It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 150 - What is with this Weather???

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Sue, how are the kids doing? Are they feeling better, and any improvements ie the furnace filters doing the job? You are one brave lady, I could never do the physical exercise, especially now. Maybe, and I hope in the near future, I can get back into a walking program. However right now, my feet and ankles are giving me grief, and it is just too tough to get around inside.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Gads, Bonnie... I guess my lillies will be toast! They are up about as tall as yours; I never thought about them, just used some plastic buckets to cover the hostas which turn to mush if they freeze. Everything else, well... not enough blankets and I wouldn't use them anyway. With the rain and wet snow, they'd get soaked and later freeze onto the plants. Yuck.

Richard, my egg man, brought me 3 buffalo currant starts when we met up today. They are not a true currant, although often called a clove currant as well as buffalo currant. He says his kids love them right off the bush. Guess I need to dig more holes!

I got chilled while out in this slop meeting Richard, and even with a fire going, I can't seem to get warm. I think I'll go get under the covers!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, at 10:00 last night I decided that I needed to cover most of my Japanese Maples. The wind was something else! I did the best I could, but this morning there are only 3 of them covered. (I think). But there is no frost on the windshields of the vehicles, so maybe that is to be a good thing.

Exercise class later this morning so I'm off to check in a couple other places.

Hope you're all feeling better today.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Sue, way to go with your class! Housemate and I are starting an exercise program today, and then the four of us are checking out a gym to join tonite. All that exercise will be kicking my behind, too!

Darius, I'm sure looking forward to seeing your yard again, after all this planting you're doing! Sounds like by the time you get done planting fruit trees and bushes and enlarging the vegetable garden, that you aren't going to have much mowing area left. That ain't all bad, though!

(((Bonnie))), sure hope you get better soon!

Joyce, I think the wind has a lot to do why I don't lose more plants to frost up on our hilltop. It takes a hard freeze to really do much damage to my plants. Even my Hostas that do turn to mush, just keep sending up lots of new leaves. However, my 2 baby Japanese Maples may be another story. They were leafed out pretty good last week when I was back home.

Hoping for sunny skys up there!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, our more tender plants will just have to die, because Howie's already doing so much around here and I wouldn't ask him to go cover up a bunch of plants, too. We'll just have to see how everything fared. Several of the hosta are in protected areas and alongside our brick home's foundation, so they should be okay. I don't know how the tulips will do, but that's life I guess.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

GW, you won't know how to act or what to do with yourself, when you recover from all this surgery!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Yeah, I know! I feel so bad for him doing so much around here. He's such a good guy and deals with his own pain still, especially his knees. We definitely need to segue more into low-maintenance gardening. We've thought about letting areas go back to grass, but that pains me to imagine. :S

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Well, when you're back feeling up to it, a good weedblocker and thick mulch along with hardy perrennials will give you the best of both worlds....low maintance and pretty flowers!

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Good Morning All...31* here now...only got to 29...That wind last night was gusting over 30 mph, with sustained between 15 and 20 mph...It broke a branch in the river birch I had one of my bird houses hanging on... :-(
I put my pansies in a tray and put them in the garage last night too when I took out the trash...They were sopping wet from the rain, and I figured that would freeze on them...It is supposed to be in the high 50's tomorrow, so we shall see if this is the end of it...I sure hope so...but right at the moment, it is snowing hard and sticking....;-((
The blizzard of Easter in April 1961 comes to mind.... :-P

I didn't do much but putz around yesterday...I found my gold craft paints finally and 1 of my brushes I was looking for...Folded all of my clean curtains that I am keeping but not using, and got them put away in the chest...Took my antique hobnail lamp apart, and got it all cleaned up and ready to paint and put back together...

Today, I will get all of the things packed for the SA...Jims lab appt is Thursday morning so I can load them in the car tomorrow night and drop them off when we go, and that will get another pile of cwap by the door gone...There is more out in the garage to go too...but that's for another day...

Kimberley, I know the feeling of losing plants...There are so many here that I am afraid are going to get bit bad from this...and that makes me sad...The little Carolina Wren female is sitting under the *roof* of the big feeder huddled against the wall...It's even affecting the birds...

You all have a good day...and stay warm...

