Ho Hum, and What to do?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, Roybird, I know it does not need to be complex, but haven't you ever been in a situation where the simplest plans continued being thwarted? That is what this felt like.

I need to contain my compost. In many locations that is not an issue, but here, it is. I am not willing to invest in some expensive plastic box, or in some heavy wooden construction project. Alls I needed was a cylinder of fencing. This is how I do it. Once I have my cylinder I am good to go. I know what to put in it, what it needs, how moist it needs to be, all that stuff. I am actually a certified Master Composter, b'lieve it or not. ;-)

LOL Mulch, this was a most excellent tantrum. I would rather skip that part, but honestly I felt I had been being good and patient with a bunch of nonsense for way way too long. Plus I had to get the garden fairies' attention and let them know in no uncertain terms that I required some assistance! I had looked through that junk before, more than once, but not found what I needed. Today, I was not going to be stopped. I said "Okay, I want to walk out there and find what I need and there is no reason that should not be easy to do."

Voila.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Nice! That was a very effective tantrum! BTW, I used to be very good at living alone as well... loved it, but living with the RIGHT person is indeed very wonderful. Living with the wrong person can be he!!....

Reno, NV

Some times tantrums are nessesary and it sounds like it got the garden fairy to notice.

Santa Fe, NM

Gee, Kyla, I never have a day where anything goes wrong, one thing after another! Everything is always lovely, easy and perfect for me which is why I never ever throw fits! Remember what day this is? Currently we have 36 degrees and blowing snow. I am practically delirious with joy.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Delirious all right.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I'm thinking roybird has been enjoying some April 1st juice.

Santa Fe, NM

Not yet. I've been painting and have a 2 hour tai chi class tonight which is fairly difficult. By the time I get home I'll be ready for a refreshing beverage. I've been staying indoors too much, tho.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, I am about deciding I oughta throw more fits.

No real close neighbors to hear me yell, either. This is actually a perfect fit-throwing environment. Inspiration, opportunity, and means, all so very available.

gee, I am *SO* blessed.

Roybird, I hope the snow is at least bringing water with it. I never understood about "evaporating snow" til I came to this forum; that would probably be good fit-throwing inspiration right there.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Kyla,
I suppose this would be a terrible time to start a conversation about gratitude, huh?

Evaporating snow is half the reason we never had to shovel the driveway until the wind piled drifts in unusual patterns the other day. Wind is the other half of the reason, it generally blows the snow into the next county or somewhere.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

LOL Roybird!

Kylaluz! You're so industrious and creative. I'm totally inspired by your ability to overcome obstacles and do things so cost effectively and without all the modern gadgets I've been convinced I need from the reading I've done. I think I'm reading the wrong books! Well truthfully, I haven't read ANY books. I've just read online and forums and asked questions when that didn't work. Speaking of which, I think I have a few unsolved mysterious I should post soon.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Mulch, why, no, I am very grateful they have not yet carted me away and locked me in a deep room no one knows about, LOL!

kTalia, it's true what they say about necessity being the mother of invention. ;-)

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Reading is almost always good and helpful. Read a few books with differing opinions on a subject and you can start to see the pros & cons of each approach. Its also common for the way one person recommends to do something to be the way they like to do it, not necessarily the only way.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I am curious about the unsolved mysteries kTalia has been saving up.......

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

They're not really rocket science, just things that aren't easy to research if you don't know the right key words to type in. If I ever stop getting distracted by 10 other things at the same time, I'll get a post up. Oh, I'll have to get pictures to help ahead of time too.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Mulch, and all, I so appreciate your suggestions and support. DH and I still continue to stuggle with the house cleaning business. We both hate it, is the big problem. But he still works all day and acts at night which leaves me with all the trivia. I haven't reached the point where I am willing to let the whole place go to hell in a hand basket, but I have thought about it. Who knows what we will do, but we still love and admire each other. it is a mutual failing.
I don't do temper tantrums -- will almost never. DH does, but they are funny. When he can't find something he wants he gets all huffy and starts talking about how he can't find anything! I say, well, are you even looking? It usually right in front of him. We joke about "male pattern recognition disability" as his problem and we laugh about it. But the truth is, that he grew up being waited on hand and foot by and adoring mother and grandmother who ran to get anything he wanted.
I have been slowly but surely trying to inject laughter into the tantrums and it has worked, but we aren't doing as well with cleanliness. We do have a cleaning lady at least once a week, but she only cleans. She doesn't know what to do with all our papers and books, etc. She is a dear and hardworking person, but in the end she can't solve our problems. Sigh.
I hate finding out that he enemy is us! But that is the case.
DH and I struggle daily with the stuff we must learn to either dispose of or organize. We aren't there yet.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

That is my downfall with clean and orderly - all the stuff that is somewhat important but isn't as important as the things I need to deal with today.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Me too. I always have projects piled on projects as some get interrupted by others which suddenly have earlier deadlines. I get them all done over time, but it tends to create an ongoing mess of clutter, especially in the computer room.

And if I have a choice between washing the windows and creating a painting, I paint. I get paid for painting, but not for washing my own windows. Besides which, I would rather paint than anything else.

