Coleus Chatters thru April 5th...

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning!

I think I'm going to explode with excitement. I'm just so happy to have a few coleus to play with while we have a late snow. Sheesh, it's spring and we're below freezing.

What is everyone doing? Are you all getting ready for spring? And what plans do you have other than coleus? Right now I have about 1500 petunia (shock wave, easy wave & tidal wave) plugs in my kitchen along with about 500 Impatiens. I can't wait for the color explosion! LOL

Here's the song for the week.... this came blurting out of my mouth when I opened a package of coleus the other day and I was so happy that I was sashaying around the house dancing with my coleus. LOL I had to change one of the words.

At last my love has come along
My lonely days are over
And life is like a song
At last the skies above are blue
And my heart was wrapped up in coleus
The night I looked at you
I found a dream that I can speak to
A dream that I could call my own
I found a thrill to press my cheek to
A thrill that I have never known
You smiled, and then the spell was cast
And here we are in heaven
And you are mine at last

I just love this song. I tried to find a good video of Ella Fitzgerald or Etta James but the audio wasn't very good in them. Here's the song from a movie clip. Do you love this song too????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fSY_S45rZ4&feature=related

Songbird makes my heart sing.... ♥

Thumbnail by Brinda
(Zone 9b)

Shoot Miss Brinderful now you have me listening to You Tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njph0QyXcKs&feature=related

You know how that goes, one things leads to another and then it is 6PM and Tom is at the door looking for his dinner and I still think it is morning.......................... Etta James is better than Christina Aguilera I think.

So C. Henna is at Select Seeds? How do I find other new releases to look at, Juanita? Oh Dear!

Hey I may be rich. I bought a pair of earrings on ebay for my birthday for too much money. I then returned them for they were so ugly and told Tom a thousand times how I reutrned them so I really had not spent as much money as it may appear. Now that money, is sitting in my paypal account. So does anyone know, does it get applied back to the credit card or does it stay in my paypal account forever? I may have lots of coleus in my future if Tom has forgotten about it.

PS I love Watermelon too! I am so in the mood for coleus.

I am a Slave to my Coleus Love! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkN6l764NT8&feature=related

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

No Brinda there isn't any coleus in our markets yet. Just tulips and that sort of thing. I have been watching though. everytime I go some place I go looking to see if they have come in yet. :(. Guess it is still to early around here for them.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Ahhh, always loved Roxy Music & Bryan Ferry!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zJdbpzfJMs&feature=related

Hi Brinda!! So sorry about the snow, real warm here! T-shirt & flip flop weather. My co-op coleus come next week, whoo hoo.

(Zone 9b)

Oh Sue, I have had a crush on Brian Ferry since I first saw him in concert. I think he is so sexy when he sings to me. This is my favorite song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWJDLgfzNgQ

Yes, summer here. Actually too hot for me.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Kell, I think Etta is much better than Christina Aguilera. But I do think that Beyonce does it very well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8FHwsATN0E&feature=related But I would have sworn that Ella Fitzgerald did that song too but I sure can't find anything on it.

flowerfantasy, I don't know what I was thinking. For some reason I had you further south than you are. Hmmm.... what a concept, I wish I were further south right now.

Oh Kell, I had never even heard of Brian Ferry til you sent me that link a few weeks ago. At first I didn't care for him but the more I listen, the more I like.

Hi Sue! :) I'm so jealous... I want real warm & flip-flop weather. I just love wearing flip flops. It's still snowing here.

Hey Kell, if you have money in your paypal account it will just stay there until you do something with it..... LIKE SPEND IT. LOL

(Zone 9b)

LOL. Like send you some. I just remembered I owe you. I better pay you fast before it is gone.

You better love Brian Brin if we are to remain twins.

I was just listening to Brian as I killed flies. I just want to say if you are voyeur on the Coleus Forum, Brian I love you I love you I love you even with your white shoes on! Do not be insecure, I am yours. This makes Tom so happy too, he has been trying to unload me for years.