Thumbnail by DustyDS
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone.
Well...most of my plants look ok. Not sure how low the temps got here last night?
But I didn't see any frost this morning...just COLD.
I really think most of the plants will recover ok....since this cold shouldn't be prolonged...uhhh..famous last words?? I didn't say them..the weatherman did...lol!!
The eye drops seem to be helping ...but I will keep my appt with the eye dr today.
I have to go at 12:15...and it shouldn't take long. Then I am coming home and bake banana bread I think!
One of the ladies in my homemaker's club is in ICU this morning. Not sure if I told you all about her having breast cancer? Anyway...she had a mammogram last Sept...and everything was fine. By February...the lump was so large...they are giving her chemo to shrink it before doing surgery. She ended up in emergency on Sunday night....why..I don't know for sure? The other friend who called me this morning said it may be the experimental drug they are using...she wasn;t sure. It doesn't sound too good to me though. She is only in her early 50's....and one of the nicest people you would ever meet.
Her name is Barb Rice. Please keep her in your prayers and thoughts.
She loves growing flowers too.
Well..not much else going on here. I am thinking about going upstairs and getting on my treadmill this afternoon. I think I have progressed enough that I can do that now. And heaven knows I need to!!! Only 1/2 mile to start though.
Oh...and I rarely ever try to cover outside plants...mainly because the covers just blow off anyway!! Whatever makes it...makes it! And most things that get hit, will recover anyway..just a little later.
Take care and have a warm day!!

Don't think we had any frost last night, but just looked out and it is snowing sideways. Just a flurry, and I am sure that it will be short lived.

Doing laundry today, and anything else that hops in my path, not seeking anything out, will have to stumble over it.

Have a pizza pan full of meatballs in the oven. I make a bit batch and freeze them. I will use some of them tonight, the rest will be frozen for later use.

That's all that is going on here right now.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Save a piece of that banana bread for me!!!!!!
On the other hand I have to go uncover my plants,got down to 24* here no frost just bitter cold.
Marcia you have to but rocks on the edge of the blankets to keep them in place so the wind doesn't blow them off!!!LOL

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

LOL Don! Ok..I'll save you some!
What are rocks???? LOL!
Sounds like you were lucky out there..with the temps. I looked yesterday, and it said you were to get down to 18*??
I thought then...wow thats awfully low for you this time of year! But then...the weather is screwy all over now!
Bonnie...just take it easy...and don't try to do too much. It will wait on you...believe me..I know!! (((((Bonnie))))

Edited to say....and I need my blankets on ME!!!!!

This message was edited Apr 7, 2009 11:13 AM

Good Morning...

It only got down to 28º here overnight, but tonight is forecast to be colder. It's 33º right now, the high for the day, and light snow is blowing sideways. I about froze my hands off tying the cattle panels on Mike's trailer for transport earlier because I forgot my gloves. But, they are here now and I wish it wasn't so windy... I'd try to get one or two set up today.

I need to bundle up again and go check some plants. My hops had emerged and grown to about 10", never thought if it should be covered. I guess the peonies are toast? Or will be after one more cold night...

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Ok..I'm back home. I can't believe this. That eye dr didn't even look at my eyes! He came into the waiting room, and said...why are you here? I told him my family dr told me to come back to him, to make sure I had conjunctivitis...and to make sure the meds he prescribed were ok with him. He looked at the meds...and said..well yeah...this will work. Nothing more I can do about it! Honestly!! Wouldn't you think ONE of those drs would have wanted to make sure that is what I have????????? Anybody see why I don't like drs?????? Geez!
I know I won't be going back to that eye dr...don't care if he is the only one on my insurance in this area. I will go to Dayton!! As for the MD...not happy with him either, but no others around here I would care to go to either. I think it's called between a rock and a hard place!
Yeah, Darius, it was snowing all the way to Greenville and back when I was out. Snowing hard too! Makes me mad to waste gas like that, and my time!
Ok...enough griping...lol.
Going to go make my banana bread!

Cleveland Heights, OH(Zone 5b)

2 inches of snow in my yard. ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Bill said tonight will be worse cause the weatherman said the wind is going to die down. So if it's still and cold....uh oh...... I really did a bad job of covering, so when the wind dies down a little, I'll try to go fix them better.

Kimberly, hope you feel better soon, Girlfriend....seems like you've really had a time of it since that accident!

Bonnie, I hope you're feeling better too and can get some answers soon. Seems like if we know what we're fighting, it will be easier to fight!

Marcy....I don't have any bananas, but you saying that made me hungry for pumpkin bread, and I DO have the stuff for that! :o)

Later...

