Fast n' easy no dig/plant in a bag method!

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

This looks like a cool idea!
Check it out!
http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/4396/try-soil-bag-planting-for-no-dig-beds

Thumbnail by Cottage_Rose
Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

The thing is - you have to buy the huge blocks of soil, not the standard bags.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Hmmm, putting that on to of a bale or 2 of straw so I wouldn't have to bend would be even better.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

That is a great idea!

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Brilliant!

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

Has anyone here tried the grow bags or made their own grow bags? I have been thinking about it.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

I'd like an update too.

Over in market growers, one woman grows all of her tomatoes in grow bags. They look wonderful. Now these aren't the upside down ones, if that is what you meant. Hers are the bright red heavy plastic of some kind.

I made a couple tiny bags trying different fabrics. I want to grow some veggies, but am having trouble with rocks and black walnut trees. I am looking for inexpensive, effective, attractive easy to store off season solutions. I saw the diy rubbermaid style planters elsewhere in the thread, but don't want to look at a bunch of rubbermaids standing around.

GQ, I do a lot of growing in pickle buckets with holes drilled in the bottom and low on the sides. Tomatoes, vining vegetables on a trellis, etc. With a low decorative fence or tall flowers around it, you wouldn't have to look at the containers. Empty, they stack nicely in the garage for the winter. You do have to stake the buckets if you live in a windy area.

Huntersville, NC

how about a "brick" or coir?? it weighs less than 2 lbs when dry yet makes 5 gallons of soil. then mix with 20% Perlite .

and Im told its great growing medium and very light weight too!

i got mine from www.InstaGarden.com . . . BocaBob?
Hes a member and vendor on DG.

This message was edited May 24, 2009 4:23 PM

So are you saying you can grow in just coir & perlite???

Hey I just checked out that website...
I'm going to get some coir and grow bags!
THANKS!

Huntersville, NC

Sorry CottageRose
- Somepersonal issues had me away for a while.

But yes!
According to the instagarden.com coir info and
- the "Self-Contained Garden" forum,
many swear by this coir and perlite success.

Check out the responses when I asked about this brick coir:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/986592/

Helpful and Informative Discussion!

. . .just think how fortunate we are to
- first have computer skills to communicate and
- gain such info but better still
- there IS a DavesGarden where we can actually intellectually discuss a topic and share actual growth results!

check out the coir thread link!
let me know what you think.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

What would we do without DG???

go nuts, no wait! go nuttier.

My little bags seem to be working for the herbs. Time to make some bigger ones and transplant the tomato and bean seedlings. I used nylon fabric with a mesh panel in the bottom. The About.com container gardening forum had lettuce planted in a shopping bag. I plant my lettuce and radishes in window boxes.

http://containergardening.about.com/b/2009/05/14/cheap-vegetable-container-garden-in-a-reusable-grocery-bag.htm

I am so cheap, that I don't buy reusable bags.....but that is another story.

Umm, duh!
What kind of fertilizer do you use with coir?
I like to do organic and not do the Miracle Grow thing
with my edibles,.
What can I use ???

Huntersville, NC

many use NO fertilizer others that do fertilize use it DILUTED - regularly!

the given coir link discusses several fertilizers.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

You can puree' your kitchen scraps then work them into the 'soil' for more or less organic( it depends on how organically the produce was grown)fertilizer. Use bloodmeal or bonemeal for nitrogen, eggshells for calcium, etc. I suspect you will need a small amount of lime too. Lawn clippings will add nitrogen & act as a nice mulch too.

I grow eggplant, mints I want to control, etc. in old washer & dryer tubs beside the garage. They are more or less out of sight & could be painted or have some decorative cover on them if I wanted to go to the effort. They are filled with gravel on the bottom few inches, then just good top soil mixed with potting soil and some sand if that is needed. I do some MG fertilizing, some kitchen scraps & bunny poo dug in. Everything seems to grow well in them.

GOD bless each of you as you grow your foods in whatever containers work best for you.

Bunny poo is wonderful stuff, I wish I had access to it all the time.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I wish I EVER had access to it, or bird poo, or elephant poo, or any herbivore poo is good, I hear. It just hurts to have to pay for it. Leaflady, do you ever eat eggplant greens?

Carrie, I found mine on craiglist by asking for bunny poop.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

LOL

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

No, I wait until they are the correct color for that variety to harvest them. I never thought about eating them green. I like green tomatoes and peppers breaded and deep fried. I sometimes just use a bit extra oil in the skillet to fry them too.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

No, I meant the leaves instead of the eggplants. Got that from my CSA once!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I didn't know they could safely be eaten. Eggplant is a member of the nightshade family like tomatoes, potatoes, etc so foliage is toxic.

Can you use rabbit manure when its fresh??
I have a rabbit but just throw his poo in the compost pile.
If I can use it fresh I will do that.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Leaflady, clearly I'm remembering wrong, because I didn't know that. Hmmm. We were in a CSA last summer and they sent us the greens from every possible vegetable under the sun. Collard greens and kale, yes, but also radish and I dunno, corn leaves, bean greens, stuff that didn't make sense to me! I thought eggplant was one of them but I guess not.

I am not 100% positive, but it seems to me that bunny poo can be used fresh. Please don't try it until we get confirmation as my brain can't be trusted, haha.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Go to Central Miswest Gardening forum & look for Dave517 or some number like that. He is a rabbit farmer and gardener.

Cathy I think I recall now that you can use it fresh
but don't let it touch the plant.
I think I'm going to make some rabbit manure tea with it.

LL thanks for the referral.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.