How about some April flowers pic's?

Santa Fe, NM

Lets see what is blooming in April! I'm feeling like it isn't a great garden year, so far, but there are moments when something looks pretty. I love tulips!

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

I ran around taking pictures yesterday while it was nice out.

Thumbnail by roybird
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

WHOOO HOOO! Luvly lips roybird! Are they orange or red? It's hard to tell in the light.

Santa Fe, NM

Ah, the first pic is of the orange ones. The close-up one is red. I am horrible at remembering their names. I am always sticking in new ones, too. I should have some in here with bees. The bees were very active yesterday.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

I like all the little tulips, too. These are a reddish purple. Colors are pretty true with this camera.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

Trying to look at these thumbnail pics drives me crazy. I took 70 pictures yesterday! Threw some out and need to throw out more. But, I do like flowers! These little red ones are in the garden at La Casa Sena, my favorite garden area in town.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

They had these blue flowers that I'm not familiar with. I'll have to ask the gardener when I see her. Aren't these cool?

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

I'm going to make this the last one for now. I hope everyone will add more pic's! This photo has problems but Is this a Hellebore? There weren't many and they looked rather stressed.

Thumbnail by roybird
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I don't know what that last flower is, but I'm loving the pictures, especially love the blue one... I'd like to know what that is!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Blue one looks like squill/wood hyacinth (scilla siberica) and yes prettiful hellebore.

Reno, NV

Beutiful, Beutiful, Beutiful. Sigh. The only thing blooming is crocus. They're trying. This morning covered in frost and surounded by hail.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Beautiful!

Some from this morning...

Johnny-Jump-Ups

Thumbnail by kTalia
Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Sky Blue Lily

Thumbnail by kTalia
Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

and...

Checkered Lily

Thumbnail by kTalia
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Just beautiful!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I didn't have any luck with my first attempt at frits. I'm going to try them again in my new desert bed.

Reno, NV

kTalia- drool. I love those checkered lilies. If you ever have extra keep me in mind. More than happy to send shipping.

Ok back to drooling at all the prettyness

Santa Fe, NM

Oh, very pretty! The checkered lily - is it unusual? I don't think I 'd seen one before.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

Is it unusual?? Beats me. I just grabbed what was on the shelf at Ace Hardware! They really look more impressive in the picture than they really are. The color is very subtle and they are only about 6inches tall. The blend in with the mulch in my beds so the next time I work that bed, I want to move them some place where I can put some white ground cover around them so you can actually see them! I planted all these lilies about 4 years ago and they didn't bloom the first two years. I've noticed that pattern with my Tulips, Narcissus and Iris as well. I think my soil is so bad, it just takes that long for the plants to establish, acclimate and the soil upgrades to become sufficient enough. Who knows, I'm new to this still.

By the way, I'm hijacking internet access from someone up here! I suppose that belongs in the "dangerous" thread with the exploding cakes and veggies.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Hi-jacking internet access? Does that means you turned on your computer and you had internet access, not from your usual Internet Service Provider? We do that to. We have our own, but the computer I use doesn't have a Wi-fi board so when DH got his lap top for theater -- a year or two ago, we noticed that he had internet access and it wasn't from our house. We still don't know where it is coming from, but we think the next door neighbors, because once they went off for 2 or 3 weeks and our free internet access went away! When they returned it came back. At first, DH felt guilty for not confessing, but somewhere along the line he decided not to worry about it. Anyhow, these neighbors are very nice and wouldn't mind if they knew. That is if we know which neighbors we are getting access from.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Beautiful flower pics, roybird. And folks, I saw the ones from her yard today and they were magnificent. Roybird is very modest about her garden but it is loaded with blooming bulbs right now -- tulips, hyacinths, lovely pink violets and vinca. And lots of green stuff getting ready to show off. Here in Los Alamos, only 35 miles away, I have 2 crocus and 4 iris danfordiae in bloom and that's it!
I saw roybird's species tulips. They were small and bright colored and very healthy looking. Have added species tulips to my wish list. See entry number Post #6359197. They are a lot prettier not next to the, also beautiful orange ones above. Don't let roybird fool you -- she grows a lovely garden.
Before we went to her garden where we traded poop for spurge and violets we went to her local nursery where I spent way too much money and we both had fun.
What a delightful day!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

That sounds like an excellent day! I can't wait to see photos of everyone's gardens as the burst into color... sounds like some of you already have lots of color, come on, share with those of us getting more snow (like me, right now... it's been coming down sideways!).