Here he is in lime green, very coleus like of him don't you think? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMSeOFyskRk&NR=1

I'd say he is a metro man. LOL

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Brinda for the new thread. I couldn't keep up with it as good as you while you were gone. :0). See we really, really need you here.

Sorry you have snow, and would you please keep it. It has been raining all day. My new greenhouse came yesterday and I have been outside 3 different times to open the box and get started putting it together. Every time I get it all ready to go it starts raining again. I finally gave up. Maybe tomorrow.

Juanita

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Brinda I don't think I would want to be farther south right now . About a 100 miles south of me they have some tornado watches out, so I am glad right now I'm here LOL

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm Home! Had a wonderful visit with our wonderful new grandbaby...

Had a terrible trip home however, Can you believe we traveled 1200 miles(round trip)
only to be slamed by a suv 50 miles from home. everyone involved is safe we are bruised and sore ,but all will heal.

The new baby,, Jerric

Thumbnail by georgiagarden3
Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

one more

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Poor truck was totaled,

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

congrats on the baby.... condolences on the truck.. glad everyone is ok though

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

gg I think I believe in the saying that accidents mostly happen close to home. Am so sorry that you were involved in it and Glad you all weren't hurt.

Baby is adorable. Con grats again.

Midwest City, OK(Zone 7b)

What a beautiful baby! Congratulations... so sorry about the truck but glad everyone is safe. Take care, please.

I have been eyeing coleuses are several different vendors and I have some basic coleus questions, if I may.. if this has been answered on other threads, please point me there. I do not want to waste your time.

First, I am seeing several vendors who have very similar plants with different names. Is this a usual thing that the plants are being renamed because they are not sure what they are, or just similar plants?

Second, Kong, Giant Exhibition, etc. Are these special or just named that by the vendor? (LOL, all coleuses are special, but you understand my question hopefully!)

Also, I'm finding "new" coleuses, but perhaps they are just new to that vendor. Is there a definitive list of new coleuses for each year. I wish these bugs would quit biting me...I'm bitten for sure on the coleuses. ^_^

Hope everyone is safe from these nasty storms. Thanks! Peg

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh Pheadra, Jerric is such a cutie! And I love his name too! Congrats on a beautiful healthy young man! And wow, you guys were so lucky that you walked away from that accident. What is that truck? Is that your Ranger or is it an F150, it's difficult for me to tell in the pic. I'm so happy that you & Collier are home safe & sound.

Peg, if you're looking at the Rosy Dawn site, I would say that everything they have written on their site is true. I've never ordered from Gebhart's before (but I'm going to soooooon) but I would also say that what they have written is right.

To me, there are quite a few coleus out there that have been renamed. Right now there is a discussion going on in the forum about Watermelon vs Micanopy http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/965828/ To me, they both look the same but to some they do not. I've always thought they were the same coleus but keep in mind that I have not grown both of them so I really couldn't tell you for sure. Looking at pics of both of them they do look a bit different but that could be because of their growing conditions.

Micanopy is a Florida City Series and most of the FC series coleus look to be a renamed coleus to me. That certainly does not mean that it's the truth, just what my eyes see. Either way, they are beautiful.

I have never grown the Giant Exhibition but I have grown Kong. I have had 1 Kong and that was all I wanted. They have huge beautiful leaves but they really need full shade and no wind at all or the leaves will shred and they look really bad.

Juanita, I need to be here too! LOL I feel so much better now that the 'black cloud' has moved away from hovering over my head. Sheesh... what a long miserable winter.

Juanita, what is your forcast? Is all of this snow heading your way? I sure hope not, it was miserable for sure!!! Tell me about the greenhouse??? I'm still behind on threads, so I've missed it if you told everyone. You are so lucky... I want a greenhouse! I want enough room to be able to have a greenhouse. LOL

Oh Kell!!!! That green suit did it for me, I am in love! LOL And this might be one of the funniest statements to date. I spit my coffee on this one....

