burros, more likely. I went out for a walk and it was really windy and cold! It has not gotten over 28 degrees at my house today. A good day to stay in. Plus, we are having home-made meatball sandwiches for dinner, so I will have more room for that!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, probably burros. We are up to 35.8 here and it is a lovely sunny day without wind. Knock on wind. I envy your meatball sandwiches, but I am staying vegan. Tonight we will go to Siclo or is it Ciclo, the little Asian restaurant next door to Masa Sushi. They always have lots of good vegan food and my husband can get all the seafood he wants. Actually, that little restaurant is owned by Koreans and the lady and I had a nice talk about Korean food. I am eager to return.
Then off to the theater for DH's opening night of Morning Time Train which has been really tough to get together. He says he has no idea whether it is good or not. This would be called its World Premier if the author were known. He is known as a composer for movies, but this is his first play. We shall see, but at least I will get a nice dinner. ( not meatballs though.)

Santa Fe, NM

Tell D.H. we wish him a grand opening night! I will not tell him to " break a leg " considering the weather. Have fun!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm sure it will be a smash!!!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Well, it turned out pretty well. It is always nerve racking putting on a play by a new playwright. This playwright does have experience as a screen composer and conductor, though and did pretty well on his first original play. But it is cold tonight and I was glad to get home. At least he won't be practicing every night of the week now.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Bravo!! Very good news for DH, and you.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Three cheers! Glad it went well.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Hooray! Good for you and DH!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Aw, thanks guys. We slept until 10:30 this AM. Badly needed sleep.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Dancing with joy that the play was a smash ^_^

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Me, too. I will see DH on evenings during the week now. And I did enjoy the play and hope others will.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Feels good to have a success, especially after weeks of work.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

It does indeed. DH is now home after the second night's performance feeling good about the production. He is enjoying the play himself.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.