Ho Hum, and What to do?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

A house is very similar to a tent. Main difference is a house is usually not intended to be transportable and is (usually) a bit more robust in construction.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I don't think most tents come with bubblebaths (necessary feature) or a cold room to store your dahlias although a root cellar would work. Mulch did your tent have a root cellar?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Add plumbing to the major feature list for houses and not tents. Kinda goes with the permanent structure thing.

A bubble bath is a matter of putting bubbles in your bath. You can put a tub in a large tent and fill it with hot water and bubbles. Comes back to plumbing as the big difference - for convenience.

A tent is a cold room during the Winter. A root cellar can be a hole dug in the ground with a door (board) on it. For tent living I'd probably want the hole and the access outside the tent and uphill from the bathroom.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

No, it had tree roots instead. Why would I want to store dahlia tubers in the summer anyway? We were only there for the summer.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

"A bubble bath is a matter of putting bubbles in your bath". Dparsons that would be BubbleBaths 101. I am into Master Bubblebaths.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Oooooooo.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Fancy, schmancy! Good thing you have plumbing.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I am into Zen/Tao bubble baths, cause of not having bathtub.

But, the tent idea! !!!!!!!!! There are *two* perfectly good old tubs in the junk place back and nextdoor.

No reason not to set one upright and put a tent around it.......... well, t here may be a few other logistical issues, but I bet it could be done.

Before I moved out here I had the loveliest big old tub and I do miss it! Dwellings with showers only are cruel.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It's not the same wearing waterwings in a shower either. Showers lack the floatyness of baths.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

You've apparently found a new project Kyla.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Only one of many qualities of baths that showers lack.

Oh I should not have started thinking about this in detail, it is going to make me sad longing for the old bathtub, LOL!

*sigh* scents and oils and salts and bubbles and the little ledge on the edge that is just right for the refreshing beverage, the candles, the other little place that is just right to put the phone in case you want to chat with someone while in the bath, the music (can't hear bath music very well with the shower running, now can you?). Etc.

edit:
Oh, Dparsons, I was responding to the part about floating..........

I am not sure I want a project, but I fear you are right, that I've found one. ;-)

This message was edited Apr 3, 2009 12:27 PM

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Showers can have floatyness if properly sealed and reinforced dahlianut. Generally tubs are a better option for that though.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I find many potential projects that, after enough reflection, are not ones I pursue. But just to encourage you in this process, you can get adapters to attach a hose to the hot water faucet in the sink so you can run hot water out to a bathtub in a tent. ;)

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Kyla, you may also find that your water heater is equiped with a small hose-thread spigot at the bottom. This is used to drain the water heater for repairs or crud removal but would also work perfectly well for filling an outdoor tub.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It seems the very doable Kyla. Dparsons wouldn't a sealed shower lose its waftiness which is very beneficial for humidification purposes? Waftiness is a very important shower feature IMPO.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the tips, folks. But the tubs are way pretty far away from the house, sink, or water heater, so that is the first issue, is it actually doable in reasonable fashion to get water out there?

This may be a cool tub for the summer, at least at first. If I do it at all.

But the water heater thing may be worth pursuing......

I have a friend who has a very large shower stall and she purchased a very large plastic tote and uses it as a tub. She h as a sheet of styrofoam to put under it to insulate it. She is also about 4 feet tall which helps if you are trying to bathe in a plastic tote. It is a real big one though. She just stores it in a closet between baths.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

You can't seal it all the way up to the ceiling. I certainly wouldn't. I'd want the water somewhere between my chest and my neck so I wouldn't have to tread water, but could float easily. Of course, I have a tub so I wouldn't do this anyway.

If you want a visual on the floaty shower, it has been done in several movies. I'll ponder movie names for a bit. "The Return of the Pink Panther" comes to mind, but I think that was the whole bathroom actually.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Bathroom showers are very European. We want to do that when we remodel the bathroom. Of course the Master Bubblebath tub gets its own special room ^_^

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

You must be very wealthy dahlianut. European architecture and special rooms just for bubble baths.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

We're knocking out a wall and combining 2 rooms. European style is tyling everything so it can get wet. Also my true luv works for a lighting and plumbing company so he gets very fabby deals on plumbing and lighting. It just sounds more fancy/dancy that it's really going to be.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Sounds deluxe and no reason it won't be. You can do some great things when you do them yourself and the price doesn't become prohibitive. Durable and functional are generally not expensive, just harder to find.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Ooh Dahlia, your bathroom sounds wonderful. I wish our house was big enough for a separate bubble bath room. We bought marble tile for our bathroom at costco. It's sort of cream and tan colored with pink veins. We did the small bathroom last summer and the master bath was scheduled for this summer but it might get delayed.

I never would have thought of Costco carrying tile but we saw it one day and that started the whole project. We bought the bamboo floor planks there too.

Reno, NV

When we dog sit for the inlaws we use their tub. Big ol two person jacuzzi tub. Wonderful. Word of warning- don't use bubbles in a jacuzzi tub. You will not be able to find your way out of them.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The future Bubblebath Room will share the space with some comfy reading chairs and a fireplace and french doors to the garden. Currently this room is my office. I think it's very progressive to replace your desk with a bubblebath.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

That would solve a lot of paperwork filing problems.

Reno, NV

Down with desks! Up with bubble proof laptops!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Dahlia, are you sure you're not descended from the captain of the Golgafrincham Ark B?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Probably so. I have always known the answer is 42.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Do you know what the question was?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Nope. The question lies in someone else's family tree.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Part of the reason for the answer of 42 is that the question was not well defined. If better job of asking the question is done, then the resulting answer is

"Why not?"

which makes a whole lot more sense.

This message was edited Apr 3, 2009 4:06 PM

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Are you sure? I thought it was "Why knot?"

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

If that makes more sense to you then I suggest you go with it.

Reno, NV

Because if I don't I trip over the laces.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

You are very wise Duchess. Others have opted for velcro.

Reno, NV

Snort =)

Santa Fe, NM

Dparsons, just let me know. There is one weekend in April when I'm attending a tai chi workshop, I think it is the 18th,19th. I have classes on Saturday mornings but can generally get out of it unless I have to sub. Paja and I had papas frita today and she bought something very cool which she can tell you about!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, the yuccas fritas were very good and very filling. And then I ordered a sandwich that came with papas fritas which were also very good. We had a great day. Trying to figure out which thread my new purchase belongs on. I will post it. First must water outdoor plants.
I am free April 10 and 13 and most of the time up until April 18 -- when I must prepare to leave on the 19th to take MIL ( with DH) to Mayo Clinic. She is actually not as bad off as it sounds, but the doctors here have thrown up their hands. Anyhow I will probably be unavailable April 18 - 25 aprox.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Sorry about your MIL pajarito. Hope she is OK and that they figure out what the issue is at the Mayo clinic.

I'm looking at the baseball schedule I just got this week. Ian's coach is very motivated. We have games or practice on all Saturdays through June 6th. We have practice on most Sundays. Exception for April is Easter (April 12), which I'm not sure if that is the best or not.

Friday April 10th or Monday April 13th? What's good for you Roybird?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

We don't know what is going on with MIL but she isn't really all that sick these days. Just tired. But at 88 I would be too. Anyhow, she has some symptoms that need to be checked. Bone cancer, originally a strong possibility, has been ruled out. We intend to make the trip as enjoyable as possible during times when she isn't scheduled for tests and/or treatment.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.