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Ain't that truth,my blood pressure meds ran out March 18th,Mail order says they didn't get a renewal from Dr,
Dr says they sent one,so I waited another 2 weeks no meds came in the mail.called the mail order pharmacy,they said Dr office never sent one,went back to Dr they said they did,so I said send another one,back and fourth,getting tired of this crab!!!!!
Save me a slice of banana bread!!!!!LOL

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Yep! We have to do this mail order stuff now too. I don't like it!
So you haven't been on your bp meds in all that time??????? NOT GOOD DON!!
Joyce...pumpkin bread sounds good too!! MMMMM...with cream cheese on it...lol!
Tony..keep that snow up there in Cleveland plz!
MMMMMMMMM...banana bread!!!!!!!! LOL!!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Oh your cold!!!
Snif snif!!!!LOL

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

I didn't cover any of my plants. The deer keep eating them !!!! uhg :(
Marcy i m glad your eye is better. To bad the dr's are a bit screwy ? that would frusterate me also
Bonnie i do hope you start to feel better soon. Do you like swimming ? could that be a excersice you could do ? someday ?
the kids are all fine, knock on wood. :) Dh leaves in 3 days :(
im not seeing anything from my hostas ? should i be seeing some green or is it still to early ? they are covered in leaves
wow Toni you got that much ? yikes . We got some but nothing stayed on the ground
GW so glad Howie is helping out , he sure is a keeper that man of yours :) How are you feeling ? pain getting better ? i hope so.
The GH is still standing ! yeah . so far so good . (knock on wood )

Thumbnail by taynors

here is a little table and chairs i designed (snicker,giggle) for the kids to play with . Tea partys await us.
oh oh i see a deer i bettter go scare it off.

Thumbnail by taynors
morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Sue, you need some dogs! That would take care of your deer quick. I just happen to have some puppies that are chicken friendly and sweet as honey. The chickens sleep with them. I know the chickens I'm bringing you to the RU. Now I need to send pics for the twins to pick out their pup each! LOL Gotta keep the sisters together. 3 are promised. only 3 left???
Geo

Good Evening.

I just watched a preview, and I recommend it...
Starting Monday, April 13, PBS will be airing a five–part series called We Shall Remain, exploring the history of the Native American people from colonial times to the present.

Preview We Shall Remain (25:53)
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/weshallremain/the_films/making_of?sssdmh=dm13.198381&o_iid=38769&o_lid=38769

Good evening folks. George that is shameless you trying to pawn off puppies to go with the chickens. Hehe, ( I have been known to shamelessly beg for somebody to take a puppy too)

Sue good looking green house, want to come down and build me one. I am a good helper, and can hand you tools, and keep you supplied with your favorite beverage, and snacks and meals and beds,? The kids could play with dogs and horses, and explore the woods.

Marcy, what a fiasco those Drs put you through. I can only imagine how frustrated you are feeling. Sure hope that your eyes get better, despite the lack of cooperation and treatment that you didn't receive.

Tropicman, welcome. I sure hope that you get your mail order prescriptions straightened out soon. It is not a good thing to be without the BP meds for any length of time.

Darius, what are you doing with the cattle panels? Wow you have got a lot of trees and shrubs coming. Getting all the holes dug before hand will be a big help.

Joyce, I am hoping that I get some answers for this health issue this week. Today was the 2 week point after having the blood drawn. Yes, if I can just find out what I am fighting, it would make it a lot easier. I never know from day to day, what I will be able to do. Yesterday was horrible having to take pain meds 4 times, and today, although I have hurt some, resisted taking anything. Sending t & p's for you Dad. How is mom doing?

Well off to check some other threads, and heading off to bed. If I feel decent tomorrow, I will go to the grocery, if not, we can survive another day or two.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Ok...telling about my banana bread.
I could tell Don could smell it...clear out in Kansas! LOL.
I even substituted 1 cup of sugar with Splenda...and it worked fine. It called for 1 1/2 cups of sugar...so I used 1/2 cup sugar with the Splenda. I also put hickory nuts in it. It was delicious!!
OH and Darius...remember the new beater I got...like yours? Finally used it...wow! I LOVE it! NO scraping the bowl..at all!! You have to try it!!
Supper was almost a disaster though. I was trying to cook....and my daughter called. I don't have a hand held phone in the kitchen.! Dropped the phone..yelled for her to hold on...and then cut her off when I picked it up!! LOL! And Dave came in about that time too....looked at me like I had lost it...lol! Oh well...we finally got to eat!
Our daughter is going to fly out to Oregon on her bd in May....to see her new homestead area! She is excited.!!
Ok...eyes are bothering me still...but think the drops are helping. I'm off to bed...to close them for a while...and have good dreams! Hope you all do too! Nite.

