Solution to Spawn of Satan

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

There may not even be much rambling for the hapless writer to use.

Santa Fe, NM

They could be trained as entertainers and deciders. What more could anyone ask of a squirrel? They could run the ranch. Then they might start plotting against us. I will have to send my dragon to incinerate them all! Enough is enough! Meanwhile, I will sit in my quiet, sunny garden feeding lettuce to the tortoise.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

No the rancher spends his days bushwacking.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Snorkle!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I want a live tortise to go with my cast iron one. I fondly remember the one at the home of irisarian Peggy Naranjo in Roswell, NM, Tortellini, by name. Only thing I am not sure that Raja would ever understand that a tortise wasn't an enemy.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Don't be too sure. We had a mutt named Jimmy when I was a kid who had a pet turtle. He would carry it around and chew on its shell. That was how we knew it was always the same one, because of the chew marks on it.

One day we were walking to mailbox which was a quarter mile away. Jimmy was trying to bring the turtle, which was a bit large and awkward for him to carry that far. My mother impatiently told him to put it down and come on.

He was perplexed as he plainly did not want to lose his turtle. Then you could see the bright idea hit and he propped it up against a tree with its legs waving in the air. Dog trots off confidently to the mailbox with us.

One the way home he beelined for the tree and was horrified to see the turtle was gone. It had managed to flip itself over and had left. Nose to ground, off Jimmy went and shortly he reappeared with the turtle.

Santa Fe, NM

Now that sounds pretty smart! Where do you find these smart dogs? Oh, poor turtle, though..but perhaps he got to see more of the world that way!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

What a great story! Maybe Raja would enjoy a hard shelled companion. That turtle would get some wild rides because Raja is quite the runner. I took her to the dog park yesterday where she played with 5 other dogs and came home totally exhausted. She spent the rest of the evening sitting and leaning up against me. Doggie appreciation, I am sure.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Jimmy never hurt the turtle, just roughed up its shell.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think the crazy old cat would like a turtle friend. I want a toad though.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That is good to know. I imagine roughing up its shell isn't so bad -- probably like a large toenail or something. I notice that when Raja does play biting, the bites are very soft. Not when playing tug of war, however. They know when to bite hard and when not to!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Um Paj I'm not sure that the tortoises will be happy about calling their shells 'toenails' especially when they do already have toenails.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

It would be a little like calling your winter coat "shoes."

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

We had box turtles at one time. We put them in the garden to eat the bugs. They got out. Our dog attempted to eat them. We came home to Noah the dog tossing a turtle up in the air with great glee and chewing on it. He had managed to chew a hole in the shell about 3/4" in diameter. Took the turtle to the vet who told us no critical damage, cleaned up the wound, bandaged the hole, and told us the shell would grow back. It did. We ended up giving the turtles to our neighbor.

I think the memoirs are an attempt at conscious vacuuming.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I am beginning to think Noah is an interesting dog.

I would probably be better off vacuuming the carpet in the living room, but it is devilishly difficult with the easel, the paints, the palette stand, the photo flood lights, the tripod for the camera, and the furniture shoved in odd directions.

I shall continue conscious vacuuming instead. Nice term.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I do alot of conscious sweeping; mostly cuz I have a phobia about clean floors.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Noah was a great dog. He was 3/4 yellow labrador and 1/4 goat. I discovered that if I threw rocks he would chase and eat them, so I had to be careful with rocks. He also had a goatee. When we went sledding he would jump in front of the sled and try to outrun us. Once or twice he didn't make it and I ended up with a 60 lb dog in my lap, in addition to my daughter, zooming down the hill.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Oh, for a video of that!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I dogsat a retriever once and made the mistake of skipping rocks accross the lake while he was swimming. He stayed out there diving for a rock trying to 'retrieve' it til I swam out and hauled him back in by the collar. I'm sure he wouldn't let himself drown but whose gonna chance that! Not the pointested pencil in the box but a great dog.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Some memories are great. I hadn't thought about that for quite a while.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

LoL, dahlianut. Dogs do not give up easily.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

A golden retriever? They have a great good nature to them.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes. Wonderfully gentle and happy dogs.

Santa Fe, NM

Dogs can be quite dogged. I had golden retrievers for several years. Happy campers, they were! I hear they got over-bred by being too popular and they aren't as much fun as they used to be. I think they tend to be hyper. I could be wrong. I like pug dogs because they look so good in costumes. They all sound like they have asthma and look totally miserable no matter what they are doing. Which is rather amusing. Obviously, not a true dog person, sorry.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I love my pound dog. She is pretty hyper, but I think it is just puppyhood. I went through this with the collie I once got as a puppy. He was a very wild puppy for three years and settled into a gentle relaxed adult hood. Raja is getting calmer each day but she still has a long way to go. In 2 more years she will probably be more placid.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Yes, it takes a good 2 1/2 - 3 years for most dog, or at least the ones we have!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Raja is about 1 ( maybe 1 1/4) yrs. She is pure puppy but probably full grown in size. When she gets to crazy I take her to the dog park. Now that the weather has warmed up she runs with the other dogs. They wrestle and roll each other over and generally have a grand time. She comes home relaxed and happy. It is really cute.

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

I just scanned through this but the whole time the only thing I could envisioned was the movie Caddy Shack.............

Thumbnail by synda
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, that is what I have been thinking about the whole time too. Weapons! We need bigger weapons a la Dr. Strangelove.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

We need targeted bio weapons. A pox virus specific to demonic squirrels.

Santa Fe, NM

Since I don't have squirrels, I think they are cute! But gophers are another story.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

roybird, I'll be happy to cage some up and send some to you, how many?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I think squirrels are cute, too and I have some. They are Abert's Squirrel which only feed on the Ponderosa Pine. Since I don't see them harming the pines, they are no problem to me. And they don't store up food like other squirrels. If all squirrels were Abert's they would be a much loved animal. Gophers, however are a very different story. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abert%27s_Squirrel
http://www.nhptv.org/Natureworks/abertssquirrel.htm

They have nice big tufts of hair on their ears!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I've seen them and their nests quite a bit in the mountains.

Santa Fe, NM

I think two would be nice, Cathy! The Aberts squirrel is already in the area, though. Just not in my yard! The worst thing I have encountered here was bunny rabbits. Little, cute, escapee pet rabbits. Ate the flowers off all my marigolds in seconds! My in-laws have giant jack rabbits eating everything at their house.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Synda, great picture of the devil sqwerrel. lol

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I will be sleeping with my nightlight on.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I thought rabbits were not supposed to like marigolds!????

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think it's the bugs that hate marigolds Brenda.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Ahhh.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.