Quoting:
I just want to say if you are voyeur on the Coleus Forum, Brian I love you I love you I love you even with your white shoes on! Do not be insecure, I am yours. This makes Tom so happy too, he has been trying to unload me for years.

Have a beautiful day everyone.... ♥

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Hey Brin,

The greenhouse is just a temporary facility for hardening off. It is only 7 feet x 4 feet x 6 feet tall. Raining again so I won't get it put together today either.

Since Kell is always posting pictures of the yummy food she gets to eat, I have one for you all. Made these last night. Pork potstickers and sticky rice. Not that hard to do technically, but very time consuming.

Juanita

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

i love potstickers.... yum

(Zone 9b)

You are so lucky Pheadra to have such a beautiful baby as Jerric! What a doll. Too bad he is so far away. I bet you can't wait to go back. So sorry that accident. You really got socked there. That is terrible. And how scary! I am so glad you are all alright. What an end to a trip.

Oh Brin, you made my day! We ARE twins! LOL

Peg, I have bought many Kong coleus and for some reason they never grow. They just sit there so only rarely do I get sucked into them now. I have seen some Giant Exhibition and I love them! I love them all!

I didn't know you were a great cook, Juanita. Those look so good. The potstickers looks so perfect. What did you stuff them with? They look big too. I wish I was sitting in front of that plate, I really do.

Not sure I have ever had sticky rice. What is it like? Besides being sticky. LOL

I am so in the mood for coleus!

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Kell the potstickers have a ground pork, napa cabbage and scallion filling with ginger and other spices. I cheated and used purchased wrappers and some I got too full. The sticky rice is a Japanese thing using sushi rice and seasoned rice vinegar. I'm sure you've had something like it at your Sushi place.

Pheadra, so glad you are OK. That looks bad. Probably a soccer Mom on a cell phone in the SUV right?? :0) That's we have around here. They are usually talking on the phone driving these huge Navigators and Hummers and filing their nails. Hope I didn't offend anyone. :0)

Juanita

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hey, watch it with the soccer Mom & SUV talk! LOLOL That is meeeeeeeeeee.....

But I never file my nails while I drive.

Juanita, you have so many talents. I need to learn to cook like that. Allan would be so proud of me as he's traveled the world more than once and I'm sure he would appreciate something other than beans & cornbread. LOL

(Zone 9b)

I wish I could cook like that too. I am such a boring cook with such a limited repertoire. I love any kind of dumpling too. Your filling sounds so good. I woke up hungry this morning. And oh yes, sushi rice. I try not to eat much of that but I love it esp dunked in wasabi with a bit of soy. I usually have sashimi.

I just have to cook till April 15th. I am so out of ideas. I made fried fish in a frying pan the other night. That was my one good dinner all week. I seem to only make 1 good dinner out of the 5 I cook. The rest are almost inedible. Tonight I want to finagle going out. There is a Cuban restaurant I want to go back too. Though Tom will be too tired. He is working 7 days a week, 12 hour days. Poor Tom. Double poor Tom for he has to eat what I cook.

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Ladies, its easy to cook when you've been doing it for 40 years or so. :0) My Mom worked and she would leave me directions for what to make for dinner when I came home from school. That's how I learned. Started out with easy baking when I was 9 or 10 and went from there. I'll try anything once.

Got a break in the weather and managed to get the greenhouse together. It was scary easy to put up. I did all by myself in less than an hour.

Here's a pic before I put the cover on.

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

With the cover...

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

The inside..

Just had a doozy of a storm here and the greenhouse did really well in the wind and the rain.

Juanita

This message was edited Mar 29, 2009 5:37 PM

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Lastly, this fellow just emerged from hibernation. Don't look Brinda...