Good Morning, Happy Dance! Happy Dance! Happy Dance!! NO white lawn this morning, woohoo! The low wasn't as low as predicted, thanks be to all the Gods, Fairies, Wee Folk, Pan, Elementals, Nature Spirits and even Woodchucks if necessary!!!

Thumbnail by darius

Geo you have no idea how tempting that is on the puppy offer. !!! i was just mentioning that we need a Jackabee to T the other night LOLLLL but i am sure any dog with a love for chasing things will do :)
Bonnie i think i m getting pretty good at this hoop thingy GH. I know what not to do this year LOLLLL I would be glad to make you one . I will plan a weekend trip over yonder and build you one. :) oh savannah would love it !! then jump on over to Geo's . Hmmm i gots me thinking a summer vaca is due for me and the kids. hmmm
darius i love Pbs. That show sounds great. I will look for it . Good news on the snow for you too. We had no white stuff either and it should be in the 50's today ? hopefully not to windy.
Flowers are toast !!! oh well. :( next year will be better. I guess they wernt' a deer resistant strain ? LOLLL
i can put some ceynnne pepper on it to maybe help the other that are left ? human hair and have my son pee over there LOL
T leaves at 4 am thursday , gonna be a lonely easter :( we will do eggs tonight and decorate them after dinner.
not much else going on here. :)
have a great sunny day eveyone
sue

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Yeah, Darius!

How is everyone else's plants looking?

Marcy, glad the drops are helping, but sorry to hear about the frustration with the doctors. Pretty infuriating sometimes!

LOL, George...gotta do what you have to do to get rid of them pups!

Bonnie, hope today finds you doing better!

GW, same for you! This has sure been a long drawn out recovery for you.

Sue, we did it....started at the gym last night. Don't feel too bad this morning. I did use the complete round of equipment, but didn't put too much weight on them to over extend myself. Will increase the weight and number of reps with each visit. Will also add the treadmill or stair stepper on the next visit.

We're going to have a beautiful day today, with highs in the upper 70s. Same for tomorrow, but with a 40% chance of rain. Hoping I can finish getting the vegetable garden set up today to get these seeds and plants in the ground tomorrow before the rain comes in.

Well, that's about it...off to check on some more threads before I get started with my list....

great news Robin !!! good for you.
I always add more on mondays.
hugs
sue

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Sue, how often do you go? Al only wants to go 3 times a week, but I'm thinking about going just about every day while I have access to a gym. I feel really good this morning, as in more energy and not so "worn out". I remember years ago, it was only suggested to go 3-4 times a week, but I'm thinking of Biggest Loser and their workout schedule. Would love to lose 50#, but shooting for 30# right now.

Toni, forgot to say earlier that it was good to see you posting! Missed ya!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Darius, I liked your article today- I was just telling Dave about Dogwood winter and Blackberry winter yesterday.

Seems like we had enough clouds and precipitation during this cold snap to offer some protection. I'm not finding any damage. I was concerned about the Lilac buds and Lily sprouts, and so relieved not to wake up to gardens full of plants turned to snot. I didn't cover anything, usually don't. Too much to try to cover, and I feel guilty picking one thing to cover over another, LOL.

Been using this cold spell to do some spring cleaning. I'm gonna hit the bathrooms and the woodstove room today- hoping we're just about done with the stove! The dust from it drives me nuts. Looks like a warming trend is on the way, I want to get done inside so I can get out and plant some Lily bulbs.

Kimberly, keeping you in my T&P for a speedy recovery.

Hugs and waves all around.
Neal

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey y'all. I need to hop in the shower and get ready for a friend who's coming to visit, but I wanted to copy this over here for you from the prayer request thread.

Last night, something so comically bad happened I had to laugh later even though it was painful at the time. I lay down in bed around 4pm or so to read, having taken my painkiller around 2pm. The good thing is, I was able to get pretty comfortable so I hope to be able to sleep in bed fairly soon. The bad news was, I fell asleep and slept right through until 9pm - three hours past the time for my next dose. I was okay while laying down, but boy-howdy it was not fun when I got out of bed. I had also managed to get a crick in my neck, which triggered a round of muscle spasms.

