It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

What went wrong

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

I finally took my gourd out of my storage unit and cleaned it but it seems to be blotchy in areas,what did I do wrong? I like it but its not as pretty as I wanted it to be :>( I want to make it a bird house, so I havent drilled any holes yets. Any advice. Thanks
Christine

Notice the bottom???

This message was edited Apr 1, 2009 3:34 PM

Thumbnail by jasminesmom
Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

I don't know about anyone else but when the ones I have are blotchy like that I take fine sand paper and sand them down some. That helps . It is like all of the outer skin hasn't come off like it should have.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks flower, I'll try the fine sand paper.
Christine

Crossville, TN

I love the splotchy...it gives it character!!

It usually comes from where the mold was on it before....which makes for easy cleaning too.

That swan gourd is just crying out to be painted as a swan/goose!! If you plan to paint it all over...and you're sure all the "skin" is off...you don't need to sand the blotches off.

Here is a picture of a short handled dipper gourd that was curved just right...this was before I even knew there were such things as Swan Gourds...I thought it would make a nice Swan/goose... Jo

Thumbnail by roadrunner
Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Jo, your gourd is beautiful. Now you have me thinking LOL maybe I will
paint it.
Christine

Mesilla Park, NM

What a nice swan! It looks shy.. very nice.
A.

Crossville, TN

It's our "Christmas Goose"...it gets to be the center piece each year. Jo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images