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

It was a great day, but we are both expecting snow tonight -- or should I say, wishing for. Maybe not so much roybird's DH who has to haul the tropical plants in and out of the house with each storm. Nevertheless, it all looked terrific today and we had great fun buying wierd shoes and too many plants and eating at the local Salvadoran restaurants.
I do think spring is coming. I have faith! But not a lot of evidence in Los Alamos. Roybird's garden gives me hope.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

It sounds like you both had a wonderful day, thanks for sharing. Oh, I would really love to see pictures Roybird. Don't worry about bragging, think of it more like sharing your creative juices for others to learn from, seriously. I've learned at least as much from pictures as reading. They're like candy. Speaking of sharing, I hope as the season progresses others share some pictures and thoughts about their gardens as well.

The pictures I posted are the only flowers I have in bloom right now and I'm actually sort of thankful about that. Less to fret over with all the freezes and thaws. The plants from the bed I have in bloom are under the Linden tree which has never been on my "revamp list". So any early splurges from when we bought the house went into that one bed, making it much more established. So honestly, how many of you had already excavated and remodeled your yards in your head before the papers to purchase the place were even signed? I know I did.

And yes, I did just happen to open my laptop and notice I had access from who knows where. So I had my husband (the computer wiz) lock down my applications to password required and encrypt everything so no one takes off with anything private since I store most of our financial stuff on this computer. I never really took that seriously until I watched him hop into someones pc within 5 minutes and start browsing around. It was a neighbor, so he didn't bother anything, just tested some security stuff than went to the neighbors house and spent 30 minutes helping them secure their computers and private information.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Wifi is amazing. We haven't every looked at our neighbors computers. They are both statisticians and have two smart daughters so I am sure their house is full of computers. We just appreciate the wifi and use it only with DH's lap top which he mostly uses for his theatrical projects which require no internet use. Still it was surprising to realize he had free internet from the neighbors. We don't actually know for sure which neighbors WiFi we are using, but we think we do.

Santa Fe, NM

I had a great time yesterday and was glad to get some nice poop for my roses! Pajarito exaggerates about my bulbs. They are Trying to look nice but not having a great year. There will be more pictures, however. I think one problem I have with bulb gardening is that there is so much mulch and old leaf stuff around that the flowers are always on this brownish grey background. Obviously I need more bulbs and an early green ground cover. This is working out with the violets in the back but my front yard bulb bed isn't there yet. Plus, I want to have room for the summer perennials, too. It is too cold and windy to water today but I Have to tomorrow. No sign of snow here.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

And bulbs look best in clumps or drifts of the same kind. Sadly, I seem incapable of any type of formal planning. I forget which are early and which are later and then they change on their own every year anyway! I like it when we have a wet spring because all these things come up that I had forgotten about. This year, they all look battered to me.

Thumbnail by roybird
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I am so glad to hear that from a real artist. I am no good at formal garden planting either. I just plant where there is soil and no plant already there.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

So very pretty. I like the first picture with four different colors and heights!

Here's today color in the mountains at the In-Laws house. :D

Thumbnail by kTalia
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Cool Easter eggs. I was just wishing for some myself. Only I don't have any kids and no longer eat eggs. Maybe I could dye some and put one in each neighbor's mail box. That would make them think there really was an Easter bunny.

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

That's a nice idea. Or get plastic eggs and paper mache(sp) them and hang them in your window, or trees.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

"Sigh" No kids here either for coloring eggs, & my few flowers are crusted in ice!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

The flowers have not yet discovered that it is spring here in Los Alamos except for the brown forsythia and Apricot blossoms. I keep trying to cheer myself up. I know have 4 iris danforthiae up. They are tiny bright spots. If it warms up, tomorrow I will take a picture of them.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I got outside to take pictures yesterday. I was going to brag about how pretty my Nanking cherries are and how well they have endured the temps in the low 20s. Well, yesterday morning's low was 16 and the cherry blossoms didn't endure that. Now it's looking pretty withered. There are a lot of unopened buds so I hope some of those survive.

Thumbnail by Katlian
Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

My Persian fritilarias are looking kind of sad too.

Thumbnail by Katlian
Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

The tulips and daffodils and muscari didn't seem to mind the cold though.

This message was edited Apr 5, 2009 7:41 AM

Thumbnail by Katlian
Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Shorty tulips

Thumbnail by Katlian
Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Standard tulips

Thumbnail by Katlian
Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

daffodils

Thumbnail by Katlian
Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

A busy little bee on the muscari

Thumbnail by Katlian

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.