We have lived here almost 22 years and I have never seen a frog this big here. The bricks he is sitting on are 6 inches long. At first I thought he was dead, and then he blinked and has since moved. It looks like a river frog, but if it is he shouldn't be here. They are supposed to be in SC and south. If anybody knows for sure, let me know. Named him "Jabba" for obvious reasons. :0)

Juanita

This message was edited Mar 29, 2009 5:37 PM

Thumbnail by rvnsbrk
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh no, I looked!

That is one nasty looking slimy critter. I would just die if I ran into that one. Eeeewwww, I get chills just thinking about it. Did he scare you when you saw him? My luck the stupid cat or one of the dogs would bring him in the house and I would be home alone. Eeeewww, there goes those chills again.

Juanita, I so need that greenhouse. I love it so much. Where in the world did you get it? And you put it together all by yourself? Wow, it would have to be super simple for me to do that. I want it... I need it and I gotta have one!

Cooking? LOL I can cook just fine, but do I? I'm a fairly good cook or at least my family thinks that I am. Or maybe it's just that when I do cook they are so excited or surprises that they tell me how great it is. You were lucky Juanita that your Mom taught you to cook. When I was growing up, it was just me & my Mom and she worked long hours so we have things like fried taters & cornbread or beans & cornbread. We didn't eat high on the hog at all and some days I wonder how the heck she managed to raise me without any child support at all. She's a strong one....

I have been working real hard this week. I got a great incentive to make loads of money for the week and my first reaction was... heck yeah, I'm gonna make $1000.00 this week. Well, I've worked so hard that I may actually double that amount and I can't wait for the week to be over cuz I got some shoppin to do! LOL

Back to work....

Kell, if you liked Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music, you'll probably like the music of Colin Vearncombe from the group Black, also from the 80's. We have a collection of most of their songs on our iTunes list, beautiful romantic songs a lot like Bryan Ferry sings.
This is a favorite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFlLsQ-tL7Y&feature=related
and this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqJ4N6Z7l00&feature=related
http://www.amazon.com/Wonderful-Life-Black/dp/B000002GHN

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Hey Brinda,

Sounds like me. My Mom didn't have child support either. I'm actually putting her in for sainthood. :0) She did great with what she had and is the best Mom ever!!

The greenhouse came from Charley's Greenhouses in CA. It only cost 159.00. I couldn't believe how well made it is for that money. I think it will be very handy to extend the seasons here. I can the brugs going in there in the Fall for a while.

Juanita

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

This is "Mom" chiming in. Thanks for the compliment, Juanita. I can certainly return the compliment by saying that she is the "best daughter ever." And that's a fact, not just a mother's opinion. :-0

As for the cooking, Juanita is a great gourmet cook. When I visited on Friday she gave me seafood lasagne that she had made, and it was absolutely delicious. She might have learned the simple basics at home, but as I said before, she is an absolute genuis at anything she does, and that includes cooking. Guess I'd better shut up now before the rest of you get sick of my motherly admiration for her.

Martha

This message was edited Mar 29, 2009 8:29 PM

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

good luck with the greenhouse... make sure you give us updates how it's going

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

The greenhouse survived the storm we had yesterday in good shape. The inside temperature was only about 42 this morning, but I forgot to put another thermometer outside to compare. :0) Will rectify that today. I think it is going to be terrific, and I can always run one of my greenhouse heaters from the garage in there if necessary.

Juanita

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey Girls/Women here ...
Can you give some advise!! I live in Mich. and love coleus. i have 25 of my New coleus from Rosey D.
parked on my light shelf. Now i want to get cuttings from North Carolina Farms. Is it too early to guarantee their safe shipping?? i am fearful of the cold here but if i don't order soon I won't have them growing very well by early summer for my potting up!
Can I order and ship now and just cross my fingers? Or what??
Julie

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I had mine shipped on Feb 10th... overnight... they are all fine

(Zone 9b)

Oh my I looked too. I think that froggie has tumors. HE will eat a lot of bugs! I thought he was sitting on a picnic table looking at the small pic and I thought he was just HUGE! LOL. He is huge, just not that huge. LOL

Juanita, I have been cooking for many years and it is not easy. LOL. At least if you want it to taste good. Your GH is so great, what a great deal. Perfect for Brin. Think no more flats in your kitchen, Brin. Then again, maybe just that many more flats in your kitchen and also in your new GH! Hi Juanita's Mom!