Reno, NV

I have an on going clutter cursade at my house. We continualy sort and donate things. Need to get back to it soon as some of it is pileing up. I try to be pretty ruthless about getting rid of things, my biggest fail spots are art supplies and photos. But I'm slowly getting the photos in albums where they can be enjoyed.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Photos never go in albums in my house. But we have been living here so long we started pretending we are moving and began getting rid of the stuff that just seems to accumulate. Then DH had his accident and we lost momentum on that project. Would like to get back to it before summer busy season.

Reno, NV

That sounds like a good motivater:) I got my DH really into it by reminding him that his family was coming for the holidays. We've kind of lost momentum as well. Maybe I'll do some work on that tonight.

Santa Fe, NM

Pajarito, you have a pretty, comfortable, lively house! It is not nearly as bad as you think, at least that I saw. Maybe it was all cleaned up that day. I don't know. And I don't care! People are ever so much more interesting if you can look at their bookshelves and knick knacks and stuff laying around. Now, it can reach critical mass. I like Mulch's idea of pretending to be moving! That's a good one. I have thought about renting a dumpster one day. The cost would motivate me to fill it up. I think that can be done. And the dumpster rental company will also haul it away.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Well, I do work on the house but I was amazed how fast it filled up after we moved in. Both DH and I are bad about throwing/giving things away, but I am improving measure by measure. I do think most people find my house interesting if not tidy, and I, like mulch cannot convince myself to wash windows or sort papers when it is bright and sunny outside. When it is rainy and yukky, I usually work on some project that just makes things worse. DH has absolutely no problem with our housekeeping except when he can't find something.
I have books in my car that need to the library book donation store. I have 4 barbecue pits, two can go. And as dparsons says, I have papers that might be important to save but not as important as the ones I actually file. Oh, we muddle along fairly well until we have ugly weather -- when DH goes to the theater and I sit home and look at the mess, but don't do all that much about it.
Thank goodness spring is on the way!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well there are certainly recent dilemnas afoot regarding the big thing in the middle of the garden! We have a pretty casual approach to the big thing. If things get really scary, one of us will tip off the other with a good line. My favorite: 'Luv, do you need to use the bathroom? Just wondering cuz I'm gonna mix a bunch of toxic chemicals together from all these bottles and then spray it down by reversing the vacuum. Hopefully it will kill whatevers living in there" A DH classic: 'Hon, are you gardening in the containers at the back of the fridge?" (I LUV that one ^_^)

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I have plant pots in the back of one of my fridges, so I am gardening in there.

(Thank you for the spelling correction. Sometimes I just type too fast)

This message was edited Apr 2, 2009 2:27 PM

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Gargening is probably okay, but not gangrening.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

He only says that if they are mysterys that are probably gangreening ewww

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Dahlianut: What pray tell is the "Big thing in the middle of the garden?" Did I miss that?

Pajaritomt: Your comments have me concerned. I'm afraid I've spent so much time worrying about how to raise kids and plants I didn't realize I should really be worrying about, and trying to figure out, what to do about my house. Why would you wash a window? wouldn't the rain and dirt just be there again tomorrow? And what sort of papers should I be sorting and filing??? I thought once you read them and pay them you just toss them or compost them!!? Now I really am worried.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I'm concerned kTalia. I don't think you worry enough and that is of great concern. If I were you I'd be worried about it too. There must be thousands of insignificant things you should be spending your time fretting over.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

I think you're right. I gotta go worry about how to figure it all out! Bye!

But seriously, bed time. I hope.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The 'Big Thing in the Middle of the Garden' is where I sleep, bubblebath and store my dahlias kTalia. Sometimes it's not in the middle, but mine is. O and it's home to the coffee machine too.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

kTalia, Dahlianut lacks the word "house" in her vocabulary, but we seem to be able to live with it.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

(Hitting self in head) Ok, yes. I'm gullible and slow. Hehe.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It's a ridiculous word so red-lined it out of my dictionary.

Santa Fe, NM

I think I will follow suit. Houses are so tiresome compared to gardens. OOps. I used the h-word!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Okay, guys, I am going to have to spend more time on more important things than the h-word. I will celebrate by our long postponed lunch in Santa Fe with roybird!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm not able to join you sigh. Apparently, although there is free parking for planes, there is no guy to wave the orange light swords for plane parking at the restaurant.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I appreciate the big thing in the middle of the garden when it is cold, windy, and rainy and I'm sitting on the soft couch, warm and dry and sipping a cup of hot cocoa and listening to music.

Santa Fe, NM

Now, that's true! Try living in a tent for a few days and the big thing looks better. When Are you coming up for lunch, Dparson? I will give you a garden tour, such as it is. Our large thing in the middle of the small garden is within walking distance of the train station, as I think I have mentioned before. Not a particularly lovely walk, however. That's the railyard area station not the d.o.t. although that is also walkable just longer and uglier.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

We need to pick a date roybird (pajarito?). My schedule is somewhat limited. I use most of my days off to coincide with school vacations. Weekends right now are mostly half dedicated to baseball season as Ian is playing for a little leage team and has a games scheduled through early June. I'll have to check the calendar on which Saturdays & Sundays I have open. I also should have April 10th and 13th (adjacent to Easter).

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Actually I spent a summer in a sheepherder's tent in the Rockies near Estes Park, Colorado. We were in the woods by a creek and it was completely delightful.

And my hoop house actually was a home for a couple in Colorado while they built their cabin. Tents that are large enough and have wood stoves can be great.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.