Of course, since we'd all been snoozing, the dogs needed to go out. So, I put Emma on the metal cable and sent them out the back door. Emma took off to the left instead of going straight out into the back yard. She ran the cable right through the stones in our pond's waterfall. Aaaagh! It was freezing out, but there I was in my jammies, still kinked up with my spasms, pulling that cable out from between the rocks. I did a bang-up job of messing up the waterfall in the process, but I couldn't lift the rocks so they had to just splash into the pond. Howie will have to deal with that part.

Oh, and THEN she got the cable stuck around the stubble from the ornamental grasses Howie cut back a few weeks ago. I had to go back out and untangle those. So much for not stooping!

Yeah, now I laugh. LOL

Oh, Kimberly... sigh.

Tra-la-la... my first shipment of fruit bushes came today... blueberries and Nanking cherries from Nourse Farms. Box was crushed by FedEx but contents were well packed and I see no apparent damage. I should get them planted today, but the wind is dreadful; temps aren't too bad though, considering...

I was out in the wind earlier and planted half my onions... and just about froze my ears off! The rest of the onions can wait until tomorrow. Brent was going to work some for me in the yard today but I called and told him not to... It's too cold in the wind for me to be outside for long, and I don't want him working without my close supervision.

Thumbnail by darius

darius nice fruit you got thar. i have heard of Nourse farms . what doesn't the Fed Ex guys not crush is my wonder ? seems everytime i get a box from them its crushed. ? oh well. they climb all the steps to my front door , so i don't argue with that LOL
onions i didn't get this year :( stupid nursery that i always get them at is not open ? maybe they wont open this year , i m so bummed. I like the Texas sweet they have. No one else carrys them around here. that i know if :( oh well
Gw my goodness them doggies just don't realize you had spasms did they. Sounds like you had a Marley moment with your dogs LOL poor thing. Take care of yourself. Tell them dogs to behave.
ttyl
sue

Sue, that's why I use the internet and mail order...

I usually do for most my stuff but onion i always get from this nursery. :(
well maybe another place will have them. ?
might be able to still get some online ?

Good evening, I went to the grocery and DH wasn't home to help carry them in and put them away, so by the time I got that done, I was done in. Took a pain pill and hit the couch, until time to cook some supper. Cleaned the kitchen and then went to Bible Study. Have placed an order from a mail order catalog, for some witch hazel. So that is the sum of my day.

Darius, sorry that stuff seems to get smashed by the delivery companies. I think they shake the package and if nothing rattles, they stomp it and then if it rattles, know that it was glass.

Sue how long with your DH be gone this time? It will be warming up, and you will be so busy outside that you won't hardly know he is gone.

Good grief Kimberly, don't do the dog thing again, or if you do make sure Howie is there to rescue them.

All of my plants came through the cold spell without any damage. Since the lilies were just coming up, I did cover them, but not anything else. Sure hope this is the last of the cold spells.

Robin, I wish you luck with the exercising. As soon as I feel like it, I will start my walking. That works well for me, and since I have to travel about 20 miles to a gym, it is not economically possible, so will have to depend on the walking and the garden work for my exercise. When I get the pool open, I plan on spending some time daily there, doing swimming and some aqua aerobics.

Good night all.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Good morning!!!

I don't see any frost on the ground and good thing, cause I didn't know it was supposed to frost again and I didn't cover anything!

I'm going to run some errands today, with one of them being to go to Mark's work and see if any of those people want some caramels. I have a lot made up now so I'm hoping a LOT of people want some. It's a hard time to sell them though. People are watching their weight and their money!

We went to O'Charleys for dinner last night with our friends. They have a 2 for $20 deal and I loved mine and Bill hated his....the rolls are to die for and I'm proud to say I only ate one of them. It broke my heart to see one left in the basket when we left!

I'm so ready for warm weather to be here. I love it outside and especially in the garden...doesn't even have to be my garden!!!! :O)

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Goodmorning, Everyone!

Well, It got up to 83* yesterday and it's a balmy 61* here this morning up to 78* later, so might be able to get friend's vegetable garden started today. Before anyone has any ill thoughts about my temps today, we are also in for some possible thunderstorms and winds around 50 mph later today into tomorrow.

Had lunch with new friend yesterday and then went to Sam's. Another pleasant visit, although we sure don't have anything in common.

Going in later today and finally getting about half my hair cut off. Been thinking about it for a year or so.

Think a trip to the gym is still on the agenda when the guys get off work today. It's a good 35 miles one way for us, too, so this is quite a splurge. But with 2 to 4 of riding together and taking turns driving, it's not so bad.

That's it for my exciting life...can't even brag about how pretty my spring flowers are, since I have none here. Bummer.

Ya'll have a good day! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images