Sue, no one can take the place of Brian Ferry in my dreams. LOL. I am listening to your Colin Vearncombe, not bad but not a rock n roller like Ferry. Maybe if he dyed his hair black there would be a hot connection. LOL. But he just doesn't have that lounge lizard look I am so fond of. That second video is very cool. It is a wonderful life.

PS Brian, really Bryan, was so big in the 70s. I am older than you. Thanks for linking those songs! I have spent an hour goofing off on YouTube! LOL

Jazzy I wish I could help but I have no clue. I am sure someone else will know. I know Brin got cuttings already but she is in zone 7B.

I bought such a pretty coleus yesterday. It is in my car. I will take pics later. I did not recognize it maybe someone here will.

I am now listening to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeVJ2PAzUOA. LOL

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning everyone!

Martha, brag away! I think it's wonderful that you & Juanita have such a great relationship. There is nothing like a mother's love.

Shoot Juanita, I was so excited and jazzed about that greenhouse and Allan shot it down. What a party pooper he is. We live on a hill and have such high winds and he thinks it will be gone in less than a week. And probably he is right. I am just sooo bummed!!!!

While I was searching greenhouses, look what I found. You have to read the fine print on the coupon and then read what the seller says under it. LOL What a hoot. I have so many of those coupons now that I probably will not use them all. http://cgi.ebay.com/500-OFF-GREENHOUSE-STORAGE-SHED-GREEN-HOT-HOUSE-TUB_W0QQitemZ180340618038QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item180340618038&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A2|294%3A50 If the link doesn't post, it is Item number: 180340618038.

Jazzy, when is your last frost date? I always have great luck with NCFarms cuttings and have been really lucky so far not to have them delivered when it is freezing outside. If I were you, I would contact Brad via telephone and place your order when you know you will be above freezing. Tell him your concerns, he is great to work with.

Kell, I can't wait to see your new coleus. And you should post that gorgeous pic of that bush I was looking at this morning. Your happy flower? I'm in love with that thing. Wonder what zone it is hardy to? Probably not z7. I looked in plantfiles but it doesn't say anything about zones.

Onewish, if you got your cuttings in Feb then they must be really big by now. Share some pics with us.

Gotta run... gotta work! ♥

Is this the coleus/music forum?!!
You're link just went to Youtube home page.

Chris Isaak always gives me chills, I saw him in concert with my daughter one year, om my!
This is my favorite one by him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uw4V5yt1-w&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLGDAGJxt-Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM1WTmtuwxc

My theme song after buying too many plants, again!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRHFo1ccASw&feature=related

This message was edited Mar 30, 2009 8:27 PM

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Yes, I asked admin to change the name of the forum! LOL Kidding....

MmmMmMmmmmm Good Sue! I think Kell's Brian Ferry has some serious competition. This Chris guy is a looker and he could sing to me anytime. I love his voice in Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing. And I'm a huge fan of Roy Orbison, he did that song well too.

I must live a sheltered life or something because I have never even heard of any of these people.

Did you miss the 80"s?? LOL Some of Chris' singing reminds me of Elvis.

Coleus coming this week, can hardly wait!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
(Zone 9b)

Too funny Sue, your http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRHFo1ccASw&feature=related is my theme song. I have to go buy some dinner to make like a good wife tonight (where is Juanita when you need her?) and I thought I would stop by for a mini fix at OSH and maybe Target. LOL. I am beyond hope. You bad bad thing. Hey Brin is a bad bad thing too. The CF new name can be BAD, BAD THINGS! Gosh that has a great beat. I am dancing in my chair while I take my energy treatment. Somethings working.

Where are you getting your coleus from Sue? I need some too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.